Auburn Pro Day 2021 Thread

abw0004

Eli Stove’s ‘time is up’ at Auburn, ready for next step

Updated 2:06 PM; Today 7:29 AM

By Giana Han

When Eli Stove arrived at Auburn in 2016 with fellow wide receivers Nate Craig-Myers and Kyle Davis, he was well aware of the whispers that he would be the worst of the three.

Four years later, Stove was the only one in the Auburn starting lineup and the only one even on the roster.

The road from Stove’s freshman season to his redshirt senior season in 2020 was a tough one, featuring injuries and disappointment, but Stove would do it all a second time. Even when he had the chance to transfer as a graduate student, he never did.

“I just wanted to show everybody that I could do it all,” Stove said. “I know that the transfer portal’s a big thing now, but I’m a loyal person.”

By staying, Stove put together back-to-back seasons as one of Auburn’s top-three receivers, even while dealing with injuries. He finished with 359 passing yards and three touchdown catches, as well as 51 rushing yards in 2020, and he had 321 passing yards and three touchdown catches as well as 57 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown in 2019.

From his freshman to his redshirt senior season, Stove experienced five bowls and an SEC Championship. While he didn’t achieve his goal of becoming a captain, he made it on the leadership council and became one of the most respected players on the team. Overall, it was a great experience.

Stove could have stayed yet another year because the 2020 season didn’t count towards his eligibility. But the decision was easy for him. It was time to move on and see if he could take his talent to the next level.

“I really just felt that my time was up,” Stove said. “I think I did a lot I could do for the school … I’m really just getting old, too. I just wanted to get my life started.”

As Stove readies for the 2021 NFL Draft, he took some time to sit down with AL.com and talk about his Auburn career, the future of the Tigers and the new staff, as well his and his teammates’ preparations for the upcoming draft.

How would you describe your Auburn career?

“It was amazing. I love playing for the fans. It had its ups and downs, but, honestly, it was great. It was a great time, great experience. You know, I’d do it for a second time, if I could, honestly.”

Looking back, what were some of your highest points at Auburn, whether it was on the field or off the field?

“I’d really say, 2016, 2017. 2018 was a just crazy year but -- and this year, I feel like, was crazy too. But for sure, my first two years were our highest times as a team and you know, everybody being together. I feel like we had everything we needed, just you know, we just couldn’t put everything together at some point. On and off the field, I think that was the most together team we had, 2016, 2017 …

“Really just the whole 2017 season was crazy. It was rocky in the beginning because we lost to Clemson … We picked it up at the Missouri game. And we just was on a roll. That was the year we beat Bama and Georgia … We went to the SEC Championship. Coulda went to the national championship but we lost in the SEC championship, against Georgia again. But it was a great year. You know, I think we had plenty of talent everywhere on the field. But like I said, we always had something, you know, not go our way or just stuff, you know, wish we could do better.”

Through adversity, Eli Stove sticks with commitment to helping Auburn win

Auburn wide receiver Eli Stove is quietly one of the most efficient players on the offense.

What were the most important things that made you the player and person you are today?

“Really what made me the person I am today like would have been after my injury, after my knee injury in 2018 spring. It was just crazy to see how the world turns on you. You know, just people saying stuff about you. Or like, really, not even that. People was just, you know, me coming back, not feeling the same, feeling like I’m not ever going to be the same. But I feel like I got better. I worked on things that I needed to work on. Still have to work on some stuff, to this day, but I feel better. I feel like I got better this past season. I still wish things could have went differently, but I’m not really worried. I feel like an NFL team that picks me up is going to get the best out of me. And I know that for sure. I know they know that I’mma come with it all, be focused and get ready to get the job done.”

What were the biggest things you wish would have gone differently?

“Oh yeah I mean, the injury, I think that was for a reason. I think, you know, God doesn’t make mistakes. I think he did that to make me settle down, just worry about what’s going on right now and not the future. I can’t change anything.

“But the biggest thing, really, was just, I wish we got the ball more, stuff like that. But I never look back at the past.”

How did those experiences help you grow into a leader?

“The leader role, I will say, I didn’t get to be captain, and I wanted to be a captain. But I still had a job to do. If anybody ever needed anything, they knew they could come to me. I felt like I had the most respect, even though I wasn’t a captain. Everybody knew what I had to offer. You know, like a great person overall, if they needed questions answered, stuff like that, they came to me. Just if they wanted to hang out, I’m always there …

“It took me a while, you know, because I’m not really like a loud person. But if I got something to say, I’m not going to, like – I’m not the person who will say it in front of everybody, but I”ll pull somebody to the side if that’s the person that has the problem.”

You were a part of the leadership council that talked to Malzahn about the Black Lives Matter movement. Do you feel you accomplished your goals?

“I feel like we did a pretty decent job you know. We got the patch on our jersey. You know we had a statement come out … I think they said they’re gathering money to have more African-American students. I’m hoping they’re still continuing to do that … I think we all started something but now it’s just up to the people after me to finish it.”

