Harsin vs Gus from a former player

ValleyTiger

Sounds like Will was talking about Jeff Grimes as being a good recruiter and that he was. He had some GREAT GREAT OL here at Auburn. And we haven't seen lines like that since his players graduated in 2014ish (Jeff Grimes last year at AU was 2012). J.B Grimes did well with Jeff's players but could not recruit a OT to save his damn life. Especially his second go around. 

The other thing that stood out was the bit about Pittman. I do hope Pittman is capable of expanding (or has already expanded) on his idea of how to run a S&C program. I've personally felt for a while that our guys looked small compared to the competition. So i have thought we needed more weight training and glad to hear we are getting it. However i will say that Auburn has seemed to do really well in the injury department the last few years and i give Russell credit for that. He was doing something right in that area. I hope Pittman will be able to incorporate some of what Russel was doing and we'll have the best of both worlds. It stood out to me in the Harsin interview that he mentioned that he himself went through Pittmans program when he was a player at Boise. Harsin has first hand knowledge of Pittman and how he works so to me that is a pretty good endorsement for Pittman.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Wow!!! Yep, it was time for Gus to go.

about 6-7 yrs too late

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Gus, his inability to develop OL combined with his scheme is the sole reason we haven't been able to recruit many players worth a damn.  Hopefully with Friend and a more advanced scheme we'll be able to have a good OL again for the first time in a while

I have to slightly I mean just slightly disagree.

I don't know I'm just saying what I think.....I don't think many wholisten to this still not understand how big trash facility is. I could talk all day and tell you what these kids feel. 

First you're picking a school and though we're not top tier you think big time football. There's a pride to it. You are friends with a bunch of guys all over because you're a big time guy you have met the other big time guys social media etc. 

You see your friends locker room is better, gear is better, weight room better, they have access to hot tubs, sauna, so on when you don't and if you do it's very out dated. They have barbers (not trying but very very very big in the black community. Most visit the barber every single week) video games and things like that.....what are you picking? When you go to the gym what do most look at. Same with apartments. What's available even if you don't use it. But you could if you wanted. 

Then on top of that you have to BEG for the most basic stuff? You have to beg for things that help you succeeded. On top of we have a contract to a lesser brand anyway.....that's why they call us farmers.....

I can take not having everything but I'm still big time you have to try. You can't literally trick me. I'm going to be tried and executed if I for any reason do something to better my self by thousands of people....you can at the least supply my new shoes when I need them.....off brand shoes at that.

It's hilarious it's always they paid them off and gave them chargers.....no they probably gave them shoes and a beanie

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

Everybody should listen to this and you'd understand some of our struggles recently. It's not rocket science.

Also LMAO at when grimes was here how everybody was saying he couldn't recruit. It shows how much people really know about stuff

I really thought he was great. We had one of the best recruiting classes here with him. We pulled offensive lineman from all over and there was a reason why Texas wanted him. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I recall that Grimes could recruit well, but kinda like Rocker he didn't want to be on the road all the time.  I think he had some young kids when he was here.

They definitely did but I said it so everybody is going to capeand pretend it didn't happen. But then if I pulled out a screenshot or brought up an old post I'd be an ass hole. You gotta love these guys

I'm not going to reply or talk about it anymore because like in most threads they'll focus on that and miss the significance of here's a freaking podcast telling you the major problems

34 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Sounds like Will was talking about Jeff Grimes as being a good recruiter and that he was. He had some GREAT GREAT OL here at Auburn. And we haven't seen lines like that since his players graduated in 2014ish (Jeff Grimes last year at AU was 2012). J.B Grimes did well with Jeff's players but could not recruit a OT to save his damn life. Especially his second go around. 

