Jumbo tight end grabs the attention of Bobo

aubiefifty

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit, when I saw him single-handedly dismantle my WC Vikings in the playoffs 2 years ago, I was really excited to see him play DT at AU.  At that time, I thought his size and skill set would project better at DL. After seeing him in an AU uniform and a 2nd coaching staff thinking he will help the team more on offense, I have changed my mind.  He can be a very versatile and effective piece on offense and I am really looking forward to watching what he can do the next 2-3 years!!!!

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Jay Prosch and CJ Uzomah in the same body. Eric Smith, but bigger and maybe more athletic.  

Hate to say it, but some nanny nanny boo boos will be distributed to the "move him to DL" crowd this season. 

I personally think he is a guy that could excel on both sides. I think he is that talented. I mean if he’s not an every down player on O I think he could bring some depth play on D. With our TE room, I don’t think that playing him on both sides would be a determinate 

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

It really isn't that complicated, if you take his skill set he is average for a tight end in college.  He is short for the position and does not have elite speed which translates to no NFL.  However that skill set when put with other 300 pound defensive lineman is elite, I mean Bobo acknowledges as much in the article.  Also, he was not a top 10 TE nationally, he wasn't even listed as a TE in the composite, he was listed as an athlete, because for all the obvious reasons we have talked about.

I really don't know why this bothers you so much.  College coaches use players that is best for the program over what is best for their chances at the NFL and the reasons very from the players want to play that position or the coaches convince them to play that position.   Do you think there was a single coach on the Auburn staff that thought Nick Marshall would be an NFL quarterback???   DO you think that there was a single defensive coach that wasn't salivating to have the chance to have Nick on the defensive side of the ball???  

Based on what people think on this topic (and your own post above) , NM wouldn’t have played QB, he would’ve played DB, because he has a skill set that matched that much more than QB. That is mcloofus point. He has a unique skill set that can make him successful at the offensive end. No different than when Gus Malzahn used NM skill set to create a very unorthodox successful offense. If his skill set was better used at defense at the moment , and don’t you think this would be the perfect time to move him over ? 

Also, I think you need to re-read that article for the full encompass opinion. He acknowledged that he has faced athletic defensive linemen, who could potentially move to the offensive side of the ball. That is what JJ represents. In no way is he reinforcing JJ go to the defensive line , rather this is the type of size guy with athletic ability , who never had the opportunity to be on this side of the ball. 

10 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I admit, when I saw him single-handedly dismantle my WC Vikings in the playoffs 2 years ago, I was really excited to see him play DT at AU.  At that time, I thought his size and skill set would project better at DL. After seeing him in an AU uniform and a 2nd coaching staff thinking he will help the team more on offense, I have changed my mind.  He can be a very versatile and effective piece on offense and I am really looking forward to watching what he can do the next 2-3 years!!!!

I'd like to hear more! I've been looking for info on his contributions on the DL in high school, but all I've read is "he even played DE in certain packages". I'm fully prepared to eat crow if there's an established skill set there that I've been unable to unearth. 

12 hours ago, auburnphan said:

It really isn't that complicated

Agreed.

if you take his skill set he is average for a tight end in college.  

So I keep hearing that, but I don't understand how fans know this. What have you seen or read that confirms what his skill set is? Honest question.

He is short for the position

So are Russell Wilson and Aaron Donald.

and does not have elite speed which translates to no NFL.  

Okay, so we have one legit ding here, which has nothing to do with whether or not he's an NFL DL or OL, either.

However that skill set when put with other 300 pound defensive lineman is elite

Again, how do you know what his skill set is? You do realize that DLs have their own skill sets, too, right? Do you know if Pegues has the upper body strength and arm length to keep an OT's hands off him? Does he understand leverage? Just generally, can you be much more specific about his skill set? For example, here's Derrick Brown's draft profile from WalterFootball.com. Can you provide an equivalent for Pegues?

