New QB Robby Ashford

Tony4AU

10 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

FWIW, his first game as a HS starter was a woodshed beating of a Bo Nix-led Pinson Valley team. 

That means both teams had strong running games

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That means both teams had strong running games

I think I understand what you’re alluding to. He’s very athletically gifted but has some questionable, at best, mechanics? In the highlight video there’s a lot of instances of backfoot and poor frame throws. They were completed passes but I’m sure it’s not something that high level college coaches would prefer.

35 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I think I understand what you’re alluding to. He’s very athletically gifted but has some questionable, at best, mechanics? In the highlight video there’s a lot of instances of backfoot and poor frame throws. They were completed passes but I’m sure it’s not something that high level college coaches would prefer.

Which QB you talking about?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Which QB you talking about?

Ashford. There’s several throws in the video that are from the back foot and from a poor frame. I’m super excited to have him at AUburn and I believe Davis and BH can mold him into a great QB.  He’s tall and has a cannon for an arm along with great running abilities. AUburn is fortunate to have him. He just needs polishing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I can tell you one thing. If Ashford had signed with Malzahn out of high school, this board would have LOVED him. 

Then probably hated him b/c he would never been developed 

8 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Ashford. There’s several throws in the video that are from the back foot and from a poor frame. I’m super excited to have him at AUburn and I believe Davis and BH can mold him into a great QB.  He’s tall and has a cannon for an arm along with great running abilities. AUburn is fortunate to have him. He just needs polishing. 

99.9% of HS QBs have bad mechanics.  Not too worried about that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Wow! Didnt see this comming.  Welcome to Auburn University and I wish you the best. Wonder how many or who will actually come out of Spring as our Quarterback contenders?

Seems like it could be almost any of them, right? Should be fun.

A lot of the experts on here, should be in coaching, especially in developing "good mechanics", in quarterbacks. I love the "good mechanics", guys. LOL. If we could just make sure that our developing qb's, never, and I mean never, throw off the back foot. 🤣 

Edited by Farmer Brown
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I think they land with Calzada to begin with in August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I think they said similar about Patrick Mahomes coming out of HS. Rivals 3*. Rated 5.7. (3 offers: Texas Tech, Rice, Houston). Not comparing the 2. Just saying. wde

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I miss the good Celtics. Love JT, JB, and Pritchard is a good piece but….😿

JT and JB need to learn how to pass the ball and get their teammates involved. I’m sick of ISO ball when they’re not that great at it. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Is he going to be playing baseball too?  Anyone know?

No baseball his first year in. he's committed to only Football this coming season. I think HArsin demanded that.

His baseball talent is just as raw, from what I understand. Just very athletic outfielder...

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

99.9% of HS QBs have bad mechanics.  Not too worried about that.

exactly. Look at Bo. Father is ex QB, his position and HC, and probably sent him to a 100 QB camps. 

Comes to AU with still flaws in his delivery, footwork, and decision making, until year 3 with a little progress finally.

It just a matter of when or if the QB has the light turn on. 

I will say this, I like Bo for his athletic gifts, and his ability to never give up, but I would rahter have a QB manager, like Calzada who shows more passing skills and mental decision making that a QB needs to make plays.

yes, he has flaws too, but maybe it's easier to TEACH him, and Harsin has shown he can make a QB better, if at least a little bit.

• Like 4

Seems to me, this transfer means some stuff. Finley is unlikely to transfer, but I think signing Ashford is a commentary on what Harsin thinks about Davis or expects from him.

Also, seems no reason to assume who Harsin projects to start. This guy has 4 years ahead of him. Calzada doesn't. So who knows?

12 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Seems to me, this transfer means some stuff. Finley is unlikely to transfer, but I think signing Ashford is a commentary on what Harsin thinks about Davis or expects from him.

Also, seems no reason to assume who Harsin projects to start. This guy has 4 years ahead of him. Calzada doesn't. So who knows?

well as titan likes to say on here when one of us gets in the dog house......."try harder". this is the message harsin is sending to the qb room. we get a better starter out of this and a better backup as well. add the nfl qb coach. i have not given up on DD like a lot of folks appear to have. i think he improves the qb room as a whole. so now we have what will probably be a much better starting qb and a much better backup as well. and as for tj i hope that if he does not pan out maybe they give him a chance as a coach of some kind. he certainly seems smart enough and i think he earned it. he is smart and humble and spends more time in the film room than the others which was stated on here in an article posted. i know it is not happening but i hope everyone comes out a winner somehow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

No baseball his first year in. he's committed to only Football this coming season. I think HArsin demanded that.

His baseball talent is just as raw, from what I understand. Just very athletic outfielder...

Perfect Game had him 1-1 in the 2020 Alabama high school class.  If I were recruiting QB prospects I'd want a baseball dual sport kid (preferably SS, but OF would be a close second).  I'm betting Butch is having discussions with Hars soon.

https://www.mlb.com/video/2020-draft-robby-ashford-of

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I think they land with Calzada to begin with in August.

Perhaps. If Ashford gets another year of growth he’ll be a 3rd year QB and have some teaching/experience with Davis/BH. 

IMO, this means TJ is gone, just not sure when.  I'd expect next year to go: 1. Calzada, a toss up between Geriner and Ashford for #2. 

No clue what happens with DD, but since we lost 5 straight games, mostly due to inept offense, and he didn't sniff the field, I don't see him contributing anywhere for a long time.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

IMO, this means TJ is gone, just not sure when.  I'd expect next year to go: 1. Calzada, a toss up between Geriner and Ashford for #2. 

No clue what happens with DD, but since we lost 5 straight games, mostly due to inept offense, and he didn't sniff the field, I don't see him contributing anywhere for a long time.

TJ should probably leave. He should go to a G5 school and get some meaningful playing time. He’s not an SEC starter. His size is awesome though. Maybe he could do something one day. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm not sure I really see TJ leaving, especially to a G5 school.  He could stay around, learn for another year or two, continue to develop, be the backup, and have a chance to compete as a RS Jr in 2024.  He was effectively a TrFr this year, can still RS one of the next two, and potentially be a 2 year starter.

That might change if he's behind Geriner after spring

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure I really see TJ leaving, especially to a G5 school.  He could stay around, learn for another year or two, continue to develop, be the backup, and have a chance to compete as a RS Jr in 2024.  He was effectively a TrFr this year, can still RS one of the next two, and potentially be a 2 year starter.

That might change if he's behind Geriner after spring

I think that depends on the pecking order coming out of spring. If they want someone to move on they will undoubtedly indicate that.