Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

11 hours ago, clwn said:

OU better fit in the SEC, should bring them in along with Clemson or FSU. Kicking out A&M and Mizzu to keep it 14.

Honestly, Texas struggles where they are now and they got it easy. Joining the SEC and trying to run through that gauntlet will be funny. Sure they will soon regret it, especially how demanding their fanbase seems.

Texas is better suited to go independent or the B1G

• Like 1

I think this has already, off the record, been cleared by the SEC schools. There wouldn't be this much public information if the current members were likely to block it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

So when is this happening?

Word for some folks who would know this is, now. It's done. Crazy crazy stuff. Working on if it's going to be the 4 team pod or two divisions now. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Word for some folks who would know this is, now. It's done. Crazy crazy stuff. Working on if it's going to be the 4 team pod or two divisions now. 

OH HELL YES!

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Definitely like that the SEC is leading the charge.  Don't want to be reacting here. 

We are talking a big increase in money to the SEC here. Whether Texas fans are jerks or not, they bring boatloads of cash. Also, UT will not be able to bully the rest of the SEC schools the way they did their previous "friends". They'll take the same cut as Vandy and have to like it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The Pods make more sense it also gives you more cross over games so teams will play each other more then they do in the two division set up we have now. imo

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We are talking a big increase in money to the SEC here. Whether Texas fans are jerks or not, they bring boatloads of cash. Also, UT will not be able to bully the rest of the SEC schools the way they did their previous "friends". They'll take the same cut as Vandy and have to like it.

What is so amazing right here is this being kept so secret. Absolutely shocked at that. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So I am sure Texas a&m was a resounding no but I wonder if anybody else was resistant to the idea. I imagine our SEC leaders through the monetary value at them and said get with the program.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What is so amazing right here is this being kept so secret. Absolutely shocked at that. 

Totally agree the other conferences have been caught completely off guard. Amazing job to keep so secret

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So I am sure Texas a&m was a resounding no but I wonder if anybody else was resistant to the idea. I imagine our SEC leaders through the monetary value at them and said get with the program.

Heard an interesting take on ESPNU radio this morning.  2 things.  First and foremost, this will be voted on by Presidents who focus on what is best for the university.  The money that will come in, will trump any animosity the athletic sides may have.  

2nd, the host of the show's theory TAMU leaked it as a last ditch effort to prevent it from happening, willing to take less money if it sticks it to UTx one more time.  Reasoning was the canned response ready by Jimbo. Also the TAMU AD timing of coming off the elevator right after the release with a prepared response.  Conspiracy theory yes, but interesting. 

• Like 1

Wow, being reported that all the Big12 schools are not lining up meetings with the PAC and Big10,and that Tx and OKL are as good as gone. 

This is crazy, The Big12 might not even exist anymore this time next month. 

32 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Heard an interesting take on ESPNU radio this morning.  2 things.  First and foremost, this will be voted on by Presidents who focus on what is best for the university.  The money that will come in, will trump any animosity the athletic sides may have.  

2nd, the host of the show's theory TAMU leaked it as a last ditch effort to prevent it from happening, willing to take less money if it sticks it to UTx one more time.  Reasoning was the canned response ready by Jimbo. Also the TAMU AD timing of coming off the elevator right after the release with a prepared response.  Conspiracy theory yes, but interesting. 

They're already #1 and #2 in atheltic revenue nationwide.  This runs wayyy deeper for the Aggies.  There's a reason reports say A&M was kept in the dark on this by other members.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

I’m not familiar with the UT TaMu rivalry so I’m having a hard time understanding why they hate each other so much?  I get the rivalry but did something else happen that would make them not want to play each other every year?  I hate Bama and UGA like the rest but I’d also be disappointed to lose the Iron Bowl and the South’s oldest rivalry.

As far as pods go, how would you determine who plays in the SEC championship game?  Best overall record with tie breakers?  Does the Championship game cease to exist? 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What would your estimated time table for it actually to be in effect? Between Texas and OU doing what they have to do avoid legal obligations since they are still under contract with the Big 12 and all the rescheduling that has to be done. I lean more towards season after next, but I wouldn't be surprised if they find ways to get things done quicker 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Working on if it's going to be the 4 team pod or two divisions now. 

Needs to be neither. Blow up the divisions/pods.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’m not familiar with the UT TaMu rivalry so I’m having a hard time understanding why they hate each other so much?  I get the rivalry but did something else happen that would make them not want to play each other every year?  I hate Bama and UGA like the rest but I’d also be disappointed to lose the Iron Bowl and the South’s oldest rivalry.

As far as pods go, how would you determine who plays in the SEC championship game?  Best overall record with tie breakers?  Does the Championship game cease to exist? 

UT/A&M has a lot more to do with politics, but also UT flat looks down their nose at the Aggies.  You guys think Bama is bad?  I'm telling you, UT is worse.

Aggies got away from them because UT always did their own thing and never did what was right by other schools in the Big 12 or SWC conferences.  A&M has no desire to relive that s***.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

UT/A&M has a lot more to do with politics, but also UT flat looks down their nose at the Aggies.  You guys think Bama is bad?  I'm telling you, UT is worse.

Aggies got away from them because UT always did their own thing and never did what was right by other schools in the Big 12 or SWC conferences.  A&M has no desire to relive that s***.

I said it earlier but unless Sark turns UT into the new Bama I don’t see Texas being able to push their weight around in the SEC.  Too many other heavyweights to put up with that. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

The Pods make more sense it also gives you more cross over games so teams will play each other more then they do in the two division set up we have now. imo

Right but if you don't have pods & have every team play 3 same opponents every year (preferrably at least 2 rivals for each team) & rotate the other 12, 6 at a time twice in every 4 years you play everybody quicker & more often than even in pods.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I said it earlier but unless Sark turns UT into the new Bama I don’t see Texas being able to push their weight around in the SEC.  Too many other heavyweights to put up with that. 

Be careful with that. They getting to the SEC would open a lot more doors for recruiting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Even if they were to become the next bama which I highly doubt they will, they still won't push anybody around especially the original founders of the SEC 🤣 Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, won't put up with that crap. They would just laugh in their face if they tried anything.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

how would you determine who plays in the SEC championship game?  Best overall record with tie breakers?

This is my thought & issue. Word is that would be the tie breakers. Sucks for 2 of the Pod champs. Congrats for winning your pod. No SECCG for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Be careful with that. They getting to the SEC would open a lot more doors for recruiting. 

Even if they did you’d still have all the talent in the other states as well as more teams possibly poaching Texas kids.  In the Big 12 the only real place to recruit is Texas.  Battling UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Bama, TaMu, and Auburn for a kid is a lot different than battling TCU, Baylor, SMU, OkState, and Kansas.