Strengths:

Monster at the point of attack

Violent defender who overwhelms physically

Very physical

Extremely strong

Strength to work off blocks

Quickly able to shed blocks

Heavy hands

Uses hands and feet at the same time

Tosses blockers to the side

Can make one-armed tackles

Puts ball-carriers and quarterbacks down with pain

Powerful bull rush

Can fire by blockers with speed

Can set the edge

Good lateral anchor

Plays with good leverage

Quick out of his stance

Rare speed for a defender his size

Closing speed

Fast in the short area

Good vision

Ability to redirect

Gives a second effort

Very versatile on the line

Can fit as a five-technique or nose tackle in a 3-4

Could play three-technique or nose tackle in a 4-3

That's what a skill set is. How does Pegues match up? Feel free to pick a 3-4 DE instead of Brown.

However that skill set when put with other 300 pound defensive lineman is elite, I mean Bobo acknowledges as much in the article.

It can be read that way. It can also be read that Bobo has seen 300 lb guys who were talked about as having offensive skill athleticism, but Pegues actually does. Which is clearly the case according to his high school staff, Malzahn and his staff, and now Harsin and his staff. Unless they end up moving him, which is possible. Doesn't seem likely, though.

Also, he was not a top 10 TE nationally, he wasn't even listed as a TE in the composite, he was listed as an athlete, because for all the obvious reasons we have talked about.

He was listed as a TE in many places. The reason he was listed as an athlete is because of his versatility as a ball carrier, pass catcher and blocker. I'm starting to wonder how much you know about him other than his metrics.

I really don't know why this bothers you so much.

I know I'm a little too aggro about it. But what bothers me is that people are saying this kid isn't good enough to be what he is, but that he's good enough to just swoop in and take the jobs of guys who have been working at what they do for years when he hasn't done it at all. It's insulting to both. Worse, it's based mostly on ignorance. At least until somebody actually produces a comprehensive review of his "skill set". So far, nobody has come close. But what I do know is that Nick Saban sat on this kid's couch in his home and offered him as a tight end:

Nick Saban’s staff made a strong late push when it became clear they were going to be on the outside looking in for 5* Darnell Washington. 

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that?

College coaches use players that is best for the program over what is best for their chances at the NFL and the reasons very from the players want to play that position or the coaches convince them to play that position.   Do you think there was a single coach on the Auburn staff that thought Nick Marshall would be an NFL quarterback???   DO you think that there was a single defensive coach that wasn't salivating to have the chance to have Nick on the defensive side of the ball???  

You're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking is, "Which Auburn coaches (or players) got on that plane to Pasadena wishing Nick Marshall was a DB and somebody else was QB?" Or maybe you should ask, "Should Urban Meyer have played Tim Tebow at fullback, tight end or linebacker?" Since that's where he projected in the NFL. 

And let me highlight this again:

College coaches use players that is best for the program over what is best for their chances at the NFL and the reasons very from the players want to play that position

I mean, if those two things align, then for the life of me I REALLY can't understand why this is still a conversation.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Based on what people think on this topic (and your own post above) , NM wouldn’t have played QB, he would’ve played DB, because he has a skill set that matched that much more than QB. That is mcloofus point. He has a unique skill set that can make him successful at the offensive end. No different than when Gus Malzahn used NM skill set to create a very unorthodox successful offense. If his skill set was better used at defense at the moment , and don’t you think this would be the perfect time to move him over ? 

Also, I think you need to re-read that article for the full encompass opinion. He acknowledged that he has faced athletic defensive linemen, who could potentially move to the offensive side of the ball. That is what JJ represents. In no way is he reinforcing JJ go to the defensive line , rather this is the type of size guy with athletic ability , who never had the opportunity to be on this side of the ball. 

You are missing my point completely, which is very odd for you.  Nick came to Auburn because he wanted to play qb and that is where he played.  JJ came to Auburn because he wanted to play offense and that is where he plays.  This idea that the coaches would move him because they know what is best for him is not how it works.  He may not have the desire to play defense or go to the NFL, who really knows.  In this day and age an athlete is asked if he wants to change positions, they are not told at schools like Auburn.  So he could have been asked to move and we don't know.  Auburn has always let players play where they want.  Khris Frost, Reed, Therenzie and on and on.  Nick and JJ worked their way up the depth charts and earned their playing time and stayed where they wanted to play.  Others find out that maybe coaches do know what is best but they have to learn that for themselves and not be forced by the coach.  Again, it is the experience that the player wants to have that is executed not the path they should have taken to get to the NFL at schools like Auburn.  Just like if Tennison wanted to play RB, he would be playing RB right now and probably be Tank's back up.

