Been a while my thoughts

austudnt23

Harsin fired Cornelius Williams after only 4 games. The WR's have performed better than they did in the first 4 games but how much of that improvement is just because they've gotten more reps and experience? We've seen coordinators fired here in the middle of the season(Tony Franklin in 2008)but position coaches are usually given more time. The o-line coach that Florida fired 2 weeks ago along with the DC Todd Grantham had been the o-line coach at Florida since 2018.

IMO, Harsin is in over his head. He didn't hire a good staff in order to recruit at a top level. Chizik's 2010 class and Malzahn's 2014 class were both top 10 after their 1st full seasons. A few weeks ago we were 6-2 and ranked #13 before the A&M game but that didn't seem to help us in recruiting. Why is that? The 2022 class has been sitting in the 30's. Now that the losses are starting to pile up, it's going to be harder for us to finish strong with this class and move up into the top 20. There's a good chance we're going to be 6-6 or 7-5 next year. If our 2023 class isn't borderline top 10 then Harsin should be Moorheaded. Joe Moorhead wasn't a good fit at MSU and I don't think Harsin is going to be a good fit here unless he dramatically improves in recruiting, which is hard to see happening.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I just don’t Auburn to become another Tennessee, Texas or Nebraska. All these programs have been in 15 year funks with regular coaching changes and poor to mediocre records every season.

I could agree more fam. WDE!!!

6 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Harsin fired Cornelius Williams after only 4 games. The WR's have performed better than they did in the first 4 games but how much of that improvement is just because they've gotten more reps and experience? We've seen coordinators fired here in the middle of the season(Tony Franklin in 2008)but position coaches are usually given more time. The o-line coach that Florida fired 2 weeks ago along with the DC Todd Grantham had been the o-line coach at Florida since 2018.

IMO, Harsin is in over his head. He didn't hire a good staff in order to recruit at a top level. Chizik's 2010 class and Malzahn's 2014 class were both top 10 after their 1st full seasons. A few weeks ago we were 6-2 and ranked #13 before the A&M game but that didn't seem to help us in recruiting. Why is that? The 2022 class has been sitting in the 30's. Now that the losses are starting to pile up, it's going to be harder for us to finish strong with this class and move up into the top 20. There's a good chance we're going to be 6-6 or 7-5 next year. If our 2023 class isn't borderline top 10 then Harsin should be Moorheaded. Joe Moorhead wasn't a good fit at MSU and I don't think Harsin is going to be a good fit here unless he dramatically improves in recruiting, which is hard to see happening.

I can’t remember a coach coming in to Auburn and recruiting as poorly as Harsin in his first couple of years.  New coach has hope and security to sell.  That’s more concerning to me than the blown lead, GSU meltdown, or some of the boneheaded playcalls.  UF, LSU, and Clemson are all having down years…we need to be kicking butt.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I can’t remember a coach coming in to Auburn and recruiting as poorly as Harsin in his first couple of years.  New coach has hope and security to sell.  That’s more concerning to me than the blown lead, GSU meltdown, or some of the boneheaded playcalls.  UF, LSU, and Clemson are all having down years…we need to be kicking butt.

One year. One. 1. Uno. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Currently 33rd. Granted, last year we fell all the way to 48th and ended 19th. So it's possible we reach the top 20 which would count in my book as a successful class.

Also with silent commits, I just don't see the point in telling multiple schools you're committed. Look, some of them are might be immature kids who think it's funny but most of them are likely not like that I'd think.

I'm just going to hope for the best

23 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Compare him to Gus who took a db and should have won the title his first year.

Nick Marshall was never a DB.  He barely hit the field at Georgia.  He honed his QB skills at Garden City CC in Kansas.  Marshall fell into Gus's lap.  He wasn't highly recruited out of GCCC.  He agreed to play DB at the next level because no one thought he could make it as a QB.  Dumb move all around to try and make Marshall a DB.  Marshall came to Auburn and Rhett Lashley made him worse!  Marshall kick started Auburn from a 3-9 dumpster fire into a National Championship game which should have been won except for a terrible defense that year.  Our offense won by outscoring their opponents.  Funny thing is during Marshall's tenure there were still some AU fans wanting him replaced with Jeremey Johnson!  Some things never change with some AU fans.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I just don’t Auburn to become another Tennessee, Texas or Nebraska. All these programs have been in 15 year funks with regular coaching changes and poor to mediocre records every season.

Those schools have had consistent losing records too. Auburn hasn’t had that in a while. Nor do I think we will anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Doug he is Moorheaded (your term), he will have at least 2 years. The other major difference in my mind Moorhead was a HC at Fordham for 4 years before MSU. Not the same resume as Harsin.

14 hours ago, Didba said:

I have a feeling you thought Kodi Burns was a great hire.

Undoubtedly you don’t know much. I’m not a fan of hiring folks just because they are attached to AU somehow. I think we should hire the best qualified . If you were able to read you might have already known that. 🤔

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Undoubtedly you don’t know much. I’m not a fan of hiring folks just because they are attached to AU somehow. I think we should hire the best qualified . If you were able to read you might have already known that. 🤔

Lmao, the old if you could read line. Nice try bud.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Those schools have had consistent losing records too. Auburn hasn’t had that in a while. Nor do I think we will anytime soon. 

If we fire Harsin after his third year will anyone good want to come here?

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

If we fire Harsin after his third year will anyone good want to come here?

If you fire him after one year no good will come or it unless you have a home run hire . Why is that so hard to understand ? The next coach is going to want be paid handsomely with a huge buy out . Rightfully so. Auburn put themselves in this predicament .

1 minute ago, DAG said:

If you fire him after one year no good will come or it unless you have a home run hire . Why is that so hard to understand ? The next coach is going to want be paid handsomely with a huge buy out . Rightfully so. Auburn put themselves in this predicament .

