Vaccine passport on the way?

SLAG-91

Dammit gotta go listen to Acidrap and Coloring Book again. Got the itch. 

• Love 1

A friend of mine from high school/college/church - who's been one of the most rabid anti-mask, "COVID is just the flu", "Plandemic" folks on my timeline (to the point where I had to finally just unfollow her to keep from losing it) has come down with COVID.  She wasn't in good health to begin with so this is not good.  Bonus points for her adamant refusal to get the vaccine  She's in the hospital now because of really low oxygen levels and breathing difficulties.  

Geez, people.  Get a clue on this.  There's not some grand conspiracy afoot to **** around with you and trick you into 'mind control' through mask wearing and vaccines.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

She's in the hospital now because of really low oxygen levels and breathing difficulties.

Israel is working on a COVID cure, you might want to advise her and/or her doctors to see if she can be part of a trial.

https://www.israel21c.org/has-israel-just-found-the-cure-for-covid/

I do wonder how all of this Covid unpleasantness has impacted family and friend relationships. It's been interesting to observe friends and co-workers as to their outlook on things in the last year.

I'll be completely candid and say that 95% of the reason I got the poke was to be able to visit family this summer, not because I am afraid of getting the Covid if I don't get the shot...mom is in an independent living facility and my sister is a walking recessive gene pool in regard to health...she gets nasty sick with stuff. Me, not so much. Plus, I just don't feel like arguing about it. Not worth it.

• Like 1

Some states scaling back vaccine orders due to lack of interest

Not a red/blue state thing, either.

Are only vaccinations being counted toward this moving target of herd immunity? The group that has had Covid already and is opting to not get vaccinated (which is a 100% defensible position) should absolutely be figured into the calculus. I'd be willing to bet that latter group isn't being counted. 

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Some states scaling back vaccine orders due to lack of interest

Not a red/blue state thing, either.

Are only vaccinations being counted toward this moving target of herd immunity? The group that has had Covid already and is opting to not get vaccinated (which is a 100% defensible position) should absolutely be figured into the calculus. I'd be willing to bet that latter group isn't being counted. 

I’ve had this conversation earlier in this thread and no the *science* (Fauci) is not including the ones with natural immunity in the calculations for herd immunity.  Another reason a vaccine passport is not the full story here.

The thought is the *science* can not determine how long natural immunity will last.

Okay, let's be clear.

As for anti-vaxxers, fine do your thing.

As for those of us who have been vaccinated, the same apples -- we do our own thing.

Cruise liners requiring Vax Proof -- that is THEIR right as a business. Your right to NOT get vaccinated is YOUR right.

For some reason,  right wing fanatics think it is OK for a bakery to refuse to serve a gay person, but it's NOT okay for a cruise ship to refuse to serve unvaccinated people.

• Like 1

Either being intentionally disingenuous, or the CDC head is just data-illiterate...

• Facepalm 1

I got vaxxed. Can't say the side effects were bad, but I did have a heaadache for about two weeks after the first dose. Other than that nothing. I believe in the vaccine because that's all we have. I hope it can stop the variants too.

"This conclusion suggests that vaccination-generated antibody and/or exogenous antibody against S protein not only protects the host from SARS-CoV-2 infectivity but also inhibits S protein-imposed endothelial injury."

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.121.318902

Well the CDC has acknowledged what most of the US has known for over two months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Was coming here to post the original CDC tweet...nice of the CDC to **allow** vaccinated folks to go maskless. 🙄

Hopefully our school board will revise its pending mask policy for the 21-22 school year.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, Bottomfeeder said:

I got vaxxed. Can't say the side effects were bad, but I did have a heaadache for about two weeks after the first dose. Other than that nothing. I believe in the vaccine because that's all we have. I hope it can stop the variants too.

Any chance you already had the antibody and didn't know it? I've heard that the vax can cause worse side effects in people that tested positive. Of course, I heard that from my diabetic friend who doesn't take care of himself and had a terrible time when he caught COVID. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Any chance you already had the antibody and didn't know it? I've heard that the vax can cause worse side effects in people that tested positive. Of course, I heard that from my diabetic friend who doesn't take care of himself and had a terrible time when he caught COVID. 

I haven't had Covid 19 and I really don't want to catch it. I do know some folks who chave had it and are waiting to take the vaccine once their antibodies drop to a safe level. I'm not sure they'll get the vaccine. One person's antibody levels are increasing, which is odd absent another exposure event.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of Derek as I find him wrong far too often. In fairness, I think he gets this one right.

"the CDC has been so slow to issue guidance in line with the research consensus on COVID-19 that it’s brought new meaning to the concept of “follow the science.” 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/cdc-guidelines-masks-vaccinated-indoors/618883/

Edited by AUFAN78

Having a policy of requiring a mask be worn was never intended to do anything other than provide extra protection and combat the spread of the virus.  There was really nothing valid to argue about.  Vaccines have already impacted the numbers in a positive way.  Imagine if we had done absolutely nothing............

• Like 2

My co-worker’s father now has a chest tube after having been on a ventilator for about a week. He’s also had dialysis done. Seems pretty grim. If he does make it, I can’t imagine what kind of recovery he will have to go through. 

• Sad 2

I had COVID back in January.  Comparatively speaking, my case was mild, but I still felt really bad, and my ability to exercise effectively was reduced for a long time due to impaired lung function.

My experience with COVID makes me laugh at deniers and anti-vaxxers.  I gladly accepted the vaccine when my turn came up because I sure don't want to get COVID again.

However, I do not like the idea of having to show a vaccine passport, and I've decided against it.  My medical records are between my doctor and myself.

• Facepalm 1

My buddy's wife refused to get the vaccine. Now she has covid and regrets not getting the vaccine. I was unable to muster any sympathy. 

23 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

However, I do not like the idea of having to show a vaccine passport, and I've decided against it.  My medical records are between my doctor and myself.

Distinct difference in my mind with “medical records” and a vaccination record.

With adult anti vaxers I would bet most have self exposed and indulged on much worse than offered in a vaccine. Hard to grasp the reasoning.

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Distinct difference in my mind with “medical records” and a vaccination record.

They seem the same to me.  If a penicillin shot is a "medical record", then it seems a vaccination is as well.

I don't think that vaccination passports will ever take hold in this generation in the United States.  There is just too much opposition, even from vaccinated people like me.  Personally, I've decided that I will never show a vaccination card to anyone for any reason.  The CDC says that as a vaccinated person, I'm not a threat to anyone, nor am I threatened by anyone even if they are sick with COVID.  So I don't care if anyone else wears a mask or not, and I will choose to avoid any business that requires proof of vaccination.

Anyone who is scared of being around me because I'm not wearing a mask and am unwilling to show a vaccination card should simply make sure they are fully vaccinated themselves, and that frees them from having to worry about being around me.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

They seem the same to me.  If a penicillin shot is a "medical record", then it seems a vaccination is as well.

I don't think that vaccination passports will ever take hold in this generation in the United States.  There is just too much opposition, even from vaccinated people like me.  Personally, I've decided that I will never show a vaccination card to anyone for any reason.  The CDC says that as a vaccinated person, I'm not a threat to anyone, nor am I threatened by anyone even if they are sick with COVID.  So I don't care if anyone else wears a mask or not, and I will choose to avoid any business that requires proof of vaccination.

Anyone who is scared of being around me because I'm not wearing a mask and am unwilling to show a vaccination card should simply make sure they are fully vaccinated themselves, and that frees them from having to worry about being around me.

Got any kids in public school?