Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

phil and ron seem to be pretty damn sure its steele saying he was set to be hired before gouge decided to do a committee, says money is the main factor

we screwed ^

Cap. They don't fire Gus if they know money is the problem.

Just now, Ryan Sanders said:

Nah. You don't fire your coach COVID-19 season after going 6-4 in the SEC.. throw him $21million.. and then hire Steele because of money issues. 

And it’s not $21m up front anyway. Half in the first 30 days and the rest spread out over 4 years. 

42 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

We fired a coach that was losing 1-2 games more than he should ever year, but at least he didn't have a losing season. If we are going to make that move, it needs to be a solid hire that is very unlikely to send the program backwards. I haven't seen that kind of name thrown out. I'm really concerned we end up like Tennessee, Texas, Michigan, Florida State, USC, or any of the other programs that have traditionally been good and now suck. 

I agree with your sentiment that we have to make the right hire given the circumstances. When we fired Chizik, there was really only one direction to go after 2012.

Gus was safe, but safe gets you left behind when your rivals decide to commit. We have the talent to win 9+ per year at a minimum, and we need to hire accordingly. 

I'm happy he's gone, but we better not be vanilla with this hire. We need a proven winner that is intense and can recruit. That is what will get us to where we should have been all this time. 

3 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

phil and ron seem to be pretty damn sure its steele saying he was set to be hired before gouge decided to do a committee, says money is the main factor

we screwed ^

Something very fishy is going on. I’m not sure if they’re being lied to or if they’re lying on purpose 

3 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Nah. You don't fire your coach COVID-19 season after going 6-4 in the SEC.. throw him $21million.. and then hire Steele because of money issues. 

there is no scenario too insane for Auburn's TPTB

26 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Joey Gatewood- Would probably be our QB if we hadn't signed Bo

Sean White- underrated

Jeremy Johnson- Had a ton of talent, and even people outside the program expected a lot of him. 

Jarrett Stidham- Was drafted by the Pats

Also, he had a part in bringing us Cam Newton and Kiehl Frazier (another highly sought after prospect that just didn't pan out) when he was a coordinator. Getting QBs here hasn't been the problem. It has been developing and using them correctly.

Tailbacks in 2017? We had Pettway and Kerryon as costarters that year. Behind them, we had Kam Martin (4 star) and Devan Barrett (4 star). We also had Malik Miller, who was believed to be an underrated 3 star with a lot of potential until he sustained a bad injury. In fact, the coaches were so comfortable with our running back depth that Barrett ended up moving to DB and faded into obscurity. The problem was that 3 of these guys, including the two starters, were injured in that game. (Pettway might have been suspended, but he was unavailable either way.)

Offensive line had been the only recruiting weakness, and it was because JB Grimes had lost any fire he'd had previously after battling cancer. He just was no longer a coach people wanted to play for. Bicknell was believed to be the right man to turn that around, and we hadn't really given him enough time to see if it had an effect. 

And Gus hired Grimes twice! 😡

As the head coach, the blame falls at Gus’s feet. 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Looks like he’s fairly confident. What a mess 

Somebody needs to tell this guy that there is a big difference between living in Alabama and living in Auburn. 

9 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Steele wouldnt be a bad hire under normal circumstances. We just paid $21m to get rid of gus though. 

KS would bring an attitude back to auburn, toughness, accountability. Three keys to his defensive success

Capture.PNG

4 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Looks like he’s fairly confident. What a mess 

My aunt worked on campus and was close to the athletic department when Cristobal was there and she said that Mario’s wife did not like living in Alabama.

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

A friend mention Joe Brady.  I don't know anything about him other than his stint at LSU. 

If he wouldn’t ditch us for an NFL HC job, I’m in.

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

My aunt worked on campus and was close to the athletic department when Cristobal and she said that Mario’s wife did in not like living in Alabama.

For 6+ million a year I bet she'd be okay. Plus Auburn > Tuscaloosa 

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

A friend mention Joe Brady.  I don't know anything about him other than his stint at LSU. 

He'll be a HC in the NFL within 5 years

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

My aunt worked on campus and was close to the athletic department when Cristobal and she said that Mario’s wife did in not like living in Alabama.

But how does she like living in LA?  Someone pointed out she may have family in Columbus and wants to be closer to them. It's a strange season with the virus and political unrest...makes some folks want to be closer to home.

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

My aunt worked on campus and was close to the athletic department when Cristobal was there and she said that Mario’s wife did not like living in Alabama.

Well she earned two degrees from Georgia State, so maybe she'll be happy being close to Atlanta. I'm sure $4.5 mil a year might do the trick too.

Archived