Bo Nix

Swamp Eagle

8 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

To me this is the point that is being missed or folks don't wanna talk about it.  Pat is a QB and a coach.  He has to see the problems and you have to believe he has tried to help Bo with those issues.  Even if Gus asked Pat to lay off and not coach him you know he wouldn't be able to just watch Bo struggle and not try to help. 

So the conclusion that we may not wanna face, which you bring up nicely here keesler, is Bo is just not cut out for this.  

It could be exactly like this.

Look at Cam Newton. He has poor mechanics, and he has had 10 years of NFL QB coaching and relearning from the bad habits he has.

ANd Cam still does them. Maybe not on the scale as early in his career but he does. 

So it is possible that it will either take Bo a little more time and skills training to overcome some of his footwork and inaccuracy issues. But it could be he will always fall back on it.

If he doesn't improve his accuracy or his pocket awareness, he will never be but a backup QB in the NFL. 

But at least we have a more skilled HC in what he knows about Quarterbacking, that will give Bo another chance at making those improvements.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

To me this is the point that is being missed or folks don't wanna talk about it.  Pat is a QB and a coach.  He has to see the problems and you have to believe he has tried to help Bo with those issues.  Even if Gus asked Pat to lay off and not coach him you know he wouldn't be able to just watch Bo struggle and not try to help. 

So the conclusion that we may not wanna face, which you bring up nicely here keesler, is Bo is just not cut out for this.  

There was so much hype around the "Legacy" that honestly I can see why folks don't want to discuss anything negative.  He was supposed to be the best to wear the O&B, he was bringing championships, and every other  accolade under the sun.  Still some folks don't want to look at reality where he's concerned.  When all anyone has to do is simply watches him on the field, real words aren't needed because his actions tell you everything you need to know about him.

A willingness to accept critique and make a change & have a coachable attitude is important.  I have a feeling CBH will make a huge impression on Bo both on and off the field.  I least I hope so.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

There was so much hype around the "Legacy" that honestly I can see why folks don't want to discuss anything negative.  He was supposed to be the best to wear the O&B, he was bringing championships, and every other  accolade under the sun.  Still some folks don't want to look at reality where he's concerned.  When all anyone has to do is simply watches him on the field, real words aren't needed because his actions tell you everything you need to know about him.

A willingness to accept critique and make a change & have a coachable attitude is important.  I have a feeling CBH will make a huge impression on Bo both on and off the field.  I least I hope so.

And he had a HC who put it out there that Bo would win a championship for us bc he's a winner....

I want Bo to get some real QB coaching from a competent college QB coach before we write him off. If he is "uncoachable" we'll know it real quick. Gus is gone and Bo either does it or he don't. His bad habits are going to be hard to correct because he got away with it so long

I don't know if anybody has already mentioned this, but Bo nearly messed up the throw to a Wide Open E. Canion on that TD pass. Threw it off his back foot. Nobody pressuring, and nobody within 10 yards of Canion. That should be a simple toss and catch right on the money. Had it been a good pass, Canion may not have had to stiff arm his way to the endzone 

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't know if anybody has already mentioned this, but Bo nearly messed up the throw to a Wide Open E. Canion on that TD pass. Threw it off his back foot. Nobody pressuring, and nobody within 10 yards of Canion. That should be a simple toss and catch right on the money. Had it been a good pass, Canion may not have had to stiff arm his way to the endzone 

I said it in the game thread and some butthead gave me a 👎🏻

You can watch film and do drills all you want. But I don't know if pocket presence is something one can "learn" this late in Bo's career. Other than tons of full contact 1's against the 1's during the spring.....

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Look at Cam Newton. He has poor mechanics, and he has had 10 years of NFL QB coaching and relearning from the bad habits he has.

ANd Cam still does them. Maybe not on the scale as early in his career but he does. 

So it is possible that it will either take Bo a little more time and skills training to overcome some of his footwork and inaccuracy issues. But it could be he will always fall back on it.

