Conference realignment 2021

AUBwins

48 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well hell, if Auburn can get their coaching in the right place, they can absolutely be contenders.  That statement can be said about most any program.  College athletics AND the SEC are changing.  I hope like hell the Auburn Administration and our Coaches stand up and face this thing straight on and don't take on the defeatist attitude some of our fans already have.  

No offense to you Civil, but the SEC is about to be shaken to it's core.  May as well act like a founding SEC member school and take on anything they bring our way.  

I was about to make that same point. Auburn has certainly shown they can compete and win against any team in the conference and has for a long time. If Harsin is the guy and I think he is, he will bring the wins, consistency and recruiting with him.

• Like 1

2013 - lose the NC game 

2014 - lose to a true freshman with the Aggies even though in playoff contention 

2015 - one of the most hype Auburn teams ever, failed beyond measure 

2017- again in playoff contention , lose to an average LSU squad and can’t overcome UGA a second time.

plenty of talent ,

plenty of opportunity,

a good bit squandered 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

2013 - lose the NC game 

2014 - lose to a true freshman with the Aggies even though in playoff contention 

2015 - one of the most hype Auburn teams ever, failed beyond measure 

2017- again in playoff contention , lose to an average LSU squad and can’t overcome UGA a second time.

plenty of talent ,

plenty of opportunity,

a good bit squandered 

Yep, maddening.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

We're already building a football-only center; how much more do we need investments to catch up when that's done? Honest question.

I am looking at the picture outside of football.  I know this is in the football thread and my bad for not specifying.   We are bottom tier in softball, baseball, soccer, track and field.  How many renovations do you keep adding to some of these facilities before starting new?   The football facility is great, but again it took years of dragging our feet while other schools were doing and cost of construction was only going up.  When everyone knows you need to have something to stay competitive we need to get it done in a timely manner.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

This is somewhat true but not quite the way to make it happen.   Auburn has to put a consistent product on the field first….then the money will come in and everything else that goes with winning at a consistently high level.   

Agree winning helps everything, my bad for not specifying all sports and not just football.   Having top tier SEC facilities helps recruiting which in return helps winning consistently at all sports, IMO .

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Didn’t look like to me that the new FOC was “lipstick on a pig”, so in my mind a good start if they don’t sag down the road.

My bad for not stating all athletics and not just football.  I agree the Football only complex is a great start and awesome.

45 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

My bad for not stating all athletics and not just football.  I agree the Football only complex is a great start and awesome.

Gotcha, not familiar at all with other sports. Your probably correct in that aspect. Hopefully we come on in those also.

11 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Dude, where is this coming from? Every coach we have had since 1981 has either won some sort of national championship or gone undefeated, save for Gus, who went to the national title game (and was OC for the NC). If Auburn's football program has been any kind of average over the last couple of decades, it's only because the highs and the lows counteract one another and the overall mean is not astounding.

This.  

Consistently winning will take care of everything.

Edited by homersapien

On 8/2/2021 at 9:41 PM, woodford said:

People who are excited about this are not thinking long term. They're getting caught in the excitement. 95% of this site has not admitted to themselves that Auburn will become the definition of an average CFB program post 2025. 

What kind of horse sh*t is this?  Last I checked, we have won a national title since Oklahoma and Texas have and played for another.  Both of these happened while the greatest coach in CFB history roamed the sidelines in Tuscaloosa and we had a guy coaching for us running a high school offense.  I understand that recruiting is going to have to go up a notch, but Auburn is not laying down for anybody.  I highlighted a few things from the Auburn Creed for you.

The Auburn Creed

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

-George Petrie (1943)

Edited by Britt in GA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Britt in GA said:

What kind of horse sh*t is this?  Last I checked, we have won a national title since Oklahoma and Texas have and played for another.  Both of these happened while the greatest coach in CFB history roamed the sidelines in Tuscaloosa and we had a guy coaching for us running a high school offense.  I understand that recruiting is going to have to go up a notch, but Auburn is not laying down for anybody.  I highlighted a few things from the Auburn Creed for you.

