Cost/Benefit of Gus

auburnphan

We all know the buyout numbers and the strong probability it is the reason that he is still around.    With the early signing period two weeks away our recruiting is showing signs of a down year.  Knowing that we have a lame duck coach and it is being used against us on the recruiting trail, can we take another season of the program taking damaging hits in recruitment?  Are the savings on the buyout worth the talent loss the program is gonna take on?  

I am reserved that he is gonna be around another year, but the signs are showing me the next coach is gonna have a much harder rebuild the longer this goes on.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn needs to cut all ties with Malzahn. The longer they keep him, the worse things will get. Teams are using this against us in recruiting.

I’m not convinced that the PTB don’t care more about their influence than building a winning program. This is what is causing more apathy with me than anything else. If they are not concerned with winning then why should I be?

31 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We all know the buyout numbers and the strong probability it is the reason that he is still around.    With the early signing period two weeks away our recruiting is showing signs of a down year.  Knowing that we have a lame duck coach and it is being used against us on the recruiting trail, can we take another season of the program taking damaging hits in recruitment?  Are the savings on the buyout worth the talent loss the program is gonna take on?  

I am reserved that he is gonna be around another year, but the signs are showing me the next coach is gonna have a much harder rebuild the longer this goes on.

You bring up a good point.  However, the benefit of firing gus is a lot of intangibles.  For instance as you so appropriately brought up the damaging hit to recruiting is intangible with the costs having to be estimated such as a reduction of revenue because of losing, loss of revenue because we lose our branding.  I don't know whether the PTBs don't know how to do this or are just to lazy to do it.

We'll know a lot more after the next two weeks. There might be more job openings. I'm starting to believe COVID doesn't matter as much as we thought. Programs aren't sacrificing this year for the future. 

If we lose to TAMU there's a good chance we don't show up against MSU. God willing this happens so the nightmare can end.

49 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Serious question. Who are the PTB? The BOD? Alan Greene? President Gouge? Anybody else?

The thick wallets.

1 hour ago, LeonardAU said:

Just a reminder that Gus Malzahn earned just over $19,000 today and every day this year.

He earned $700,000 for that performance last Saturday. :puke: 

2 hours ago, LeonardAU said:

Just a reminder that Gus Malzahn earned just over $19,000 today and every day this year.

Man that just pisses me off . 

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Cost: 16.2 mil (Jan1)

Risk: The future of the program

We will be down to 16.2 on Jan 1st 2021? Confident on that?

If so, he needs to be gone. This years recruiting class isnt good enough to keep him. 

15 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

We will be down to 16.2 on Jan 1st 2021? Confident on that?

If so, he needs to be gone. This years recruiting class isnt good enough to keep him. 

Year Salary Remaining Buyout
2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

Already going to have USCe and Vandy looking this year and if we're wanting a big name hire could potentially be competing against Michigan, PSU and Texas next year for a coach. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:
Year Salary Remaining Buyout
2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

So AU could go three weeks with him in limbo to save 5 million. If they beat MSU, he won't be fired the next day, but could totally see him getting canned on 1/1/21. If they lose to the pirate, leave him in Starkville. 

If Vandy and USC had not fired their coaches, I wouldn't be so optimistic. If Texas and someone else starts making moves then I would REALLY feel like AU would move quickly.

6 hours ago, wcware said:

I’m not convinced that the PTB don’t care more about their influence than building a winning program. This is what is causing more apathy with me than anything else. If they are not concerned with winning then why should I be?

I think they do care. Not enough though to pay him 21 million dollars and then buy out the rest of one of the most expensive staff's in the country. If he did not have that buy out he would of been gone after 2018. It is the only thing that has saved him.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I think they do care. Not enough though to pay him 21 million dollars and then buy out the rest of one of the most expensive staff's in the country. If he did not have that buy out he would of been gone after 2018. It is the only thing that has saved him.

I hope your right. Let’s just say my confidence level is not riding high with any of the big money decision makers at Auburn, but then again I’m not the one spending over $30mil to buy him out

6 hours ago, jluvah said:

Serious question. Who are the PTB? The BOD? Alan Greene? President Gouge? Anybody else?

Harbert (the guy who is infatuated for Gus and pushed the hardest for the ridiculous new contract) and Yella Fella. They are 2 of the main ones with some of the deepest pockets and would be the ones who would actually be fronting a lot of the buy out.

Just now, wcware said:

I hope your right. Let’s just say my confidence level is not riding high with any of the big money decision makers at Auburn, but then again I’m not the one spending over $30mil to buy him out

Auburn has always fired a coach when they needed to be fired. Gus would of been the same way but Leath and Harbert made that very hard to do with the asinine buy out.

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

So AU could go three weeks with him in limbo to save 5 million. If they beat MSU, he won't be fired the next day, but could totally see him getting canned on 1/1/21. If they lose to the pirate, leave him in Starkville. 

If Vandy and USC had not fired their coaches, I wouldn't be so optimistic. If Texas and someone else starts making moves then I would REALLY feel like AU would move quickly.

Herman is about as close to a lock as it comes to getting fired. Honestly suprised they did not do so after their latest loss this weekend. Good thing with Texas is we are probaly not going after the same candidates. At least at the start. They will be big game hunting going after Urban and then Stoops. If/when they strike out on them that is when we have to worry about the oil tycoons "stealing" one of the candidates we would otherwise be getting unless Texas called.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Herman is about as close to a lock as it comes to getting fired. Honestly suprised they did not do so after their latest loss this weekend. Good thing with Texas is we are probaly not going after the same candidates. At least at the start. They will be big game hunting going after Urban and then Stoops. If/when they strike out on them that is when we have to worry about the oil tycoons "stealing" one of the candidates we would otherwise be getting unless Texas called.

Texas might also go the NFL route. Not sure there are any Spurriers, Sabans or Harbaughs currently, but there might be an OC or something. I don't really know what the market's like, but I know a lot of things have to be in place for an NFL coach- that a Texas would actually want- to move back down. Saban was miserable in Miami and bama backed up the truck. Spurrier failed big time in Washington. The only college job Harbaugh would've taken, probably, opened up. Etc. 

Michigan might be a little gun shy on that strategy this go-round, lol.

This perpetual nightmare called Gustavo Malzahn has to end eventually. Auburn football is being destroyed right before our eyes. Come on PTB do your jobs and get us a marquee head football coach NOW! 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Texas might also go the NFL route. Not sure there are any Spurriers, Sabans or Harbaughs currently, but there might be an OC or something. I don't really know what the market's like, but I know a lot of things have to be in place for an NFL coach- that a Texas would actually want- to move back down. Saban was miserable in Miami and bama backed up the truck. Spurrier failed big time in Washington. The only college job Harbaugh would've taken, probably, opened up. Etc. 

Michigan might be a little gun shy on that strategy this go-round, lol.

I am fascinated on who they get if they actually make a move on their hometown son. Michigan is in a even worse spot than AU when it comes to optics imo. Auburn has at least shown we can beat bama. Michigan just gets their ass kicked literally every single year vs Ohio State. Ohio State just takes their soul and snatches it. I have absolutely no clue who they would go after/could get. Fickell would be the obvious choice since he has been in big 10 country his whole coaching life but he may be holding out hope for a easier job.

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

With the early signing period two weeks away our recruiting is showing signs of a down year.

That is an understatement at the moment. Ranked #51 at the moment. Shockingly bad considering we have 25 to offer and we are not even close to that number. This might be 2008 level bad. 

Archived