Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But why pay Gus when you’re go into keep Steele. You just shelled out 20 million dollars to a guy with way more head coaching ability than Steele. 

Eh, that's debatable. He was terrible at a terrible program 18 years ago. That means he left his job as Baylor's head coach 4 years before Gus's first year in college ball in any capacity. He's probably learned some things since while working under some of the best in the sport. 

I'm not advocating for Steele as head coach at all, btw. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I think you and I are the only ones that feel this way about Cristobal. Everyone seems to think he's going to energize our recruiting. But recruiting so clearly was not the problem with Malzahn. On the field coaching was, and, from what I see out of Cristobal, he has the same weakness. My expectations with him would be the same as they were for Gus... 1-2 games more a year. 

Recruiting was never an issue under Gus? Wtf are you smoking? That comment alone takes ANY credibility away. Gus chased stars....the best available left overs in most cases. Never put an OL together his entire tenure. Never recruited to the needs, just plucked stars out of nowhere and tossed them on the field. This is literally what got him fired. That, and inability to develop a gameplan around the guys he brought in. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone reading some of this stuff.......

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

How did we get here...the man that was hell-bent on bringing in Nutt is now the torch bearer for sanity? 

Can someone check Coach Dye's coat pockets for a short list of candidates?

If you believe the 24/7 mods (Ron), he says Rane wants STEELE.

Just now, Jones Field said:

If you believe the 24/7 mods (Ron), he says Rane wants STEELE.

Those guys are idiots

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

Ever heard of Apple? They make these things called iPhones. I hear they’ve sold a couple of them. 

Yeah about that though... I'm pretty sure Tim Cook couldn't care less about the football program. When I was at Auburn in the Art Program I scheduled my saturdays around football and (occasionally) basketball but I got so sick of listening to my classmate whine and cry about how the home game was going to keep them from entering the building so that they can work on their projects on saturday... Nothing more torturous than the wailing and gnashing of teeth from a buncha nerds.

And Tim Cook is a nerd. I'm glad he gives to Auburn and wants the university to succeed, but I would be shocked if the athletic department saw anything besides a sliver of those contributions.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Art Brilles just resigned from his high school coaching job...

Wouldn’t that be something. No way we hire Briles though. Too much s*** going down with LSU for us to try to sneak this hire in unnoticed. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Those guys are idiots

If YellaWood and Harbert Construction are both behind Steele, then I think our fate is sealed. This may turn into a depressing situation. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Wouldn’t that be something. No way we hire Briles though. Too much s*** going down with LSU for us to try to sneak this hire in unnoticed. 

The Tiger Woods Effect comes to mind.

Texas Tech. They are about to fire their coach.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

g8 b8 m8 🤣

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Since the beginning, my gut feeling has been Freeze. Of course, there are plenty who swear that Auburn would never hire him. They might be right. I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The implication is that he's headed to Liberty. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Texas Tech. They are about to fire their coach.

That’s probably a nice little low key school for him to rehab at. I just don’t see us getting away with hiring him. The media would eat us alive to the point of no return. 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

dont know how credible “lil mook” is but he is verified and has a lot of followers so I’ll choose to believe it 😂

Well, if he's even half of what Big Mook was, then we have ourselves a new coach.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

autigers07 who is one of the most reliable people for years on the bunker said faction 1 is led by harbert and they want steele. Faction 2 is led by Yella wood and they want Cristobal/outside hire. Faction 3 is led by Gogue and they want a national search lol. BAHAHAH this is AUBURN.

Well then let Faction 2 be the committee and while Faction 1 goes to lunch let's get this thing done. 

There, that's handled. 

That’s probably a nice little low key school for him to rehab at. I just don’t see us getting away with hiring him. The media would eat us alive to the point of no return. 

Looks like it is just as OC though. Tech is keeping their Head Coach but firing their OC. Sound familiar?! lol

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

really?

name a QB he recruited besides Bo that was worth his salt in the last 8 yrs.  You know Lamar Jackson was at Auburn at camp and wanted an offer, but didn't get it.  Fact.  

How about that pipeline of O Linemen?

Or the depth at tailback that cost us the 2017 SECCG.

We see this differently.

Joey Gatewood- Would probably be our QB if we hadn't signed Bo

Sean White- underrated

Jeremy Johnson- Had a ton of talent, and even people outside the program expected a lot of him. 

Jarrett Stidham- Was drafted by the Pats

Also, he had a part in bringing us Cam Newton and Kiehl Frazier (another highly sought after prospect that just didn't pan out) when he was a coordinator. Getting QBs here hasn't been the problem. It has been developing and using them correctly.

Tailbacks in 2017? We had Pettway and Kerryon as costarters that year. Behind them, we had Kam Martin (4 star) and Devan Barrett (4 star). We also had Malik Miller, who was believed to be an underrated 3 star with a lot of potential until he sustained a bad injury. In fact, the coaches were so comfortable with our running back depth that Barrett ended up moving to DB and faded into obscurity. The problem was that 3 of these guys, including the two starters, were injured in that game. (Pettway might have been suspended, but he was unavailable either way.)

Offensive line had been the only recruiting weakness, and it was because JB Grimes had lost any fire he'd had previously after battling cancer. He just was no longer a coach people wanted to play for. Bicknell was believed to be the right man to turn that around, and we hadn't really given him enough time to see if it had an effect. 

Archived