The other thing that stood out was the bit about Pittman. I do hope Pittman is capable of expanding (or has already expanded) on his idea of how to run a S&C program. I've personally felt for a while that our guys looked small compared to the competition. So i have thought we needed more weight training and glad to hear we are getting it. However i will say that Auburn has seemed to do really well in the injury department the last few years and i give Russell credit for that. He was doing something right in that area. I hope Pittman will be able to incorporate some of what Russel was doing and we'll have the best of both worlds. It stood out to me in the Harsin interview that he mentioned that he himself went through Pittmans program when he was a player at Boise. Harsin has first hand knowledge of Pittman and how he works so to me that is a pretty good endorsement for Pittman.

Well said @gravejd my thoughts exactly

58 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Kind of down about the comments on Pitman but at the same time he said Pitman would restore Mental toughness which was encouraging. He said he wished Pitman would however take notes from Russell on the things he did which helped with preventing injuries. Not sure exactly what that is and someone here can probably give some insight on what Russell did differently. 

I’m a little surprised about that as well. It never seemed like the build/physique of our players changed much if any under the previous S&C coach. 

This pretty much confirms what I figured THE ENTIRE TIME.

I don't expect any vindication on the front of QB and personnel decisions but whatever. People always say "tHe CoACheS eValUAte tAlENT" and "pLaYErs tRANsFer & DoNT dO aNYthInG sO tHEy wErENt aNy gOod."

Coach Malzahn is pretty much what we thought he was. A madden player that schemes up mechanics and a specific system but not a TRUE football type. Madden players are good at little niches like Nano-Blitzes, animations, exploits in the game, but ask them anything about football etc.

There are very many players that probably transferred to schools that have real systems that rely on football adjustments and knowledge to basically run the system and they fall behind. This all pretty much adds up and to think how much talent we just hemorrhaged as well as the WRs that just declared for the draft and may be completely behind the 8-ball....

Man.

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

This pretty much confirms what I figured THE ENTIRE TIME.

I don't expect any vindication on the front of QB and personnel decisions but whatever. People always say "tHe CoACheS eValUAte tAlENT" and "pLaYErs tRANsFer & DoNT dO aNYthInG sO tHEy wErENt aNy gOod."

Coach Malzahn is pretty much what we thought he was. A madden player that schemes up mechanics and a specific system but not a TRUE football type. Madden players are good at little niches like Nano-Blitzes, animations, exploits in the game, but ask them anything about football etc.

There are very many players that probably transferred to schools that have real systems that rely on football adjustments and knowledge to basically run the system and they fall behind. This all pretty much adds up and to think how much talent we just hemorrhaged as well as the WRs that just declared for the draft and may be completely behind the 8-ball....

Man.

I'm so glad you're here.....they'll listen to you. I don't think it's setting in how big the stuff that was said. If this stuff is true we're negatively recruited so easily, we may actually be a joke in the recruiting circles right now. This will take a while to fix

And I don't see why these guys would lie about anything

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have to slightly I mean just slightly disagree.

I don't know I'm just saying what I think.....I don't think many wholisten to this still not understand how big trash facility is. I could talk all day and tell you what these kids feel. 

First you're picking a school and though we're not top tier you think big time football. There's a pride to it. You are friends with a bunch of guys all over because you're a big time guy you have met the other big time guys social media etc. 

You see your friends locker room is better, gear is better, weight room better, they have access to hot tubs, sauna, so on when you don't and if you do it's very out dated. They have barbers (not trying but very very very big in the black community. Most visit the barber every single week) video games and things like that.....what are you picking? When you go to the gym what do most look at. Same with apartments. What's available even if you don't use it. But you could if you wanted. 

Then on top of that you have to BEG for the most basic stuff? You have to beg for things that help you succeeded. On top of we have a contract to a lesser brand anyway.....that's why they call us farmers.....

I can take not having everything but I'm still big time you have to try. You can't literally trick me. I'm going to be tried and executed if I for any reason do something to better my self by thousands of people....you can at the least supply my new shoes when I need them.....off brand shoes at that.

