Trump Train Ran Out of Track[Biden Transition Edition]

ShocksMyBrain

President-Elect Biden To Begin Formal Transition Process After Agency OK

gettyimages-1229755762-e1c4ce6aea3b04cc9

President-elect Joe Biden speaks Monday in Wilmington, Del., during a virtual meeting with the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

Mark Makela/Getty Images

Updated at 8 p.m. ET

Joe Biden's administration can formally begin its transition to power after a previously little-known federal agency on Monday ascertained Biden as the apparent winner of the election more than two weeks after the Democrat became president-elect. 

The awaited decision from the General Services Administration provides the incoming Biden team with federal resources and access to agencies.

The news came as President Trump, who has still hasn't conceded the White House race, tweeted he was "recommending" the GSA and others in his administration begin "initial protocols" to kick-start the formal transfer of presidential power. 

While Trump said he had recommended the moves, Emily Murphy, the Trump appointee who heads the GSA, wrote in her "letter of ascertainment" to Biden that she had reached the decision independently.

"Please know that I came to my decision independently, based on the law and available facts," Murphy wrote in the letter, dated Monday. "I was never directly or indirectly pressured by any Executive Branch official — including those who work at the White House or GSA — with regard to the substance or timing of my decision. To be clear, I did not receive any direction to delay my determination."

Article continues after sponsor message

Murphy had faced criticism from Democrats, national security experts and health officials, who argued that delaying the formal transition was hampering the incoming Biden administration from getting up to speed on the response to the coronavirus pandemic and jeopardizing national security. A handful of GOP lawmakers also called for Murphy to allow the transition to get underway.

"Contrary to media reports and insinuations, my decision was not made out of fear or favoritism," she wrote. "Instead, I strongly believe that the statute requires that the GSA Administrator ascertain, not impose, the apparent president-elect. Unfortunately, the statute provides no procedures or standards for this process, so I looked to precedent from prior elections involving legal challenges and incomplete counts."

ap_20322087577788_wide-e37685c2e954c5bb0

General Services Administration Administrator Emily Murphy had been blocking Biden's team from receiving government funds and office space to begin the transition.

Susan Walsh/AP

Murphy wrote she had reached her decision "because of recent developments involving legal challenges and certifications of election results."

The president has not conceded the election despite numerous legal setbacks and the certification of votes in some key states, including Michigan on Monday.

Trump also wrote in his tweets that his "case STRONGLY continues."

Trump thanked Murphy for her "dedication and loyalty" and also bemoaned the criticism she received. 

The decision means Biden's team should now have access to government office space, will be able to meet with Trump administration officials to discuss policy issues, and will receive some $7.3 million to pay staffers and other expenses.

• ShocksMyBrain changed the title to Trump Train Ran Out of Track[Biden Transition Edition]

We are in a sad state when acting like a professional gets you placed on a Cancel Culture List. Kudos to her.

It is past any reasonable time to move on. 

Archived