Vaccine passport on the way?

SLAG-91

16 hours ago, AUDub said:

So we gonna go full "whataboutism" on Polio now?

What are you talking about?  As a kid my classmates and I had to hide under the desks to (supposedly) save ourself in the event if a nuclear attack.  This had nothing to do with the Polio vaccinejust a comment about how the public can be manipulated into thinking just about anything if there is a sense of fear.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't ban people for something so trivial, especially when I took the first shot.  Simmer down, Betty.

But regardless, I still don't care what GOP governors think.  I'm not really sure many of them actually do think anymore.  The sycophantic pandering to all things Trump disabused me of any notion that they are people whose opinions I should think deeply about.

I assume you meant the "vaccine" is experimental.  Perhaps you could enlighten us on how the development of this one skipped critical steps normal vaccines have to go through.

I mean, I'm glad you personally got the vaccine so it's irrelevant for you.  But all the selfish a**holes listening to Dr. Youtube and Nurse Facebook, refusing the vaccine and spreading bull**** about it are sorry people.

Dr. Youtube and Nurse Facebook have 34,764 likes.... what other credentials could someone need? LMAO

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

What are you talking about?  

Because I was talking about Polio and you're dismissing something that was very real and very threatening by comparing it to "duck and cover" drills and the like.

Speaking of which...

As a kid my classmates and I had to hide under the desks to (supposedly) save ourself in the event if a nuclear attack.  This had nothing to do with the Polio vaccinejust a comment about how the public can be manipulated into thinking just about anything if there is a sense of fear.

Yes I know what duck and cover is.

Don't be so flippant. It wasn't about manipulation. Everyone was on edge. We came quite close to nuclear war on multiple occasions. In two of those the actions of two individuals literally prevented nuclear strikes.

Vasily Arkhipov was the lone man of the 3 senior officers needed aboard a nuclear armed sub to approve firing a nuclear torpedo that refused.

Stanislav Petrov luckily deduced that the Soviet DEWS was suffering a malfunction and did not pass a report of incoming ICBMs up the chain of command during a period when Soviet policy was Launch on Warning. 

I liken those old to drills to modern day tornado and fire drills. Sure the probabilities of a tornado hitting a particular school are low but practicing them is a good policy.

To be fair, in Petrov's era nuclear weapons were measured in megatons rather than kilotons, and no amount of cover would protect you if you were nearby.  

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

So explain to me why anti-vaxxers get to be skeptical make a choice that doesn't just affect them but others adversely, but business owners don't get to make a choice to protect themselves or their employees.  Why should the personal choices of people who won't think of anyone else get to overrule the choices of those who will?

OK, I'll give you this example, and I think I've cited it before here, but with recent late night wine indulgences, I can't be sure.

I know a young couple who recently had a child.  The father has a doctorate in Agriculture from Mississippi State, and the mother was director of business operations in the Agriculture Department there.  Just trying to establish that they are not stupid people...

So back in January, the mother contracted COVID.  Her overall symptoms were less than a mild head cold.  And her husband never got it.  And their infant son never got it, even though he was breast feeding the whole time.

So please tell me, why should this young family feel compelled to take the vaccine, which still has an "experimental stamp" on it?

Business owners have always had to feel the pulse of their customers.  And if the feel for the vaccine is "screw it or I'm going elsewhere", then businesses should brace for that.

The most important concept of this discussion is this: the freaking CDC has said that vaccinated people pose no threat to the unvaccinated.  So why should vaccinated people feel threatened?

Yes, I understand the concept of autoimmune syndrome, where some people are at risk even though they have taken the vaccine.  But that is also true of the flu vaccine.

• Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

OK, I'll give you this example, and I think I've cited it before here, but with recent late night wine indulgences, I can't be sure.

I know a young couple who recently had a child.  The father has a doctorate in Agriculture from Mississippi State, and the mother was director of business operations in the Agriculture Department there.  Just trying to establish that they are not stupid people...

So back in January, the mother contracted COVID.  Her overall symptoms were less than a mild head cold.  And her husband never got it.  And their infant son never got it, even though he was breast feeding the whole time.

So please tell me, why should this young family feel compelled to take the vaccine, which still has an "experimental stamp" on it?

