2021 Bo Nix

WDE_OxPx_2010

The Whole team looked better prepared tonight than the last 8 years. I'll take it and hope we keep improving.

• Like 6

Can anyone who knows such intricacies comment on Bo’s form? I know a couple throws weren’t the most accurate ever but I felt like his placement was worlds better. Balls that allowed guys to continue their stride, didn’t have to contort too often. Couple throws where he didn’t even know where the open guy was, found him quickly, then put it on him 

Id love to hear if the form matched what my tiny brain was imagining  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

What? What does that mean? Don't wink at me please

👎 relax.... Just want to hear your thoughts on Bo nix finally having a decent game

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Can anyone who knows such intricacies comment on Bo’s form? I know a couple throws weren’t the most accurate ever but I felt like his placement was worlds better. Balls that allowed guys to continue their stride, didn’t have to contort too often. Couple throws where he didn’t even know where the open guy was, found him quickly, then put it on him 

Maybe the biggest indicator that he has improved is that our WRs weren’t constantly catching balls in double coverage and with their bodies all contorted. It was great to see WRs with space between them and defenders and Bo stepping into throws. His TD to Ja Johnson was a thing of beauty. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe the biggest indicator that he has improved is that our WRs weren’t constantly catching balls in double coverage and with their bodies all contorted. It was great to see WRs with space between them and defenders and Bo stepping into throws. His TD to Ja Johnson was a thing of beauty. 

Bo is going to look better for a massive amount of reasons. Yes he's looks improved due to self improvement/better coaching ,  better fundamentals,  stepped into a pocket a few times, etc. 

But coupled with this will be a scheme that is actually practical. Better route combinations, less screen or deep ball only plays. Etc.

Everyone is getting better and we're all playing in a better offense which will make everyone look better too.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

Is it just me or did Bo seem to have more zip on the ball then previous years?   He seemed to have improved on his arm strength.

Edited by AUfan_UAgrad
  • Like 1

Commentators complimented him on his form and footwork several times fwiw. Looked good to my untrained eye.

Just so hard to tell anything against that team. So little pressure.

• Like 3

Simply Bo was setting his feet before his throw. He is good when he does that. I think to that Bobo gave a much better game plan than he has had the last two years. I also think the receivers were much better. I think his to misses was on overthrow and one dropped by a receiver.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Is it just me or did Bo seem to have more zip on the ball then previous years?   He seemed to have improved on his arm strength.

He always seemed to have good velocity when he threw from a solid base.

Main difference is it was always that way last night vs rarely 

• Like 1

One of the misses hit receiver in the hands :o. This game and this coaching change may have been like going through the first freshman game again. He knows what to do, but has to put feelings aside, do it, see it work for the betterment of the team, and have the game slow down again. Hopefully come game 3, it is ingrained enough that he is confident in play calls, reads, and check-downs, so that even under pressure he makes good use of each millisecond to carve defenses, rather than run around improvising. Part of that is how much he and OL continue to develop. Part of that is how well receivers can GET the ball when they have someone holding them. No reason not to be more guardedly-optimistic.

7 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

👎 relax.... Just want to hear your thoughts on Bo nix finally having a decent game

Ok just say that bro, how do I get that from a wink emoji?

I think he played well, it's clear as day he's finally decided to work on his fundamentals, I'm ecstatic about that.

Of course you see who we played....so I'm waiting and hoping this translates against decent teams.

I will say that if I was a person that wants to be smug and make a bunch of back handed posts I'd wait for at least two real games. To see if things are starting to take you have to see what happens against pressure. That's when decision making and habits breakdown under pressure.

Worst thing that can happen is people start that up and then he doesn't play that well and that's going to cause people to respond, then it will be the woe is Bo stuff all over again as opposed to everybody be cordial and let's move on.

But that's just my opinion

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

last night i listened to the game on the radio on the computer and i think that is most fun i have had had listening to an auburn. it was badly needed.

• Like 4

I watched nearly every play of the Penn State game ( I got bored and napped at one point in the 3rd qtr - Big 10 FB you know....) and they have a salty defense with a lot of speed and guys moving to the ball.   Auburn will have to have a better offensive performance to beat PSU on the road.    I know that is hard to imagine, but those chunk plays won't be there and they tackle real well.   They were faster on both sides of the ball than I expected.  Must be a James Franklin recruiting focus.   They were very good. 

Having said that, Wisc could not pass the ball well at all and our TEs played well - I am talking about seeing so many sets where they played but did not get targeted, but then the next play they did.   Harsin gave PSU a lot to prepare for - I mean LOTS.  

