Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

But how does she like living in LA?  Someone pointed out she may have family in Columbus and wants to be closer to them. It's a strange season with the virus and political unrest...makes some folks want to be closer to home.

Read also that they don’t like antifa filled Oregon. Could be a culture thing as well if you have an issue with the local community. And maybe Mario is more of an under armour guy!

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

And Gus hired Grimes twice! 😡

As the head coach, the blame falls at Gus’s feet. 

Grimes was a good coach the first time around. Go look at our OL recruiting, and the number of players we put in the NFL early in Gus's tenure. When he came back, he was kind of a different person. He shouldn't have hired him back, and at a minimum should've let him go a year earlier. But this wasn't what my comment was about. 

My comment was about recruiting. The person I was responding to said Gus is a poor recruiter, specifically calling out 3 positions. I was showing that we had recruited 2 of those pretty well, and that Gus had made a move to improve the recruiting of the third one. 

This goes back to what I've said several times on here. Recruiting was not the main issue. To some extent, we had a development problem. But mostly, it was game preparation. Our guys showed up too many times unprepared to play, and our game plans going into games were often questionable. 

2 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

He technically is the HC right now and will have a record of 1-0 or 0-1 after the bowl game. 

This was in response to someone saying Steele would be a good hire. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

He'll be a HC in the NFL within 5 years

We can't be scared a coach is TOO good to coach at auburn and might leave.    I am fine with a great coach coming in  and using us as a stepping stone.    Hell,  That could even be in the contract and known to both parties.    Just  give him a 5 year (expandable) contract.  Gives us 5 years to search for a possible replacement if he decides to go back pro.  Or,  extend the contract if he doesn't.   Auburn is a pretty nice place to live

It’ll never happen but I’ve advocated for years to pay our head coach the average of sec HC salaries and make it crazy loaded with championship, winning, graduation and ncaa integrity incentives.

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

We can't be scared a coach is TOO good to coach at auburn and might leave.    I am fine with a great coach coming in  and using us as a stepping stone.    Hell,  That could even be in the contract and known to both parties.    Just  give him a 5 year (expandable) contract.  Gives us 5 years to search for a possible replacement if he decides to go back pro.  Or,  extend the contract if he doesn't.   Auburn is a pretty nice place to live

I'm not scared of that.  I'm saying I don't think he leaves the NFL because that's where he likes to be and it's where his future lies.  He's an NFL guy, not a college one.  No harm in that.

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

This was in response to someone saying Steele would be a good hire. 

The record for baylor was 20 years ago when baylor was still a nothing school. I dont want him as choice but just saying under a NORMAL firing situation i could see where he would be a decent hire. But in auburns situation they need to go big

9 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

If MC’s wife really did hate living in AL the situation with him and AU would have ended long ago...period. 

I’m just telling you what my aunt knows and she was/is very well connected to the program and has been for the last 40 years.  I’m talking about flies out to Stallings ranch connected. Was interviewed on espn about Stallings connected. Is close with Saban and VERY close with his wife, with Kirby and VERY CLOSE with his wife, and just about every coach that’s been there in the last 50 years connected and can call them up right now solid.

But if you have a better source that contradicts what my aunt has said, by all means share it.

Money has a way of changing things and they may end up here (I hope they do), but living in Alabama was not her favorite place to live by a long shot.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not scared of that.  I'm saying I don't think he leaves the NFL because that's where he likes to be and it's where his future lies.  He's an NFL guy, not a college one.  No harm in that.

I don't know enough about him to know all that.  I just remember being very impressed with the way he ran the O at LSU.

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m just telling you what my aunt knows and she was/is very well connected to the program and has been for the last 40 years.  I’m talking about flies out to Stallings ranch connected. Was interviewed on espn about Stallings connected. Is close with Saban and VERY close with his wife, with Kirby and VERY CLOSE with his wife, and just about every coach that’s been there in the last 50 years connected and can call them up right now solid.

But if you have a better source that contradicts what my aunt has said, by all means share it.

Money has a way of changing things and they may end up here (I hope they do), but living in Alabama was not her favorite place to live by a long shot.

Can you get me ms. terry's digits?? I know she has to be lonely.

1 minute ago, Jones Field said:

I read the opposite...that his wife hates Oregon.

That's what I've always heard too. Maybe she's just not a fan of college towns. 

screen_shot_2017-12-09_at_4.23.07_pm.png

Holy cow she's gorgeous 😍

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I don't know enough about him to know all that.  I just remember being very impressed with the way he ran the O at LSU.

He came up through the Saints and his highly thought of in NFL circles.  There's a reason he only spent one year in Baton Rouge.

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Just noting that the above assessment was proline to living in Oregon. Perhaps west Georgia isn’t so bad after all. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

That's what I've always heard too. Maybe she's just not a fan of college towns. 

screen_shot_2017-12-09_at_4.23.07_pm.png

Holy cow she's gorgeous 😍

The man can recruit

4 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Posts like these make me even more thankful we made a change. That mediocre mindset started at the top and trickled down. And not just to fans 

That’s not what he’s saying

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Brady is a bad option anyway. He's had 1 year as a college OC one 1/2 a year as an NFL OC (and his offense hasn't really even done well at Carolina). There's not enough data to have any confidence in him as a head coach of a major college football program. 

5 hours ago, jAUSon said:

I would assume the "small group" at Auburn has learned more hard lessons than any other "small group" of insiders in all of cfb. I have to believe they're of the right mind-set this time around and are getting ready to upset the apple cart. But thanks anyway Alex.

Ehhh we’ll see. I wouldn’t give them the benefit of the doubt right now

Archived