Daren Bates on Tank running out of bounds

Tiger

Yes, Tank was trying to get the first down. I can understand that, but no, I'm not going to go as far as thanking him for fighting until he was thrown out of bounds. It was still a mistake.

Battle knew in the moment that his primary goal was to get Tank out of bounds, even if he sacrificed making the tackle in the attempt. That was the right play. Tank's primary goal should have been to get the first down, if possible, without going out of bounds. This should have been drilled into him from the sidelines and from the QB.

There absolutely were other plays in the game that cost us first downs or stopped the clock, so I agree that losing the game wasn't Tank's fault. Bama still had to drive 97 against our defense in the final 1:20. 40 less seconds would have made it more difficult, but they would have called different plays, so we can't say we win because they scored with only 24 seconds on the clock. Gary Danielson went overboard in his blaming Tank for that play, and some of our fans have done the same, but that does not discount that it was a mistake--he should have went down.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

Battle knew in the moment that his primary goal was to get Tank out of bounds

Excellent point. Their player knew what to do. Why didn't ours? It's worth being discussed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

Yes, Tank was trying to get the first down. I can understand that, but no, I'm not going to go as far as thanking him for fighting until he was thrown out of bounds. It was still a mistake.

Battle knew in the moment that his primary goal was to get Tank out of bounds, even if he sacrificed making the tackle in the attempt. That was the right play. Tank's primary goal should have been to get the first down, if possible, without going out of bounds. This should have been drilled into him from the sidelines and from the QB.

There absolutely were other plays in the game that cost us first downs or stopped the clock, so I agree that losing the game wasn't Tank's fault. Bama still had to drive 97 against our defense in the final 1:20. 40 less seconds would have made it more difficult, but they would have called different plays, so we can't say we win because they scored with only 24 seconds on the clock. Gary Danielson went overboard in his blaming Tank for that play, and some of our fans have done the same, but that does not discount that it was a mistake--he should have went down.

That’s the problem had he fell down. No one knows how the punt may have went. all the that changes it . Maybe the punt goes into the end zone 

Edited by e808

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

That’s the problem had he fell down. No one knows how the punt may have went all the that changes it . Maybe the punt goes into the end zone 

Nobody knows how the 3rd down call would've gone, either. All we do know is that there would've been a hell of a lot less time on the clock for bama to win. Tank's mistake made their job easier and it's one of the reasons we lost. It just is and I'm not sure why folks keep trying to make it not so. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nobody knows how the 3rd down call would've gone, either. All we do know is that there would've been a hell of a lot less time on the clock for bama to win. Tank's mistake made their job easier and it's one of the reasons we lost. It just is and I'm not sure why folks keep trying to make it not so. 

If u think Auburn passes the ball there and think Tank lost the game that’s your prerogative. Less time or not there still was enough time to score.
Again there are so many scenarios that could have played out in or out of bounds. 

The clear answer is get a first down and the game is over. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Except it wasn't merely a decision between getting a first down and not getting a first down. It was a decision between staying inbound or going out of bounds. He made the wrong decision. The clear answer is that leaving that time on the clock made it much easier for Alabama to score.

As for misrepresenting the points that I have made excruciatingly clear, I see now that you are not trying to have an honest conversation about this. Your motivation is anybody's guess.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

If u think Auburn passes the ball there and think Tank lost the game that’s your prerogative. Less time or not there still was enough time to score.
Again there are so many scenarios that could have played out in or out of bounds. 

What was even more clear was they would be blitzing EVERYBODY into the middle of that line. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, some of y'all need to quit acting like he only came up an inch short. The dude was a full two yards short of the first down. Ask Mike Bobo and our offensive line how much those two yards meant and how far short of a first down he really was. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Excellent point. Their player knew what to do. Why didn't ours? It's worth being discussed. 

Our wr coach was fired.....this board was mostly happy about it. But we don't even supposed to discuss this? Very weird

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, some of y'all need to quit acting like he only came up an inch short. The dude was a full two yards short of the first down. Ask Mike Bobo and our offensive line how much those two yards meant and how far short of a first down he really was. 

The issue is u assuming the defense stops them. None of us even know where Bama starts from which makes a big difference in the play calling. After Bama got from the shadow of the end zone Auburn didn’t bring the same pressure

Just now, cole256 said:

Our wr coach was fired.....this board was mostly happy about it. But we don't even supposed to discuss this? Very weird

Maaaan, I'd kill to hear Harsin's honest take on it. 

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I wasn’t it didn’t make sense to me.

Auburn had two opportunities to at least get a chance at points in which they didn’t. Tank  not getting  down is a small piece to the puzzle but I guess he is the sole reason Auburn lost 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What was even more clear was they would be blitzing EVERYBODY into the middle of that line. 

And clearly we found out later TJ could still throw. 1 slant on that all out blitz, game.  But we had 6 different chances or so to ice it.  Game is on everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, e808 said:

The issue is u assuming the defense stops them. None of us even know where Bama starts from which makes a big difference in the play calling. After Bama got from the shadow of the end zone Auburn didn’t bring the same pressure

You're killing me dude. I'm not assuming anything other than it's easier to go the length of the field- or 80 yards- with twice as much time. Someone wouldn't have to have ever even heard of football to understand this but you are pretending not to. Again, your motivation is anyone's guess.

