Bo Nix

Swamp Eagle

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

That's a good post.

I've noticed an personality/attitude issue or two with Bo, on the sideline with his coaches and his teammates from time to time.  He's a top competitor and he wants to get "IT" right.  The problem may be that Bo's "IT" may not be good enough to compete at a high enough level in the toughest conference and the strongest division in the nation.  We'll just have to see what the new crew brings that the others didn't.

I think you have it.  

th?id=OIP.6seYFdeqSL3VCgtGB2IgrwHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=289&h=163

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I think some of Bo's detractors seem unwilling to admit that he DOES have talent. It may well be that he is not very coachable and getting by purely on talent, or it could be that he has not been coached properly at this level to learn what he really needs to know to be truly successful, but he's been awfully successful with bad mechanics and what is apparently a very one dimensional offense. It will be interesting to see what Harsin can do with him.

That said, I saw mention of Dematrius Davis not being enough to take Bo's spot, because he's 5'10 and rated outside the top 200. I would point out that he's also a two time state champion, and currently has his team undefeated with the semifinal matchup coming this weekend. In Texas 6A ball, which is the closest thing to college ball as there gets in high school. I wouldn't be quite so quick to say he couldn't come in and make a difference. I doubt he unseats Bo, personally, but I'm certainly not going to write him off.

Of course he has talent, he was rated a 5* QB, which means folks thought he had the highest protentional to be a quality college QB.

Does he have SEC talent and can he use that talent to compete at the highest level in the toughest conference in the nation?  Hopefully the new staff can get better results with him than the last.

I'm with you 100% on DD, I want someone to push Bo and keep him looking over his shoulder at the QB's that work like crazy to take his job.  I firmly believe honest competition will be a great thing for Bo.

14 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

See this is what I heard more of before he got to Auburn.  I don't know as I will be honest in saying I don't follow recruiting that closely or watch high school tapes so I'm taking other people's word for it.  I just remember several on here saying he had some of these issues in HS also. 

He had incredible numbers on face value due to total volume of yards and TDs. However, He was still around or under 60 percent in accuracy both years I believe. I am trying to find that website where I got his true high school stats.

Here is 2018 stats: http://highschoolsports.al.com/player/bo-nix-3/

More complete stats at bottom of page

https://247sports.com/Player/Bo-Nix-77945/high-school-191402/

2017: 63%

2018: 59%

Tons of attempts. 

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

That's a good post.

I've noticed an personality/attitude issue or two with Bo, on the sideline with his coaches and his teammates from time to time.  He's a top competitor and he wants to get "IT" right.  The problem may be that Bo's "IT" may not be good enough to compete at a high enough level in the toughest conference and the strongest division in the nation.  We'll just have to see what the new crew brings that the others didn't.

Absolutely. Tom Brady gets to yell at his teammates and talk back to his coaches. Tim Tebow got to do some of that. AJ McCarron got to do some of that by the time he was a senior. Bo Nix hasn't earned that right. 

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

Of course he has talent, he was rated a 5* QB, which means folks thought he had the highest protentional to be a quality college QB.

Does he have SEC talent and can he use that talent to compete at the highest level in the toughest conference in the nation?  Hopefully the new staff can get better results with him than the last.

I'm with you 100% on DD, I want someone to push Bo and keep him looking over his shoulder at the QB's that work like crazy to take his job.  I firmly believe honest competition will be a great thing for Bo.

not only the 5 star QB but the #1 DT in the country. To be fair though, that Dual Threat class was kind of weak.

Lets do an honest evaluation of Bo based on what we have seen while playing at Auburn. At times he sets his feet and when he does he has good form and throws a nice ball. I have seen some really good throws into tight coverage. He has a bad habit of leaving pocket at any sign of breakdown and when he passes on the run he is not accurate.  His O-line has been suspect since he has been here but some of the issues is a good QB helps his O-Line.  If Bo flushed left his throwing is abysmal as he never sets his feet when running just throws is a little better when going right. Bo has a very good arm but not a cannon.  Bo is tough and is a competitor. If Pressure is coming from the outside stepping up and helping tackle allows for an easier throw and buys time the worst thing to do is bail out of the pocket. If Pressure is coming from inside  you often have to bail as no place to step up. When throwing on the run good QB's still kind of stop and set feet when throwing unless no time to do that. 

