Nick Eason New DL Coach

Tony4AU

Outside of Mason, I'm most excited about the hires of the coaches in the trenches... We so desperately need to get back to good line play on both sides of the ball. It seemed like in the Chizik and Gus years we'd either have a good O-line, good D-line, or bad all around, but never both lines firing on all cylinders in the same year. Seems like these coaches have a good shot of changing that.

And we now have, what, three QB developers on this staff (including analysts)? That's a massive upgrade. We will soon no longer have to rely on otherworldly talent out of JUCO at the QB position to make our coaches look good. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Vandelay said:

Outside of Mason, I'm most excited about the hires of the coaches in the trenches... We so desperately need to get back to good line play on both sides of the ball. It seemed like in the Chizik and Gus years we'd either have a good O-line, good D-line, or bad all around, but never both lines firing on all cylinders in the same year. Seems like these coaches have a good shot of changing that.

And we now have, what, three QB developers on this staff (including analysts)? That's a massive upgrade. We will soon no longer have to rely on otherworldly talent out of JUCO at the QB position to make our coaches look good. 

I agree 100% with your thoughts on OL/DL play. It has been said some but I think it’s huge we have 2 OL coaches on staff. Having another set of eyes on the OL from a guy that’s played in the pros and coached (bedell) is huge to go along with friend. I think coach Eason is a great hire. I’d love for us to go get a DL coach from a mid major level team and have him be a DL analyst.

8 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

I agree 100% with your thoughts on OL/DL play. It has been said some but I think it’s huge we have 2 OL coaches on staff. Having another set of eyes on the OL from a guy that’s played in the pros and coached (bedell) is huge to go along with friend. I think coach Eason is a great hire. I’d love for us to go get a DL coach from a mid major level team and have him be a DL analyst.

I’m not sure analysts can be “on the field” to be another set of eyes unless you mean working with film.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m not sure analysts can be “on the field” to be another set of eyes unless you mean working with film.

Yeah I just mean the normal analyst responsibilities but with a focus on just the DL.

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Butch Jones was on the field constantly while at Bama, including coaching on the sidelines on gameday. Hopefully we can start doing the same. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Butch Jones was on the field constantly while at Bama, including coaching on the sidelines on gameday. Hopefully we can start doing the same. 

Gotcha, I am probably misinformed about the rules.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I dont think you are misinformed.   Saban just makes his own rules.  The rules are very specific in what these "analysts" can do but they are not be followed at bama or anywhere most likely.  

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They might not be wired for that particular grind- going out and kissing hands and shaking babies, extra road trips on top of what you have to do during the season, checking in on kids that live 2 states away, just the whole sales aspect of it. I don't even know what all goes into recruiting, but I would imagine it's a completely different skill set and require different motivation than actual coaching. 

I know I'd be terrible at it. I'd be good at going to these kids' towns and eating ribs or jambalaya or whatever the local specialty is. But I wouldn't be good at any of the rest of it. 

Where do I send my resumé for this position? I have references as well.

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Where do I send my resumé for this position? I have references as well.

I hope I'm not one of your references because I will 100% sabotage your candidacy and tell them I'd be better for the gig. 

I love you, buddy, but I also love ribs.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope I'm not one of your references because I will 100% sabotage your candidacy and tell them I'd be better for the gig. 

I love you, buddy, but I also love ribs.

I was hoping for a “strength and conditioning” type of arrangement. There’s room at the cochon de lait for more multiple coaches. 

21 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think you’re correct on the rules. It is just that again, Bama doesn’t play by them. 😀

On 1/28/2021 at 10:37 PM, Hank2020 said:

From the NCAA rules several years ago:

11.7.1.1 Countable Coach. An institutional staff member or any other individual outside the institution (e.g., consultant, professional instructor) with whom the institution has made arrangements must count against coaching limits in the applicable sport as soon as the individual participates (in any manner) in any of the following: 
(Revised: 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14) 
(a) Provides technical or tactical instruction related to the sport to a student-athlete at any time; 
(b) Makes or assists in making tactical decisions related to the sport during on-court or on-field practice or competition; or 
(c) Engages in any off-campus recruiting activities.

This sounds like they cannot even provide commentary during film study, nor be on headset during a game or communicate with a coach while observing a practice.

I remember when Kiffin left they interviewed some Bama player about the change in OC for the bowl game, and they player said it was no big deal because they were used to “working with coach” at practice.

5 minutes ago, meh130 said:

From the NCAA rules several years ago:

11.7.1.1 Countable Coach. An institutional staff member or any other individual outside the institution (e.g., consultant, professional instructor) with whom the institution has made arrangements must count against coaching limits in the applicable sport as soon as the individual participates (in any manner) in any of the following: 
(Revised: 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14) 
(a) Provides technical or tactical instruction related to the sport to a student-athlete at any time; 
(b) Makes or assists in making tactical decisions related to the sport during on-court or on-field practice or competition; or 
(c) Engages in any off-campus recruiting activities.

This sounds like they cannot even provide commentary during film study, nor be on headset during a game or communicate with a coach while observing a practice.

I remember when Kiffin left they interviewed some Bama player about the change in OC for the bowl game, and they player said it was no big deal because they were used to “working with coach” at practice.

Thank you for reaching out with the actual written guidance.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:22 PM, Vandelay said:

If I could pick two units to make really good hires it would be those two. The lines are everything in CFB.

I think in 2010 the DL was very good (made LaMichael James damn near irrelevant). It was the secondary that was our achilles' heel (I still ❤️ you Zach).

17 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this but thought y’all might wanna see it 

I look for Handy to have a super season next year. He flashed some solid skills down the stretch. 

SIAP, but I'm not sure we're talking enough about how Eason could pass for a final boss in the Hell's Kitchen area of the MCU.

Actually, Harsin could, too. 

I feel like this will mean something as time goes on.

Archived