Sharife Cooper Eligibility Concerns?

Win4AU

19 hours ago, fishepa said:

I just want to know what the NCAA is doing?  Is anyone actively working on this case?  Or have they just stopped doing anything and someone will get to it when they have time?  This is ABSURD and is definitely NOT in the best interest of the student athlete.

Taking off the O&B glasses for a minute, you have to imagine the Cooper’s haven’t cooperated to the level the NCAA expects. (Not at all saying this is the wrong decision for them, by the way.)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am more of the mind that the reason they are not cooperating (1. NCAA is NOT to be trusted because:2. this may be an IRS issue rather than an NCAA one)

6 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Taking off the O&B glasses for a minute, you have to imagine the Cooper’s haven’t cooperated to the level the NCAA expects. (Not at all saying this is the wrong decision for them, by the way.)

I don't believe that is the case. The reason i say that if the family was not providing something whether for good reason or not the NCAA could say provide it or we will rule him ineligible.  There is something else going on. Maybe they want to rule him ineligible but because family has lawyered up the NCAA realizes they may be in jeopardy of having the whole house of cards coming crashing down on the NCAA. By not making a decision and having Cooper eventually go overseas they avoid making it to court where it might be proven that they have demonstrated different standards for different people who did the same things. That could both cost them a lot of money and also force them to possibly disband the NCAA as the monitor and have to come up with a more transparent process. 

On 12/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't believe that is the case. The reason i say that if the family was not providing something whether for good reason or not the NCAA could say provide it or we will rule him ineligible.  There is something else going on. Maybe they want to rule him ineligible but because family has lawyered up the NCAA realizes they may be in jeopardy of having the whole house of cards coming crashing down on the NCAA. By not making a decision and having Cooper eventually go overseas they avoid making it to court where it might be proven that they have demonstrated different standards for different people who did the same things. That could both cost them a lot of money and also force them to possibly disband the NCAA as the monitor and have to come up with a more transparent process. 

It has been rumored elsewhere that in addition to lawyering up the Coopers have declined to share financial information that the NCAA has requested. If that’s truly then we can’t really say that they’ve been fully cooperating (I’m not arguing that they should or shouldn’t be.)

I’ll preface all what I’m about to say by saying that I have no inside information and I don’t think any of us spectators really know the full extent of what is going on. But there are a few things that we do know. The first is that Omar Cooper started a sports agency that quickly partnered with Lil Wayne’s agency back in May of this year. Presumably Omar has benefitted  or stands to benefit from that partnership financially. You’d also have to imagine that in order to get that partnership he had to bring something to the table.

It’s not too hard to see why the NCAA might be concerned that one of those things might be the promise of a future client in the form of his son. It could set a dangerous precedent if an agent could ‘sign’ the next star by putting their parent on the payroll. For what it’s worth, I’m not saying that’s what is going on. And there are many other things that Omar brings to the table besides Sharife, (e.g. Okoro, his WNBA daughter Te’a, the NBA contacts that come from Te’a’s engagement to Dwight Howard, etc), but it’s not crazy to see why they’d want to make sure everything is above board. And if the Coopers aren’t cooperating, then is not hard to see an investigation dragging out. And there is still the distinct possibility that there is more stuff we don’t know about. 

I hate that Cooper can’t play while all this is being sorted out, and my gut tells me that if this is all there is, we will see him back this season. But I obviously don’t know that for sure. And I don’t think that we need an anti-auburn conspiracy to explain any of this. 

Any movement here? I saw reports that Sharife was warming up with the team for the Troy game and he was sitting on the bench close to the team as well. Is this a good sign or nothing?

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

Any movement here? I saw reports that Sharife was warming up with the team for the Troy game and he was sitting on the bench close to the team as well. Is this a good sign or nothing?

Sharife Cooper has received a temporary waiver from the NCAA and will start practicing with the team. Source is S Hooks from 247 BBall board

quote:
The NCAA has granted Sharife a temporary waiver to practice till mid January while they continue their dancing with Mr Cooper. This is good news for Sharife as he can now get proper reps again with the team. The saga contunues...VERY 2020 it is for sure!

That’s a great start!  Hopefully, this gives us somewhat of a time frame for him to be cleared!  These young ballers are starting to play well.   With Sharife at the 1 this team could be very dangerous come tourney time!

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That’s a great start!  Hopefully, this gives us somewhat of a time frame for him to be cleared!  These young ballers are starting to play well.   With Sharife at the 1 this team could be very dangerous come tourney time!

