Bo Nix

Swamp Eagle

34 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

So I was told Pat Nix was assured that if Bo came to Auburn Gus would only be Bo's coach for no more than two years.  Hopefully Gus didn't do so much damage that Bo can get on the right track

Was it Kevin Steele who told you that? 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Bo will be here for another two years and then he'll be in a booth or working a 9 to 5 job. I hope he's studying hard.

Nah.  Follow after his dad and become a HS coach

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Was it Kevin Steele who told you that? 

No.  I don't know anyone on Malzahns staff

We're just going to hire Mushchamp in an unconventional staff position. For about 6 months he'll shadow Bo and give him some 24/7 emotional support.

Muschamp_Mad.gif

46 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Nah.  Follow after his dad and become a HS coach

You mean one of those coaches that says do as I say, not as I do?

I didn't watch the game because I was at work and was forced to listen on the radio. The one thing that never changed throughout the game was every deep pass was over thrown. Like everyone else on this board I'm hoping CBH can correct Bo's flaws and get him on track to becoming the QB he and all AU fans want him to become.

I think Bo needs to find a really good offseason personal QB coach and get some decent coaching that can improve his fundamentals regardless of the philosophy of his next college QB coach.

I'll be honest. Despite the fact his dad was coached by people like Jimbo Fisher, I think Pat coached Bo very similarly to how Gus coached QBs and how Chad Morris coached QBs. Avoid sacks, avoid forced balls, throw the ball away if something isn't right.

The whole idea of scrambling at the first sign of pressure, rolling out as wide as possible to be absolutely certain you are outside the tackle box, and then trowing the ball away, is something Stidham also did.

20 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

So I was told Pat Nix was assured that if Bo came to Auburn Gus would only be Bo's coach for no more than two years.  Hopefully Gus didn't do so much damage that Bo can get on the right track

Thats interesting because I was told by MULTIPLE PEOPLE including mods ON THIS BOARD in the signing day thread the day he signed that Patrick and Bo had stated multiple times that he would only be coming to Auburn if Gus was the coach. 

Both cant be true.

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I think Bo hit bottom yesterday.  Time for Harsin to rebuild him.  

Bo passed for just under 300 yards and 0  INTs vs Northwestern. He has a number of games much worse in comparison.

Seems you need to learn what the term "rock bottom" means. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thats interesting because I was told by MULTIPLE PEOPLE including mods ON THIS BOARD in the signing day thread the day he signed that Patrick and Bo had stated multiple times that he would only be coming to Auburn if Gus was the coach. 

Both cant be true.

If that's true then Bo is much worse in my eyes

Every coach on earth tells their QB not to take sacks or turn the ball over. I don't get what people are saying when they being this up. What point is being made?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Every coach on earth tells their QB not to take sacks or turn the ball over. I don't get what people are saying when they being this up. What point is being made?

True but it's possible Gus preached this to an obsessive degree. It fits how Gus seemed to approach coaching - scared and paranoid. Playing not to lose. I mean I get nervous just looking at Gus chewing his fingers off on the sideline. 

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Both cant be true.

WELL I WAS TOLD BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE INCLUDING MODS ON THIS BOARD THAT PAT WAS TOLD GUS WOULD BE AT AUBURN FOR NO MORE THAN TWO YEARS. 

SO LOOKS LIKE YOURS CANT BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously your response is that of an angry child.  So now that Gus is gone Bo will clearly leave the team and wait for Gus to get his next job and follow him because what YOU were TOLD was BO committed TO Gus AND not AUBURN so BO is ONLY loyal TO Gus. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

True but it's possible Gus preached this to an obsessive degree. It fits how Gus seemed to approach coaching - scared and paranoid. Playing not to lose. I mean I get nervous just looking at Gus chewing his fingers off on the sideline. 

That doesn't make any sense, ok he said it alot. That doesn't fit at all. There's not a coach on earth that says just throw the ball up. I would guarantee he doesn't say it more than saban. 

And even with that being said what's the point of saying it. Well Bo is told not to take sacks so that explains why he don't throw the ball accurately? 

