Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

13 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I haven't seen much of them (or paid much attention lol) but always felt they would be a lot like Alabama fans. After reading their forum for about 5 mins I can say that they are indeed like Alabama fans, without the recent success.

So they're Georgia fans 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I really hate corporate college football. I don’t long for yesteryear but the sport will become less and less exciting. College sports have so many intangibles. 

I love Auburn and Southern/SEC football. I don’t see how either get better with expansion. I know they get richer. I don’t care. A president or AD’s salary means nothing to me. I don’t like the idea of our culture being homogenized. 

24 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I personally would like to see them swap Arkansas and A&M so that the "old big 12" would basically be its own pod. 

A&M has no desire for that.  Y'all really underestimate the animosity Aggie has for Texas.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

A&M has no desire for that.  Y'all really underestimate the animosity Aggie has for Texas.

Oh I'm not underestimating it, that is just what I would like to see

2 hours ago, bigbird said:
4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

A&M and Mizzou are hard no votes.

Arkansas hates UT and left the SWC largely because of them.  Likely no as well.

Only need one more no to sink this and remember, LSUs AD used to be the AD at Aggie.

I think LSU may refuse due to recruiting areas and the advantage over UTx in Texas because of the SEC

I've actually heard by the time they vote A&M will be the only no vote. Yes Arky and Mizzou don't want UT but they will bend to the pressure of Sankey and the other league members who want UT....

• Like 2

Maybe we can push for formation of the “Arrogant Perceived Elite” league. UTx would have to be a founding member but Michigan, Notre Dame, USCw could all fit right in there. Just keep damn UTx out of the SEC

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

So for each University, who will cast the accept/don't accept vote? (Or make the decision) AD, President, BoT, PTB, or some combo of that? 

Yeah it would be great for money, but eff the Teasips. Oklahoma and OSU are much better fits in SEC culture. Texas should just go independent like Notre Dame.

• Like 2

Dodd reporting Big12 ADs and CEOs meeting today at 5 to discuss the situation. Clearly real fire to this if that's the case.  I guess we'll see how serious they are now. 

If true, regardless of outcome, won't this set off another mega-conference arms race? You certainly don't want to be last to that party. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I've actually heard by the time they vote A&M will be the only no vote. Yes Arky and Mizzou don't want UT but they will bend to the pressure of Sankey and the other league members who want UT....

From whom? And what is their "in the know" level.

9 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

If true, regardless of outcome, won't this set off another mega-conference arms race? You certainly don't want to be last to that party. 

I think it will start anyways now that it's out there, even if this falls through.  I think the SEC should go ahead and get their 16 teams now.  The conference that gets it first will have the most advantageous position.  I think, if anything, this scares the other conferences that if this did go through, who could you bring in to strengthen your own conference to compete with SEC, unless you can poach a major player from another conference. You don't want to be reacting here. 

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

Maybe we can push for formation of the “Arrogant Perceived Elite” league. UTx would have to be a founding member but Michigan, Norte Dame, USCw could all fit right in there. Just keep damn UTx out of the SEC

This; times 1,000,000.

They are poison.  They've been playing conference roulette and unhappy conference member for 30 years. They were going to join the "PAC16" with OU back before the Longhorn Network.   They've courted every conference in the country and destroyed two.  We need them like Hunter Biden needs a drink.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

The melt has been glorious 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

So for each University, who will cast the accept/don't accept vote? (Or make the decision) AD, President, BoT, PTB, or some combo of that? 

Yeah it would be great for money, but eff the Teasips. Oklahoma and OSU are much better fits in SEC culture. Texas should just go independent like Notre Dame.

IMO UT would fit much better in the Pac 12

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

Yes especially Big 10 the other conferences have been caught off guard

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

This; times 1,000,000.

They are poison.  They've been playing conference roulette and unhappy conference member for 30 years. They were going to join the "PAC16" with OU back before the Longhorn Network.   They've courted every conference in the country and destroyed two.  We need them like Hunter Biden needs a drink.

The SWC destroyed itself - polo, ponies and probation ring a bell? SMU was the pebble keeping that boulder from rolling downhill, and when they got the DP and Arkie bolted for the SEC a short time after, the SWC was done.

Texas and, to an extent, OU, wanted to go to the PAC 12 together before the B12 merger, but Baylor and TTU grad lawmakers in Austin, led by Ann Richards, put a stop to it. UT's eff u to them was the Longhorn network. ATM was invited to be an equal partner in LHN, but declined, knowing it would end the chance for them to go to the SEC later, so don't buy those sour grapes. 

Having said that, I just assume they both stayed out of the SEC. OTOH, it's historically worked out for the best when the SEC made the first move on expansion. 

Edited by TigerHorn

24 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

finescum reportedly saying hes hearing its a done deal supposedly been in works for awhile

I heard since April/May

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

texlegis.png

B2580-BB3-8040-408-D-8408-4399805-F183-D

the plot thickens like the chick that wore them tight fittin jeans

See this is the problem why the flip is the Gov trying to get involved? Don't you have more serious matters to deal with. It should be up to institution itself the government should have no say in what they do 🙄. That being said I still don't want UT in the SEC 🤷

Edited by autiger88

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jesus, reading that Texas Horn thread, their fans seem like a treat, don’t they? That’s all we need is another entitled, we’re better than you fan base to have to listen to along with Bama and UGA.

That's my point. We do not need any more toxic fans. Look what that did to Auburn in 2010. 

Just....no. But big money and greed will win out and the SEC will no longer be the SEC. It will be all about Texas.

• Like 1