It's hilarious it's always they paid them off and gave them chargers.....no they probably gave them shoes and a beanie

I don't disagree that our facilities are bad.

5 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’m a little surprised about that as well. It never seemed like the build/physique of our players changed much if any under the previous S&C coach. 

The only exception I can think of is Carl Lawson. But crap, he looked like Atlas when he got here on campus anyway. 

Lol. Meanwhile people are posting we are going to get better because we have another guy to tell them to look the ball in to catch it 😂

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They definitely did but I said it so everybody is going to capeand pretend it didn't happen. But then if I pulled out a screenshot or brought up an old post I'd be an ass hole. You gotta love these guys

I'm not going to reply or talk about it anymore because like in most threads they'll focus on that and miss the significance of here's a freaking podcast telling you the major problems

Everyone loves to change who they blame over time.  I wasn't here, but I remember lots of places moving the blame/praise for people over time.  A few places praised Gus for 2010, then it was really Rhette who developed Cam, then ppl turned on Rhette when he was the OC, then oh look his offense doesn't suck when he's not under Gus and Gus still sucks.

Flavor of the month who to blame for s***

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Meanwhile people are posting we are going to get better because we have another guy to tell them to look the ball in to catch it 😂

Who is posting that? 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I don't disagree that our facilities are bad.

No I agree with you. In your post you said and I'm paraphrasing but you said stuff was the sole reason. And I agree with you it's major but faculties is a huge deal is all I'm saying. And I'm not saying you said facilities were good

3 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Completely accurate. Stidham was the best example to me. In terms of completion percentage and TD to Int ratio, his best season was as a true freshman at Baylor. Numbers decreased his first year under Gus, then decreased more his second year. Left Gus and was deemed skilled enough to be drafted by HOFer coach Belicheck. Similarly, Jeremy Johnson looked great as a freshman, solid as a sophomore, and by year 3 was a train wreck. So happy for the Harsin era. War Eagle 🦅 

1 minute ago, AUnCullman said:

Who is posting that? 

Go to the new wr coach thread or go to the farewell kodi thread and you will see plenty of people who think wr will improve because of some secret fundamental technique

Just now, cole256 said:

Go to the new wr coach thread or go to the farewell kodi thread and you will see plenty of people who think wr will improve because of some secret fundamental technique

I will check that out.

12 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I agree with this. I know our guys are strong but they don't look cut like. And I know this is where people laugh and joke about push ups and etc but it's sort of weird to me

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

No I agree with you. In your post you said and I'm paraphrasing but you said stuff was the sole reason. And I agree with you it's major but faculties is a huge deal is all I'm saying. And I'm not saying you said facilities were good

Yeah I was just agreeing with you.  I think some players would be able to overlook our trash facilities if we put beast players in the NFL.  It's both.  In 2 years we'll at least above average on facilities and hopefully up to speed on scheme/coaching.

I was pretty worried about how Gus would design/influence the facility.  Like it would be football only and not have the frivolous thing that are actually important to the players.  

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Completely accurate. Stidham was the best example to me. In terms of completion percentage and TD to Int ratio, his best season was as a true freshman at Baylor. Numbers decreased his first year under Gus, then decreased more his second year. Left Gus and was deemed skilled enough to be drafted by HOFer coach Belicheck. Similarly, Jeremy Johnson looked great as a freshman, solid as a sophomore, and by year 3 was a train wreck. So happy for the Harsin era. War Eagle 🦅 

Yep, we get guys that have all the tools and measurables and then under Coach Malzahn, they basically devolve into square pegs being jammed into round holes until the edges that made them what they are break off of them and they become a poorly crafted psuedo-circle. That's an egregious misuse of talent.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Our WR will improve b/c we aren't running a HS offense with 1 option then tell Bo to run as option 2

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And I don't see why these guys would lie about anything

Exactly, and let's be honest, they were holding back. There was a lot that wasn't said that you can read between the lines. 

Archived