OL recruiting under Gus Malzahn

Randy4AU

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a big reason he isn’t here. This was always my biggest issue with him. He could never recruit the most important unit on the field. I griped about this for years and said it was all coming to a head this year and it did.

29 minutes ago, alexava said:

This is why we couldn’t beat uga 

I would say that’s a good %. Add in terrible coaching, stale offense, poor defense, and a bad game plan and I think that does it. Over and over and over. 

Just look at bama as early as this year. I heard today or maybe it was yesterday their O-Line won the award given to the best O-Line (no idea what it’s called, and didn’t even know it existed), but without that line they don’t have 2 players at the Heisman ceremony this evening. Their RB doesn’t have all those td’s. They as a team are not playing in the N.C.  

Heck look at our two trips to the title game. We know it wasn’t the coaching. First one we were blessed with Superman, but he also had a SR laden O-Line that If I recall correctly had started together since they were freshman. Second trip was arguably our best line ever at AU. If nothing else they were at least the best group of run blocking kids I have ever seen in O&B. 

Old age has done a number on the old memory. So I apologize if some of the facts are slightly off, but don’t let that interfere with the point. 

The point is without an emphasis on the O-Line all other things don’t matter.  The exiting staff just showed us what the outcome of neglecting it will get us. 

I'll say it again...

We're a "run first play action team" and we suck at Oline recruiting???

This is why Gus is no longer the coach. 

Best O'Luck

Not only has that been the obvious glaring issue with the team there is no quick fix for it.  It’s going to take years of good recruiting and coaching to rectify this problem.  Hopefully CBH can land some transfers but that’s really no way to build a team it’s kinda like putting a band aid on a broken leg.  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Not only has that been the obvious glaring issue with the team there is no quick fix for it.  It’s going to take years of good recruiting and coaching to rectify this problem.  Hopefully CBH can land some transfers but that’s really no way to build a team it’s kinda like putting a band aid on a broken leg.  

I agree but I think we have no choice but to do the JUCO/transfer portal thing for OL for the next year or possibly 2. But I agree, not the best option. 

I am a strong believer that we need at least top 10 recruiting on both the OL and DL to compete well against UGA, LSU, UGA, FL and maybe TA&M. We have been able to usually field a good DL but not OL. We have not been close to that and our staffs have not been able to coach these kids into top level kids. We have a very long way to go here. 

10 hours ago, TXaubie said:

Just look at bama as early as this year. I heard today or maybe it was yesterday their O-Line won the award given to the best O-Line (no idea what it’s called, and didn’t even know it existed), but without that line they don’t have 2 players at the Heisman ceremony this evening. Their RB doesn’t have all those td’s. They as a team are not playing in the N.C.  

Heck look at our two trips to the title game. We know it wasn’t the coaching. First one we were blessed with Superman, but he also had a SR laden O-Line that If I recall correctly had started together since they were freshman. Second trip was arguably our best line ever at AU. If nothing else they were at least the best group of run blocking kids I have ever seen in O&B. 

Old age has done a number on the old memory. So I apologize if some of the facts are slightly off, but don’t let that interfere with the point. 

The point is without an emphasis on the O-Line all other things don’t matter.  The exiting staff just showed us what the outcome of neglecting it will get us. 

Auburn used to be known as RBU and three years ago Auburn held the nations longest 1,000 yr rusher streak at 9 straight years.  This program hasn't produced one in 3 seasons, the last time that happened in 3 consecutive years was 2006-2008.

This staff has a long, hard road ahead to get Auburn back to AU standards.

I would much rather recruit *and sign* elite players on the OL and DL and develop lower rated skill position guys than vice versa if you have to choose one or the other

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn used to be known as RBU and three years ago Auburn held the nations longest 1,000 yr rusher streak at 9 straight years.  This program hasn't produced one in 3 seasons, the last time that happened in 3 consecutive years was 2006-2008.

This staff has a long, hard road ahead to get Auburn back to AU standards.

2020: Tank 834 yds 6.0 ypc

2019: Whitlow 763 yds 4.9 ypc

2018: Whitlow 787 yds 5.2 ypc

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

14 guards, 2 centers, and a long snapper are more than enough to compete in the SEC.

Sounds like the makings of a pretty good basketball team.

Archived