Nick Eason New DL Coach

Tony4AU

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

He has never been college coach.  We have no idea his ability or willingness to recruit or get players TO the NFL.  He has proven he can coach NFL players to be better but how does that translate?

I don't really understand this line of thinking.

You send players to the NFL by recruiting athletes with the natural talent/physical tools/athleticism that puts them into "NFL-potential" discussion, and then teaching them the technique, skills, positional knowledge, etc. that NFL teams look for at their respected position. If the coach has already spent the bulk of his career coaching at the NFL level, then the expectation would be that he already knows what "skills" to teach. It's not like he's going to come in here and start teaching them the wrong things? You could give some credence to the idea that maybe he won't know how to translate his coaching style to college kids vs. NFL players, but if you watch that Senior Bowl video (where he's coaching college players) I don't see anything that would indicate that he'll struggle to adapt.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the hire.  Always glad to have a Ex-Steeler on staff. 

he’s played in the 3-4 and 4-3 in pros and coached them in NFL too. 

he can also flash his Super Bowl ring he got w the Steelers when he goes out recruiting. Can’t hurt. 😉

The video gets me pumped up! I think he will do great.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but someone asked if he was available or did we steal him away... Seems he was being replaced at Cincy, but some felt he was a scapegoat for their defense not doing well?

Feels like at worst a lateral move from Rocker and most likely an upgrade based on unknown potential wrt recruiting. Now looking forward to bringing in a couple of key recruits/transfers to solidify depth in the at-risk position groups

This hire is just another indication that AU has the right guy in charge..He’s comfortable enough in his own skin to hire guys that are capable of being “the guy in charge”. He obviously trusted Mason’s judgement.

Harsin isn’t coaching to keep his job, he’s got something to prove.. he’s got a little chip on his shoulder, it’s the kind of attitude that a coach has to have to win championships in the toughest league in the country.

It’s also the attitude needed to excel and succeed while doing things your way and not the way that TPTB want.

Time will tell if he can get the job done but he’s got the right attitude that will give him the opportunity to.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am a big believer of performing to get talent. Seen too many times our talent not playing to their level

Personally, I think that is one of the biggest keys to successful recruiting.  18-year-old football players are not looking for a salesman, they are looking for a program where they can play and get developed into an NFL draft pick.  Auburn football is also not looking for Nobel Laureates in physics, they are looking for football players.  Auburn will win recruiting battles when a pattern of development is established.  Put players high in the NFL draft consistently, and you don't have to sell Auburn, Auburn will sell itself.

I used to wonder why RBs did not flock to Auburn under Gus, then I noticed that only Tre, CAP, and KJ got drafted, and KJ was the highlight in the 2nd round, while Alabama tossed nearly a dozen RBs into the draft in that same period.  18-year-olds might think facilities are cool, but they are ultimately swayed by statistics that could potentially turn them into multi-millionaires.

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also too is there anybody I'm cool with that feels like I don't know if he'll be able to recruit against the best in the sec? 

I ask because I have questions I'd like to ask about this logic because I'm curious as to how they view recruiting to be

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking. But he’s got ( from these short videos) a personality that has potential to charm. If he has never recruited before ever..... he was recruited himself from high school. He was around hundreds of people very similar who were recruited. And he has nine other coaches who all recruit every day. It’s not like he’s going to be just blindly thrown into a fire with no one to lean on. Harsin will approach it like any other industry.  Training, mentoring and teamwork with other coaches. I’m more comfortable with him at zero experience than Rocker with 2 decades. 

11 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

After watching the video, I'm all in for Coach Eason! The days of coaches not cussin' at Auburn are over!!!

Praise God !!!!! and i mean it even He Himself cleared the temple !!!!!

What I like about this hire, is this is someone Coash Mason knew and had wanted on his staff previously.  IMO, Harsin and Mason got together and sought out someone together, vs Harsin picking a DL coach and letting his DC know who he was getting.  I often felt like this was something Gus would do, hire who he wanted and hoped everyone meshed vs using a team approach to interview candidates and find who will gel the best with the rest of the staff.