Also, at no point did I imply that Bobo said that he should move to the defensive line, not sure where you got that from.  He just re-affirmed that he has elite athletic ability when put in with a group of defensive lineman.  Which is so damn obvious I don't understand how anyone can not understand that.

Not one person has said he can't play tight end or be a h-back, yet that seems to be the attack against anyone who says he could be elite at d-tackle.  That is the part that I don't get.  Not one person is hoping he fails.

S**t, when Tega was signed I said he will be an offensive tackle with his size and skill set and most on here, other than Bird and a couple others, told me how stupid I am for thinking the next Javon Kearse was going to be an offensive tackle.  The staff knows what they are doing, blah, blah, blah.  After red-shirt year he agrees to move to offensive line.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Auburn has always let players play where they want.  Khris Frost,

Frost wanted to play WR out of high school. The statement really should be :”Auburn *under Gus Malzahn* tended to let players play where they wanted at times rather than where their skill set would  be best utilized”. Also, sometimes  promises are made in recruiting and reality takes over once the player is on campus

And, to add to that, unfortunately Frost played LB like a WR

He just re-affirmed that he has elite athletic ability when put in with a group of defensive lineman.  Which is so damn obvious I don't understand how anyone can not understand that.

Everyone understands that, lol. But you are interpreting that it means he would be an elite DL, where others of us are interpreting that it means he's got TE athleticism in a DL frame. What's missing from Bobo's quote that you seem to be reading into it is that Pegues can also do all the other things that the other DLs can do.

Not one person has said he can't play tight end or be a h-back

Several people have said that. Not sure any of them have said so in this thread, but I've heard people literally say "Please don't ever throw the ball to Pegues again". 

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

the attack against anyone who says he could be elite at d-tackle

That opinion is fine, but is it an attack to ask for some analysis that backs that opinion up?

Also, like you said about folks not saying that he can't play TE/H, I don't know if anyone's even disagreeing with you that he could be an elite DL. What I and I think some others take issue with is folks saying that he should move to DL, when nobody has really provided any real analysis suggesting that he'd be particularly good at it. Being light on your feet at 300 lbs is a fraction of what it takes to be an NFL DL, as I previously showed with the draft grade on DB. Meanwhile, this guy has shown that he has what it takes to be a weapon on offense. 

Honestly, this feels very similar to every conversation there's ever been on this board about a guy with non-traditional metrics for his position. The most glaring example was Tre Mason. I also remember folks ready to jump off a bridge because the tiny white kid was catching passes. Worm has a chance this season to add his name to the list, although he's already shown he brings more violence to the position than any AU RB since Kenny Irons. There'll be another one next season or the next. (Maybe it will be too-short Dee Davis.) And I'll probably say a lot of this stuff again. At some point folks just have to support these players chasing their dreams and helping us win games in the process. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

This idea that the coaches would move him because they know what is best for him is not how it works.

Not a single person arguing with you has said that 

So he could have been asked to move and we don't know.

Again not a single person is arguing that, although I highly doubt this was the case with the staff we have at hand 

Also, at no point did I imply that Bobo said that he should move to the defensive line, not sure where you got that from.  He just re-affirmed that he has elite athletic ability when put in with a group of defensive lineman.  Which is so damn obvious I don't understand how anyone can not understand that

Again you are speaking a half truth comment. Your opinion is that he can be an elite defensive line player and it ends there. Where I gathered from Bobo was that JJ looks like athletic defensive line players that he coached against who he believed could and should’ve had opportunities to play on the offensive side of the ball. Why don’t you ever mention that ? Why are you so on this narrative of him being a defensive line player when the coaches seem to only be using him on the offensive ball? Going as much as saying we need to get him in shape. If there was any inclining of him moving to the other side of the ball, I doubt they would be trying to get him to cut weight. Giannis has the frame of a stretch 4, but he is not and no one is pushing that narrative. Don’t know why people are trying to push a narrative with JJ.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, McLoofus said:

If he sees the field, then it will be because he is playing at the correct position and not because he just preferred it. 

