Best SEC QB by year's end?

quietfan

I've been thinking a bit about how the season of so many of the top SEC teams will depend on how their quarterback situation settles out: Can Shockley come through at Georgia? How long will it take Brandon Cox to grow up at Auburn? Will there be a QB competition /controversy at LSU? Can Brodie stay healthy and get enough protection from his young line to have his first full season as a starter for Bama?... I guess of the top SEC contenders, only Chris Leak at Florida is considered a sure thing. So my question:

At the end of the year, who will have emerged as the top QB in the SEC for the season? ...and why?

I've been thinking a bit about how the season of so many of the top SEC teams will depend on how their quarterback situation settles out:  Can Shockley come through at Georgia?  How long will it take  Brandon Cox to grow up at Auburn?  Will there be a QB competition /controversy at LSU?  Can Brodie stay healthy and get enough protection from his young line to have his first full season as a starter for Bama?... I guess of the top SEC contenders, only Chris Leak at Florida is considered a sure thing.  So my question:

At the end of the year, who will have emerged as the top QB in the SEC for the season?  ...and why?

168440[/snapback]

Leak....I mean cmon...His offense is going to AIR AIR and AIR it up!

Guest Tigrinum Major

I agree with ya, Vatz. Also remember that the QB in Meyer's system is athletic and called upon to run the option a good bit also. If Leak stays healthy (I sound like a Bama fan), he should be a major pro prospect by the end of the year.

Croyle has a shot at breaking the Bama season and career passing records (they really aren't that impressive, but still...), so I think he will have a big year, with the usual caveat.

I want Cox to be steady, never flashy or putting up gaudy numbers. That lets me know that the TEAM is doing what they are supposed to be doing...running, possession passing and wreaking havoc on defense.

It's gonna be Brodie because Brodie is Brodie and he is the savior at qb for Alabama which means he has to follow in the footsteps of Freddie Kitchens and Tyler Watts. Actually it is gonna be Chris Leak, with Urban calling the shots and Leak being the focal point of the offense, his numbers are gonna be :blink: . But he has to stay healthy, (that does sound Bammerish).

Leak, Leak, and more Leak. Vandy's got a good one but no team around him. Shockley may "shock" some folks. Cox just needs to be steady and make good decisions. :au:

good question. i'd have to say Leak too. i'm interested to see LSU's QB situation too. just to see if Mr. 'I am the Savior of LSU football' Ryan PeriLEAUX (sp? :P ) gets put in his place.

Yea, gotta' go with Leak. I'm interested to see what Ainge will do with a full season. He may put up some sick numbers.

I'd put Brodie in the mix if there weren't so many questions about the line and running game (Darby and Castille?)

Another guy I think is a year away and may be something special by years end, which is the thread question, is Ethan Flatt of Ole Miss. He looked good in the games I saw in mop up against Bama and some of the throws he made against AU.

good question.  i'd have to say Leak too.  i'm interested to see LSU's QB situation too.  just to see if Mr. 'I am the Savior of LSU football' Ryan PeriLEAUX (sp?  :P ) gets put in his place.

168481[/snapback]

Ryan Perrilloux will not start for LSU. It will be JaMarcus Russell then Matt Flynn then R.P. If either J.R. or M.F. faulter then you may see R.P.

I've been keep up with Louisiana fb recruits since 1990 and I can say hands down I haven't seen one better. When my father-in-law called me and said you need to come see an East St. John's game to watch the Perrilloux kid (2 years ago), I was blown away and that is saying alot. Until then, Kevin Faulk (All-time SEC all-purpose yard leader and 3 time Superbowl champion) and Cecil Collins (waste of God given talent and inmate of Florida Correctional) were the 2 best and they can't hold R.P.'s jock. We'll see if he pans out but some publications had R.P. regarded as the best high school prospect since John Elway.

Thanks LSU, I hadn't heard the Elway part for Perriloux. I knew Russell was guy going in since Randall left. I don't care what school the kid went to, even if he went to AU, his cockiness would bother me. But then again, he's just a kid. If he is as good as advertised, it should be interesting.

Seeing how Leak is the most likely answer, I'm going out on the limb to pick two others...

1) JaMarcus Russell, mainly on the fact that Miles retained Jimbo Fisher and he's done a great job developing QB's.

2) Brodie Croyle, mainly because of the experience factor. This will be his 3rd year in Shula's offense and he appeared to be on his way to a great season before he was injured in 2004.

2) Brodie Croyle, mainly because of the experience factor. This will be his 3rd year in Shula's offense and he appeared to be on his way to a great season before he was injured in 2004.

