Vaccine passport on the way?

SLAG-91

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

@TitanTigerand yet President Biden held a State of the Union speech last night with a limited number in attendance and all participants were vaccinated and wearing masks.  What message does this send to those that have not been vaccinated?

I agree that the messaging over this is too cautious, but that avoids the point of my post.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I agree that the messaging over this is too cautious, but that avoids the point of my post.

It doesn’t if you’re point was trying to preach the virtues of getting the vaccination to someone who doesn’t want to get it.  Why would a person that is on the fence want to get the vaccination if it is not going to chance his life in the near future?

If that wasn’t your point I guess I missed it.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It doesn’t if you’re point was trying to preach the virtues of getting the vaccination to someone who doesn’t want to get it.  Why would a person that is on the fence want to get the vaccination if it is not going to chance his life in the near future?

If that wasn’t your point I guess I missed it.

My point was to look at the facts when making the decision.  Not on baseless fears and hypothetical what-ifs.  Not even on overly cautious messaging from the CDC or politicians.  The facts.  And the facts say, you're about 155,000 times more likely to die from catching COVID than from getting a vaccine of any kind.  We've vaccinated several times more people than have gotten COVID and an order of magnitude fewer people have died vs those who've died from COVID.  It's a no brainer.

• Like 1

I've not been one to get flu shots typically, and I will admit that the only reason I got this jab was so I would be able to visit my mother this summer...my fear of getting very sick has been virtually zero.

The part that is frustrating is the messaging of "you're vaccinated. Cool. Still have to wear masks, etc." I would kick my own ass if I were wearing a mask outdoors (or anywhere else, honestly) after being vaccinated. 

We are pretty much to the point where anyone who wants to get a vaccine can get one (young'uns don't need it, imo, but that's another discussion altogether). More than a few facilities for vaccinations have very little traffic these days. Once it's a matter of "won't" rather than "can't", the restrictions should be gone. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

I've not been one to get flu shots typically, and I will admit that the only reason I got this jab was so I would be able to visit my mother this summer...my fear of getting very sick has been virtually zero.

The part that is frustrating is the messaging of "you're vaccinated. Cool. Still have to wear masks, etc." I would kick my own ass if I were wearing a mask outdoors (or anywhere else, honestly) after being vaccinated. 

We are pretty much to the point where anyone who wants to get a vaccine can get one (young'uns don't need it, imo, but that's another discussion altogether). More than a few facilities for vaccinations have very little traffic these days. Once it's a matter of "won't" rather than "can't", the restrictions should be gone. 

Unless the “won’t” crowd becomes the reason we can’t get to herd immunity. Then I am completely on board with some form of verification you’ve gotten the vaccine and those who refuse it without a valid medical reason lose the privilege to fully participate in things. 

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Unless the “won’t” crowd becomes the reason we can’t get to herd immunity. Then I am completely on board with some form of verification you’ve gotten the vaccine and those who refuse it without a valid medical reason lose the privilege to fully participate in things. 

The issue with herd immunity is; who decides we have herd immunity?  Dr. Makary of Johns Hopkins has stated we basically have herd immunity now.  Dr. Fauci is talking masking kids until at least this fall and then they can get the vaccine.

A conundrum.

It's your choice to get the vaccine or not. By now most have had their opportunities.

By mid-year, nearly half the country will likely have been vaccinated. Hopefully that group will include the majority of the higher risk population.  

Choosing to not associate with non-vaccinated groups while you are vaccinated is dumbassery.

People sitting alone in the same room, spaced 10 feet apart, wearing masks, while fully vaccinated isn't sending any useful message. It's theater.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The issue with herd immunity is; who decides we have herd immunity?  Dr. Makary of Johns Hopkins has stated we basically have herd immunity now.  Dr. Fauci is talking masking kids until at least this fall and then they can get the vaccine.

A conundrum.