Business owners have always had to feel the pulse of their customers.  And if the feel for the vaccine is "screw it or I'm going elsewhere", then businesses should brace for that.

But again, that should be a decision that the business owner gets to make.  If they're willing to accept the consequences of those that'll get pissed off about their requirements, then let them.  Customers don't have an inalienable right to patronize the specific restaurant they want under any and all circumstances.

The most important concept of this discussion is this: the freaking CDC has said that vaccinated people pose no threat to the unvaccinated.  So why should vaccinated people feel threatened?

I don't know why you keep saying this.  Literally no one has said a peep otherwise.  It's like you just enjoy the sound of the words together.

Yes, I understand the concept of autoimmune syndrome, where some people are at risk even though they have taken the vaccine.  But that is also true of the flu vaccine.

The flu is far less contagious than COVID and also far less deadly.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

But again, that should be a decision that the business owner gets to make.  If they're willing to accept the consequences of those that'll get pissed off about their requirements, then let them.  Customers don't have an inalienable right to patronize the specific restaurant they want under any and all circumstances.

I don't know why you keep saying this.  Literally no one has said a peep otherwise.  It's like you just enjoy the sound of the words together.

The flu is far less contagious than COVID and also far less deadly.

Not under any and all circumstances.  But refusal of service for refusal to take an experimental vaccine, when vaccinated people supposedly have nothing to worry about?  Businesses had better get ready to deal with a public that will not put up with that.

When the FDA formally approves the vaccine, I'd be more likely to agree with you.  Until then, I will respect the right of people to be skeptical.  In the end, I'm glad I took the vaccine.

5 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Not under any and all circumstances.  But refusal of service for refusal to take an experimental vaccine, when vaccinated people supposedly have nothing to worry about? 

Under current circumstances while we're still in the midst of a pandemic and well shy of herd immunity.

And for the love of God, if you say vaccinated people have nothing to worry about from unvaccinated people one more time, I'm giving you a time out just for being an annoying twit.  No one here - least of all me whom you are talking to - has argued otherwise.  Just stop.

Businesses had better get ready to deal with a public that will not put up with that.

Then let them make that decision.  They'll make a calculus on the reaction and live with the consequences.

When the FDA formally approves the vaccine, I'd be more likely to agree with you.  Until then, I will respect the right of people to be skeptical.  In the end, I'm glad I took the vaccine.

Let them be skeptical - and patronize businesses who don't have the requirement for now.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, I_M4_AU said:

What are you talking about?  As a kid my classmates and I had to hide under the desks to (supposedly) save ourself in the event if a nuclear attack.  This had nothing to do with the Polio vaccinejust a comment about how the public can be manipulated into thinking just about anything if there is a sense of fear.

Keep in mind that some things are worth fearing and reacting to.  Rational reactions to such risks don't require "manipulation", just critical thinking and common sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Keep in mind that some things are worth fearing and reacting to.  Rational reactions to such risks don't require "manipulation", just critical thinking and common sense.

I think it is easy in hindsight to look back at something like Polio and argue that the concern was overblown.  However, for those that lived and dealt with that disease, it was worthy of a every bit of urgency that surrounded the virus.  The disease overwhelmingly impacted children.  Someone's child goes to school one day and the next they are paralyzed.  Sanatoriums were opened to care for the children and rehabilitate them to the best degree possible.  Some died.  At its height, over 35,000 people a year were paralyzed due to the disease.

@MaxCohen216, if you wish to be an annoying, pedantic little jerk, do it somewhere else.  But stop cluttering up the thread by repeating this mantra that no one is debating.  

• Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

I havent read one word on this thread, but 13 pages on a nothing topic? Really?

Reminds me of the 101 threads by the SIERRA FOXTROTS declaring "What are we going to do? Trump is just not going to leave the WH and the military are all just going to allow it to happen" Bull s*** threads. If you ever thought that was going to happen you were born a SF, you are a SF, and you will die a SF. Sometimes, you just need to know that the topic is so ******* stupid you just dont need to waste a braincell nor a minute of your life on it.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here We got another taste of the "expert" advice that Republican's like to listen to:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/09/sherri-tenpenny-magnetized-vaccine-ohio/

Sherri Tenpenny, a Cleveland-based doctor invited as an expert witness Tuesday to a hearing in the Ohio House, had a grave warning for legislators about coronavirus vaccines.