So we have a young man who has a very good but not elite arm has shown he can throw a good ball but has also shown that he flushes to easily and when on move accuracy goes way down. He has also showed he is willing to lay it on the line and run to help the team. Is a solid runner but not an elite runner. 

So key question is can Bo learn from new QB coach and can new OC design plays to take advantage of his strength's and minimize his weaknesses. 

The other key question is will there be a transfer QB brought in and will there be open competition with Davis, Bo and any other QB on Roster. I have always found true competition forces people to be better.  I still think Bo has some potential but at this time I also would not be surprised to see Davis starting next year if Bo does not break his bad habits.

Auburn really needs a spring football season this year with a new staff and a new O and D. Also since Bo's bad habits show up where there is pressure. I think it is important that we take some risks this Spring and do more live work where QB is not protected.  If a key player gets hurt I will regret saying that but I still think it is needed. As a lot of QB's look good when D is not allowed to touch them.

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Lets do an honest evaluation of Bo based on what we have seen while playing at Auburn. At times he sets his feet and when he does he has good form and throws a nice ball. I have seen some really good throws into tight coverage. He has a bad habit of leaving pocket at any sign of breakdown and when he passes on the run he is not accurate.  His O-line has been suspect since he has been here but some of the issues is a good QB helps his O-Line.  If Bo flushed left his throwing is abysmal as he never sets his feet when running just throws is a little better when going right. Bo has a very good arm but not a cannon.  Bo is tough and is a competitor. If Pressure is coming from the outside stepping up and helping tackle allows for an easier throw and buys time the worst thing to do is bail out of the pocket. If Pressure is coming from inside  you often have to bail as no place to step up. When throwing on the run good QB's still kind of stop and set feet when throwing unless no time to do that. 

So we have a young man who has a very good but not elite arm has shown he can throw a good ball but has also shown that he flushes to easily and when on move accuracy goes way down. He has also showed he is willing to lay it on the line and run to help the team. Is a solid runner but not an elite runner. 

So key question is can Bo learn from new QB coach and can new OC design plays to take advantage of his strength's and minimize his weaknesses. 

The other key question is will there be a transfer QB brought in and will there be open competition with Davis, Bo and any other QB on Roster. I have always found true competition forces people to be better.  I still think Bo has some potential but at this time I also would not be surprised to see Davis starting next year if Bo does not break his bad habits.

Auburn really needs a spring football season this year with a new staff and a new O and D. Also since Bo's bad habits show up where there is pressure. I think it is important that we take some risks this Spring and do more live work where QB is not protected.  If a key player gets hurt I will regret saying that but I still think it is needed. As a lot of QB's look good when D is not allowed to touch them.

Well said.

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If a key player gets hurt I will regret saying that

Nah. Coaching to avoid worst case scenarios as opposed to coaching to achieve best case scenarios has been one of the biggest systemic flaws in our football program the last 8 years. 

I don’t know much about football but it a no brainer that he needs competition from a experienced QB that has been in a more complex offense.Give us the figgy pudding right now!

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Define QB talent?  He doesn't seem to have very good pocket awareness.  Doesn't seem to have very good footwork.  Doesn't seem to make very good decisions.  Doesn't seem very accurate with his passes.  What "Talent" does he posses?  Maybe a strong will to scrap out a play or maybe his legs... but I don't see much else, yet.  Can he get there?  I hope so with the proper coaching.  Having this year as a do-over and a new coach may just be the best thing to ever happen to him.

1 minute ago, Bathel said:

Define QB talent?  He doesn't seem to have very good pocket awareness.  Doesn't seem to have very good footwork.  Doesn't seem to make very good decisions.  Doesn't seem very accurate with his passes.  What "Talent" does he posses?  Maybe a strong will to scrap out a play or maybe his legs... but I don't see much else, yet.  Can he get there?  I hope so with the proper coaching.  Having this year as a do-over and a new coach may just be the best thing to ever happen to him.

Exactly. 

Sometimes kids just get overrated. Looking at him now, there's no way in hell that Bo Nix should have been ranked a 5-star. There's "talent" there, but I'm not seeing 5-star talent out of him in any category that I'd actually want to prioritize in a QB. That sort of talent, if he had it, would pop out on plays even with poor coaching and all the problems we've had. It's likely that he looks worse than he could have been due to being "broken", but even just throwing the football...that's not a 5-star arm.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He had incredible numbers on face value due to total volume of yards and TDs. However, He was still around or under 60 percent in accuracy both years I believe. I am trying to find that website where I got his true high school stats.

