Vaccine passport on the way?

SLAG-91

On 4/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, TitanTiger said:

Probably.

And this is where Trump's behavior really hurts us.  If Biden were following any other GOP President in office, a PSA like this would likely be a no brainer.  If this had happened during Obama's presidency, I have zero doubt we'd see Bush doing this with him.  And if it'd been Bush, there'd be something like this with him and Bill Clinton.  Trump has made himself so uniquely repellant though, all the risk (which is not insignificant) for such a move is on Biden.

But the repellent comes from the left only.   It doesn’t matter anyway, Biden or his handlers would never allow it.   They truly despise the guy.   In their eyes and half of the country, trump never did one thing right.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

But the repellent comes from the left only.   It doesn’t matter anyway, Biden or his handlers would never allow it.   They truly despise the guy.   In their eyes and half of the country, trump never did one thing right.   

No, the repellent part comes from Trump himself. No other GOP president would be an issue. 

• Like 4

On 4/3/2021 at 12:46 PM, SaltyTiger said:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/oct/08/ask-politifact-are-you-sure-donald-trump-didnt-cal/

Factcheck.org: "Trump did use the word ‘hoax’ but his full comments, and subsequent explanation, make clear he was talking about Democratic attacks on his administration’s handling of the outbreak, not the virus itself."

The Washington Post Fact Checker: "The context of the full quote shows Trump criticized Democratic talking points and media’s coverage of his response to the coronavirus, but does not call the virus itself a hoax."

Snopes: "Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus a hoax."

AP Fact Check: "The accusation is misleading. So is the selective video editing that made it appear Trump was calling the coronavirus a ‘new hoax.’"

I'll go with my quote and interpretation, along with his documented history of statements on the pandemic. The immediate context of what he said before the word "hoax" is what is most relevant.   I will concede that may not have been his intent, and it could interpreted ambiguously, but then he is pretty much incapable of stringing together two consecutive complete sentences.

If you want to present the full record to convince me otherwise, have at it.

Edited by homersapien

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

No, the repellent part comes from Trump himself. No other GOP president would be an issue. 

MAGAs continue to see Trump as normal.  He's not.  He has severe and multiple personality/psychological pathologies.  Far worse than Nixon (for example).

Edited by homersapien

On 4/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I knew she would walk her statement back:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has walked back the claim made by its director that vaccinated people don’t carry the coronavirus.

CDC chief Rochelle Walensky said earlier this week that “vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don’t get sick.”

But the health agency clarified the statement Thursday,  saying “the evidence isn’t clear” and that Walensky was “speaking broadly.”

“It’s possible that some people who are fully vaccinated could get COVID-19,” a CDC spokesperson told the New York Times. “The evidence isn’t clear whether they can spread the virus to others. We are continuing to evaluate the evidence.”

Dr. Peter Bach, director of the Center for Health Policy and Outcomes at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, said confusion about bulletproof immunity could lead to Americans refusing to wear a mask after getting the jabs.

“This opens the door to the skeptics who think the government is sugarcoating the science,” Bach told the paper.

On Monday, Walensky told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow: “Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don’t get sick.”

“And that it’s not just in the clinical trials, it’s also in real-world data,” she added.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/cdc-walks-back-claim-that-vaccinated-people-cant-carry-covid/

ETA:  This is the 2nd time she has had to walk one of her statements back, the other being about vaccinated teachers not needing the vaccine to teach school.

Is the CDC following the science or being political?  Is the CDC promoting another *noble lie* to *save* the nation.  Does Walensky have permission to speak her mind or is she being undercut by her colleagues?  I don’t think she can keep this up and still be the director for very long.

Confusing times in the US right now.  Stay safe.

Vaccinated people who had been previously infected prior to vaccination?

Vaccinated people who were never infected?

Infected with new variants or old variants.?

And if the evidence isn't clear, then it's not clear.  Without definitive data there's a lot of guessing going on, even by the experts.

IMO, the real danger is the creation of different variants which is - again IMO - is more likely with large numbers of new cases. This is why vaccination rate is so important.

But then - like everyone else posting here - I am not an epidemiologist nor a virologist.

5 hours ago, Grumps said:

"Now, the Democrats are politicising the coronavirus this is their new hoax."

Applying the rules of the English language that I was taught to the sentence you shared, this is clearly referring to the politicization of the coronavirus by the democrats as being the hoax. We obviously learned the rules of written English differently.