168591[/snapback]

I'd hope alot of qbs can be on their way to great seasons playing their first 3 games with these teams:

1. Utah State (3-8)

2. Ole Miss (4-7)

3. Western Carolina (4-7)

:big:

RP knocked out my HS from the playoffs last year so I talked to a few kids on the team. Seems they had never played a kid like this before. But they also said that outside of throwing the ball ridiculously far (and accurate for that matter) that he still struggled to connect consistently on the mid-range throws across the middle and what not.

That was their plan on stopping him....but his legs just killed them. One drive had RP running every play in circles around the kids.

RP could one day be great but he has a lot to learn throwing the ball....ala Vince Young

I still hold on that Sharone Carey was the single greatest football player I had ever seen (High School wise) at Shaw HS.

Wow he was just jaw-dropping insane

A N Y school that is forced to start a pure freshman qb is in trouble. I do not care how "good" they are, experience is everything. (See UT's daring duo of '04)

Ainge is a talent and could be a great one by the end of his career at UT, but I'm tired of seeing his parents on tv all the time. Flatt at Ole Miss surprised me at how good he is but I was also surprised at how badly the coaching staff fubar'ed the qb situation, I still can't figure out why they kept putting Spurlock in the games. Cutler is a good steady qb stuck with a very bad team.

A N Y  school that is forced to start a pure freshman qb is in trouble. I do not care how "good" they are, experience is everything. (See UT's daring duo of '04)

168660[/snapback]

I dont know what A NY school has to do with this but here's my 2 cents.

Well Tim you know I am from NY and I have to disagree.

While we are very good in many sports (lte's go METS), college footbal is not one of them and IMHO a good freshman at let's say Hofstra or even Syracuse has a good chance of starting and doing well.

:poke::D

A N Y  school that is forced to start a pure freshman qb is in trouble. I do not care how "good" they are, experience is everything. (See UT's daring duo of '04)

168660[/snapback]

Trouble??? Didn't UT finish 10-3 last year? :blink: Plus Ainge has almost a year of experience under his belt. Nice kind of trouble to be in... :rolleyes:

Ahhh, Ever the eternal optimist raven. So, you think we are in GREAT shape with BC at the qb position? I hope he will develop, and I feel certain he has the talent to be a very good SEC qb, but he is a redshirt Soph.(which means he has been on campus for three years.) BIG difference than asking a 18-19 yr old freshman to guide an SEC team.

p.s. By seasons end, neither of the two freshmen were under center for TN.

Granted it was due to injury, but, I beleive that would have been the case without injury. Anyway, that is my opinion. :au:

168660[/snapback]

I dont know what A NY school has to do with this but here's my 2 cents.

Well Tim you know I am from NY and I have to disagree.

While we are very good in many sports (lte's go METS), college footbal is not one of them and IMHO a good freshman at let's say Hofstra or even Syracuse has a good chance of starting and doing well.

:poke::D

168743[/snapback]

Since 9/11, I have considered myself a New Yorker as well. :D

My point is that, well, Jason Campbell GREW into one heck of a good SEC qb. As a matter of fact, he is one of the BEST to ever wear the Orange and Blue. But, that could not be said of him as a freshman. He had to grow and learn. Some things can be taught. Others must be learned on the field.

Ahhh, Ever the eternal optimist raven. So, you think we are in GREAT shape with BC at the qb position? I hope he will develop, and I feel certain he has the talent to be a very good SEC qb, but he is a redshirt Soph.(which means he has been on campus for three years.) BIG difference than asking a 18-19 yr old freshman to guide an SEC team.

p.s. By seasons end, neither of the two freshmen were under center for TN.

Granted it was due to injury, but, I beleive that would have been the case without injury. Anyway, that is my opinion. :au:

168803[/snapback]

I have confidence in BC and Borges. You should too. Try to be a little more positive. :cheer:

:au:

Ainge looked GREAT for being a True Fresh.... He will be the man going into this year. I believe he has the most talent than anyone in the conference. There is NO WAY he would have benched without his injury...

BC is a different situation, he has had 3 years to take in and study college football. He is much farther along mentally and physically than lets say a True Fresh or Soph. for that matter. He should be able to step right in.

I beleieve BC will becom the QB we are all hoping for. He certainly has all the weapons.

WE

I beleieve BC will becom the QB we are all hoping for. He certainly has all the weapons.

168909[/snapback]

Is that BC as in Brandon Cox? Then I hope so, too, and agree that he can be great in time.

BC as in Brodie Croyle has already become the QB I was hoping for at Bama--the ineffective messiah of a losing program! :big:

Archived