Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Behind Bama, UGA, LSU, and Texas A&M at the least right?

And a host of others. Try closer to 10th in the conference in facilities.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Cristobal took FIU to its first two bowl games in program history. They have NEVER been very good. The fact that they became decent while he was there is a testament to MC.

Plus they were under crippling restrictions before he got there 

Just now, Mike4AU said:

If Mario accepts the job AU needs to tell him announce it or no deal.  

Pretty sure Auburn is going to announce it as soon as the PTB get their ducks in a row...

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

By who 

The new head coach. :tease:

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

And a host of others. Try closer to 10th in the conference in facilities.

That's what I thought but I didn't know which direction you were arguing lol

1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

Anyone can see there is a huge difference between living in Auburn and living in T-town. Tuscaloosa would be one of my last choices of places in Alabama to raise my family. This isn't a UAT thing I just can't stand the city. 

I agree with you and could well could be the case with MC’s wife.

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

His players are going to ask.  I suppose he will lie to them through the game, then leave them.  I would think it better to tell them up front, play for one last time together etc. Not a coach though.  What's better as a coach? 

Just because he would not announce it publicly this week doesn't mean he wouldn't tell his players.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Joey Gatewood- Would probably be our QB if we hadn't signed Bo

Sean White- underrated

Jeremy Johnson- Had a ton of talent, and even people outside the program expected a lot of him. 

Jarrett Stidham- Was drafted by the Pats

Also, he had a part in bringing us Cam Newton and Kiehl Frazier (another highly sought after prospect that just didn't pan out) when he was a coordinator. Getting QBs here hasn't been the problem. It has been developing and using them correctly.

Tailbacks in 2017? We had Pettway and Kerryon as costarters that year. Behind them, we had Kam Martin (4 star) and Devan Barrett (4 star). We also had Malik Miller, who was believed to be an underrated 3 star with a lot of potential until he sustained a bad injury. In fact, the coaches were so comfortable with our running back depth that Barrett ended up moving to DB and faded into obscurity. The problem was that 3 of these guys, including the two starters, were injured in that game. (Pettway might have been suspended, but he was unavailable either way.)

Offensive line had been the only recruiting weakness, and it was because JB Grimes had lost any fire he'd had previously after battling cancer. He just was no longer a coach people wanted to play for. Bicknell was believed to be the right man to turn that around, and we hadn't really given him enough time to see if it had an effect. 

I did a poor job of making my point obviously:  

outside of Bo - he didn't recruit a QB (out of high school) worth his salt.   Potential?  Sure.   Did they make it?   No and yeah Stidham made it, after coming here from Baylor.

You made my point on RBs - we had backs, but they were not any better than an injured Kerryon.   Thus, if your best back is an injured back, with a leg injury, your depth is not SEC caliber.  The stars and hype is one thing, but can they play? They could not for whatever reason.    Every team has injuries.  Pettway was not solely because of injury...

I still contend we have lacked depth (SEC quality players ) at RB, QB and OL since Gus took over the team.

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s not the opposite. She can hate both.

To be fair though, it would mean something if this person's info was correct. If she just hates the state of Alabama, she'd probably push to stay in Oregon. If she hates both, her hating Alabama becomes a wash. 

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Cristobal took FIU to its first two bowl games in program history. They have NEVER been very good. The fact that they became decent while he was there is a testament to MC.

They fired him after he regressed. Thats not building a program. Building a program means continual progression. Thats not what hspoenned here. If he was regarded as someone that built FIU then why was he fired?

Just now, AUFriction said:

To be fair though, it would mean something if this person's info was correct. If she just hates the state of Alabama, she'd probably push to stay in Oregon. If she hates both, her hating Alabama becomes a wash. 

Didn’t say it had zero relevance, if true.

I’ve been in the basketball forum screaming #freesharife! Did something happen while I was gone. You think Gus will do any better in his bowl game this year?

Just now, Rednilla said:

The new head coach.

Only makes since if the hire is Kevin Steele, oh boy. If Auburn got rid of Gus for Steele then wow. Let’s hope that’s not the case for the sake of Auburn.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just because he would not announce it publicly this week doesn't mean he wouldn't tell his players.

It isn't unheard of for a coach to announce anyways.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I still contend we have lacked depth (SEC quality players ) at RB, QB and OL since Gus took over the team.

Correct and not even debatable. 

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I did a poor job of making my point obviously:  

outside of Bo - he didn't recruit a QB (out of high school) worth his salt.   Potential?  Sure.   Did they make it?   No and yeah Stidham made it, after coming here from Baylor.

You made my point on RBs - we had backs, but they were not any better than an injured Kerryon.   Thus, if your best back is an injured back, with a leg injury, your depth is not SEC caliber.  The stars and hype is one thing, but can they play? They could not for whatever reason.    Every team has injuries.  Pettway was not solely because of injury...

Gus has never recruited with a plan, other than getting the players/stars that help the recruiting class look better than it is.

If we do hire MC, I'd love to celebrate with you all, but I'm heading right over to the Oregon forum, because the entertainment level there is going to be epic. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

If we do hire MC, I'd love to celebrate with you all, but I'm heading right over to the Oregon forum, because the entertainment level there is going to be epic. 

Don’t you jinx it!!!! You jinxer!!!!

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Will be joining you!

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Either we get him or we get him a huge raise. No matter what they'll be pissed. 

Archived