Just So We Are Clear Here, I Knew This ClusterF*** Would Happen

Malcolm_FleX48

Going to take a bit of a personal lap for something that I said earlier that I knew would come to pass. Not sure how spectacular of a prediction this was, but seeing as Billy Napier has turned down the job, Sark didn't interview, and the Steele plan may (Tentatively) be blown up, we now have a bit of a disaster on our hands. IF THERE WAS NO DEAL WITH CRISTOBAL BEFORE FIRING GUS, WHY DID YOU FIRE HIM POWERS THAT BE?

This to me seems like some hamfisted move to try and establish a faux coaching search so that Steele can be their last resort pending how the team does in the bowl. Its sort of crazy to watch this play out in real time TBH. I think that when they are interviewing coaches, they aren't willing to give them full program control like the big guys in Saban and Smart have, they want their hands in and on the program despite already running it into the ground. They know if the interview Sark and he wants the job, they won't have merit to turn him down.....

I'm sorry, but this has been a mess from start to middle. (We aren't even at the finish yet.) Why wait until the end of the season to fire Gus? Such a move killed the recruiting EVEN MORE because there was too much uncertainty and it created negative recruiting lines for other schools without even letting some new prospective coach come in and cool things down. WHY?! Fire Gus mid season and get a head start. USC had no problem doing this... I don't get it.

Now you have a subpar recruiting class, exodus of recruits, horrid facilities and money being hemorrhaged to pay several coaches not to coach and you don't even have a guy in hand. If they fall back on Bill Clark, I wouldn't want him to take the job, not because I don't like Clark (He was my old college coach) but because he would be walking into a firestorm and there would be NO WAY FOR HIM TO REBUILD w/ the massive disadvantage the leadership has put Auburn in. All our rivals got stronger, we got weaker. One year's class means a lot because you're behind on the depth and development curve. Meanwhile Alabama has 4 of the 9 top WRs and a Myriad of OL. LSU is back to its former glory too, and UGA is going to have an embarrassment of riches at the Line and LB Corps. Don't think there are any rockstar coaches on the market that can salvage such a pitiful situation, not to knock the kids we have coming it..... Also I don't have faith in Auburn to run a scheme that plays to the strengths of being underpowered because our current roster is all over the place. If the TF QB doesn't work out, its back to Bo (Who we largely don't even know how he will fare having to not only fix his mechanics behind this OL w/ little reinforcements, but also learn a new scheme.)

It isn't looking good. Talk me off the ledge. 

UPDATE:

4 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

JGT:

Latest on Napier:

We’re told he pulled his name from consideration after he was offered limited flexibility on staff hires. Napier wanted full authority. It’s a ballsy move for a younger coach, but he’s not your normal young coach. His pedigree is outstanding and he also has that trailblazer attitude.

He’s the kind of guy who walks when he’s seen enough. He’s heard the chatter about Auburn’s political treachery, saw it with his own eyes with the staff edict and said: Nope, I’m good.

Interesting twist to say the least.

Just more confirmation....

image.png

image.png

• Malcolm_FleX48 changed the title to Just So We Are Clear Here, I Knew This ClusterF*** Would Happen

Wish I could talk you off the ledge, but I think you’re spot on.  We’re looking at a solid six years before AU Football is worth paying attention to again.  The events over the last few years are a self-imposed death penalty.  

Best I can say is enjoy basketball and baseball.  Unless the PTB goes and dicks that up too.  

3 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Wish I could talk you off the ledge, but I think you’re spot on.  We’re looking at a solid six years before AU Football is worth paying attention to again.  The events over the last few years are a self-imposed death penalty.  

Best I can say is enjoy basketball and baseball.  Unless the PTB goes and dicks that up too.  

The worst thing is that we are literally handicapped at QB, the most important position in Modern College Football and there isn't much option there because very few transfers want to come to a program in turmoil for their hard earned eligibility now with the new Transfer Portal option.

And its extremely rare for a True Freshman to come in and play lights out..... And Bo is Bo, so we know where that will take us.

Gus must be rolling on the floor with laughter, in between counting his money, with this coaching search gone awry.  No doubt there is a moral to be learned from this implosion if only those who caused it would look in the mirror.  Just sad for the institution.

Deep down we all knew something like this would happen. We're just the ever hopeful fanbase, or used to be. Hopefully a large amount wake up and take aim at the pocket book. Only way this crap will ever stop.

Any Good Coach: “If y’all are going to hold me accountable I must have complete control.”

Auburn BOT: “Oh no we can’t do that.”

Any Good Coach: “Ok see y’all later.  Good luck with your search.”

To be fair, I had been begging for Auburn to throw its full support behind Gus... Leave no question as why he failed if he failed.

I'm am beyond frustrated with the love affair of the Pat Dye days. I like everyone have all respect for what he means to the University, but for the love of all things holy STOP CHASING THAT DRAGON. College football has changed and we can ill afford to keep operating our program chasing nostalgia. Otherwise we may as well be the next Tulane or Suwanee... A relic of a time long past.

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

To be fair, I had been begging for Auburn to throw its full support behind Gus... Leave no question as why he failed if he failed.

I'm am beyond frustrated with the love affair of the Pat Dye days. I like everyone have all respect for what he means to the University, but for the love of all things holy STOP CHASING THAT DRAGON. College football has changed and we can ill afford to keep operating our program chasing nostalgia. Otherwise we may as well be the next Tulane or Suwanee... A relic of a time long past.

Lol, funny, I actually insinuated that Gus was forced to politic and I think we have some new info to shine a new light onto this:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/173382-conspiracy-time-did-gus-play-politics/#comments

Gus needed to be fired.  Pure and simple.    Years of mediocrity and no inkling that it was going to get better.      The fact that we step on our peckers when we go to hire a new coach is a totally different story.

2 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Gus needed to be fired.  Pure and simple.    Years of mediocrity and no inkling that it was going to get better.      The fact that we step on our peckers when we go to hire a new coach is a totally different story.

I don't disagree, I just think we waited too long to do it and then didn't have backup plans. 

i wonder how much input tim jackson has in all this. years ago he convinced some he knew a lot about football and his pretty much been a thorn in auburns side since.

so flex who is left out there that we would have a chance with that we could get? and was it clarks team that almost beat auburn that one year?

man. go to the rant and other places and we are the laughing stock of the nation. like the one cat on the rant said......." we are down to yellow wood or mickey d's fry cook for coach. lol we are our own worst enemy............

Well, this is a huge CF for sure, but it's not that far off the norm for coaching searches. Look at Texas. They made a huge well-publicized play for Urban Meyer. He thought it over and said, Nah.  Now they may be keeping Tom Herman after very publicly going after Meyer. That situation is almost as big as CF as ours.  I still think the flame out on Napier may have been intentional. Make him an offer, but attach conditions that you know he won't accept.  Then settle for who you really wanted. The guy who will let you be on the sidelines with your buddies. SMH.

The next time a bammer, or anybody really, makes fun of the Auburn Football program, I'm gonna agree and just laugh right along with them. 

We absolutely suck at this and totally deserve whatever cruel fate awaits us.

40 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

image.jpeg

Archived