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That doesn't make any sense, ok he said it alot. That doesn't fit at all. There's not a coach on earth that says just throw the ball up. I would guarantee he doesn't say it more than saban. 

And even with that being said what's the point of saying it. Well Bo is told not to take sacks so that explains why he don't throw the ball accurately? 

No it definitely doesn't excuse what Bo does. At all. But I do think from watching the tentativeness of Stidham grow in year 2, Jeremy's confidence crumble from his first game on, and now watching the weird stuff Bo does (particularly the constant throwaways and deep overthrows) that their has to be some approach that Gus used that made our QBs play negatively-charged. 

Maybe it's not on Gus. It's possible those are just 3 individual head-cases. But the longer they all played at Auburn, the more bizarrely tentative they became. What's wild about Bo is he has moments of ridiculously risky play, and then moments of ridiculously scared play (throwing a flat route 8 yards short of the line on 3rd and 10, hurling a ball 10 miles out of bounds instead of giving his guy a shot, or the latest - throwing a ball at a WR blocking downfield on a run play, which garnered us an offensive PI, and THEN GETTING MAD AT THE RECEIVER - new low for Bo).

I don't think Bo has a clue what is up or down right now. He looks so lost. Whoever's fault it is, and I am sure it's mostly him, it looks like he is totally scrambled.

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No it definitely doesn't excuse what Bo does. At all. But I do think from watching the tentativeness of Stidham grow in year 2, Jeremy's confidence crumble from his first game on, and now watching the weird stuff Bo does (particularly the constant throwaways and deep overthrows) that their has to be some approach that Gus used that made our QBs play negatively-charged. 

Maybe it's not on Gus. It's possible those are just 3 individual head-cases. But the longer they all played at Auburn, the more bizarrely tentative they became. What's wild about Bo is he has moments of ridiculously risky play, and then moments of ridiculously scared play (throwing a flat route 8 yards short of the line on 3rd and 10, hurling a ball 10 miles out of bounds instead of giving his guy a shot, or the latest - throwing a ball at a WR blocking downfield on a run play, which garnered us an offensive PI, and THEN GETTING MAD AT THE RECEIVER - new low for Bo).

I don't think Bo has a clue what is up or down right now. He looks so lost. Whoever's fault it is, and I am sure it's mostly him, it looks like he is totally scrambled.

I wonder about that, I actually don't think Johnson got scared. I think that he actually would be too aggressive because he had that big arm. I remember back in the day trying to explain how he takes too many risks and SW was the complete opposite he always went for the check down. 

And your post just made me think of something what could Gus even do to Bo that Bo would care about? He didn't have to worry about being sat. Bo actually had the most mental freedom out of all the prior QB's. 

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I wonder about that, I actually don't think Johnson got scared. I think that he actually would be too aggressive because he had that big arm. I remember back in the day trying to explain how he takes too many risks and SW was the complete opposite he always went for the check down. 

And your post just made me think of something what could Gus even do to Bo that Bo would care about? He didn't have to worry about being sat. Bo actually had the most mental freedom out of all the prior QB's. 

I think Gus COULD have done a lot to straighten up Bo. But chose not to. Can you imagine the ass-chewings Saban would have dealt out these past two seasons to Bo?

Here is the trap with Bo-Gus. Gus views Bo as a "future champion" (Gus saying numerous times Bo will win a title). So Gus already basically said "this is our franchise". So that gives Bo a license to suck and have unlimited leeway.

It really is strange. I am just guessing with all this. 

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

in his last year, I attributed Stidham's overthrows on his desire for self preservation.(maybe I was wrong?)  Just chunk it early and hope for the best; no need to stand in and get killed.  (see Tenn. game)  I think Gus got into his head inside the red zone especially. the tentativeness was frustrating. Would always dbl clutch; looked scared to let it go for fear of turnover and then settle for the FG.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, AUnCullman said:

I am a Bo fan and I am a Patrick Nix fan. I would think his dad would have had the mechanic issues worked out of Bo before he got to AU. He was his HS coach after all and he lived with him if I remember correctly. (joke)

This is what scares me about Bo. With his dad being a former college player, college coach, and Bo being in college for 2 years, shouldnt he have better mechanics, pocket awareness, etc?

