OL recruiting under Gus Malzahn

Randy4AU

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2020: Tank 834 yds 6.0 ypc

2019: Whitlow 763 yds 4.9 ypc

2018: Whitlow 787 yds 5.2 ypc

And i believe that all those years, the RB got hurt and was out some games. Looking at their ypc, it seems like we could have had 1,000 yard rushers if not for injuries...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And i believe that all those years, the RB got hurt and was out some games. Looking at their ypc, it seems like we could have had 1,000 yard rushers if not for injuries...

Probably a better indicator of o-line performance vis-a-vis rushing would be to look at our total rushing numbers from year to year vs. just those of our leading RB.

Another problem is Auburn has recruited 4 stars in the past (Austin Golson, Braden Smith, Darius James, Marquel Harrell, Kaleb Kim, Tyler Carr), but many of these players did not develop like one would expect a 4-star to. Golson and Smith were good, but James was average, and Kim struggled significantly.

Was it due to S&C? Was it due to our OL coaches? Was it due to something else? I don't know. But we have had one solid OL since 2015, and that was the 2017 season, and it took us three or four games to get our act together.

And we got graduate transfer 0-stars like Casey Dunn and 2-stars like Brandon Council who were developed by other programs, non-Power 5 programs, and started ahead of Auburn recruited 4-stars. What does that say about our ability to develop OL recruits?

Yes we have to recruit, but we have to make sure the 4-star and 5-star are going to pay off like one expects a 4-star and 5-star to pay off. That means they have to be developed.

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Another problem is Auburn has recruited 4 stars in the past (Austin Golson, Braden Smith, Darius James, Marquel Harrell, Kaleb Kim, Tyler Carr), but many of these players did not develop like one would expect a 4-star to. Golson and Smith were good, but James was average, and Kim struggled significantly.

Was it due to S&C? Was it due to our OL coaches? Was it due to something else? I don't know. But we have had one solid OL since 2015, and that was the 2017 season, and it took us three or four games to get our act together.

And we got graduate transfer 0-stars like Casey Dunn and 2-stars like Brandon Council who were developed by other programs, non-Power 5 programs, and started ahead of Auburn recruited 4-stars. What does that say about our ability to develop OL recruits?

Yes we have to recruit, but we have to make sure the 4-star and 5-star are going to pay off like one expects a 4-star and 5-star to pay off. That means they have to be developed.

Seems like I read/heard somewhere that Gus wanted his OL to be lighter and quicker vs. being stronger pile-movers, and Coach Russell was just doing what the HC wanted him to do. This might make sense if you’re doing a lot of pulling in a hurry-up no huddle offense, but is not much good when you need to man up and get that necessary yard or two to gain a first down/TD.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

14 guards, 2 centers, and a long snapper are more than enough to compete in the SEC.

You forgot 7 TEs!

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

Seems like I read/heard somewhere that Gus wanted his OL to be lighter and quicker vs. being stronger pile-movers, and Coach Russell was just doing what the HC wanted him to do. This might make sense if you’re doing a lot of pulling in a hurry-up no huddle offense, but is not much good when you need to man up and get that necessary yard or two to gain a first down/TD.

Nail hit head!  And even worse when you need them pass block. A solid base would go a long ways when having to block going backwards. 

3 hours ago, fredst said:

I would much rather recruit *and sign* elite players on the OL and DL and develop lower rated skill position guys than vice versa if you have to choose one or the other

Darn right. 

All kidding aside. the OL recruiting is absolutely the main reason for the downfall of the program. I 100% agree with you and there has been a group of us on the recruiting board that have been saying this for years. We all saw this coming. The top 10 recruiting classes were pretty much a rouse the last 4 years - all style and no beef. And now we are where we are...

People that have not been following recruiting have no idea how bad the OL situation really is... It is going to take years to get back to where we need to be. The new coach has his hands full. We need linemen badly, specifically OTs. 

17 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I would say that’s a good %. Add in terrible coaching, stale offense, poor defense, and a bad game plan and I think that does it. Over and over and over. 

Don't sugar coat it, how do you really feel?.I agree. Dye and even Tuberville came away quality OL. I guess Gus didn't get that memo.

59 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Our O-line has been awful for 3 to 5 years.

That's because they never gave Bill a chance

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's because they never gave Bill a chance

I feel like poor Bill was robbed of an opportunity to show his skills and potentially make millions protecting the blind side in the NFL

I’m asking this here bc I don’t want to start another thread....but if malzahn gets another coaching job, does Auburn still pay the entire 20mil? I actually heard his name mentioned relative to tenn (I know I know).

17 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m asking this here bc I don’t want to start another thread....but if malzahn gets another coaching job, does Auburn still pay the entire 20mil? I actually heard his name mentioned relative to tenn (I know I know).

It all depends on how his contract was written.  All indications are that Sexton is smart enough to not put that clause in there like agents use to do back in the day.

23 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Yes

So what's some people 's thoughts of what they think the o line play will be next year? 

I want to talk football because....nevermind

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So what's some people 's thoughts of what they think the o line play will be next year? 

I want to talk football because....nevermind

I think they'll be very good TBQH. At least relative to the last couple years. Same group as last year with decent coaching and sensible game plans? A QB with wheels and one of the better RBs in the SEC? Why not?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I think they'll be very good TBQH. At least relative to the last couple years. Same group as last year with decent coaching and sensible game plans? A QB with wheels and one of the better RBs in the SEC? Why not?

I'm of the opinion the o line wasn't that bad this past season. They weren't good either but they were good enough to beat the teams below us and on our level. Wasn't going to lead us to wins over the teams that out recruit us though. I don't even remember all the guys individually but if trox can stay healthy this would be his big chance to see if he can be special I assume. I felt our guard play was closer to hell yeah than wtf. I think they will be decent to pretty damn good myself

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm of the opinion the o line wasn't that bad this past season. They weren't good either but they were good enough to beat the teams below us and on our level. Wasn't going to lead us to wins over the teams that out recruit us though. I don't even remember all the guys individually but if trox can stay healthy this would be his big chance to see if he can be special I assume. I felt our guard play was closer to hell yeah than wtf. I think they will be decent to pretty damn good myself

I think most people just remember that uga game. And, to be fair, they were horrible that game. So was the DL. We just straight up got our asses kicked. 

But they got better. Much more improvement than I saw from the group the previous year. If they can get a full offseason and coherent coaching, they won't be a weakness. 

I agree, though, that they're still not on par with the top of the league. That's gonna take a minute. 

New OL Target's viewpoint on Auburn's recruiting: BRUTAL

“Auburn is definitely up there,” Shor said., “Another thing that draws me to Auburn as a recruit — Auburn hasn’t had a true offensive tackle since Greg Robinson that they signed out of high school."

Archived