Thank you Harsin for  making PSU work to prep for us....Gus would have played vanilla and our players would still be practicing against the backups and would not be ready for a big road game.  

That being said, I like our chances vs PSU having watched both games.  Auburn has a real chance if we give Bo just enough time for him not to slip back into his old habits. 

No doubt that Akron's defense is hot, hot garbage, but there is still a lot to glean from Nix's performance and the offense as a whole last night. Progression through receivers was immediately apparent, and a stark difference from what we've seen previously. Nix was moving to and from, and sometimes back to different sides or quadrants of the field. Although I don't think he's completely comfortable with what they are asking him to do yet, it's obvious that he is doing it, and that's a testament to Bobo, Harsin, the offensive staff, and of course, Bo Nix.

His touchdown pass to Kobe Hudson was a great example of this. Defense lined up in a cover 2 look. Nix's first read was to the strong safety, who immediately dropped to the middle of the field in cover 3. He then moved to the right side of the field, looked off the corner lined up over Hudson who widened out to cover the flat leaving a massive gap up the seam between the strong safety in the middle third, and the boundary corner occupying the right third of the field. Nix comes back to Hudson and throws a strike for a touchdown. It was a thing of beauty.

That's the most disciplined ball I've seen Bo Nix play, and the more comfortable he gets, the better he will get. That said, he was hardly pressured, and it's one thing to go through progressions when you can stand in the pocket unperturbed. This is all repetition, and I'm glad he is having an opportunity to get more comfortable against some easier opponents before the test he will face in Beaver stadium. Getting comfortable for Bo means moving through his progressions quickly and decisively, which he will have to do against a more formidable pass rush. 

As everyone saw, Nix was standing tall in the pocket, setting his feet, and stepping into his throws. It is pleasing to see the focus Bobo is placing on Nix's fundamentals bearing fruit on game day. If Bo continues to progress through the meat of our schedule, this will be a really exciting offense to watch.

Something else to note that I saw someone post last night. Last time an Auburn TE had more than 10 receptions in a season was CJ Uzomah in 2014. John Shenker had five catches last night alone. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

As everyone saw, Nix was standing tall in the pocket, setting his feet, and stepping into his throws

He still had a few throws last night that could have been big gains but were off target from not setting his feet, the one that is immediately coming to mind was the seam pass to Shed that was 35 yard gain instead of 85+ for a touchdown. He's getting there though

10 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He still had a few throws last night that could have been big gains but were off target from not setting his feet, the one that is immediately coming to mind was the seam pass to Shed that was 35 yard gain instead of 85+ for a touchdown. He's getting there though

I thought his feet looked great on that throw, tbh. Wasn't a perfect throw, but I've become accustomed to seeing Bo put that ball too far out front in the past, and I'm glad he put it in a place that Shed could get to it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Contortion was the word I was gonna use but it felt redundant, but that really is the biggest takeaway. There was literally only one catch I can think of where the guy had to look at a different angle/direction than he was already going...the TD where he found Hudson open. But that was between two dudes, and it required some good touch 

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Simply Bo was setting his feet before his throw. He is good when he does that. I think to that Bobo gave a much better game plan than he has had the last two years. I also think the receivers were much better. I think his to misses was on overthrow and one dropped by a receiver.  

Yeah I was thinking about it last night. The overthrow to I believe Hudson was probably 60% him 40% receiver. Like it wasn't a blatant overthrow. He was rolling out and I think the receiver was just coming out his break when Bo got to him. He wasn't at a good speed yet. but it wasn't a bad decision and wasn't a terrible overthrow 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

Bo was in control footwork was good some people mentioned on the wide open TD's ball were a little underthrown so receivers had to slow down. Last year he would have tried to hit a perfect pass and overthrown the receiver. When a receiver is wide open it is safer and smarter to be sure of the completion then to be perfect. Jackson did have to make a couple of really good catches early on that were not perfect but were still where he could make the catches. QB's help make receivers look good and receivers help make QB's look good.  Every good QB needs a couple of tough catches from their receivers.  Because our run game was so overpowering safeties had to help by coming up to stop the run allowing our receivers only having the beat their man so there was a lot of separation.

Fundamentally Bo was very sound great reads went through his progressions, no bad decisions, One throw was dropped so not Bo's fault and the missed throw while rolling was missed to outside where nobody could intercept as it would have had to have been really good throw to complete.   Now we need to see how Bo does when under real pressure or when it has to be a perfect throw because of tight coverage.  

• Like 3