Men vs Southern Indiana Game Thread: Exhibition

toddc

Live updates: Auburn basketball exhibition vs. Southern Indiana

ByNATHAN KING 12 minutes ago

Predictions For CFB Week 10 (Late Kick Cut)

latekick-predictionsforweektenthumbnail.jpg

AUBURN, Alabama — The eighth season of the Bruce Pearl unofficially tips off tonight.

The Tigers will debut their 2021-22 team at 7 p.m. CST in an exhibition contest against Southern Indiana. Back in the early '90s, USI was Pearl's first head-coaching gig. He won a Division-II national title there and took the Screaming Eagles to the D-II NCAA tournament in all nine of his seasons in Evansville.

There are no streaming or radio options for Friday night's action, so be sure to follow along with this link for updates on the score, statistical leaders, trends and more.

PREGAME

Starters for Auburn:

• 1: Wendell Green Jr.

• 2: Zep Jasper

• 3: Devan Cambridge

3COMMENTS

• 4: Jabari Smith

• 5: Walker Kessler

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

FIRST HALF

16:57 1H: Auburn's first points come from a Zep Jasper drive and score (USI 9, Auburn 2).

17:50 1H: Auburn has four turnovers, hasn't made a shot and trails 9-0 (USI 9, Auburn 0).

19:27 1H: USI strikes first with a transition 3-pointer, followed up another transition bucket (USI 5, Auburn 0).

Getting down 9-0, turning the ball over, and not scoring for 3 minutes. Woof!

Auburn has cut the lead to 13-7 at the first media timeout. I've seen conflicting reports on the turnovers. 247 says 5, but BMatt on Twitter has it at 3. Auburn has 4 blocks already. 1 from Cardwell, 1 from Williams, and 2 from Kessler.

I'm doing all of this via twitter just so the people who don't like twitter can get updates quickly. Sorry if you guys don't want this but Basketball is back! :D

Looks like not very much defense being played by Auburn other than blocks. Getting out rebounded is disappointing as well as the turnovers.

Edited by tgrogan21

You can see play by play on Auburn sports app live.

Auburn is now 2-7 on FTs. Luckily we're getting some offensive rebounds on these misses but I hope we don't have another season with low FT percentage.

Auburn is on an absolute tear right now. Cardwell with another block leads to a dunk on the other end. Auburn up 23-21 right now.

Damn Swopes kid for ISU is draining 3 after 3. Leads all teams with 13 points. KD getting some nice assists to Williams for easy dunks.

Edited by tgrogan21

34-32 at halftime Auburn 

Edited by toddc

Auburn leads 34-32 at half. Seems like it might be an ugly game from what I'm seeing through tweets. Auburn had 10 turnovers in the first half but Kessler, Jabari, and Jasper all looking good. KD and Cardwell bringing crazy energy off the bench. Cambridge and Moore each had a bad stretch at the end of the first half. Moore got two foul calls in a row and then Cambridge had 2 turnovers right after.

Why can't we ever get our exhibition televised? Ours are usually competitive because we play good teams in lower divisions.

AU up by 10 with 1:34 left 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

68/54 AU!! Auburn just dominated the last 5-6 minutes.

• Like 1

• toddc changed the title to AU Wins 68-54 in Tonight’s Exhibition Game vs S. Indiana

FINAL: Auburn 68, Southern Indiana 54.

Tigers end the game with one of the most impressive runs I've ever seen from a Bruce Pearl team: 22-0 over the final 8:32.

Auburn gets 4 scorers in double digits: Cambridge (13), Johnson (12), Jasper (11) and Smith (11).

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

FINAL: Auburn 68, Southern Indiana 54.

Tigers end the game with one of the most impressive runs I've ever seen from a Bruce Pearl team: 22-0 over the final 8:32.

Auburn gets three FOUR scorers in double digits: Cambridge (13), Johnson (12), Jasper (11) and Smith (11).

FIFY

• WarTiger changed the title to Men vs Southern Indiana Game Thread: Exhibition

I forgot to comment on it, but you could clearly see some commonalities in how their scrimmage (from the starters POV) played out to how this game played out. With so much youth and lack of chemistry, there’s definitely going to be moments where they play down to their competition 

I PERSONALLY think they’re still working out how to integrate Kessler and Jabari while not just being a standstill set offense. I feel like Kessler has had the best chemistry with Jabari, but I don’t think there’s yet a good feel for how to get him involved outside of the perimeter, specifically top of the key pick and pops. Which…they were open every time that was ran 

I think KD did a better job of keeping his head up as the game progressed, driving to get others involved. I think Zep is wayyy more of a 2 than a facilitator from my time of seeing him. The act of play making is going to have to be more of a team approach, and there were a few times (one magnificent one in particular that I hope was caught on film) where great ball movement occurred. 

Wendell has good hands on D, I think he could be like a Harper (eventually) where he’s a good IQ defender that just unfortunately has to gamble for steals bc he knows he’s about to get taken advantage of. He’ll work that out his system one way or the other. Zep and especially KD put an insane amount of pressure on the ball without even having to reach. the latter had a few Davion-esque plays where no matter where you go, you’re giving the ball up. Between that, Kessler’s rim protection, and the forwards hopefully staying in front of their man when we play real teams, this should be at minimum, a good defense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1