* Official Auburn vs. Georgia Game Thread

abw0004

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Why? We won 6 games last season with basically the same players, nobody should of had high expectations going into this season? If you did I would like to know what you were smoking because I would like some please🤷

Using 2020 season win totals is extremely misleading, BUT I would still gladly take a 7-5 season. I think 8-4 is a worthy aspiration. 6-6 is the requirement.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

We have an entirely new staff with little coaching SEC experience outside of the coordinators and Caddy (which I feel is hurting to some degree, and esp with recruiting), a pretty “hope for the best” recruiting class, and a very meh returning team that lost a ton of depth via draft and transfer 

Why in the Lord’s name would you have expected this team to do exceptionally well 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We have an entirely new staff with little coaching SEC experience outside of the coordinators and Caddy (which I feel is hurting to some degree, and esp with recruiting), a pretty “hope for the best” recruiting class, and a very meh returning team that lost a ton of depth via draft and transfer 

Why in the Lord’s name would you have expected this team to do exceptionally well 

Well, that's why you have people who are very critical of this staff, although I'm trying to back off my criticism after finally breaking the BR curse.

4 minutes ago, Rogerandgjna06 said:

Is fault statement. That should give them experience to play better this year. Just saying!

A team of mediocre to good players can have all the experience in the world, but if they run up against a bunch of 5 stars, they're probably gonna lose.

Talent matters

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody said they were unbeatable but we can't win a shoot out. No way in hell. We can't win a game where passing down field is a necessity

We have a vastly better defense than both if those teams. It's not going to be a shootout, IMO 

7 minutes ago, Rogerandgjna06 said:

Is fault statement. That should give them experience to play better this year. Just saying!

Yep with a whole new coaching staff and new scheme all together but yep we should of went undefeated this year and be in the playoffs. Did you watch the game today? Because that's the difference in the talent level, also you can't blame Harsin, Bobo or Mason for the loss today, the playcalling I thought was fantastic especially going against the #2 team in the nation which is also one of the best Georgia teams I've seen in my lifetime(🤮 I hate saying that) the HC can't catch the balls or throw the ball for them either or play defense(I also think our defense did pretty good considering). We lost and I'm usually not one for moral victories but today was way better then I or what most people thought it would be. 

Edited by autiger88

3 UGa TDs to wide open WRs because our CBs kept biting on double moves. 5 or 6 dropped passes every game continue to plague our WRs/RBs, costing us points. #5 improved on that tonight. Our DL held their own against the run except for a couple plays. Our OL fought hard and did ok in spots but their talent is just not at the same level as the UGa DL.

Ok, so now we know where we stand. We need to upgrade our talent a lot, in several position groups, to be at the same level as a Georgia or bama. It's going to take some time to do that but as of now we are competitive against the rest of the league. One last thing, the refs sucked.

Edited by IronMan70

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Exactly. I was hoping for the unexpected today, but it was a very tall order for Harsin to come in and topple UGA in his first year, when Kirby has had 5 seasons worth of paying 5 stars. My expectations were low, and I think we competed well despite the errors. Clean that up and the score is very different. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We have a vastly better defense than both if those teams. It's not going to be a shootout, IMO 

Yeah right now I think we split--not just those two, but the remaining games overall.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

Here’s my reaction while trying to remove all emotions and look at the big picture. 
We have some glaring personnel issues. Specifically at WR and DB. QB position needs an upgrade but Bo didn’t lose this game and gave us a chance to win. 
Playcalling put players in good positions to make plays. I think Bobo called a good enough game especially considering the competition. 
Effort was there all around. Guys played hard and didn’t have a ton of penalties. That’s a step in the right direction. 
WR drops are absurd. If they just catch the balls that hit their hands we are in this game late and may even win.  So while that’s terrible and needs immediately addressed, it also shows we aren’t that far from being able to beat an UGA type team. I will give this year a pass and hope the issues like this are due to changes in coaching philosophy causing players to second guess and think instead of just react. We all know the route trees have likely been SEVERELY upgraded. I think the WRs all need to benched and re earn their spots, but I can also understand why they may be struggling. I think they’ll come around by end of year. Still need better talent there

I think defense played pretty darn well considering the receivers kept forcing them back on the field every 2 minutes. They finally wore out but they kept us in the game as long as they could. Need better talent at DB and DL but that will take time. 
This staff can still tank and self-destruct but I see signs of a solid foundation rebuild that always comes with growing pains. Get a few more wins under the belt and the growing pains will get less and less. 
This game wasnt what we wanted but it sure wasnt near as bad as some are implying and most of the errors in the game can easily be justified or corrected and a few tweaks and little time in a new system and next year could be really solid. 

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Using 2020 season win totals is extremely misleading, BUT I would still gladly take a 7-5 season. I think 8-4 is a worthy aspiration. 6-6 is the requirement.

This I agree with which I think is very attainable but even if we don't make 6-6 I still think Harsin is the right man for the job we just have to be patient. 

Bama is the only Auto Loss on our schedule. 

I'll guess we drop one to Ole Miss/Arkansas, even though we are better than both, and end up 8-4. 9-3 if we can play well and sweep those two aforementioned teams 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

A team of mediocre to good players can have all the experience in the world, but if they run up against a bunch of 5 stars, they're probably gonna lose.

Talent matters

So you are using 5 star players for a excuse.  The way I take it your saying our team doesn't have talent...

Just now, W.E.D said:

Bama is the only Auto Loss on our schedule. 

I'll guess we drop one to Ole Miss/Arkansas, even though we are better than both, and end up 8-4. 9-3 if we can play well and sweep those two aforementioned teams 

Legit, I think 8-4 is very doable with this team and staff. 9-3, I don’t think, but 8-4 is not far-fetched. 

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

This I agree with which I think is very attainable but even if we don't make 6-6 I still think Harsin is the right man for the job we just have to be patient. 

I do think we NEED to make a bowl this year. A week ago I wasn't so sure if we could. But we have no excuse to not beat USCe and one more.

• Like 1

Just now, Rogerandgjna06 said:

So you are using 5 star players for a excuse.  The way I take it your saying our team doesn't have talent...

How did you get that out of what he said? I'm really beginning to think you're just a troll 🤷

• Like 1

Just now, Rogerandgjna06 said:

Talent is relative to who you are playing. We don’t have a top 3 recruiting class every year like some of these teams. Talent matters, absolutely. And our team is not as deeply talented as some. We saw that today. 

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Legit, I think 8-4 is very doable with this team and staff. 9-3, I don’t think, but 8-4 is not far-fetched. 

8-4 should be the floor right now. 9-3 the expectation 

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I do think we NEED to make a bowl this year. A week ago I wasn't so sure if we could. But we have no excuse to not beat USCe and one more.

It asinine to think we aren't going to make a bowl

Just now, W.E.D said:

8-4 should be the floor right now. 9-3 the expectation 

I guess I’m saying I can see us dropping an extra game besides bama, but I can also see us going 9-3 and not dropping that extra game. 

• Like 1