Four Names to Watch for WR Coach

Zeek

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why wouldn't people like Craig? Sounds like he's an alpha male to me and he's an excellent recruiter. 

I would take him in a second but rivals says that Pam doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I would take him in a second but rivals says that Pam doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Oh man. Well that's usually how these things go! I guess we'll know soon enough!

22 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Why wouldn't people like Craig? Sounds like he's an alpha male to me and he's an excellent recruiter. 

DC is one of my favorite all Time players and he’s a great recruiter, I just don’t known how much he contributes as a coach. But the whole Duke Williams thing soured me in him. I watched Duke on Saturday’s give completely poor to no effort when he wasn’t being thrown to. Week after week, but DC kept rolling him out there. And he (and Gus) let that persist until DW broke Dampeers jaw. Very unprofessional and hurt that team a lot. Maybe he’s matured as a coach. 

16 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Believe you were probably thinking of Tony Robinson. He's the guy who lit us up in Knoxville in  1985 when we went up there ranked #1. Dye thought Bo was all we needed at the time, and started a freshman at QB. Bobby Walden if my memory is correct. 

i just remember he was falling backwards and threw a pass and i believe it was a touchdown. he really put a number on us that game.

11 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If I’m thinking of the same bull in the ring...that alone made me quit football.

they put you in a ring with the football then they can call however many players they want to hit you. all you can do is turn and hope you can lessen the blow. i think the ring of tacklers moved in a circle as well. it was used to toughen people up and also punishment. later it was outlawed because so many kids were getting hurt.

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

DC is one of my favorite all Time players and he’s a great recruiter, I just don’t known how much he contributes as a coach. But the whole Duke Williams thing soured me in him. I watched Duke on Saturday’s give completely poor to no effort when he wasn’t being thrown to. Week after week, but DC kept rolling him out there. And he (and Gus) let that persist until DW broke Dampeers jaw. Very unprofessional and hurt that team a lot. Maybe he’s matured as a coach. 

GUS was the problem here man just saying

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Gus was deciding who saw the field and didn't, not DC.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I don’t buy that. Gus mishandled a lot , but he wasn’t a tyrannical dictator. FWIW, DC is starting to get the same reputation at TAMU. These position coaches get paid way too much to not have some accountability for their players. 

I would take DC back in a heart beat, great guy.  All the things he said about Gus were proven true both publicly and privately.  If we only listened to all the warnings that he gave about Gus.

5 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

GUS was the problem here man just saying

So a guy is getting paid several hundred thousand a year and has zero accountability? Gus was part of the problem. I saw plenty of examples of assistants reaming players for poor effort while Gus was the HC. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t buy that. Gus mishandled a lot , but he wasn’t a tyrannical dictator. FWIW, DC is starting to get the same reputation at TAMU. These position coaches get paid way too much to not have some accountability for their players. 

That is fine, you don't have to, but I know for a fact on this one and most everything with the DC situation at Auburn as I told everyone back in the day.  Gus had designed packages and called the packages in and out as he was the offensive coordinator and play caller.  He chose everything.

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I would take DC back in a heart beat, great guy.  All the things he said about Gus were proven true both publicly and privately.  If we only listened to all the warnings that he gave about Gus.

agree!! I want to hear that Harsin ate at a hold in the wall not waffle house we need a dog not a wuss..

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Its called "chain of command". Craig had a boss, Gus, and if Gus wanted to wear a sombrero and nothing else at practice, then Gus had the authority to do so. He was the head man is responsible for it all. I am not saying that what DC was saying was wrong, just the way it went down. Insubordination is an automatic firing and I am not defending Gus. Make suggestions and hold discussions? absolutely! disobey an order? as long its not criminal or against policy? nope, can't have that. Problem is we don't know all the facts. Gus is gone, so we can start over and maybe get this thing right

I've seen what Auburn receivers look like with high end talent and mediocre coaching. DC would just be more of that imo. I would now like to see what Auburn looks like with elite coaching that has players NFL ready. 

15 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I've seen what Auburn receivers look like with high end talent and mediocre coaching. DC would just be more of that imo. I would now like to see what Auburn looks like with elite coaching that has players NFL ready. 

You’re failing to account for the third variable which is just as important: scheme. A Mickey Mouse scheme can torpedo talent and coaching; I think we witnessed plenty of that

From al.com:

The Volunteers have not yet replaced defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh, who was fired midway through the 2020 season, or offensive line coach Will Friend, who took a job at South Carolina (though he may be headed to Auburn, according to some reports). In addition, running backs coach Tee Martin (a Mobile native) and inside linebackers coach Brian Niedermeyer (a former Alabama staffer) have not had their contracts extended even though they expire at the end of January.

I just want people to think. What do you think a coach can do? You're either fast or you're not. You can jump or you can't? You have size or you don't. You have running instinct or you don't. You're coordinated or you're not.

Nobody has any secret technique of teaching someone how to catch. You say keep your eyes on it and catch! You have to try and try again until you can do it! 

You can spend a day or two explaining little things . Then you teach routes. EVERY wr should be able to run EVERY route.....that's it......but you can't blame a coach or anybody else for a guy not being able to catch. There's no button to push or anything to teach.

You just have to practice it over and over and over. EVERY SINGLE DAY. And hope your QB don't suck.

That's why you hear he couldn't catch so they moved him to defense. If it was this teachable thing why move them? A coach isn't going to transform. A wr coach motivates. That's really it

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

You’re failing to account for the third variable which is just as important: scheme. A Mickey Mouse scheme can torpedo talent and coaching; I think we witnessed plenty of that

True if your talking about KB. But he also has no experience outside that scheme. If you talking about DC then I think what Jimbo does at A&M is very similar to what we will see with CBH and CMB. I dont see the passing game at Texas A&M being the level I want AU to be. 

I hope that we can do better than DC. If the past stories are true about his negative recruiting regarding Auburn, then he doesn't deserve another chance. I prefer someone else.

I can't pretend to be know what a NFL receiver needs to know to be great. But lots  of people are fast and can catch. But how many people know what the defense is playing and can then determine where the hole is? Where to put your hands and feet if the DB is playing bump and run. How to counter the DB in bump and run? Where to keep your eyes. Knowing where to put your feet, hips, hands, head to run a crisp route. How many ways to sell a DB out of position. Do you know what route the other WR, RB and TE are running? Do you have the endurance to run the whole game?  How to improve endurance? How to improve hand strength? How to block. What weakness of the DB we looking to expose? What is the counter to how that DB is playing?  But honestly I can't imagine what I don't even know. I just feel like there is much more to being a receiver than knowing how to run and being naturally good at catching.

If I were WR coach. I would tell the receivers to lose their defender, go to open grassy area on the field look for the ball. If it isnt coming to you find another open spot, go there and look for ball to come to you. The QB will be looking for someone to get to the open spots in the grassy area. Then run to the big rectangle at end of field. Hand ball to the zebra looking guy then go get a drink. 

I think I could do this for a living. Its not brain surgery!!

Can I apply?

Archived