Sharife Cooper Eligibility Concerns?

Win4AU

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Just curious...why would you want to censor the information in this forum, especially if it’s been known by posters here for a couple of weeks? I’m just asking, not criticizing...

@Swamp Eagle it’s considered a rumor until there’s actually a report of some kind and Posting rumors is against this forums rules, especially ones that originated from behind a pay wall as this one did. Hence why I was waiting for a report before posting the thread.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, tigermac said:

FWIW, this video was just dropped by SLAM an hour ago and it features Sharife working out in the Arena. A lot of the songs playing in the background were just released in the last five days, so he’s still here and he’s still working!

https://youtu.be/qxSvJxvCmII

I think he legitimately has love for the team, so that’s probably working in our favor as far as him quitting on the season. Also no real advantage for him not to sit and chill for at least a couple months, let these cases die down, see how global lockdowns go, and then make a decision. Seems like his family has a good head on their shoulders

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Swamp Eagle it’s considered a rumor until there’s actually a report of some kind and Posting rumors is against this forums rules, especially ones that originated from behind a pay wall as this one did. Hence why I was waiting for a report before posting the thread.

Gotcha

I would hire more lawyers, especially a loud mouthed, eloquent one,then  go threaten the NCAAZI's in a very public manner. Obviously I don't know the details, but a major lawsuit filing scares the NCAAIZ's. Their collection plate is real low right now

Been really impressed with Flanigan's shot development.  His stroke is way better this year.  His ability to knock down the 3 and hit free throws has pleasantly improved.  His dad must be proud to see his son living up to his jersey #.

Man, we really need Sharife. Or, least we need a PG. Powell looks serviceable but it just does not look to me like Jones is a very good option as PG; the offense just looks poor with him running it. He doesn’t have a ton of game experience so maybe I’m being unfair but not terribly optimistic.....

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

maybe I’m being unfair

@fredst You’re not. He was recruited to play the two. He’s playing out of position By necessity.

7 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, we really need Sharife. Or, least we need a PG. Powell looks serviceable but it just does not look to me like Jones is a very good option as PG; the offense just looks poor with him running it. He doesn’t have a ton of game experience so maybe I’m being unfair but not terribly optimistic.....

Not unfair. I think he’s playing out of position, and for two years now due to depth at the PG position, we’ve tried to force a square peg into a round hole. Not really his fault. Just circumstances out of his control. Hate it for him because I do think he has value as a shooter and could be a solid secondary facilitator on drive and kicks. Just don’t think he’s suited to be a offense manager and distributor and facilitator first. Doesn’t seem to be his game. 

13 hours ago, chizhead said:

I would hire more lawyers, especially a loud mouthed, eloquent one,then  go threaten the NCAAZI's in a very public manner. Obviously I don't know the details, but a major lawsuit filing scares the NCAAIZ's. Their collection plate is real low right now

I don’t think we have the upper hand in dealings with the NCAA at this time. 

10 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

Been really impressed with Flanigan's shot development.  His stroke is way better this year.  His ability to knock down the 3 and hit free throws has pleasantly improved.  His dad must be proud to see his son living up to his jersey #.

pretty much 2x as good as he was on offense last season. I think what our coaches teach in 3 pt shooting is pretty solid. What they teach for FT shooting (and who they recruit for FT shooting) is the issue 

On 11/27/2020 at 10:43 PM, alexava said:

I don’t think we have the upper hand in dealings with the NCAA at this time. 

Pretty sure he was saying Sharife and Omar should lawyer up, not Auburn, who assuredly has lawyers on staff already.

Still no ruling on Sharife?  This is BS. If NCAA is not equipped enough to rule one way or the other before the season starts. The kids should be allowed to play at no penalty to the school....I’m sure AU has done all they have been asked to do, and I would guess in a timely manner....without knowing the exact details of the Memphis kid last year. Was it Wiseman??  Is this a similar situation. Meaning were they waiting on the NCAA to make a ruling on him? Like we are waiting for them to rule on Sharife?  I know the details of why they haven’t ruled may be different. Just wondering if it was that they hadn’t ruled and Memphis decided to play him?  

Like everybody I am confused by the NCAA. Either they have some damning information on Cooper or his Father or they don't. If they have some rule he is not eligible or not eligible for a year depending how serious the information is, or if they really don't have any rule in his favor and let him play.

If I was him I wouldn't lawyer up now as some are saying but if they later rule him eligible I would lawyer up and sue the NCAA for damages for delaying his ability to learn the system and showing his skill set to allow him to get to the next level. and mental anguish. It is unfair to both the player and the University to leave a player in limbo after school has started. The only way it would be legitimate to delay is if NCAA is waiting on documentation from the player or the school and that has not been provided.

16 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Why specifically game 7?

6 game suspension, I mean it took us 6 games to figure out we better let him play or we gonna have legal troubles that might lead to bad PR?    I wonder if they know they got nothing but are just trying to punish him as long as they feel they legitimately can before the PR goes bad.  

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Play him.

At this point, we're not playing in the post season anyway.  

What we got to lose?

Because Memphis did this with Wiseman, the NCAA has announced their case will be the first to go through the new independent review process. There is no possibility of appeal. 

Edit: “this” meaning they chose to play Wiseman after being warned by the NCAA that his eligibility was under review.

NCAA needs to be reeled in. I was in Memphis during Calipari's recruitment of Derrick Rose. Cap took an NCAA rep with him for every visit and cleared every aspect of his recruitment as it happened.  So he played one and done and had he hit a free throw Memphis would have won the title.  Then years later they come back and make a bunch of accusations and vacate Memphis season. I know people don't like Cap but he was solid on this and they still screwed him.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

Unlike other schools involved we already had 1 Player Wiley sit out a year which is the equivalent of losing one scholarship and another Purifoy for over a year which is equivalent of losing another scholarship/ Plus we basically shut down recruiting for a year. Now we are self imposing a one year ban from after season play. It seems we have already done more self penalizing then NCAA does for schools that did nothing to self police. So why do you think NCAA may still take away a scholarship or two. 

It seems like by trying to be good citizens we will be punished worse then those who did nothing. If that is the case then we must go to court and fight any new penalties.

With the ban we just added we have already matched what was doled out to Okie state. Okie State is appealing that ruling and I expect that they will see a reduction in penalties. Especially sinced shools like LSU have steered players to LSU and received no penalties to date which is much more egregious.

AU basketball is always getting shafted by the NCAA. They seem to hate us. 

18 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

NCAA needs to be reeled in. I was in Memphis during Calipari's recruitment of Derrick Rose. Cap took an NCAA rep with him for every visit and cleared every aspect of his recruitment as it happened.  So he played one and done and had he hit a free throw Memphis would have won the title.  Then years later they come back and make a bunch of accusations and vacate Memphis season. I know people don't like Cap but he was solid on this and they still screwed him.

Memphis people still loathe Calipari too. 

Archived