Here is 2018 stats: http://highschoolsports.al.com/player/bo-nix-3/

More complete stats at bottom of page

https://247sports.com/Player/Bo-Nix-77945/high-school-191402/

2017: 63%

2018: 59%

Tons of attempts. 

Bruh that is 6A texas football, it's essentially the SEC

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What are you talking about for the second time ,

now?

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

What are you talking about for the second time ,

now?

It's sarcasm for the ppl trying to prop up 6A football with a kid who can barely complete 60% of his passes.

He's a prospect, he's not ready to start in the SEC (Bo wasn't either as a Freshman)

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

It's sarcasm for the ppl trying to prop up 6A football with a kid who can barely complete 60% of his passes.

He's a prospect, he's not ready to start in the SEC (Bo wasn't either as a Freshman)

That post has nothing to do with DD. So I have no clue why you are even referencing him 

31 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

First of all, the post you responded to was about Bo Nix, who played in Alabama.

More to the point, though, if you don't know how competitive Texas high school football is, ask @bigbird. He coaches there. It is to high school ball what the SEC is to college ball.

I don't like it when people use an historical anomaly as a linchpin for their arguments; however, there are talented QBs throughout history who struggled for several years under various offensive coordinators, but had a solid finish under the tutelage of someone else. Jason Campbell is a good example of this. Bo may just be screwed and will fall into the other category, but there is a possibility he could see dramatic improvement underneath a different set of coaches.

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I don't like it when people use an historical anomaly as a linchpin for their arguments; however, there are talented QBs throughout history who struggled for several years under various offensive coordinators, but had a solid finish under the tutelage of someone else. Jason Campbell is a good example of this. Bo may just be screwed and will fall into the other category, but there is a possibility he could see dramatic improvement underneath a different set of coaches.

Jason Campbell's name always gets brought up, but go take a look at his completion percentage in his three "disappointing" seasons prior to his Senior year: 62.7%, 63.1%, 61.8%. And that was playing in West Coast type offenses prior to these QB-friendly Spread systems becoming the norm. Bo Nix hasn't cracked 60% completion in two seasons here, and thats been in a system that throws ~5+ screens or other similar dink & dunk passes a game. He actually hasn't even been particularly accurate on those throws either.

His accuracy looks like a legitimate flaw and in actuality, it looks like that's apparent in his HS stats as well. 

1 hour ago, Bathel said:

This is what I asked and tried to point out a while ago. But you know what's hilarious the answer is he wants to be win and he has elite competitiveness. 

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

That post has nothing to do with DD. So I have no clue why you are even referencing him 

Ah, thought those were DD stats.  Looks like he was still at 60% in 2019 (can't find 2020 stats).  

24 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

First of all, the post you responded to was about Bo Nix, who played in Alabama.

More to the point, though, if you don't know how competitive Texas high school football is, ask @bigbird. He coaches there. It is to high school ball what the SEC is to college ball.

Looks like he has similar HS number...60%, but still...IDGAF about TX HS Football.  It's still not the SEC.  This forum is way too enamored with this kid and expecting him to be the starter next year.  There's very little chance that happens.

If he was a top 15 prospect, it might be different.

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

Jason Campbell's name always gets brought up, but go take a look at his completion percentage in his three "disappointing" seasons prior to his Senior year: 62.7%, 63.1%, 61.8%. And that was playing in West Coast type offenses prior to these QB-friendly Spread systems becoming the norm. Bo Nix hasn't cracked 60% completion in two seasons here, and thats been in a system that throws ~5+ screens or other similar dink & dunk passes a game. He actually hasn't even been particularly accurate on those throws either.

His accuracy looks like a legitimate flaw and in actuality, it looks like that's apparent in his HS stats as well. 

Also let's be 100 when Nick Marshall was inaccurate like this it was he's not a real QB. Bo just needs a coach to tell him to stop throwing off his back foot and he'll be the best QB in the SEC.

7 minutes ago, metafour said:

I think it's crazy that people think Bo Nix can't be fixed.  We just got rid of the worst QB coach/developer that's possibly ever been at Auburn.
Bo 100% has issues.  I don't think they are anything that can't be fixed (or at a minimum improved on) with better actual coaching. We need to be looking at a transfer QB to push Bo, not a TrFr.

He throws a good ball when he's not trying to do it whilst back peddling.

Bo Nix will be the starter for the next two years and he'll do great 😁

Archived