I watched the kid play last season. He's a tremendous blocker and a playmaker. He's not big enough to play the nose in a 3-4, and he may or may not have the frame and skills to play DE. We have defensive linemen who are plenty skilled in that trade. I'm not sure why this is a thing with the fans. But then again, Auburn fans do like to crap on absolute gifts given us by the football gods while they're here and then pretend they loved them later on. (I myself was guilty of that with Nick Marshall and I'm trying to make sure I never make that mistake again.)

It is VERY odd how we automatically assume that a guy, who has been a weapon on offense, is just for some reason FAR better on D, bc of their build

Don’t be shocked if he plays D

So far, Pegues has been practicing with both the offense and the special teams, but Harsin could see him playing defense, too. “

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/03/auburn-staff-looking-to-maximize-use-of-jj-pegues-a-true-athletic-big-man.html

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Don’t be shocked if he plays D

So far, Pegues has been practicing with both the offense and the special teams, but Harsin could see him playing defense, too. “

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/03/auburn-staff-looking-to-maximize-use-of-jj-pegues-a-true-athletic-big-man.html

With Wright going down, depth situation might be different now.

But I wonder if he would project as a tackle or an edge guy in jumbo packages. He's a little short compared to most DEs and he's lighter than most tackles. He could probably pack on 25 lbs but that probably eliminates anything but blocking in goal line packages on offense.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But I wonder if he would project as a tackle or an edge guy in jumbo packages. He's a little short compared to most DEs and he's lighter than most tackles. He could probably pack on 25 lbs but that probably eliminates anything but blocking in goal line packages on offense.

I suspect it’s intriguing to see what he can do. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him on both O and D in certain situations. Unusual skills package.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Whatever Nick Fairley did is what he needs to do.

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It is VERY odd how we automatically assume that a guy, who has been a weapon on offense, is just for some reason FAR better on D, bc of their build

I wouldn't call JJ a weapon yet. Impressive specimen that has a lot of potential. But just a very underutilized freshman last year. 

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Coach may find that out. It’s hardly just his build— quickness, speed and athleticism could translate into a beast contributing more consistently on the DL than TE, especially given the comparative depth. But he may lack the mindset of  a DL— although seeing how much he enjoys knocking guys on their butts as a blocker, I doubt it. But I’m assuming nothing— just curious. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I wouldn't call JJ a weapon yet. Impressive specimen that has a lot of potential. But just a very underutilized freshman last year. 

He’s an elite blocker that can lineup in the slot, FB, OL and out wide. Not even can, has! If he never catches another pass, his floor is a more versatile Prosch

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Coach may find that out. It’s hardly just his build— quickness, speed and athleticism could translate into a beast contributing more consistently on the DL than TE, especially given the comparative depth. But he may lack the mindset of  a DL— although seeing how much he enjoys knocking guys on their butts as a blocker, I doubt it. But I’m assuming nothing— just curious. 

That’s fair, but we’ve had plenty of star guys that could play both sides (had that type of athleticism), but were mainly defensive line guys their entire lives that didn’t show SEC level play. 

Depth, okay. Attributes, okay. But there’s no tape to say he’s a defensive guy. He has a full season, and a soon to be full offseason of offensive development and looks like one of our ~20 best players on that side. I just think it’s time for some fans to stop vehemently wishing for that positional change 

32 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s fair, but we’ve had plenty of star guys that could play both sides (had that type of athleticism), but were mainly defensive line guys their entire lives that didn’t show SEC level play. 

Depth, okay. Attributes, okay. But there’s no tape to say he’s a defensive guy. He has a full season, and a soon to be full offseason of offensive development and looks like one of our ~20 best players on that side. I just think it’s time for some fans to stop vehemently wishing for that positional change 

I’m not wishing for anything. If the coaches see something and try him there, they’ll decide. But there’s probably some tape. In high school he sealed his team’s title on D

Pegues did play both sides of the ball and made a title-clinching sack his senior season.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

A lot more hype than stats at this point but I’m hoping he hangs and becomes a valuable part of the offense or defense (where ever he/they decide he should play) not just novelty.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He’s an elite blocker that can lineup in the slot, FB, OL and out wide. Not even can, has! If he never catches another pass, his floor is a more versatile Prosch

Bro Jay Prosch was one of the best fullbacks at the college level I've ever seen. Arguably the last true fullback to play the game. JJ isn't anywhere close to him rn. No disrespect to JJ.

Archived