It's okay for you to feel that he meant something different. It's just not how some of us interpret things.

No "hoax" is not "clearly" referring to Democrats politicizing.  That's an interpretation of someone looking for a way to justify what Trump said.

And how could their "politicization" be hoax when the problem is real?

Give me a specific example of how the Democrats were "politicizing" the pandemic and exactly how that constituted a "hoax".   Like "fake news", "hoax" became a go-to word for Trump to discredit opposing views.  If they were politicizing the pandemic, all he needed to say is Democrats are politicizing it.

Trump couldn't just leave it at that, he had to not it up, because he's Trump.  By doing so, he left himself wide open to calling the pandemic a hoax, especially when one considers his myriad made prior on the virus as well as other subjects, like global warming.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 4:53 PM, homersapien said:

If you want to present the full record to convince me otherwise, have at it.

Have no need or desire to convince you of anything. My initial post was a response to @CoffeeTiger which is simply not true. You have admitted that Trump never called the virus a “hoax”. Let it go Brother Homer.

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Have no need or desire to convince you of anything. My initial post was a response to @CoffeeTiger which is simply not true. You have admitted that Trump never called the virus a “hoax”. Let it go Brother Homer.

You are making a pedantic argument that essentially creates a distinction without a difference:

President Donald Trump said Friday that Democrats are using the virulent coronavirus as a “hoax” to damage him and his administration.

“The Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus,” he said from a campaign rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

“One of my people came up to me and said ‘Mr. President they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well.’ They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax that was on a perfect conversation,” he continued."

That's close enough for me, but I understand why it's not for you.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:12 PM, homersapien said:

Vaccinated people who had been previously infected prior to vaccination?

Vaccinated people who were never infected?

Infected with new variants or old variants.?

And if the evidence isn't clear, then it's not clear.  Without definitive data there's a lot of guessing going on, even by the experts.

IMO, the real danger is the creation of different variants which is - again IMO - is more likely with large numbers of new cases. This is why vaccination rate is so important.

But then - like everyone else posting here - I am not an epidemiologist nor a virologist.

Americans look to the CDC for guidance, the CDC director came out with a blanket statement, if there were quesitons about who she was talking about they should have been answered before making the statement.

If the evidence isn’t clear as to any of your questions, how is the general public confident in the vaccine?  Fauci has spread the fear about *variants* and has no evidence that the variant is any worse than the original and how the vaccine does against these variants.  So he wants Americans to live in fear until they figure it out.

I’m with Rand Paul on this one.  If there is any evidence that the variants are causing new infections among vaccinated people, then is the time to corral our mouths again.  It’s been months since the appearance of these new variants, show the data or take the mask off.  I, personally, don’t like living in fear.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Get the damn vaccine and stop being a pain in the ass.

The only people promoting vaccine hesitancy is Fauci and the CDC.  If younger Americans get the vaccine and still have to wear a mask, why get it.  I know he answer, but Americans will always ask what’s in it for me

The hesitancy started during the debates when VP Harris was unsure if she would get a vaccine that was developed under Trump’s Administration. This has a tendency to undermine good common sense.

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

The only people promoting vaccine hesitancy is Fauci and the CDC.  If younger Americans get the vaccine and still have to wear a mask, why get it.  I know he answer, but Americans will always ask what’s in it for me

The hesitancy started during the debates when VP Harris was unsure if she would get a vaccine that was developed under Trump’s Administration. This has a tendency to undermine good common sense.

LOL.  Sure it did.  Funny thing is that the only people I have heard spouting nonsense are the same people that have questioned whether or not the vaccine contains aborted babies or is some kind of government tracking device and other nonsensical bull.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

LOL.  Sure it did.  Funny thing is that the only people I have heard spouting nonsense are the same people that have questioned whether or not the vaccine contains aborted babies or is some kind of government tracking device and other nonsensical bull.

You really should expand your information base.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

The reason for the mask is so that others, who cannot get vaccinated, remain at ease. Tucker Carlson had a very informative interview with DR. HOOMAN NOORCHASHM. I highly recommend it.

Why tearing down Fauci is essential to the MAGA myth

Opinion by
Columnist
April 5, 2021 at 4:35 p.m. EDT

MAGA political philosophy is not systematic, but it is comprehensive. Right-wing populism offers a distorted lens to view nearly all of life.