Unfortunately, no tourney for these young men. All other aspects of your post are spot on!!

Auburn basketball freshman Sharife Cooper practicing again

ByMARK MURPHY 

AUBURN, Alabama–Auburn freshman point guard Sharife Cooper, who has yet to be cleared to play in games this season, has resumed practice with the basketball Tigers.

"We are hoping it is going to get resolved,” Coach Bruce Pearl said on Monday as Cooper worked out with the Tigers, who are preparing for a Tuesday home contest vs. Appalachian State. “We are hoping that they (an NCAA Committee) make a decision. We would love to have that decision, you know, sooner than later, but, yes, we are still hopeful.”

Neither Pearl nor any other Auburn officials have given any specifics on why Cooper is awaiting a ruling from an NCAA committee to determine his eligibility, but for the first time since the eligibility issue arose he is being allowed to practice with his teammates.

In his absence another freshman, Justin Powell, has taken the lead role at point guard with help from sophomores Allen Flanigan and Tyrell Jones.

Cooper was expected to be a starter for the Tigers with the team replacing last year’s starter at the position, J’Von McCormick. Cooper enrolled at Auburn in June and practiced with the team all summer and much of the fall before being held out of practices. He was at Auburn’s game on Saturday when the Tigers defeated visiting Troy.

As a senior at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Ga., Cooper was ranked as the No. 5 point guard prospect the 2020 signing class by 247Sports. He was also ranked as the No. 2 prospect in the state of Georgia and the No. 24 overall prospect nationally.

10128708.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off Sharife Cooper (left) guards Justin Powell at an Auburn practice. (Photo: Shanna Lockwood)

As a senior the 6-1, 180 guard averaged 30.6 points, 7.8 assists and 3.6 steals per game as a senior in leading McEachern to the state playoff Final Four. As a junior he led McEachern to a state championship and a 32-0 record while averaging 28.6 points, 8.7 assists, 6.0 rebounds and 4.1 steals per game. He was named the 2018-19 USA Today National Player of the Year.

Powell has won praise from Pearl for his play at point guard, which earned the 6-6 guard SEC Freshman of the Week status last week.

Auburn will take the court again on Tuesday with a 2 p.m. CST home contest vs. Appalachian State. After that the team will take a break for the Christmas before returning to campus on Dec. 26th to prepare for the Dec. 30th SEC opener vs. visiting Arkansas.

Cooper was on campus for Auburn's previous game, a victory over Troy University, as the Tigers improved to 6-2. For the first time this season he was on the court with the Tigers during the early warmup period shooting the basketball. However, he was not in uniform and did not participate in the warmup drills closer to tip time.

4COMMENTS

Also means we should more than likely have a decision one way or the other by the middle of January. Still hoping to have that decision by the Arkansas game, though. Would love to be at full strength to kick off SEC play.

• WarTiger changed the title to Cooper received a temporary waiver to practice
48 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Unfortunately, no tourney for these young men. All other aspects of your post are spot on!!

I’m an idiot!🤦‍♂️   Totally slipped my mind for a moment there.   I blame it on the football coaching search fiasco.  😂

Does anyone know when he stopped practicing with the team in preseason??? Maybe this is why we came out of the blocks slow in the first 3 games......

11 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Does anyone know when he stopped practicing with the team in preseason??? Maybe this is why we came out of the blocks slow in the first 3 games......

I think it was a week or 2 before the season started that he stopped practicing. And it was definitely the reason we came out slow. We didn't know what Powell could do so we were trying to play with Turbo at PG for 20+ minutes per game. And that did not work. 

13 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Also means we should more than likely have a decision one way or the other by the middle of January. Still hoping to have that decision by the Arkansas game, though. Would love to be at full strength to kick off SEC play.

Those are too rational thoughts.

No way the NCAA is going to make a decision convenient to our season. It will happen by the middle of January, or it could be later based on past memories dealing w/ eligibility.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Those are too rational thoughts.

No way the NCAA is going to make a decision convenient to our season. It will happen by the middle of January, or it could be later based on past memories dealing w/ eligibility.

Stop trying to dash my hopes and dreams! Its the Holiday season and I'm allowed to think positively even if it's stupid to do so. :P

56 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I found this on youtube today as a recommended video. Its a garbage take. Please let this fool know what's up.

He has a couple of videos on Sharife. Both are trash.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, tigerman1186 said:

At least a couple months.

Archived