12 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I really like the coaching style and NFL background.  BUT... I totally don't get the concept of some people here.  He has never been college coach.  We have no idea his ability or willingness to recruit or get players TO the NFL.  He has proven he can coach NFL players to be better but how does that translate?

Not looking to get bashed here. Just pointing out a couple points the sober me would wait for someone else to ask.

watching the senior bowl video hell i want to play for him and i am sixtyfive. i am not kidding. he has charisma and i bet he brings in some cats that can play. and i bet he can throw a bbq as well. lol

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

watching the senior bowl video hell i want to play for him and i am sixtyfive. i am not kidding. he has charisma and i bet he brings in some cats that can play. and i bet he can throw a bbq as well. lol

I feel the same way after watching the video.  I am 78 and I intend to keep you on the bench while you watch me play😁

Just now, slot canyon said:

I feel the same way after watching the video.  I am 78 and I intend to keep you on the bench while you watch me play😁

bring yo depends hoss and i will bring mine. at worst maybe we can get a seat close to the cheer leaders........lol

I am almost 3 1/2 times older than those cheerleaders who want to sit by, But either sitting there or playing for Coach Eason I’m game for either.

9 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I think that is one of the biggest keys to successful recruiting.  18-year-old football players are not looking for a salesman, they are looking for a program where they can play and get developed into an NFL draft pick.  Auburn football is also not looking for Nobel Laureates in physics, they are looking for football players.  Auburn will win recruiting battles when a pattern of development is established.  Put players high in the NFL draft consistently, and you don't have to sell Auburn, Auburn will sell itself.

I used to wonder why RBs did not flock to Auburn under Gus, then I noticed that only Tre, CAP, and KJ got drafted, and KJ was the highlight in the 2nd round, while Alabama tossed nearly a dozen RBs into the draft in that same period.  18-year-olds might think facilities are cool, but they are ultimately swayed by statistics that could potentially turn them into multi-millionaires.

exactly. and some, believe it or not, don't give a hoot about the "Auburn Family".  Several years ago I was in a local golf fund raiser of some sort and was in a foursome with an ex player (from the 70's). Said they couldn't get the ones from 90's on, to come back and be a part of AU clubs etc. Couldn't care less.

This might be one of Harsin's better hires.  I think we traded up from Rocker.

Rocker wasn't going to recruit.  Eason hasn't ever recruited, but he's got a bit personality and that'll go along way on the trail.  Coaching should be at least on par.

Hopefully he can recruit, seems to have the bravado for it.

I look at it like this: Rocker didn't like to go on the road to recruit but would recruit when the prospect was on campus; Eason has never recruited. So, in a sense, Rocker never recruited, either. I feel like this is a trade-off, and AU may be better off with Eason since he and Mason, who reportedly is a good recruiter, are buddies and he can learn from Mason. Rocker apparently never wanted to learn and had no interest. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

This might be one of Harsin's better hires.  I think we traded up from Rocker.

Rocker wasn't going to recruit.  Eason hasn't ever recruited, but he's got a bit personality and that'll go along way on the trail.  Coaching should be at least on par.

Hopefully he can recruit, seems to have the bravado for it.

Agree. I keep seeing some variation on the term "personal connections" when talking about this guy. That is a critical component to the recruiting game. Most of these guys need to either genuinely be "people people", or they need to be actual sociopaths, lol. Because it's not something that they can get away with just turning on for Momma on her couch. They've got to be on with the recruits' coaches., they've got to be on with school admins, they've got to be on with each other, with boosters, with their own admins... they've got to make everyone up and down the chain want the recruits going to Nick Eason U. 

From what I hear, this guy didn't just connect to NFL players because he's one of them. He's just a dude that likes people and makes them like him back. That's an asset. 

15 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I need a coach to call a player a M*!^|¥|!>£_’dhrn and a big fat D*+*_\~?’b 

Woah... I can't believe you said M*!^|¥|!>£_’. 

You need to be careful. We save that for the football field you $&πש°¶{^£|π¥©π

Archived