Bo Nix

Swamp Eagle

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

What a great AU FAMILY thread. 🤪

It’s weird how we all get along when things are going well! Even loosing in b-ball didn’t upset me too much because I see the future and it’s bright.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, toddc said:

It’s weird how we all get along when things are going well! Even loosing in b-ball didn’t upset me too much because I se the future and it’s bright.

That was a heart breaker.  I was really thinking we’d pull that one out.  

Competition at the QB position this spring and fall needs to happen. I’ve never felt that Bo was remotely afraid of being pulled with Gus. And if the Cubelic comments are accurate, he should have been. 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:02 AM, DAG said:

Nobody hates Bo Nix. The issues is he has not lived up to his potential. The other issue is he gets Jimmy Clausen type of love . A dude who has the potential, yet hasn’t produced , but you got guys like Jordan Palmer saying he will be the #1 pick. Individually, I am just not that impressed. Hopefully he can make a leap next year.

Quite true.  I don't hate him, and I've wanted him to succeed.  Such a great story and all.  But he seems to have regressed in his 2nd season under Gus, which is what Nick Marshall and Jarret Stidham did under Gus.  Had Cam Newton stayed for his senior year, I'd hate to think what his fate would have been under Gus.

I want Bo Nix to succeed.  And the first step in that process was the firing of the High School Gus, and the hiring of coach Harsin.

I think.  But don't hold me to it.

13 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Quite true.  I don't hate him, and I've wanted him to succeed.  Such a great story and all.  But he seems to have regressed in his 2nd season under Gus, which is what Nick Marshall and Jarret Stidham did under Gus.  Had Cam Newton stayed for his senior year, I'd hate to think what his fate would have been under Gus.

I want Bo Nix to succeed.  And the first step in that process was the firing of the High School Gus, and the hiring of coach Harsin.

I think.  But don't hold me to it.

Nope  Marshall's completion percentage went up from 59.4% in 2013 to 60.8%  in 2014.  While Marshall's rushing numbers were down in 2014, he still accounted for 11 rushing touchdowns in 2014 compared to 12 in 2013.  Also, he had 19 fewer carries in 2014.      Total yards for Marshall 2013 - 3044.  Total yards in 2014 - 3330.   That's doesn't even remotely illustrate a regression of any kind. 

Stidham's completion percentage dropped from 66.5% in 2017 to 60.7% in 2018.  Total yards in 2017 was 3301 compared to 2794 in 2018. Rushing in 2018 wasn't good but sacks are taken off that total.   But, he still accounted for 22 TD's in 2017 and 21 TD's in 2018.  The full picture doesn't show as much QB regression as it does overall offensive production when you also know we didn't have a 1000 yard rusher in 2018.

Also don't forget that in 2013 and 2014 we had Tre Mason (2013) and Cameron Artis Payne (2014).  Mason had 1816 yards, Artis Payne has 1608 Yards.

16 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

And if the Cubelic comments are accurate,

No reason to think that they aren't.........I listen to his show about every day and if he said it, you can carry it to the bank, usually. I understand he can be a bit of an ***hole, but he is connected

On 1/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, dilligas said:

It’s fight or flight when you’ve got 280-300 lb beasts coming at you.  Bo needs to gut it up and take a lick when necessary to get the pass off.  Many times he bails when there’s no pressure so a lot of it is in his head.

I agree, but he shows no lack of guts once he's out there running. Looks more like anxiety to me. He's a fierce competitor.

18 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Nope  Marshall's completion percentage went up from 59.4% in 2013 to 60.8%  in 2014.  While Marshall's rushing numbers were down in 2014, he still accounted for 11 rushing touchdowns in 2014 compared to 12 in 2013.  Also, he had 19 fewer carries in 2014.      Total yards for Marshall 2013 - 3044.  Total yards in 2014 - 3330.   That's doesn't even remotely illustrate a regression of any kind. 

Stidham's completion percentage dropped from 66.5% in 2017 to 60.7% in 2018.  Total yards in 2017 was 3301 compared to 2794 in 2018. Rushing in 2018 wasn't good but sacks are taken off that total.   But, he still accounted for 22 TD's in 2017 and 21 TD's in 2018.  The full picture doesn't show as much QB regression as it does overall offensive production when you also know we didn't have a 1000 yard rusher in 2018.

Also don't forget that in 2013 and 2014 we had Tre Mason (2013) and Cameron Artis Payne (2014).  Mason had 1816 yards, Artis Payne has 1608 Yards.