The anti-vaccination advocate known for spreading unfounded claims falsely told legislators that the drugs could leave people “magnetized.”

“I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures all over the Internet of people who have had these shots and now they’re magnetized,” Tenpenny said. “They can put a key on their forehead. It sticks. They can put spoons and forks all over them and they can stick, because now we think that there’s a metal piece to that.”

Her baseless remarks — which also suggested that vaccines “interface” with 5G cellular towers — didn’t elicit strong pushback from legislators, who were listening to testimony in favor of a bill that would prevent businesses or the government from requiring proof of vaccination.

Instead, some GOP representatives thanked Tenpenny for testifying in front of the Ohio House Health Committee, with one praising a podcast she hosts as “enlightening in terms of thinking.”

“What an honor to have you here,” said Rep. Jennifer L. Gross (R), a nurse who co-sponsored the bill and in a previous meeting compared businesses that require vaccinations to the Holocaust.

4 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Here We got another taste of the "expert" advice that Republican's like to listen to:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/09/sherri-tenpenny-magnetized-vaccine-ohio/

Sherri Tenpenny, a Cleveland-based doctor invited as an expert witness Tuesday to a hearing in the Ohio House, had a grave warning for legislators about coronavirus vaccines.

The anti-vaccination advocate known for spreading unfounded claims falsely told legislators that the drugs could leave people “magnetized.”

“I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures all over the Internet of people who have had these shots and now they’re magnetized,” Tenpenny said. “They can put a key on their forehead. It sticks. They can put spoons and forks all over them and they can stick, because now we think that there’s a metal piece to that.”

Her baseless remarks — which also suggested that vaccines “interface” with 5G cellular towers — didn’t elicit strong pushback from legislators, who were listening to testimony in favor of a bill that would prevent businesses or the government from requiring proof of vaccination.

Instead, some GOP representatives thanked Tenpenny for testifying in front of the Ohio House Health Committee, with one praising a podcast she hosts as “enlightening in terms of thinking.”

“What an honor to have you here,” said Rep. Jennifer L. Gross (R), a nurse who co-sponsored the bill and in a previous meeting compared businesses that require vaccinations to the Holocaust.

Tenpenny......She is an absolute idiot.  I like not losing my keys and have vaccinations to thank.  LMAO.. kidding

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

Our best and brightest are not populating the halls of Congress in large numbers, for sure...that was just painful to read. :dead:

14 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Our best and brightest are not populating the halls of Congress in large numbers, for sure...that was just painful to read. :dead:

No doubt, remember the guy from GA (Hank Johnson) several years back worried that the extra troops might cause Guam to "tip over and capsize"?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

NC State eliminated from CWS by Covid protocols...wow.

Probably a good thing they didn't win with their shorthanded roster yesterday, because they would have had to forfeit the championship series, and the Texas-MSU winner would have been the national champions.

Because this is a family board, sorta, I'll stop talking now...🤐

• 1 month later...

Bump...

He says in a later Tweet.

The ID requirement is to help reduce fraud. Venues covered by the vax screening program are required to check ID for those 18+. .

"Reduce fraud," he says...hmmm.

So, apparently it's more important to ensure that New York City delis are more secure than NYC elections. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Bump...

The ID requirement is to help reduce fraud. Venues covered by the vax screening program are required to check ID for those 18+. .

So, apparently it's more important to ensure that New York City delis are more secure than NYC elections. 🙄

Was their widespread fraud in the last NYC election?

And what has that to do with the pandemic?  :dunno:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

Was their widespread fraud in the last NYC election?

And what has that to do with the pandemic?  :dunno:

Is there widespread fraud with vaccine IDs?

• Facepalm 1

It was more of a semi-waggish observation that someone needs more information on them to get a reuben at a NYC deli than they would to vote.

...and only 7 of the 10 voices in my head tell me I'm insane.😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

It was more of a semi-waggish observation that someone needs more information on them to get a reuben at a NYC deli than they would to vote.

...and only 7 of the 10 voices in my head tell me I'm insane.😏

Just learned what waggish means. Thanks.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:08 PM, SLAG-91 said:

Bump...

This is an obvious case of deli customer suppression.  😏

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Haha 2