No More Small Ball on Defense: A Realistic Defensive Rebuild

Malcolm_FleX48

46 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I do really like the idea of being multiple on defense. Being able to show different things to the offense to confuse them. I think that is what the best defenses outthere do that we do not. We pretty much stay in base D of 4-2-5 all the time. I'd love to see some 3-3-5 type line ups as well to mix in with the 4-2-5 base we run most of the time. II think we played the 3-3-5 some last year. I think we used that against LSU and it worked great against them. The thing is though you gotta have some special DL guys to pull it off. And i'm not sure we had the personal this season to do it. 

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I want us to do anything but line up in this same defense and play cover 2 every damn play. We don't really blitz or anything. I feel like of Steele doesn't have some uber transcendent players on the d line we're just out of luck

The beauty of this defensive style is that you don't need transcendant defenders. Only big ends that can 2 gap and remove the run, and a massive nose to basically make lead plays and any given A gap non-existent. Plus if he gets a one on one with the center, chances are the center will end up in the QBs lap. Their long bodies also make it harder for QBs to throw. 

LBs are easy to find because they're the edge guys that may not already be 240 - 250 and have some experience playing in space. Hone their speed, explosiveness, eyes, and let them be great in coverage. Then in the pass rushes, they don't need to be 250lbs+ because they'll either be blitzing from depth or able to win thanks to the Bulls in the China shop at end playing in a 4/4i.

Its also a great recruiting point for these guys because they get to prove versatility for the next level and get higher sack totals at LB.

Also, my first post showed that these guys are out here at all star rankings. Just a matter of picking the ones that show tools that AU likes and filling up the class with them.

Edited by Malcolm_FleX48
  • Love 1

Thanks for your insight Flex. Your knowledge is appreciated. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

And it harkens back to the classics. 

Back when we had some good things to talk about. Hopefully the hope and excitement return soon.

I get tired of watching our undersized LBs getting swatted away by athletic OLs, H-Backs, RB stiff arms and Big WRs.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What I like about the 3-3 is the ability to bring pressure and attack from multiple angles at any point without flexing or tipping our intention.  

Exactly. It's a great utility defense, especially if you can make your Jack safety a great do it all guy with a 225lb frame. Now you never need to sub packages, and on the off chance you do, it can be another jack for your Sam LB and you haven't lost any size against the run or blitzing potential. 

4 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Just a matter of picking the ones that show tools that AU likes and filling up the class with them.

...and being able to develop them to their full potential.  To me, that's been one of the biggest issues under this regime.  

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Exactly. It's a great utility defense, especially if you can make your Jack safety a great do it all guy with a 225lb frame. Now you never need to sub packages, and on the off chance you do, it can be another jack for your Sam LB and you haven't lost any size against the run or blitzing potential. 

Paging Mr. Sherwood.  We could and should be using him like seattle did with Chancellor.

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

I don't think I have ever seen a post on this board with this much detail and work put into it. Thanks!

This . Incredible detail . Flex what’s your thoughts on the SC program? We need the Scott Cochran type to grow these boys in my opinion. We have been undersized and weak for years 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

...and being able to develop them to their full potential.  To me, that's been one of the biggest issues under this regime.  

Paging Mr. Sherwood.  We could and should be using him like seattle did with Chancellor.

Yeah, tell me about it. 

We can convert fairly easily, maybe a little difficulty since our DL is sort of under weight, but it's a low-overhead personnel grouping, find another smoke/sherwood, put him in the slot, make your practice drills for defense circuit style, with 2nd and 3rd level defenders cross training in pass rush, blitzing drills, tackling drills, coverage footwork drills, and 7 on 7 training. Eventually your LBs and Safeties will become interchangible once recruiting picks up and then you create your own pipeline as HS defenses copy your scheme and players start specializing in that role in hopes of playing it in college...

The SS should be free to hang around the box without having to worry about giving up too much deep.

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This . Incredible detail . Flex what’s your thoughts on the SC program? We need the Scott Cochran type to grow these boys in my opinion. We have been undersized and weak for years 

Strength and conditioning can only work if your players follow the nutrition guidelines and plan properly. I remember that going to the wellness kitchen was really about it as far as eating properly. They gave you your goal and you made it happen, also with the healthy proteins and added supplements but that was it. 

The point of this is that most of these guys with the exception of the safeties and corners won't need to bulk up too much to be at their proper goal. In fact, for LBs, keeping them in the 220-235lb range will be the challenge because some might be tempted to overgain. 

Instead you can make them focus on strength splits rather than too much hypertrophy and have extra time to work on short area explosiveness.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUloggerhead said:

Malcolm, are you a coach?  And if not, why not?  Your knowledge would definitely be of use to a staff, HS or college.   

Scientist. 

This is a hobby at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Scientist. 

This is a hobby at this point. 

Understood.  Your analyses are insightful, to say the least.  If that video clip is of you blowing up the double-team, then I'm convinced you would have something to teach on the field should the scientist thing not work out for you.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'll agree that we were too small at LB this year when Britt went out. But i don't think we need a change in defensive philosophy. I think we just need capable backups that can fill roles when people go down. If we had someone to plug in for KJ then that would have helped a lot with our defense getting pushed around. Well that and also having people who could replace or kind of replace Brown and Davidson. I personally don't think the coaching staff tried to go smaller on the DL this season....we just lost some monsters from last years team and we did not have new monsters to replace them with. 