If he doesn't improve his accuracy or his pocket awareness, he will never be but a backup QB in the NFL. 

But at least we have a more skilled HC in what he knows about Quarterbacking, that will give Bo another chance at making those improvements.

The difference between Cam and Bo is Cam had a much stronger arm and more accurate . In Cam’s MVP season he threw off his back foot all the time . One of the best throws I’ve ever saw was right off his backfoot to Greg Olson during the super bowl run when they were playing the Seahawks 

Bo is nowhere near as accurate as Cam in his best season in college. He does not have near the arm strength and he is nowhere near productive as Cam on the offensive end while also having bad mechanics . Not good 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The difference between Cam and Bo is Cam had a much stronger arm and more accurate . In Cam’s MVP season he threw off his back foot all the time . One of the best throws I’ve ever saw was right off his backfoot to Greg Olson during the super bowl run when they were playing the Seahawks 

Bo is nowhere near as accurate as Cam in his best season in college. He does not have near the arm strength and he is nowhere near productive as Cam on the offensive end while also having bad mechanics . Not good 

I think a lot of players see guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, or even Cam that are generational talents make the off platform throws and think "That was awesome! Yeah, I can do that!" without realizing that those guys are exceptions to the rule.

It's the same as basketball players watching Kobe and thinking they can shoot fadeaways from the baseline over their shoulders and have a high field goal percentage. There's a reason why these guys are legends: they can do things that mere mortals can't do

8 hours ago, chizhead said:

I want Bo to get some real QB coaching from a competent college QB coach before we write him off. If he is "uncoachable" we'll know it real quick. Gus is gone and Bo either does it or he don't. His bad habits are going to be hard to correct because he got away with it so long

Didn't his father coach him up in high school? Wonder why he didn't correct any of his bad habits. Surely, they were evident then.

32 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

I think a lot of players see guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, or even Cam that are generational talents make the off platform throws and think "That was awesome! Yeah, I can do that!" without realizing that those guys are exceptions to the rule.

It's the same as basketball players watching Kobe and thinking they can shoot fadeaways from the baseline over their shoulders and have a high field goal percentage. There's a reason why these guys are legends: they can do things that mere mortals can't do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DT-JEsqzmo

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Didn't his father coach him up in high school? Wonder why he didn't correct any of his bad habits. Surely, they were evident then.

If Bo was anything like me in high school, his dad could probably tell him all those things until he was blue in the face, but when you're having that much success in high school he might not have listened.

My dad told me 1000 times the way I studied in high school wasn't gonna work in college, but I was successful so I didn't see a reason to change. It wasn't until I nearly failed out my first year at Auburn that I realized that my dad was smarter than I gave him credit for. Maybe Bo hasn't experienced that yet. He won Freshman player of the year last year, so he might've thought he wasn't doing too bad regardless of what anyone told him.

I hope he's willing to listen to the coaching he gets this offseason and can turn this ship around 

5 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

I wonder why every coach doesn’t fix every player’s bad habits...If it were that simple we’d have 957,364 NFL MVPs each year.

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Agreed and my son added a good point to this as we discussed it.  Wouldn't you think Pat tried to coach this out of him during high school also?  I mean, you can get away with some of the things he does in high school ball but still I have to think as a QB himself Pat would've tried to correct some of those things before he ever go to Auburn.  

Saw Bo play several HS games. Do not remember pocket and accuracy being big issues at all really   Don’t think Patrick is the one that should fall on his sword on those issues. JMHO

4 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Saw Bo play several HS games. Do not remember pocket and accuracy being big issues at all really   Don’t think Patrick is the one that should fall on his sword on those issues. JMHO