What are the things you’re working on improving, especially as you prepare for the draft?

“I’d say my releases, top of my route. Really just how I run my routes, honestly. I want to change some stuff up, fix some stuff so. And speed, of course. I want to get faster, stronger, stuff like that.”

What do you think your strengths are?

“I’d say, just, I’m versatile. I can do anything well. I can play special teams. I can play receiver. I can play in the backfield. I really just do it all. So that’s one of my biggest strengths.

You got to go to Hawaii for the Hula Bowl. What was that experience like?

“It was a fun experience. The game-wise, it was more of a running game than anything. Like, it was crazy because during the week, that’s what the coaches were saying, like during the week, the scouts really only cared about the practices. The game was something fun. But the practices I did really well. I had an ending practice touchdown that was a deep fade into the end zone. And I think I did really well. Same thing with Jordyn (Peters), too. It was just a really fun experience. It was a, you know, something that I’m glad I went to … I got on a moped for the first time, you know, ride around the city. It was crazy. I seen a lot of stuff.”

The top three wide receivers left for the draft. Who is left behind in the wide receiver room?

“I think this past freshman class is probably one of the best classes. They’ve got talent across the board. They’re all different. But they’re all good at what they do. I think they can do everything. You’ve got somebody like Kobe (Hudson) that’s probably going to be the leader… Elijah Canion, he didn’t have too much of a role last year, but you seen his last game. He scored… Then you got Ze’Vian Capers. He’s still going to be — he did a lot for us this past year. I think he’s going to continue to get better and get more balls coming his way and really just be in contention for that star spot. JJ Edmonds, he was on scout team, but the defense said he was KILLING them on scout team, so I just know he’s going to come with something different this year… You still have Shedrick Jackson that’s there. He’s going to be a leader, for sure. He’s kinda like me. He doesn’t say much. But when he says something, people listen. He has a lot of respect.”

What have you heard about the new coaches from them?

“I think they’re liking it. You know, it’s kinda hard at first, but I think they’re liking it … They actually said they like (Cornelius Williams) a lot, so that’s good … All I know (about Bryan Harsin) is they said he works out with them, and that’s a lot. That gives the team some respect for him … I respect him for that, too, honestly.”

What can you say about each of the guys going to the draft with you?

“(Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz) are both crazy competitors. Like we would go bowling, and me and Seth would be there competing in bowling. Or it would be me and Flash playing a Fifa game or just playing games. Anything. Like they’re just competitive. Those are two competitive players. Of course, they have their stuff on the field, but off the field, they’re just like great players. On the field, Seth is the best 50-50 man in the class. I’ll give you that. Flash is the fastest in college football. Now I want to see him run against Tyreek. I think he’ll give Tyreek a run for his money. They’re great players …

“I’m working out with Jordyn Peters right now. He’s looking good and getting bigger. He gained a lot of weight. Still can’t out-bench me, but he gained a lot of weight… that’s my dog. I think he’s going to be like a sleeper. For sure. He brings a lot to everything. It’s crazy. Everyone here loves him, everyone I’m training with. He went to the Hula Bowl. He was the guy everybody was talking about. I think he’s going to bring a lot to a team, just his athleticism. Just how he gets to the ball… he’s long. Everybody loves a long safety …

“We got KJ. KJ Britt. He’s a leader. I’ve heard from people I’m training with now that they LOVED K.J. at the Senior Bowl, just the way he communicates with people. He’s just a great person all-around. Just a physical football player. He’s out there trying to knock somebody’s head loose, and that’s what you want in a middle linebacker …

“Jamien Sherwood. He’s quiet off the field. But on the field, he got a mouth. But that’s what I love about him. He got that little juice to his game that a lot of people don’t have. He’s a tall safety, long safety, real physical. I remember when he killed that dude from Texas A&M. It was crazy.”

Eli Stove with the vertical jump Thursday during Auburn Pro Day on Thursday, March 18, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Does seeing your teammates get drafted last year affect your mentality, especially since some were drafted late but became key players?

“A lot of people been sleeping on Auburn players … I was telling someone the other day that it doesn’t matter to me because I know I’m not going to be in the high rounds or anything like that, and I haven’t been worried about it. Drafted or not drafted, I feel like I’m going to make a team. I got a lot of talent and everybody that is going into this pro day has extreme talent. I think there’s more to everybody’s game, though. I feel like teams gonna get that out of us, too. I feel like that’s why we’ve been excelling in the leagues. Because there’s always more from us, from Auburn players.”

You heard from different teams at camps. What were they telling you?

“They all say the same thing about me, so that’s pretty good… They said I’m versatile.”

If you get your name called, what do you think your emotions will be?

“It’s going to be crazy. It’s going to be exciting. It would be a blessing. I literally give it my all every day. It’s just crazy, to get a shot, to get drafted, to get my name called. It’d be crazy.”

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the salary cap this year and the way teams build up their roster I can see several of these guys making a scout team or roster. Teams are looking for players who garner smaller price tags due to the cap. That all changes next season. 

Archived