Blocking.

19 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Marshall didn't regress, but he didn't progress as much as you'd hope in his 2nd year with almost the same offense except subtracting Jay Prosch and adding Duke Williams, one of our best pure pass catchers of the last 20 years.

Stidham absolutely regressed. 

The more important point is that you've never seen a Gus Malzahn QB at Auburn get meaningfully better while he was here. They've gotten slightly better (Marshall), slightly worse (Nix and Stidham), or just completely collapsed (no need to name names). 

On 1/9/2021 at 1:21 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Really interesting to hear Cole C. talk about Nix on @The Jboy Showyesterday. Cubelic interviewed Morris earlier this year and Morris stated that they had been working with Nix on all of the issues that have been discussed here. It comes down to whether he will actually take the coaching or not.

That is a good observation and was the main point of that segment. Bo can be great, but he needs to trust the coaching a little more.

We all knew he should have been pulled at least for a few possessions.

South Carolina game especially.

A coach in tune with his team would have known that too. 

1 minute ago, The Jboy Show said:

Bo can be great, but he needs to trust the coaching a little more.

I haven't thought of it in those terms. "Trust". That actually leaves room for optimism. I opined elsewhere that if he's just not willing to take the coaching, then at least there's hope that a different approach to motivating him could break through. Because if he's actually been open to the coaching he's been given and just can't apply it on the field... yikes.

But if he didn't trust the coaching he was getting the last two years, then that poses a challenge for Harsin and Bobo, but not an insurmountable one. And, judging by the cumulative results at QB the last 8 years, it would be a forgivable mistake on Bo's part. 

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

We all knew he should have been pulled at least for a few possessions.

South Carolina game especially.

A coach in tune with his team would have known that too. 

Long list of completely inexplicable decisions from Gus, and this rates way up there. Florida in 2019 is the most glaring example to me. I'll never forget it. That and the 2017 LSU game might be the top 2 for me. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, cole256 said:

So when do we talk about our 5 star leader not living up? When he graduates I guess

Absolutely. He still has 3 more years of play at Auburn possible.

Also had everyone given up on Jason Campbell, 2004 likely never happens. 

It isnt too late for Nix. 

And its fairly well known that im no fan of Nix. 

On 1/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Absolutely. He still has 3 more years of play at Auburn possible.

Also had everyone given up on Jason Campbell, 2004 likely never happens. 

It isnt too late for Nix. 

And its fairly well known that im no fan of Nix. 

I couldn't find where anybody said it was too late for Nix.....

I wonder why that post would get deleted? 🤔 I wonder which mod would do that 🤔

Just now, cole256 said:

I couldn't find where anybody said it was too late for Nix.....

I wonder why that post would get deleted? 🤔 I wonder which mod would do that 🤔

I think we both know mods will delete posts. But thats neither here nor there. 

And my comment was a direct comment to yours. Come on man. You know this. You arent like some of these young bucks who just popped up during the search. Why you playing?

You said "So when do we talk about our 5 star leader not living up? When he graduates I guess"

And like I said but apparently not in the exact right words, its never too late for them to turn it on. I mean by all means "talk" about him not living up to his potential, but dont expect many to buy into what you are selling since he still has 3 years of possible play at Auburn. That can be an awful long time to complain about someone though. 

And again, I am about the furthest thing from a fan of Bo Nix as there is on this board. I have been on record since the day he signed saying he should of signed somewhere else. I almost got kicked off the board for saying it... Its how I KNOW unquestionably that mods will delete posts and tell posters they need to find a new site. It happened to me in the signing day thread the day Nix signed. 

On 1/11/2021 at 8:32 AM, McLoofus said:

Long list of completely inexplicable decisions from Gus, and this rates way up there. Florida in 2019 is the most glaring example to me. I'll never forget it. That and the 2017 LSU game might be the top 2 for me. 

I think Gus himself allowed for Bo to be "ruined" in some of those games, in his pursuit to do what he thought would protect the guy. Having a true freshman get his ass knocked around for 4 quarters and go in more and more of a shell wasn't going to do anything for his long term prospects, as we've seen and most decent thinking individuals could prognosticate. 

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think we both know mods will delete posts. But thats neither here nor there. 

And my comment was a direct comment to yours. Come on man. You know this. You arent like some of these young bucks who just popped up during the search. Why you playing?