For LB i think we need to stay smaller except we need that guy at MLB that can blow up those inside runs. I mean if we can get 240+ pound guys that can also cover backs and slot guys then sign them up!! But with the spread offenses and pace that is out there you need LBs that can cover ground and people more than you need guys that can play inside the box. You still need the big guy in the middle and that is what we were missing this season. 

I think our LBs are ok when we have a dominant force on the DL like Marlon and Derrick. That is crucial in our scheme to free up our LBs. IF we can't keep guys like that on the field consistently year in year out, then maybe a shift in philosophy is necessary.

I do agree we should still recruit bigger guys and use them for what they are good at as the OP stated.

Edited by Tigerpro2a

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think our LBs are ok when we have a dominant force on the DL like Marlon and Derrick. That is crucial in our scheme to free up our LBs. IF we can't keep guys like that on the field consistently year in year out, then maybe a shift in philosophy is necessary.

I do agree we should still recruit bigger guys and use them for what they are good at as the OP stated.

The reason the shift should be mandatory is that we are seeing how impossible it can be without a top 3 defense class every year to be a contender. The defense needs to evolve for sustainability. You can build depth much easier when recruiting is easier year in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

This all started when they insisted McClain and Hightower play d end. Courtney what's his face they insisted to be a d end. I remember they wanted baron to play linebacker........

Who was that big safety we had that they refused to let stay at safety? I forget his name but he couldn't get time for us but I think he played a bit on the NFL?

Darren Bates maybe?

• Thanks 1

Honestly, the best and most refreshing post I have read on here in a long while! While I doubt CGM is reading this and going to pick it up next season, its at least fun to dream......

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I want us to do anything but line up in this same defense and play cover 2 every damn play. We don't really blitz or anything. I feel like of Steele doesn't have some uber transcendent players on the d line we're just out of luck

I agree to an extent. I really just think our front 4 were not near as talented as in recent years. I mean I’m not sure we had one really good DLineman this year. It seems like forever since we had tried and true DE’s that were talented at pass rushing. That lack of player there could be a combo of recruiting, scouting and finishing as in keeping a sought after recruit from flipping. RG has been around a long time now and has been productive everywhere, but is he slipping in scouting and recruiting the best players out there? He’s always been one of our best recruiters. Hard to get a read on this D this year due to injuries and just the craziness of the year in general. As usual, I’m always more concerned about our O and obviously with good reason. 

7 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree to an extent. I really just think our front 4 were not near as talented as in recent years. I mean I’m not sure we had one really good DLineman this year. It seems like forever since we had tried and true DE’s that were talented at pass rushing. That lack of player there could be a combo of recruiting, scouting and finishing as in keeping a sought after recruit from flipping. RG has been around a long time now and has been productive everywhere, but is he slipping in scouting and recruiting the best players out there? He’s always been one of our best recruiters. Hard to get a read on this D this year due to injuries and just the craziness of the year in general. As usual, I’m always more concerned about our O and obviously with good reason. 

May do an offensive revamp along the lines somewhere, but obviously that's a more polarizing idea. Still, D needs to transform. AND FAST.

30 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

May do an offensive revamp along the lines somewhere, but obviously that's a more polarizing idea. Still, D needs to transform. AND FAST.

There is potential for your LBs. 

Sr Wooten 6'2" 229

Jr McClain 6'0" 211

So Pappoe 6'1" 222

tFr Tisdol 6'1" 231

tFr Steiner 6'0" 227

tFr Riley 6'4" 209

&

Jr Sherwood 6'2" 220

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

There is potential for your LBs. 

Sr Wooten 6'2" 229

Jr McClain 6'0" 211

So Pappoe 6'1" 222

tFr Tisdol 6'1" 231

tFr Steiner 6'0" 227

tFr Riley 6'4" 209

&

Jr Sherwood 6'2" 220

Definitely have a base. But I would put Sherwood as Jack Safety. 

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

I just want to throw this out there...Avalos, Oregon's DC, runs a 3-3-5. I'm just saying...

@Malcolm_FleX48, rather than play our ends as 3's, which allows good blocking angles for the OL, especially on IZ, I'd rather line them up as 4is (a TITE front) forcing more difficult angles and taking away the B-gaps and the ability for the guards to pull. What do you think?

Anyone on the Aranda coaching tree in mind?  Aranda himself?

9 hours ago, autan said:

I get tired of watching our undersized LBs getting swatted away by athletic OLs, H-Backs, RB stiff arms and Big WRs.

I appreciate what those undersized guys are doing, they are OLB, Zakoby was never meant to play ILB.  Normal sized ILB'er's, which we had on the roster, bailed or haven't put forth any effort.  Not to mention, if the DL did their job, the LB'er would have a much easier time.  No linebacker is going to win against an athletic lineman.   

One of the few bright spots for me this year is watching McClain and his 240 heart battle each Saturday.  McClain and Pappoe are true warriors, playing most every snap this season.  Unreal for the amount of punishment they take on each play. 

• Like 1