Not a conundrum at all. The best solution would be a scientific consensus among experts in the field. “Consensus“ doesn’t mean unanimous. Most experts right now seem to agree that we need to have about 70% of the population vaccinated to be at herd immunity. If we can get there without the wackos who refuse to get vaccinated for no good reason, fine. If not, some venues, activities, modes of travel, and so on might be restricted to people who can show proof of vaccination.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not a conundrum at all. The best solution would be a scientific consensus among experts in the field. “Consensus“ doesn’t mean unanimous. Most experts right now seem to agree that we need to have about 70% of the population vaccinated to be at herd immunity. If we can get there without the wackos who refuse to get vaccinated for no good reason, fine. If not, some venues, activities, modes of travel, and so on might be restricted to people who can show proof of vaccination.

I can see this, however, 70% vaccinated population does not take into consideration the people that have natural immunity from contracting the virus which is Dr Makery’s point.  I’m sure there are people out there that think they don’t need the vaccine because of this fact.

I’m not sure how to verify this type of data.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I can see this, however, 70% vaccinated population does not take into consideration the people that have natural immunity from contracting the virus which is Dr Makery’s point.  I’m sure there are people out there that think they don’t need the vaccine because of this fact.

With all due respect, Dr. Makery, as smart as he is in his area of expertise, is not an expert in the field of infectious diseases, virology, or immunology.

Second, experts in the field believe that natural immunity for most people is not nearly as long lasting or as robust as the vaccines are.  And it tends to vary greatly from person to person.  It's not a reliable metric to count on here.

I’m not sure how to verify this type of data.

Me either.  Which is why unless there's a specific medical condition that makes getting vaccines problematic for someone health wise, everyone who's eligible should be getting it - at least if "getting back to normal" is what people actually want to happen sooner rather than later.  

ETA:  The aforementioned group that can't take most vaccines for specific health issues is another reason - there's always a segment of the population who can't get vaccinated and depend on the rest of us for herd immunity to be protected.

• Like 1

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

@TitanTigeris there a way to confirm herd immunity by the number of infections decreasing to a certain point?

I don't think so, but I'm not an expert in the statistical side of this either.

I'm sure someone who understands it better would be willing to make a such a call if new cases dropped to low enough levels.  I just don't know the mechanics of how you'd decide.  The problem right now is, even though cases are down, they still aren't down anywhere close to enough to think about this.  But they could be a lot sooner if folks would get on with the vaccinations.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AURex said:

Wifey and I have been vaccinated. We will only go on vacation to locations where evewryone else has been vaccinated.

As for all the anti-vaxxers and deniers -- hey, do your own thing. We won't be there.

Freedom of choice. This is OUR choice.

I got a bunch of negative responses to my post. LET ME MAKE CLEAR

FREEDOM OF CHOICE

You do what you want to do based on your preferences, and others do what they want to do based on their preferences.

Why hate on me for making the choices my wife and I make?

Is it only politically acceptable for people to make choices that coincide with your own?

Wifey and I will only vacation where everyone has been vaccinated.  That is OUR choice. You make your own choice. But do not diss us for the choice we make.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Wifey and I will only vacation where everyone has been vaccinated.  That is OUR choice. You make your own choice. But do not diss us for the choice we make.

Being an arse is always a personal choice. You aren't putting anyone in harm's way, and they aren't putting you in harm's way. It's an elitist mentality, and a lot of grandstanding but you do you. It's your freedom to do so, as it is anyone else's freedom to comment on it.

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Being an arse is always a personal choice. You aren't putting anyone in harm's way, and they aren't putting you in harm's way. It's an elitist mentality, and a lot of grandstanding but you do you. It's your freedom to do so, as it is anyone else's freedom to comment on it.

You Tell em' Johnny. Nothing more elitist and disgusting than people thinking about their personal health during a pandemic. 