I'm not blaming Pat or asking him to fall on his sword.  I think what some of us are asking is Bo coachable?  Will he take feedback and apply it?  I have seen some on this board say they watched Bo in HS and he had these same issues so maybe its just a matter of opinion.  But no, I'm not blaming Pat at all. 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I'm not blaming Pat or asking him to fall on his sword.  I think what some of us are asking is Bo coachable?  Will he take feedback and apply it?  I have seen some on this board say they watched Bo in HS and he had these same issues so maybe its just a matter of opinion.  But no, I'm not blaming Pat at all. 

his high school highlight tapes show a poised, accurate, QB. Now, maybe that's why they're highlight tapes but you can see the potential. Lofts balls with touch when needed. Zips with accuracy when needed. there's the familiar flaws that raise their ugly head from time to time but he seems much more polished.   I hope he's not developing into a head case that no amount of coaching can correct. trying too hard? stage too big? disillusioned with Gus/ offense?

The Davis vs Bo battle will be very fun to follow this spring and into fall camp. I'm expecting an upper classman transfer to be added as well to the mix as well. Maybe keep an eye on that Hank Bachmeier from Boise St? He has had injury problems but he also has 2 years of experience with Harsin and when healthy he played. So Harsin definitely likes what he brings to the table.

Its going to be a very big learning curve for Bo when Harsin starts putting in his offense. Its night and day from what Auburn has ran with Gus. There are reads and the QB actually has multiple options on where they can go with the ball and even what plays they can run based on the pre-snap read. I'm not sure how much freedom Davis had in HS but i expect in was not a lot. But who knows in big boy football in Texas. 

But that is just the mental part of the game. Bo is going to have to be night and day better when it comes to moving around in the pocket and escaping pressure. The default bail backwards and right out of the pocket is not going to cut it. 

I think Bo can be a really good QB. He has good speed and i think he has solid arm strength even if his throws downfield are not very accurate. Learning to set his feet and make the throw will go a long way in helping his accuracy problems. He has the tools IMO but can he fix the bad habits and be more consistent?? That is the question that will be answered over the coming months. 

19 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

his high school highlight tapes show a poised, accurate, QB. Now, maybe that's why they're highlight tapes but you can see the potential. Lofts balls with touch when needed. Zips with accuracy when needed. there's the familiar flaws that raise their ugly head from time to time but he seems much more polished.   I hope he's not developing into a head case that no amount of coaching can correct. trying too hard? stage too big? disillusioned with Gus/ offense?

if you look at his stats in high school, he was not accurate at all. As you alluded to, that is why it is called a highlight tape. Killed Mond highlight tape would make him look like the #1 pick in the Draft.

I think some of Bo's detractors seem unwilling to admit that he DOES have talent. It may well be that he is not very coachable and getting by purely on talent, or it could be that he has not been coached properly at this level to learn what he really needs to know to be truly successful, but he's been awfully successful with bad mechanics and what is apparently a very one dimensional offense. It will be interesting to see what Harsin can do with him.

That said, I saw mention of Dematrius Davis not being enough to take Bo's spot, because he's 5'10 and rated outside the top 200. I would point out that he's also a two time state champion, and currently has his team undefeated with the semifinal matchup coming this weekend. In Texas 6A ball, which is the closest thing to college ball as there gets in high school. I wouldn't be quite so quick to say he couldn't come in and make a difference. I doubt he unseats Bo, personally, but I'm certainly not going to write him off.

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

if you look at his stats in high school, he was not accurate at all. As you alluded to, that is why it is called a highlight tape. Killed Mond highlight tape would make him look like the #1 pick in the Draft.

See this is what I heard more of before he got to Auburn.  I don't know as I will be honest in saying I don't follow recruiting that closely or watch high school tapes so I'm taking other people's word for it.  I just remember several on here saying he had some of these issues in HS also. 

54 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

That's a good post.

I've noticed an personality/attitude issue or two with Bo, on the sideline with his coaches and his teammates from time to time.  He's a top competitor and he wants to get "IT" right.  The problem may be that Bo's "IT" may not be good enough to compete at a high enough level in the toughest conference and the strongest division in the nation.  We'll just have to see what the new crew brings that the others didn't.

Archived