You said "So when do we talk about our 5 star leader not living up? When he graduates I guess"

And like I said but apparently not in the exact right words, its never too late for them to turn it on. I mean by all means "talk" about him not living up to his potential, but dont expect many to buy into what you are selling since he still has 3 years of possible play at Auburn. That can be an awful long time to complain about someone though. 

And again, I am about the furthest thing from a fan of Bo Nix as there is on this board. I have been on record since the day he signed saying he should of signed somewhere else. I almost got kicked off the board for saying it... Its how I KNOW unquestionably that mods will delete posts and tell posters they need to find a new site. It happened to me in the signing day thread the day Nix signed. 

I feel like you're confused. As far as the deleted stuff I said that because I have an idiot that follows me and deletes my posts. That really didn't have anything to do with you but there is no reason a post saying I don't see where anybody has said to give up on him. There's absolutely no lie that can be made up to spin that to needed modding. So for me it's here and there. 

As far as the rest yes I know it's a direct reply to my statement and once again nobody has said to give up on Bo. I'm talking about not living up so far. Guys really more than anything it is super interesting and abnormal that his dad was a coach and he's played a year but doesn't have the basics down. That is something that will be brought up in the future for years to come like you just brought up Jason Campbell just now. 

As far as it not being too late to turn on, like you said I know this so that really didn't have to be stated. It just seems you misspoke.

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Gus himself allowed for Bo to be "ruined" in some of those games, in his pursuit to do what he thought would protect the guy. Having a true freshman get his ass knocked around for 4 quarters and go in more and more of a shell wasn't going to do anything for his long term prospects, as we've seen and most decent thinking individuals could prognosticate. 

To me if that is the case the best thing he could've done in that situation is start another QB. Make them earn it under fire. The last thing he needed to do was say nobody else can play but him. 

I agree with you, I'm just baffled a coach at a top 15 program would come to the decision he came with. You don't come to his decision unless you know you have a top 10 pick at QB guaranteed

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm just baffled a coach at a top 15 program would come to the decision he came with. You don't come to his decision unless you know you have a top 10 pick at QB guaranteed

I think that even then you do it if the situation demands, both for the team and the player’s sake. I mean, Saban sat his starter at halftime of the national championship game for goodness sake. That guy is now and NFL starter and his backup at the time was a largely unknown commodity (at least in live game situations)

On 1/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, W.E.D said:

It might be the smallest step relative to all other HS, but it's a massive step for any player.

Right, I didn't say you I said this forum.  I think DD has a chance to be pretty good, but ppl pushing him to start next year is crazy.  Kid needs at least a year

Why does he need a year? Bo started as a true freshman.  Harsin has started freshman at Boise.  Why is it crazy?  

4 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Why does he need a year? Bo started as a true freshman.  Harsin has started freshman at Boise.  Why is it crazy?  

Bo was terrible as a freshman.  A 57% passer is not someone that was ready.  DD is most likely not ready.  He's not a Trevor Lawrence level prospect that will come in and be a great college QB.  Most players need at least a year.  J-Boy and others have said that exact thing.

I'm not sure why that is so difficult for people to understand.  If our Options are Bo Nix or a guy who will complete a mid 50% of his passes & most likely have countless terrible freshman mistakes, we will most likely go with the guy who is at least experienced.

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

To me if that is the case the best thing he could've done in that situation is start another QB. Make them earn it under fire

or at the very least, pull them. There was absolutely no excuse that Nix wasnt pulled vs Florida last year. He finished the game with a QBR of 17.1!!!! Its inexcusable that Nix wasnt pulled in this game. There were others as well. The UF game stuck out to me. It was shortly after this Joey said screw it and hit the portal. 

Dropping in to give everyone participating in this thread a friendly reminder that we don't bash players here:

4) Leave Recruits and Players Alone. They are 18-22 year old kids. If they sometime act like kids, hey, that's what they do. If they have an off day, give them some grace. Saying that "the WRs underperformed" or "Joe Smith had a bad game" is very different from saying "Joe Smith sucks!"

Talk about Bo's (or any other player's) play on the field all you want - his decision making, making the right reads, footwork, accuracy, bailing on the pocket too soon, throwing into double coverage - whatever.  But personal stuff, family members, making assumptions about attitude or coach ability, and things like that - keep that to you and your friends little email circle.

I'm not calling out anyone specific here and this thread isn't the first I've seen this kind of thing going on, just the most recent.

Thanks.

Archived