Im glad to have him personally. He's a fighter and seems to have tried getting onto his receivers when they played half*** and the coaches wouldnt. Im just worried that all signs seem to point to his ability to play at this level. 

I hope I'm way off

I have some of the same concerns you have, particularly relative to Pat.  There's no way Pat watches every move Bo makes on the field and literally cringes inside way more than us fans watching him on TV.  When your son is "the man" on the big stage, you get ulcers fighting in your gut every time they take the field.  Pat has to have worked with Bo in the last 2 years, and tried to help him with his mechanics.  The only other answer is that the kid just isn't cut out for SEC level competition.  I too hope I'm wrong about that because Auburn literally has no one that can step in and challenge for the starting spot right now.

16 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

WELL I WAS TOLD BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE INCLUDING MODS ON THIS BOARD THAT PAT WAS TOLD GUS WOULD BE AT AUBURN FOR NO MORE THAN TWO YEARS. 

SO LOOKS LIKE YOURS CANT BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously your response is that of an angry child.  So now that Gus is gone Bo will clearly leave the team and wait for Gus to get his next job and follow him because what YOU were TOLD was BO committed TO Gus AND not AUBURN so BO is ONLY loyal TO Gus. 

Talk about me being an angry child. 

Mmmmk Skippy. 

See i remember the signing day thread. Do you?

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I think Gus COULD have done a lot to straighten up Bo. But chose not to. Can you imagine the ass-chewings Saban would have dealt out these past two seasons to Bo?

Here is the trap with Bo-Gus. Gus views Bo as a "future champion" (Gus saying numerous times Bo will win a title). So Gus already basically said "this is our franchise". So that gives Bo a license to suck and have unlimited leeway.

It really is strange. I am just guessing with all this. 

He'd have gotten a few chewings, but Bo would never see the field while he was struggling. Things like that don't happen over there.  NS is an OCD control freak and he just doesn't lay 100% of the success of this team on the shoulders of one or two players.  There's too much liability for a HC and the success of the team when he fails to plan for injuries or the event where players fail to execute at a high level.

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

I have some of the same concerns you have, particularly relative to Pat.  There's no way Pat watches every move Bo makes on the field and literally cringes inside way more than us fans watching him on TV.  When your son is "the man" on the big stage, you get ulcers fighting in your gut every time they take the field.  Pat has to have worked with Bo in the last 2 years, and tried to help him with his mechanics.  The only other answer is that the kid just isn't cut out for SEC level competition.  I too hope I'm wrong about that because Auburn literally has no one that can step in and challenge for the starting spot right now.

To me this is the point that is being missed or folks don't wanna talk about it.  Pat is a QB and a coach.  He has to see the problems and you have to believe he has tried to help Bo with those issues.  Even if Gus asked Pat to lay off and not coach him you know he wouldn't be able to just watch Bo struggle and not try to help. 

So the conclusion that we may not wanna face, which you bring up nicely here keesler, is Bo is just not cut out for this.  

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Talk about me being an angry child. 

Mmmmk Skippy. 

See i remember the signing day thread. Do you?

You both could be right.  If we remember, Bo's signing was in the wake of the 2018 debacle within the AD where Gus/Harbert/Leath all in an uproar about Gus' buyout and him needing to be fired.  We saw rumor upon rumor pouring out of the AD, and the inception of the Steele scheudenfraud started about that same time.

Now on the one hand, some folks said Auburn had to keep Gus because Nix (Pat) wanted Gus to coach him.  And on the other hand, some folks said Bo should come here anyway because Gus wouldn't be here for more than 2 yrs while Bo was here.  At the end of the day, I remember the threads relative to Bo wanting to be coached by Gus, and I thought they were ridiculous a the time.  But they came for a few "insiders" so I chalked it up to the same "insider" info we always see around here and other boards.

Archived