Through this warped lens, progress toward equal rights is actually the oppression of White people. Free and fair elections, when lost, are actually conspiratorial plots by the ruthless left. But perhaps the most remarkable distortion concerns the MAGA view of covid-19.

We have all seen the basic outlines of pandemic reality. Experts in epidemiology warned that the disease would spread through contact or droplets at short distances, which is how it spread. The experts recommended early lockdowns to keep health systems from being overwhelmed, and the lockdowns generally worked. The experts said Americans could influence the spread of the disease by taking basic measures such as mask-wearing and social distancing. The disease was controlled when people did these things. The disease ran rampant when they did not, killing a lot of old and vulnerable people in the process.

There were, of course, disagreements along the way about the length of lockdowns and the form of mandates. But on the whole, American citizens have witnessed one of the most dramatic vindications of scientific expertise in our history. We have been healthier when we listened to the experts and sicker when we did not.

This is the context in which the MAGA right has chosen to make Anthony S. Fauci — the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984 — the villain in their hallucinogenic version of pandemic history.

It is worth disclosing when a columnist has a personal connection to a public figure. I have known Fauci since I was in government during the early 2000s and watched him help create the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. He is the best of public service: supremely knowledgeable, personally compassionate, completely nonpolitical, tenacious in the pursuit of scientific advancement and resolute in applying such knowledge to human betterment. He has no other ambition or agenda than the health of the country and world.

Yet slamming Fauci was a surefire applause line at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February. Former Trump administration officials continue to target him. Republican members of Congress vie with one another to put Fauci in his place.

For Trump officials, including Donald Trump himself, this makes perfect sense. If Fauci has been right about covid, then playing down the disease, mocking masks, modeling superspreader events, denying death tolls, encouraging anti-mandate militias and recommending quack cures were not particularly helpful. If Fauci has been right, they presided over a deadly debacle.

When former Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro claims that Fauci is “the father of the actual virus” or former chief of staff Mark Meadows complains about Fauci’s indifference to the (nearly nonexistent) flow of covid across the southern border, the goal is not really to press arguments. It is to create an alternative MAGA reality in which followers are free from the stress of truth — a safe space in which more than half a million people did not die and their leader was not a vicious, incompetent, delusional threat to the health of the nation.

Metaphorically (but only barely metaphorically), there is a body on the floor with multiple stab wounds. The Trump administration stands beside it with a bloody knife in its hand. It not only claims to be innocent. It claims there is no blood. There is no body. There is no floor.

Congressional Republicans who criticize Fauci to prove their populist manhood are even more pathetic. Their self-abasement is voluntary. Watching Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) debate science with Fauci during committee hearings is like watching Albert Einstein being disputed by his dry cleaner. Fauci is often reduced to making obvious points in a patient voice. Fauci deserves his Presidential Medal of Freedom just for his heroic forbearance.

All these critics of Fauci have chosen to attack the citadel of science at its strongest point. With squirt guns. While naked and blowing kazoos.

This useless exertion is somehow wrapped in the language of freedom. Freedom from the servitude of a piece of cloth on your face that might save your neighbor’s life. Freedom to light off fireworks below a potential avalanche. Freedom to store uranium in your backyard. Freedom to set fire to a crowded theater.

Here is the reality of covid. It is not an easy thing to persuade hundreds of millions of people who feel perfectly healthy to wear masks, socially distance and get a vaccine injected into their arms. Fauci is dedicated to these goals. Anyone who purposely undermines them is a danger to the health and safety of their fellow citizens.

Fauci is practicing epidemiology. His critics are practicing idiocy. Both are very good at their chosen work.

• Facepalm 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, homersapien said:

You are making a pedantic argument

Not making any type of argument. That would be you. I simply pointed out the facts.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, SLAG-91 said:

HIPAA, for one. My medical information is no one else's business except my doctor and any designees that I state. I don't care if it's depression, vaccination status or an oozing carbuncle. 

Also, if someone has had Covid already, especially a severe case, why get vaccinated right now? The natural antibodies demographic would rightly have a beef.

I know that if I'd already had a rip-roaring case of Covid, I'd be skipping the vaccine.

