Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Michigan is negotiating an extension for Harbaugh.

Good to know that while we may be flush, we haven't cornered the market on stupidity. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Big shout out for proper word usage here. I only learned a few years ago the difference between nauseated and nauseous, and now I notice it used improperly eeevvvvvvverywhere. 

It definitely pays for Auburn fans to know the difference. 

Everytime I use it, I loose the game. Could of won it. It seperates me as the worst. Its terrible. I could care less. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Tony Elliot?

I'd maybe be okay giving that one a try. He's a bit of a risk though. He's never coaches anywhere major but Clemson, and I'm curious how he'd do without Dabo around. 

Harbart HAD his turn last time. THIS time, someone else makes the call. And it better NOT be Steele. Harbart is risking losing half the fan base. Steele is NOT going to excite recruits the way we need.

6 minutes ago, aub4life said:

Well, then screw MC.  Auburn offers him a chance to coach in the best conference and being closer to family and home.  Take what was offered and get your big $$$ after proving yourself.

I love Auburn as much as the next guy, but this is giving off some primadonna highschool cheer captain energy. I don't know if you know this but the CEO of Nike is an Oregon grad and donor. If Oregon wants Cristobal badly enough, the check will confirm it.

Best conference is a weak argument when many millions are thrown your way and your team has only to beat up on the PAC-12 weaklings on route to the playoffs. Again, I love Auburn too... but grow up.

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

It just honestly makes so little sense financially and strategically that it would be a **** up of monumental proportions. I refuse to believe Allen Green or even Harbert or Yella Fella are that stupid. 

Financially, it would actually make pretty good sense in that they wouldn't have to pay a large salary (I'm assuming Steele would be cheap) and buyout for the new coach in addition to Gus's buyout.

Strategically, I agree. It would be different if we had some monumental signing class in the balance, but it's the opposite of that, so continuity is immaterial from a recruiting standpoint. From the standpoint of giving the program a much needed boost and winning football games, it wouldn't seem to make much sense. Unless they have that much faith in Morris to run a good offense once free of Gus's oversight. But that's a mighty big leap of faith. 

1 minute ago, fasttimes said:

why hasn't jeff brohm name been mentioned? 

I know that it is Purdue, but his records have been 7-6, 6-7, 4-8, 2-4. I don't know enough about Purdue football to know if he's the problem, but his records don't exactly scream great coach. 

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Everytime I use it, I loose the game. Could of won it. It seperates me as the worst. Its terrible. I could care less. 

But you're still very hype and bless.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Financially, it would actually make pretty good sense in that they wouldn't have to pay a large salary (I'm assuming Steele would be cheap) and buyout for the new coach in addition to Gus's buyout.

Strategically, I agree. It would be different if we had some monumental signing class in the balance, but it's the opposite of that, so continuity is immaterial from a recruiting standpoint. From the standpoint of giving the program a much needed boost and winning football games, it wouldn't seem to make much sense. Unless they have that much faith in Morris to run a good offense once free of Gus's oversight. But that's a mighty big leap of faith. 

But why pay Gus when you’re going to just keep Steele. You just shelled out 20 million dollars to a guy with way more head coaching ability than Steele. 

Just now, Viper said:

Here here.

Your not wrong.

17 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I think you and I are the only ones that feel this way about Cristobal. Everyone seems to think he's going to energize our recruiting. But recruiting so clearly was not the problem with Malzahn. On the field coaching was, and, from what I see out of Cristobal, he has the same weakness. My expectations with him would be the same as they were for Gus... 1-2 games more a year. 

really?

name a QB he recruited besides Bo that was worth his salt in the last 8 yrs.  You know Lamar Jackson was at Auburn at camp and wanted an offer, but didn't get it.  Fact.  

How about that pipeline of O Linemen?

Or the depth at tailback that cost us the 2017 SECCG.

We see this differently.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But why pay Gus when you’re go into keep Steele. You just shelled out 20 million dollars to a guy with way more head coaching ability than Steele. 

yeah, this is don't get. especially when signing day is a couple days away. makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I don’t think Tim Cook has much to do with AU sports. He would give millions for better classrooms and computers... 

FWIW - He’s led the fight song twice, the last one after the 19 IB. I think the first one was after the 19 Oregon win. He also admitted on Gameday he & Phil Knight bet a bottle of very expensive wine on the game. 

You may be right...he may not offer a penny towards athletics, including this coaching search, but he damn-sure cares about AU fball.

32 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

In Yella Fella We Trust 🙏🏻

111471CA-F051-4D81-8E67-401ED9FE8E33.jpeg

How did we get here...the man that was hell-bent on bringing in Nutt is now the torch bearer for sanity? 

Can someone check Coach Dye's coat pockets for a short list of candidates?

6 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I'd maybe be okay giving that one a try. He's a bit of a risk though. He's never coaches anywhere major but Clemson, and I'm curious how he'd do without Dabo around. 

He can bring Dabo with him if he wants. I could live with it. 

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I don’t think Tim Cook has much to do with AU sports. He would give millions for better classrooms and computers... 

unfortunately Tim has not donated a computer lab to Auburn or any cool enhancements....wish he would.

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

This guy must write horoscopes for his full time job.   

Marcello is a joke. 

I honestly think he hates Auburn and I think it goes back to Gus not coaching at Arkansas.  I have not facts to back this up.

Archived