I said THIRD.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I said THIRD.

If it’s justifiable do it. Who gives a crap. If it justifiable now , do it whatever , but make a freaking home run hire. I am tired of this school playing it safe all the time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

If it’s justifiable do it. Who gives a crap. If it justifiable now , do it whatever , but make a freaking home run hire. I am tired of this school playing it safe all the time. 

I mean you were right in your first post. If we fire him after his first year in which he got us to a bowl then we'd be lucky to get the AHS coach.

But that brings us to why we hired him in the first place. The mods here claim we never offered him, but we may have not felt confident about our ability to get him, and that there was talk about this indicates we were looking first--I am of course referring to my "man crush" Napier. So if we couldn't get the coach at Louisiana-Lafayette, what does that say?

With Cristobal--if we would've gotten him if not for the Big Beer, then that's very reassuring. But what if not? I would rather have Pittman, Leach, Beamer, even Kiffin (despite their recruiting rankings--I wonder if recruits think he's going somewhere else) than Harsin right now. All four of those guys are at programs that at least in theory should be inferior jobs to us. Can we land someone as good as those guys in the seemingly likely event we move on in after 2023? Look at Tennessee after they fired Dooley. All they could get was a mediocre (at best) Cincy coach. They could get no one. Are we really dependent on Lord Farquad hanging it up to get someone decent?

Now, after they fired Butch, they could've had Schiano (who's made Rutgers--a team that for the four years before he returned there was just as bad as Kansas--competent again) or Leach. So as big a mess as that search was, they showed they were capable of getting a decent coach.

Edited by AUwent

18 hours ago, cbo said:

It’s not going to be good this year. We better kill it in the transfer portal. 

This is the part about Harsin that worries me the most. You can’t build a program out of the portal. We are getting left behind in recruiting and the infusion of Oklahoma and Texas into the league is only going to make things more difficult. Recruiting is the game, folks. That’s the prerequisite for winning consistently in this league. If Harsin can’t do it, then we won’t get better, don’t care how well he develops. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DAG said:

I disappear from threads but I am here every day and every week lol. The same guy who said we would be Tennessee right now lmao.

See, there you are with another lie. What I said was that the odds favor us becoming another Tennessee with regard to going though several coaches before we hit on one that stays. Those odds haven't changed. Is "right now" an intentional lie on your part, or is your ability to comprehend the written word that poor?

On 11/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, austudnt23 said:

First why are we not using Ranes etc big time money to score kids in recruiting. In regards to NIL A&M is using it well. Do they not want to back Harsin led program?

Rane and Harbert are two of the richest people in Alabama, and the two richest with a connection to a university in Alabama.

The way you leverage NIL with recruits is to point to current players NIL contracts.

Clever, highly visible NIL deals are intended to sway recruiting.

Tim Cook is CEO of the most valuable company in the history of humankind. He could create a handful of NIL deals for Apple with some major schools. Imagine NCAA athletes promoting the fitness aspects of the Apple Watch.

We should have an assistant AD who’s sole purpose is to market Auburn as an ideal NIL target.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

well i had just read where he had been run off once so i went into defense mode. if i read it wrong i apologize. but if YOU were wrong would you do the same for me? just curious. also why would bowden try to get a fan site shutdown?  that is some of the craziest stuff i have ever heard. and no i am not accusing you of anything i would just love to know what happened.

I would do the same for anyone, and have in the past. 

You kind of had to be around in 1998 to get what happened with the original Eagle, which is what I thought you were talking about. It's been almost 24 years, but what I remember:

1. Recruiting sites then were a new, novel thing and not nearly as important as they are now. ITAT, for example, was still just a magazine and a pay-per-call service. Their forum was in its infancy. It may not have even existed yet. 

2. The site owner of the Recruiting Eagle was an AU employee, whose identity was not a well-kept secret, so Bowden knew where to find him. 

3. The RE was rightfully critical of Bowden's recruiting and the way he ran the program, with many direct anecdotes posted like the fact that Bowden hardly knew any of the players' names. 

4. The RE was about the only source of this info for the fans and alums, and things were heating up for Bowden because of it. Back then, private things like Bowden skirt-chasing on campus and supposedly with an influential alum's daughter (Lowder's? I don't remember) stayed private, until the advent of social media made nothing private anymore. The RE was the leading edge of that, and Bowden thought if he shut one site down, it would all go away. 

5. So, all that to say, the RE wasn't making hardly any $, if any at all, and Bowden put on heavy pressure through the administration on the AU employee to shut it down, and it was shut down. Most of us went over to ITAT, a few to the Bunker, etc, all of which were either started right around the demise of RE of because of it to fill the gap. 

By the time Bowden quit mid-season, the damage was done. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

Rane and Harbert are two of the richest people in Alabama, and the two richest with a connection to a university in Alabama.

The way you leverage NIL with recruits is to point to current players NIL contracts.

Clever, highly visible NIL deals are intended to sway recruiting.

Tim Cook is CEO of the most valuable company in the history of humankind. He could create a handful of NIL deals for Apple with some major schools. Imagine NCAA athletes promoting the fitness aspects of the Apple Watch.

We should have an assistant AD who’s sole purpose is to market Auburn as an ideal NIL target.

Tim Cook will likely never do any truly big deals with AU. He would put too many strings on them around politically charged issues for AU to ever agree. Agree with everything else. 

19 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Given who they were able to get after Moorhead I hope the comparison is accurate.

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Currently 33rd. Granted, last year we fell all the way to 48th and ended 19th. So it's possible we reach the top 20 which would count in my book as a successful class

Don't see us having a top 100 fall into our laps bc Tenn or someone fired their coach.  That's pretty much saved our class ranking