And please stop with this "I guess it's all Tank's fault" BS. Literally nobody has said that and you know it. It's embarrassing.

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

there were lots of forces at play, ALL AT THE SAME TIME.  

• - Tank and most RBs have it in their DNA to work and toil and get those yards.   
    • It's kinda hard to say, "go fight, scratch and claw to get the yards, but if you come up short, sit down so you don't get out of bounds."
      • That message is contradictory to say the least. 
  • It appears to me, as he is being tackled out of bounds/at the boundary, he is trying to get the ball to touch in bounds - but there is no chance.
    • This indicates he did hear that message ....I feel he was making that effort.   The man is programmed to run and get yardage.   Hard for a bunch of "if then" considerations going on while a play is underway and he can see the marker just in front of him.  
  • Now Tank is what, 5'11" or 6'0"?   With a twist and a tug or a shove, he is about loose and can fall backwards or lunge fwd and he gets that first down maybe.  

How many times this year have we seen a back have one guy on them and they spin and get another 1-3 yards?   Multiple times each game.   

Now if we want to second guess something, why was TJ in the game while hurt that bad?   Was D Davis broken?  At least D David could have run the wildcat (that dude can motor) or I would be fine with a direct snap to Tank and put in another TE -    I think we made the same mistake not pulling TJ as we did with not pulling Bo.    At that juncture, any other personnel pkg than the one with TJ.

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Now if we want to second guess something

As I've said countless times in this thread, there are a ton of things to second guess. Tank failing to stay in bounds is one of them.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You're killing me dude. I'm not assuming anything other than it's easier to go the length of the field- or 80 yards- with twice as much time. Someone wouldn't have to have ever even heard of football to understand this but you are pretending not to. Again, your motivation is anyone's guess.

And please stop with this "I guess it's all Tank's fault" BS. Literally nobody has said that and you know it. It's embarrassing.

It's also easier to get 2 yards on 2 tries. Which Tank put us in, had he not bounced to the outside we would have been in 3rd and long and Bama uses their last timeout. Then we eat 40 extra seconds off the clock and give the ball back to Bama. That's the situation people seem to have wanted, to have 40 less seconds for Bama to work with. The point I and others are simply trying to say is the chances of winning are 99.9% if you get the first down. Since Tank almost got that by bouncing a stuffed play outside. He increased our chances a ton to put the game away by now having it 3rd and 2 with 2 attempts to get 2 damn yards.

A good coach would see that as a great opportunity to seal the deal knowing you run a sneak twice or anything other than the run play that what was called to get 2 freaking yards on 2 attempts. Your chances decrease a lot if you give the damn ball back to Bama. Giving the ball back to Bama should have been the last thing you want to do no matter what time is left on the clock. I like the chances of the opposing team not scoring when they don't have the ball.

Edited by clwn

1 hour ago, clwn said:

That's the situation people seem to have wanted, to have 40 less seconds for Bama to work with. 

Yes, because we probably would have won. Instead, Tank tried something with extremely low probability of working and, shocker, it didn't work. Literally nobody misunderstands what he was trying to do or what it would have accomplished. But he didn't do it and the consequences were dire. 

Everyone understands your point. It's just wrong. 99% of the people who choose this sport as a profession in any capacity understand the situation, including the NFL player in the OP. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seriously? Tank has known that since 6th grade. It's over and done but get outta here with that nonsense. Players screw up sometimes. It's not always the coaches' fault. It was just a bad time for it to happen. There were plenty of other plays thoughout the game that contributed to the loss, but this one was in crunch time. It just happens sometimes. Tank made a snap judgment like he has to make, and he just happened to be wrong. Probably won't be the last time.

Edited by boisnumber1

1 hour ago, clwn said:

It's also easier to get 2 yards on 2 tries. Which Tank put us in, had he not bounced to the outside we would have been in 3rd and long and Bama uses their last timeout. Then we eat 40 extra seconds off the clock and give the ball back to Bama. That's the situation people seem to have wanted, to have 40 less seconds for Bama to work with. The point I and others are simply trying to say is the chances of winning are 99.9% if you get the first down. Since Tank almost got that by bouncing a stuffed play outside. He increased our chances a ton to put the game away by now having it 3rd and 2 with 2 attempts to get 2 damn yards.

A good coach would see that as a great opportunity to seal the deal knowing you run a sneak twice or anything other than the run play that what was called to get 2 freaking yards on 2 attempts. Your chances decrease a lot if you give the damn ball back to Bama. Giving the ball back to Bama should have been the last thing you want to do no matter what time is left on the clock. I like the chances of the opposing team not scoring when they don't have the ball.

Can’t speak for anyone, but the point is that it wasn’t a good play.   Was it the sole reason Auburn lost the game, that’s stupid for anyone to say.   It was one of many plays that cost Auburn.   People on here have stated that Tank was trying to get a first down and it was the correct play.   Ask any coach if it was a smart play, they will say he should have stayed in bounds.   

Also, we had less than 160 yards of total offense in the (4 OT) game. We had 22 yards rushing. We had a backup QB on one leg.

Exactly why do any of you think 3rd and 2 with 40 extra seconds on the clock was a better scenario?? 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

it's easier to go the length of the field- or 80 yards- with twice as much time.

And the timeout that was saved. The combination of extra time, a timeout still in the pocket, and a three-man rush/soft defense……😞

• Like 1