Opt Outs

Brad_ATX

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I hope folks are watching the Sugar Bowl.  Matt Corrall is on crutches after an injury.  Depending on how bad it is, could hurt his draft stock and cost him millions.

This is a prime example of why we should never get upset when kids opt out of non-playoff games.

Hope the kid is OK.

Dude is a baller. Read something where he didn’t want to bail on his teammates. Hopefully he’s ok but this is easy in hindsight. Super competitive people like that don’t second guess things if I had to guess. 

Players can up their stock or get hurt and then who knows. 

People can opt out or not. I think it’s a dumb hill to die on regardless of where you fall.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is a prime example of why we should never get upset when kids opt out of non-playoff games.

Glad Kirk Herbstreet is getting killed on twitter for his comments yesterday or earlier today.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If it was bad enough to drop his draft stock, he'd likely be in an aircast at minimum. Not going to cost him anything meaningful. Kid wanted to play with his teammates one more time. Some things can't have a $ value assigned to them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

He got hurt early in the season and left during our game because of his ankle...his stock will not be effected because of his ankle injury...it will be other 'things' that will effect his draft status....I just wonder how many who have opt out or declare early end up on a NFL roster next season????

11 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

If it was bad enough to drop his draft stock, he'd likely be in an aircast at minimum. Not going to cost him anything meaningful. Kid wanted to play with his teammates one more time. Some things can't have a $ value assigned to them. 

Ask Jaylon Smith if, in hindsight, he would rather have played that 2016 Fiesta Bowl or $20M more in his bank account thanks to his injury.  Torn ACL in that game cost him at least that much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I hope folks are watching the Sugar Bowl.  Matt Corrall is on crutches after an injury.  Depending on how bad it is, could hurt his draft stock and cost him millions.

Hope the kid is OK.

This 100%. Bowls mean nothing unless it’s the playoffs . Zero . Couldn’t agree more . And hope Corral is 💯 by draft evaluations 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This 100%. Bowls mean nothing unless it’s the playoffs . Zero . Couldn’t agree more . And hope Corral is 💯 by draft evaluations 

So if your team has 2 losses should opt out of rest of season then? I hate to see any injury but an ACL is a year in the mend and that can happen any time during season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ask Jaylon Smith if, in hindsight, he would rather have played that 2016 Fiesta Bowl or $20M more in his bank account thanks to his injury.  Torn ACL in that game cost him at least that much.

FWIW, Jaylon was asked that very question and his response was he had no regrets. (Link below). I think 2 things can be true here. You are correct that we shouldn’t criticize these young men for their decisions. I know I don’t. But factually, there are very few cases that don't end up working out pretty well for the injured player. Jaylon lost some money initially, but is enjoying a great pro bowl career and is no doubt a millionaire. Willis McGahee experienced a devastating knee injury in his final bowl game at Miami but went on to a very lucrative 10 year NFL career. So I don’t get upset over those who opt out at all. But I respect those who choose to play like Jaylon. He knew he chose a dangerous sport, and put his body on the line for this team. Also interesting in this discussion, there are actually some cases of guys skipping their bowl game, then getting injured preparing for the combine and dropping their draft status. Bottom line for me, it is a risky sport and each player has to assess his own situation. I respect whichever way they go. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jaylon-smith-doesnt-regret-playing-in-bowl-game-that-led-to-devastating-injury/

• Like 6
  • Love 2

The Ole Miss backup quarterback is looking impressive, especially since he had to come in cold and figured before the game he’d see little to no action. Dropped a perfect deep pass to a receiver to tie the game up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

The Ole Miss backup quarterback is looking impressive, especially since he had to come in cold and figured before the game he’d see little to no action. Dropped a perfect deep pass to a receiver to tie the game up.

He’s a really good kid, and a good QB. Big game for him to get his feet wet. I wish him the best in every game in the future minus the Auburn game. 

Edited by aubie57
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aubie57 said:

He’s a really good kid, and a good QB. Big game for him to get his feet wet. I wish him the best in every game in the future minus the Auburn game. 

I agree. He’s continuing to make clutch throws, I hope he’s able to lead them to a win.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

So if your team has 2 losses should opt out of rest of season then? I hate to see any injury but an ACL is a year in the mend and that can happen any time during season.

For some elite first round cfb players. Maybe , probably. Each situation is different. Injuries can happen anytime. You are correct. 

50 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Players who wish to opt out should do so but damn this is depressing. Bowl season as a whole used to be a big freaking deal. This is part of why I hate the playoff era so much.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Players who wish to opt out should do so but damn this is depressing. Bowl season as a whole used to be a big freaking deal. This is part of why I hate the playoff era so much.

Yep getting invited to a bowl game used to be a big deal to players and fans. The playoff has killed bowl games.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Dude is a baller. Read something where he didn’t want to bail on his teammates. Hopefully he’s ok but this is easy in hindsight. Super competitive people like that don’t second guess things if I had to guess. 

Players can up their stock or get hurt and then who knows. 

People can opt out or not. I think it’s a dumb hill to die on regardless of where you fall.

IF this costs Corral milliions, you don't think he will second guess his decision?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerPAC said:

Just to be on the flip side, once someone is “established” as a 1st rounder, say game 8 or 9, why play rest of the season?   

This isn't aimed directly at you because several have expressed the same sentiment. 

But the reason to keep playing after 8 or 9 games is because it still affects the outcome of the regular season, which is the most important thing to the vast majority of college football teams, who won't make the playoffs. Rivalry games and conference games are always important. They are played in front of fired up home crowds, who care deeply. 

Also, it is accepted by NFL scouts that players will sit out a meaningless bowl. It is not accepted to sit out the end of the season. Professional norms matter. 

The same people who complain about football players making poor decisions with money also say things like "you can't put a value on playing with your team one more time."

It continues to astonish me how little some people care about the human beings that provide them with so much entertainment. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

He got hurt early in the season and left during our game because of his ankle...his stock will not be effected because of his ankle injury...it will be other 'things' that will effect his draft status....I just wonder how many who have opt out or declare early end up on a NFL roster next season????

This is one of many injuries for him. He is very frail for a "top QB" and these injuries will absolutely spook some teams. People just say "oh it's probably not serious he'll be back healthy before the draft" but the real issue is what this perceived durability concerns are going to be. 

It’s a personal choice each player makes. I won’t slam someone for opting out. But I have more respect for the guys that finish the season with their team. Life is full of risks. It’s also a series of commitments. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hope the kid is OK.

Ohio State’s Olave’ opts out. Smith-Njigba goes off for a record setting 347 receiving yards.

• Like 2

I understand both sides of this issue but In 5 years is a fan going to remember who opted out of a bowl game? If you do then you are way more invested in Auburn football than I am. I appreciated Smoke playing but I can respect McClain, McCreary and Hamm's decision to opt out. We might have won if they had played but they might have lost more individually. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Ohio State’s Olave’ opts out. Smith-Njigba goes off for a record setting 347 receiving yards.

I saw most of it and was in awe and pissed off at the same time.  In awe at his talent and pissed off we never seem to have a WR that explosive and making plays on our teams.  

• Like 1