Coach O out at end of season

Auctoritas

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32417460/ed-orgeron-return-coach-lsu-tigers-next-season-sources-say

Ed Orgeron and LSU have reached an agreement that he will not return as coach of the Tigers next season, sources told ESPN, confirming a report by Sports Illustrated.

He is expected to finish out the remainder of the 2021 season as the team's coach.

LSU's assistant coaches had not been told about the separation agreement as of early Sunday afternoon, sources told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.

Orgeron is among the highest-paid coaches in the FBS, behind only Alabama's Nick Saban and Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher, with an annual salary of about $9 million. Under the terms of the six-year contract he signed in January 2020, the school owes him a buyout of more than $17 million.

Orgeron had faced mounting criticism following LSU's 3-3 start that included a 38-27 loss to UCLA in the season opener and later back-to-back losses to Auburn and Kentucky. The Tigers beat No. 20 Florida on Saturday to improve to 4-3, as their banged-up defense came up with four interceptions and running back Tyrion Davis-Price rushed for a school-record 287 yards and three touchdowns in the 49-42 victory.

Orgeron's impending departure comes less than two years after he led the Tigers to a 15-0 record and national championship in 2019. He is 49-17 in six seasons.

LSU next plays at No. 13 Mississippi on Oct. 23.

• Thanks 1

This is insanity. Especially after beating FL yesterday . The guy is not even two years out from an NC and maybe the best team at LSU ever.  Considering coming off Covid and everything they would have thought differently. He recrudescence well and has a good defense and has lost a lot of coaching talent because they are moving up. It wasn’t like he had lost the team like Chiz or never had the team like Gus. 🤔

26 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This is insanity. Especially after beating FL yesterday . The guy is not even two years out from an NC and maybe the best team at LSU ever.  Considering coming off Covid and everything they would have thought differently. He recrudescence well and has a good defense and has lost a lot of coaching talent because they are moving up. It wasn’t like he had lost the team like Chiz or never had the team like Gus. 🤔

It’s other issues with Coach O, I would get him out now too…. Gus had the team, he just did not know what to do with it 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Sorta reminds me of that scene in Bull Durham where Nuke was knocking one out with Millie before his professional debut.  

“You’re leaving your fastball in the locker room for some piece of ___….”

Hate it for Coach O, but geez….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I'm jealous.

They figured it out way before we did.

Either the situation is no longer tenable with the allegations and Title IX issues, they have someone in mind they are sure they can get, or a combination of the above. They aren't doing this so they can hire Mel Tucker. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Either the situation is no longer tenable with the allegations and Title IX issues

He was perfect for them but the sexual stuff isn't gonna fly in these times. It's gonna set them back to DiNardo days.

People talking about Lane but he should stay at Ole Miss. dude been job hopping for a while. I know LSU is the better job.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

People talking about Lane but he should stay at Ole Miss. dude been job hopping for a while. I know LSU is the better job.

Cleared as requested, Lane.  He’d be hell on wheels with all that talent.  

Until he pulls an O.  

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

They'll throw the check book at Fickell. But hey, if Lane is looking for a new gig, I hear the USCw job is open 😁

• Like 1

I've heard stories of where they were going after Jimbo, Dabo, and Lane.  I think Jimbo has it in his contract, like Saban, if he wants to walk away he doesn't owe a buy out. I still for the life of me don't understand why this guy is such a hot commodity but I guess people smarter than myself know something that I don't. Dabo would be a fool to leave the cushy ACC, where he is a shoe in basically for the college football playoffs, for the SEC - West meat grinder.  Lane would be interesting but with all the talk about Coach O's personal life bleeding over into his coaching life Lane wouldn't really be any better... 

16 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I'm jealous.

They figured it out way before we did.

I really think Auburn figured it out about the same time.  It’s just buying out our guy was just too much until last year, so the Auburn fan suffered a little bit longer.

4 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

I wonder how many names they'll scratch off their list before Napier gets a call.

WDE!

You know he wants that job.

• Like 1

Dabo is an interesting name to watch IMO. He has been at Clemson for a really long time now and things may be starting to feel kind of stale there. I don't see the Jimbo and Kiffen rumors working out. Jimbo is just getting comfy at A&M and i don't think Kiffen has shown enough as a head coach to get considered. Cristobal is another name i would watch. Fickel is going somewhere after this season....but everyone is tying him to USCw. 

Just in- Bill Clark has turned them down. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

In the ESPN article about Coach O, said when he was at a radio show, a caller identified as “J-Boy” ask that he not hit on his sister…..awesome!

Edited by AlaskanFAN