The vaccine is now available to any adult in the state of Texas who wants to get it, and I imagine this will be the case in other states sooner rather than later. At that point, when it's a matter of "won't" vs. "can't", restrictions/mandates should be gone...if some of you want to continue wearing masks, there is not a damn thing stopping you. Go right ahead. It's like paying more taxes...Uncle Sam gets enough of my money already. If you want to pay more, there's nothing stopping you.

Tangent over.

Bottom line, my vaccination status is on a need to know basis, and the government isn't on my invitation list.

If an airline or other country insists on one for travel/entry, that’s not our government and you don’t have to go.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

If an airline or other country insists on one for travel/entry, that’s not our government and you don’t have to go.

Another country can do whatever they want, and a country that requires one will be one I don't visit. I'm not really a world traveler, anyway, so it's a moot point. 

Any domestic airline that opts to make that a requirement is one I won't be using. I have no issues with driving if necessary.

If it happens, I won't like it, but I'll find other ways to get to where I need to go.

38 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Another country can do whatever they want, and a country that requires one will be one I don't visit. I'm not really a world traveler, anyway, so it's a moot point. 

Any domestic airline that opts to make that a requirement is one I won't be using. I have no issues with driving if necessary.

If it happens, I won't like it, but I'll find other ways to get to where I need to go.

I don’t see airlines really being able to enforce a vaccine requirement and not lose substantial revenue, speaking domestically anyways. 

Also don’t know how it would even work here in the states with HIPPA laws. I could see it ending up in court. 

8 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I don’t see airlines really being able to enforce a vaccine requirement and not lose substantial revenue, speaking domestically anyways. 

Also don’t know how it would even work here in the states with HIPPA laws. I could see it ending up in court. 

Yeah, I think this would be a losing proposition for them, and they are already hurting from the decline in travel over the last year. I'd be surprised to see any airlines push real hard for this.

Vaccines that, while ostensibly safe, are still only under an EUA are ripe for the legal pickings as well in terms of mandating them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Not so sure. Many folks may be more apt to use it. 

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not so sure. Many folks may be more apt to use it. 

There’s a lot of people that still don’t even want to wear a mask on a plane, much less a vaccine people are skeptical of the long term effects of. 

Looks like the White House is rejecting the idea of a vaccine passport for now. With most things Biden says I’m sure he’ll change his mind and do the opposite of what he says. 😂

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

There’s a lot of people that still don’t even want to wear a mask on a plane, much less a vaccine people are skeptical of the long term effects of. 

Looks like the White House is rejecting the idea of a vaccine passport for now. With most things Biden says I’m sure he’ll change his mind and do the opposite of what he says. 😂

I don’t see it being a US federal government thing. I would choose an airline that required proof of vaccines and made masks optional.

Along with your entire medical history and everything else they find out you and your family/geneology. Then they'll check out you FB page to be sure you are behaving yourself and towing the narrative. Only then will you qualify to receive Chinese credits and new dollars. They can cut you off altogether if they wish.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/fed-chair-jerome-powell-on-a-u-s-digital-dollar-its-possible/

https://news.mit.edu/2019/storing-vaccine-history-skin-1218

I believe most of you are smart enough to figure out where this is going.

Luciferase/Luciferin

The researchers designed the new nanoparticles to self-assemble from a mixture that includes lipids — which form the particles’ outer shells — plus a mixture of ribosomes, amino acids and the enzymes needed for protein synthesis. Also included in the mixture are DNA sequences for the desired proteins.

The DNA is trapped by a chemical compound called DMNPE, which reversibly binds to it. This compound releases the DNA when exposed to ultraviolet light.

“You want to be able to trigger it so the system turns on only when you want it to work,” Schroeder says. “When the particles are hit by light, the DNA is released from a caging compound and then can enter the cycle of producing the protein.”

Programmable factories

In this study, particles were programmed to produce either green fluorescent protein (GFP) or luciferase, both of which are easily detected. Tests in mice showed that the particles were successfully prompted to produce protein when UV light shone on them.

https://news.mit.edu/2012/protein-factories-nanoparticles-0409

I know some of you can read.

https://news.mit.edu/search?keyword=luciferase&publication_date[min]=&publication_date[max]=

https://news.mit.edu/2019/inhalable-messenger-rna-lung-disease-0104

https://news.mit.edu/2017/bio-inspired-approach-rna-delivery-0920

https://news.mit.edu/2012/rna-interference-lightweight-nanoparticle-0604

https://patents.justia.com/patent/10898574

Edited by Bottomfeeder