Bo Nix

Swamp Eagle

With respect to “earning it”, I ask this question out of complete sincerity and ignorance: was there dissension among the team when he started last year over JG and JG never got a second chance? Some signs made it look that way, but I’ve no basis in fact. That is, was there a fair competition? Surely some player would have vented somewhere if that had not been the case.

Maybe it’s water under the bridge that is best left alone now.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AUx said:

With respect to “earning it”, I ask this question out of complete sincerity and ignorance: was there dissension among the team when he started last year over JG and JG never got a second chance? Some signs made it look that way, but I’ve no basis in fact. That is, was there a fair competition? Surely some player would have vented somewhere if that had not been the case.

Good point. I havent been on here in years so I have no info on this, but watching Malik Willis play the other day made me wonder what happened with that also. I had heard it was grades at the time but....

21 minutes ago, AUx said:

My source said the team was very aware that Bo gave us the best chance to win. Fans turned JG into a media hero. 

There was definitely rumblings about how Bo was handed the job, but as bad as that was it was how Gus wouldn't let guys play because he didn't want any controversy when people see how good everybody was. That's how he lost the team. 

40 minutes ago, alexava said:

My source said the team was very aware that Bo gave us the best chance to win. Fans turned JG into a media hero. 

No Gus turned him into one and as far as the team, that's not true

I foresee an open qb competition until August. Bo will likely win it. When he does, 7 games is the ceiling and this debate will continue. He's good and bad. Coaching has been bad, no debate there. I bet nothing changes in the next year (maybe two) for this to clear up. We will keep making arguments one way or the other, but it will take a different qb to take Aub to the next level- 

Wondering if we end up blaming CBH if Bo starts, doesn't fit well in the system, but CBH doesn't have much other option?

The real enemy here is the board for knee-capping our recruiting efforts with their Shenanigans on coach changing. Look at Texas, Herman to Sark in a day. 

That way Sark comes in, gets their recruits on board, no problem. Us? We are praying for a magical transfer or JUCO. Wouldn't be surprised if the Board also wanted Nix and bent Gus' arm. Nothing makes sense about a coach who is petrified of turnovers being so pathologically loyal to a Turnover machine his first year. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

My source said you don’t have a source. 

Of course, I’m kidding you, @alexava, it was just a good place to interject a smart ass post..:happydance:

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

There was definitely rumblings about how Bo was handed the job, but as bad as that was it was how Gus wouldn't let guys play because he didn't want any controversy when people see how good everybody was. That's how he lost the team. 

Blows my mind. I can’t comprehend the mentality that would not use every resource on the roster to give the team the best chance of winning as the situation dictated and changed. Like gunning up for war, but never filling your magazine more than half. Malzan is an enigma. 

11 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

The real enemy here is the board for knee-capping our recruiting efforts with their Shenanigans on coach changing. Look at Texas, Herman to Sark in a day. 

Yep, that’s how you handle a coaching change. Not really fair to the guys that signed with UTx but I guess that’s how the game is played

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

No Gus turned him into one and as far as the team, that's not true

You’ll have to take that up with my source. Lol

The best opportunity to improve at qb is to get a transfer or improve Bo. Bo ain’t gonna improve without competition. We need a transfer. 

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

You’ll have to take that up with my source. Lol

Nah I'll let your source keep sourcing I'm just saying I don't know exact numbers but I do know certain things that were said and how some players took it

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nah I'll let your source keep sourcing I'm just saying I don't know exact numbers but I do know certain things that were said and how some players took it

At the time Malik was considered the leader of the team by the players, some without a doubt felt like Malik did not get a fair chance and the same for Joey.  Although Joey had and was doing work to fix some “immaturity” he had his freshman year.

the thing is Bo is also a great practice player when there is no contact, so he did make plays and won some dudes over as well.  Soft no contact practices fits Bo’s play style and did not give Malik or Joey a chance to show what they could really do and players knew this.  

On 1/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, Zeek said:

Not a bad idea. I still feel like multiple QBs at Auburn have been told to throw to one receiver and not asked to read.

If Bo can't succeed under Harsin (barring an exodus of OL next year) there's really no more excuses.

One thing I empathize with you on Cole is Nick Marshall. Auburn fans have a short memory of how they treat players. Felt NM was unfairly criticized.

Keihl Frazier’s dad came on this same board and stated that is how they were being coached. TIFWIW

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Keihl Frazier’s dad came on this same board and stated that is how they were being coached. TIFWIW

I believe it 110% 

There's plenty of plays where I've seen receivers not running a route or half trotting knowing it's not coming their way.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I believe it 110% 

There's plenty of plays where I've seen receivers not running a route or half trotting knowing it's not coming their way.

It is because in practice they always go to the first read the play was designed for because somebody believed he called perfect plays. Was one of many things that DC hated about Gus while coaching under him.  He saw other WR’s as either blockers or clearing the field for the home run every pass play.   Again HS level s***

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It is because in practice they always go to the first read the play was designed for because somebody believed he called perfect plays. Was one of many things that DC hated about Gus while coaching under him.  He saw other WR’s as either blockers or clearing the field for the home run every pass play.   Again HS level s***

Hits on another thing. First downs have to be a priority not humeruns. Explains why we're throwing deep bombs on 3rd and freaking 2.

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I believe it 110% 

To add to this, I would think this would be a vestige of Gus' old way of thinking which was "Go Fast". 

The whole idea of that was to basically simplify the game and make it so tempo could progress and having to make reads when there was a specific flow of the game would hamper tempo. 

I think as Gus changed his system slightly and slowed things down, the complexity did not improve. That seems to be the big issue. From what I know of my time with the team (Brief though it was) the big gripe during Muchamp's time was that Gus wanted best on best time to be controlled and based on what the offense wanted to do. That being said, it adds up quite nicely when you want to arrive at the endpoint that the players are trained to do what they do in Gus' system and aren't really well rounded nor do they improve in a vacuum.

25 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

I have another gripe. WR's not blocking downfield. Makes me angry just thinking about it. 

When I saw Donta Smith blocking the heck out of somebody downfield while another WR scored a TD against Notre Dame, I couldn’t help but think, “Seth wouldn’t do that.”

On 1/1/2021 at 1:55 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

I expect to get ‘raped over the coals’ for this, but here goes.

I don’t trust any QB that Gus recruited out of HS and has coached. I’m seeing the same type of inconsistent, bad technique and mechanics for the second year in a row. I will not be shocked or disappointed if he isn’t in the mix next season.

So I was told Pat Nix was assured that if Bo came to Auburn Gus would only be Bo's coach for no more than two years.  Hopefully Gus didn't do so much damage that Bo can get on the right track

25 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

So I was told Pat Nix was assured that if Bo came to Auburn Gus would only be Bo's coach for no more than two years.  Hopefully Gus didn't do so much damage that Bo can get on the right track

Bo will be here for another two years and then he'll be in a booth or working a 9 to 5 job. I hope he's studying hard.

31 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Plenty of time between now and end of summer practice as long as the proper de-programming and re-programming is performed.

POA_brainwash.gif

Archived