Men vs Mizzou Game Thread

Maverick.AU

That's some god awful shooting right there. Glad we won ... oh wait that's Arizona's box score.

Glad we weren't the only top team to struggle and it goes to show that it can happen to anyone on any given night.

Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 06-39-38 Arizona vs UCLA - Box Score - January 25, 2022 - ESPN.png

7 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

I'll be at Arkansas and Tennessee.  Those 2 road games worry me, Especially Arkansas. 

@arky, @UF, @UT, and @MSU are all going to be tough!!!   We probably lose 2 of those.   We proved last night that we can play as poorly as anyone!   But hopefully we don’t do that again.   As others stated, this was a perfect storm.   

31 minutes ago, Auburn761345163036 said:

Sports Illustrated cover jinx strikes again. Even though they won the game they lost the No 1 ranking. Sill got the win streak, just don’t let Bama end it next week. 

That wasn’t even a real Sports Illustrated cover. 

• Like 2

Arizona losing last night was big from a national scale.  They were getting buzz with a first place vote etc. I think we will be up for OK. Home, Sonny getting honored, and most importantly rest. 

Sloppy and challenging win on the road is exactly what this team needs to get their head back into the game and bring them back down off that ranking high. 

Coming off a BIG game with Kentucky then the #1 ranking, I actually expected a little bit of a let down in this game and thought it would be closer than we expected it to to be. 

After the game Pearl looked like he lost even though they won.  He’ll use this to motivate them. I’m sure the chants of “overrated” by the Mizzou fans will light a fire under them too. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 3

So fun watching Auburn basketball be randomly hated in every gym they play in now. I mean, chanting anti-Bruce crap while our player is down hurt... in Columbia... Missouri?!? NGL, I LOOOOOVE our guys getting that kind of attention. 

• Like 1

Don't kid yourselves about Mizzou. They are a Xavier Pinson away from having a winning season and knocking on the door of an NCAA bid. LSU has fallen off without the injured Pinson as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, au701948 said:

I may have missed it.  Any report on Green's Knee njury tonite?

Green tweeted his knee was fine :)

• Like 1

Bruce was really frustrated on the post-game show. Never heard him like that. He kept saying “It didn’t have to be like that.” 

He’s usually his upbeat positive self after an ugly close win. Not this game. 

It's basketball -- some nights you can't make 'ish.  to shoot 30% and still win is amazing.  team has heart.  this will be a good lesson for them.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So fun watching Auburn basketball be randomly hated in every gym they play in now. I mean, chanting anti-Bruce crap while our player is down hurt... in Columbia... Missouri?!? NGL, I LOOOOOVE our guys getting that kind of attention. 

I was trying to tell what they were chanting but couldn't make it out. What were they saying?

We played weds against a rival, enormous game Saturday and then at Missouri on Tuesday.  That’s a lot of bball, emotion and travel.  They looked tired.

Some of them were also out at the bars Saturday night (they are college kids so I have zero problem with that (as long as they keep the alcohol to a low intake)

If we simply shoot a poor 40% n stead of an abysmal 30% on our 70!!!!!!! attempts then this is just an ugly but solid win.  We drew fouls, rebounded and kept the turnovers to 10.  We actually did enough to win with cushion if we simply split the difference between shooting percentage last night and our average.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Never in my life did I think I would hear fans from an opposing school chant, "Overrated!" at Auburn's basketball team. We've truly arrived lol.

• Love 3

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The one majorly positive take away from last night, is that I don’t think we’ll have another one like it. A bad game was likely bound to happen at some point, at least it came against Missouri. 

Definitely don't see Jabari with another stinker.  He showed great poise with that final 18 footer near the end of game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Sloppy and challenging win on the road is exactly what this team needs to get their head back into the game and bring them back down off that ranking high. 

Coming off a BIG game with Kentucky then the #1 ranking, I actually expected a little bit of a let down in this game and thought it would be closer than we expected it to to be. 

After the game Pearl looked like he lost even though they won.  He’ll use this to motivate them. I’m sure the chants of “overrated” by the Mizzou fans will light a fire under them too. 

Yes, the hardest win of the season is likely the first game after being #1, just like the hardest hit in baseball is for #3000 or out 27 is the hardest out etc.  I like that we had this poor showing and still won!  Now it's time to take care of business. 

36 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

We played weds against a rival, enormous game Saturday and then at Missouri on Tuesday.  That’s a lot of bball, emotion and travel.  They looked tired.

Some of them were also out at the bars Saturday night (they are college kids so I have zero problem with that (as long as they keep the alcohol to a low intake)

If we simply shoot a poor 40% n stead of an abysmal 30% on our 70!!!!!!! attempts then this is just an ugly but solid win.  We drew fouls, rebounded and kept the turnovers to 10.  We actually did enough to win with cushion if we simply split the difference between shooting percentage last night and our average.

Or don't miss the front end of five 1 and 1 free throw trips. That's ten points left at the free throw line alone right there. I actually think the "play" wasn't that bad. We had a awful shooting night, on pretty decent shots. I would like to see Smith drive the ball more when they are going to get up on him the way they did and he has to do better moving without the ball on the Wen/Kessler pick and rolls. Jabari's man was leaving him to cover Kessler's roll and he stayed in his spot on the wing making a kick out near impossible to make. He (and other wings at times) needed to slide down to the corner and he would have been wide open. 

Here is the look we want when running the high pick and roll. Wen on the ball, Kessler comes to screen, Caimbridge runs the baseline to clear the action side out and Smith on the opposite wing. Here, Smith's man stays connected to him so it is an easy lob to Kessler who slipped the screen. 

image.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 10.21.06 AM.png

Here is a few trips latter: 

Wen at the point with Kessler coming to set the high screen. Smith is running the baseline to clear out with Flannigan on the ball side wing. As Wen attacks Flannigan's man sags to stop the lob and Flannigan stays on the wing instead of sliding down to the corner. This leave Wen with no kick out options. 

image.png

If he slides to the corner, Wen doesn't have to force a shot, he can drive all the way down and kick out along the baseline. But instead he forces a tough shot in traffic. 

image.png

Its the little things like that we need to continue to improve on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

On the fwiw front … Oklahoma played Baylor last Saturday, they play AT WVU tonight and then at Auburn at 1:00 Saturday.  Solid chance they may show up fatigued a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I would like to see Smith drive the ball more when they are going to get up on him the way they did and he has to do better moving without the ball on the Wen/Kessler pick and rolls.

Jabari has issues with the dribble drive. He’s good at backing the defender in, but often loses the ball when dribbling forward through traffic. He has an awkward dribble. That is his biggest negative. Is that what you see as well?

Edited by Viper

3 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Don't kid yourselves about Mizzou. They are a Xavier Pinson away from having a winning season and knocking on the door of an NCAA bid. LSU has fallen off without the injured Pinson as well.

Mizzou has a really good coach too.

• Like 2