The Auburn Creed

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

-George Petrie (1943)

My God this is cringe 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

My God this is cringe 

Cringing is what you were doing in the corner.  I was trying to help you out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I am looking at the picture outside of football.  I know this is in the football thread and my bad for not specifying.   We are bottom tier in softball, baseball, soccer, track and field.  How many renovations do you keep adding to some of these facilities before starting new?   The football facility is great, but again it took years of dragging our feet while other schools were doing and cost of construction was only going up.  When everyone knows you need to have something to stay competitive we need to get it done in a timely manner.

To be fair, we spent tens of millions every year.  Baseball and softball have been getting upgrades and are in line for more. We have one of the best Arenas in the country for basketball.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Saw this on the Kansas thread. 

“When I said hold it minute I meant for you to wait a minute before you line up!”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

My God this is cringe 

I'm curious as to why an invocation of the Creed is cringe...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Anyone who can stomach seeing the Creed after being inundated with it for 4 years is a better man than I 

That would be most of us who attended AU, then. I'm not sure why you even remain a fan if you feel that way. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Anyone who can stomach seeing the Creed after being inundated with it for 4 years is a better man than I 

Do you not believe in the Creed, then?

20 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'm curious as to why an invocation of the Creed is cringe...

I never said there was anything cringe about the creed. I respect it just as much as you do (unless you want to get into a pissing match over it? Sounds like something that would happen on this site)

His post was cringe because he took my completely useless Auburn sports message board post about conference expansion and somehow tied that to the Auburn creed that has nothing to do with corporate college football. Just because I’m worried about Auburn’s future football success does not mean I’m “scared.” I don’t represent the football team. I’m a student/fan. I never implied Auburn will quit trying to be successful. I’m just worried that we won’t be able to keep up due to our history in facility and coaching investments. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know about you but it's now a 5-6 year period for a degree. lol.

And I don't remember the Creed being inundated while I was there, and I was in the band. :)

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

I never said there was anything cringe about the creed. I respect it just as much as you do (unless you want to get into a pissing match over it? Sounds like something that would happen on this site)

His post was cringe because he took my completely useless Auburn sports message board post about conference expansion and somehow tied that to the Auburn creed that has nothing to do with corporate college football. Just because I’m worried about Auburn’s future football success does not mean I’m “scared.” I don’t represent the football team. I’m a student/fan. I never implied Auburn will quit trying to be successful. I’m just worried that we won’t be able to keep up due to our history in facility and coaching investments. 

Fair enough, I suppose.

But with regard to investments, we aren't exactly cheap on coaches. It wasn't so long ago that we had the highest combined salaries of all assistant coaches in the SEC, Gus had a huge salary with a monster buyout, and it wasn't exactly cheap to pull Harsin away from Boise.

And the football only facility is imminent. I don't think we're falling behind in facilities for at least this one sport.

18 minutes ago, woodford said:

That was a much more articulated response.  Way to use your words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, I cannot keep up with all this change in college football so fast, but If it did go to 18 teams with Clemson and Florida St. too...I think a 3 division breakdown could make sense...

WEST DIVISION

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

CENTRAL DIVISION

Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.
Vanderbilt
Tennessee

EASTERN DIVISION

Clemson
Florida
Florida St
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina

Move to a 9 team conference schedule. Each team plays 5 division opponents each year and 2 each from other 2 divisions. Play every team in the conference every 3 years.

OR

Move to an 11 team conference schedule. Each team plays 5 division opponents each year and 3 each from other 2 divisions. Play every team from conference every 2 years. I know 11 conference games seems crazy but, this game is changing so fast, the SEC would be so strong, it be even more understood than even now, that good SEC teams could be have 3 or 4 losses in a year. 

Each division winner and 1 wild card in an SEC playoff for conference championship