What's wrong with the 22nd Amendment?

Tiger Al

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the 22nd amendment to the Constitution.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years after the date of its submission for ratification:

Sponsor: Rep Hoyer, Steny H. [MD-5]

Cosponsors(4):Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] Rep Pallone, Frank, Jr. [NJ-6] Rep Sabo, Martin Olav [MN-5] Rep Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [WI-5]

LINK

Hmmmm....four liberal Democrats and a conservative Republican. Nothing I see that they all have in common, except, gee, they've all been sitting in Congress since Reagan or earlier. Wonder what they're up to.

Personally, I'm against it. That's the Amendment that limits the President to two terms, which was good when Clinton was in office, and is good now. No Presidents-for-life in THIS beautiful country, no sir!

Political leaders need to be changed as often as diapers, for the same reasons, as evidenced by the fact that the Republicans we elected to get rid of the corrupt, entrenched Democrats in 1994 are now corrupt, entrenched Republicans doing the same old politics as usual.

I believe that government "service" should be limited to 8 years, PERIOD!!! Whether it is as councilman, mayor, governor or president. Eliminate career politicians and you eliminate many of the ills of our system of government.

I believe that government "service" should be limited to 8 years, PERIOD!!!  Whether it is as councilman, mayor, governor or president.  Eliminate career politicians and you eliminate many of the ills of our system of government.

164099[/snapback]

agreed....I mean, now a days, its made into a career. Locally, Alvin Holmes and Larry Dixon need to go.

We don't need people who's been around 15-20-30 years still hangin around

I'm definitely in favor of term limits for U.S. offices (President/House/Senate)...on the state level, let it be a state issue.

To stay on topic, the 22nd amendment is fine as is.

Eliminate career politicians and you eliminate many of the ills of our system of government.

164099[/snapback]

You are absolutely correct. I would go as far as to cut back the life time pension they get for serving as well. That would save the country a whole lot of money.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I don't ever see this being repealed. And it shouldn't be. There are people out there that would not follow the noble example of Washington and would run until they died (like Senators and Representatives do). Eight years of one man's leadership is enough, no matter which side of the aisle you sit on.

Archived