If I were you I'd go into walmart and intentionally cough in the face of anyone still wearing a mask just to show them what dumb dumbs they actually are. Give me a mailing address and ill send you one of those "I trust Dr.Suess more than Dr. Fauci" Shirts for you to wear.  😜

• Facepalm 1

Ugh, on facebook a guy who i went to High school with just posted a rant about how 'suspicious' it is that the government is giving out the vaccines for free, when he claims the government never gives anything out for free. ( I guess the guy's never heard of Medicaid before) He's like "So Why do i normally have to pay for medicine i need to live, but now suddenly this vaccine is free, huh?..things aren't adding up" 

This followed by several others saying "You are catching on, man!" And "It's cause the pandemic was created for the vaccine, not the other way around!" 

omg...people are so stupid.... 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You Tell em' Johnny. Nothing more elitist and disgusting than people thinking about their personal health during a pandemic. 

If I were you I'd go into walmart and intentionally cough in the face of anyone still wearing a mask just to show them what dumb dumbs they actually are. Give me a mailing address and ill send you one of those "I trust Dr.Suess more than Dr. Fauci" Shirts for you to wear.  😜

Keep telling yourself those statements were about personal health. He's already vaccinated, and not in harm's way if vacationing around some folks who might not be.  If you haven't gotten your shots yet, you should...and when you do, feel free to continue to be an arse, deflect and grandstand. It's your right.  

On 4/29/2021 at 12:55 PM, TitanTiger said:

If we can get there without the wackos who refuse to get vaccinated for no good reason, fine.

I know plenty of young healthy individuals choosing/not refusing to get the vaccine. They are highly educated, far from wacko. Their opinion on getting it might change in the future, but at this point they are Covid19 free after roughly a year and a half of the virus being in the country. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AURex said:

I got a bunch of negative responses to my post. LET ME MAKE CLEAR

FREEDOM OF CHOICE

You do what you want to do based on your preferences, and others do what they want to do based on their preferences.

Why hate on me for making the choices my wife and I make?

Is it only politically acceptable for people to make choices that coincide with your own?

I think you're a bit sensitive here. No one mocked you for getting a vaccine, but rather laughed at a vacay spot where all are vaccinated. Like where is that exactly? My wife and I got our vaccines too, but did so to be safe regardless of travel destinations. Of course we'll be cautious. Just chill, you'll be fine I'm quite sure. Good luck! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I know plenty of young healthy individuals choosing/not refusing to get the vaccine. They are highly educated, far from wacko. Their opinion on getting it might change in the future, but at this point they are Covid19 free after roughly a year and a half of the virus being in the country. 

The stats I cited don’t lie. I’m glad they haven’t gotten it yet but it still looks like playing roulette with your (and potentially others’) health by comparison. 

It’s just interesting that the group that’s been yelling the most for us to “get back to normal” ASAP are the least willing to do the very thing that can make that happen the fastest. 

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The stats I cited don’t lie. I’m glad they haven’t gotten it yet but it still looks like playing roulette with your (and potentially others’) health by comparison. 

It’s just interesting that the group that’s been yelling the most for us to “get back to normal” ASAP are the least willing to do the very thing that can make that happen the fastest. 

I'm not arguing any of that, but to call them all wacko's was not accurate.

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

I'm not arguing any of that, but to call them all wacko's was not accurate.

Your friends may not be, but I think the majority of the ones refusing the vaccine are wackos. They’re made up of a combo of regular anti-vaccine weirdos and political conspiracy theorists listening to idiots on YouTube and Facebook too much. 

Some folks are just taking their time and not rushing out to get it. The opportunity has only been open to some of us over the last few weeks.  Everybody isn't a conspiracy theorist like some wish to believe.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Your friends may not be, but I think the majority of the ones refusing the vaccine are wackos. They’re made up of a combo of regular anti-vaccine weirdos and political conspiracy theorists listening to idiots on YouTube and Facebook too much. 

I think there is that segment for sure, but I do not see them as a majority. We'll just disagree. Fine with me. It's Friday. 

Take a look at the crawl at the bottom of the screen...least surprising news item of the day right there.

That's a big ol' "nope" on the national vaccine database, Doc Emanuel. Thank you, drive through.