Hypothetical Starting 5

Zeek

Alright you're playing a video game with this year's Auburn Basketball team... there's infinite stamina and no substitutions...

What is your starting 5?

Out of the stretch I’m aware of 

Sharife, Okoro, Chuma, Jabari, Kessler 

three shaky shooters, but you have 4 very plus defenders, 5 players who can get to the rim, 4 guys who can impact a defense without the ball and league average height at every position. 

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

three shaky shooters, but you have 4 very plus defenders, 5 players who can get to the rim, 4 guys who can impact a defense without the ball and league average height at every position. 

I thought the question involved only this years roster…..

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I thought the question involved only this years roster…..

Didn’t see that 

Not much you can do with that prompt tbh. The optimal group is gonna feature at least 3 out of the 5 that’s normally starting and probably 4 out of the 5 that closes. No offense to Zeek of course 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just curious…were you only selecting guys from the Pearl era? 

If so, I would select Harper, Bryce Brown, Okeke, Okoro & Jabari.

If from any AU era, Harper, Bryce Brown, Okeke, Chuck Person & Barkley. I realize that would be small ball, but we would average 100/game.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Viper said:

Just curious…were you only selecting guys from the Pearl era? 

If so, I would select Harper, Bryce Brown, Okeke, Okoro & Jabari.

If from any AU era, Harper, Bryce Brown, Okeke, Chuck Person & Barkley. I realize that would be small ball, but we would average 100/game.

Hadn’t watched a game before 2014, wasn’t alive before 99 

Im sure there’s other options even in the stretch I listed but I haven’t seen em all!

This year is pretty straightforward if there’s no subbing allowed. Green, Johnson, Flanigan, Smith, and Kessler gives you the best mix of offense/defense. That’s why those five lead in minutes (since Flan’s return). That’s my five. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

This year is pretty straightforward if there’s no subbing allowed. Green, Johnson, Flanigan, Smith, and Kessler gives you the best mix of offense/defense. That’s why those five lead in minutes (since Flan’s return). That’s my five. 

While I agree with this, I would almost rather have Williams instead of Flannigan.  I say that because at this point, I trust Jaylin more than Allen.  Allen still working his way back to the old self and it shows.  Jaylin gives you as much if not more than Allen right now.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hadn’t watched a game before 2014, wasn’t alive before 99 

Im sure there’s other options even in the stretch I listed but I haven’t seen em all!

It's too bad AU's upset of 1-seed St. John's in 1986 in the 2nd Round isn't on youtube. Person had the best individual single game performance of an AU bball player I've ever seen. 27 points and 15 rebounds. This was the season prior to the adoption of 3-pointers. Person would have scored around 35 with a 3-point line. At halftime, Person, BY HIMSELF, out-rebounded the entire St. John's team 10-9.

He followed that game up by going for 25 points and 11 rebounds against 4-seed UNLV.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This year- Kessler, KDJ, Cambridge, Flan, Green

2 words: Tenacious + Heart.

You don’t have a soon to be NBA top 3 pick in your lineup and go with Cambridge instead?

• Like 1

I will be different here and I would go with a smaller lineup.

Wendell, Zep, KD, Jabari, Kessler.

From what I've seen Flan just hasn't gotten acclimated after the injury. You still have the great defense from Zep, the shooting and the pick and roll action with Wendell. The energy and clutchness from KD. And then of course Jabari.

• Love 1

First of all, it depends on the opponent.  We have the luxury of having several guys who are capable starters!   But in general, getting our best 5 on the court….

Kessler, Smith, Green, KD, and I think right now I would take Cambridge over Flan.   I know, I know…..   But Flan hasn’t really discovered his role on this team yet.  Cambridge fit in very well when he was getting the most minutes.  And he is certainly capable!    Other pieces to plug in depending on the match up would be Zep, if a main goal is shutting down the other team’s PG.  Jaylin, if we need to go bigger.

• Like 1

I love Devin's energy and all, but even this version of Allen is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country. It's not a coincidence that we left him on the floor against Mizzou despite his offensive struggles. He's hell on the defensive end. Plus, there's just more upside to his offensive game. Devin is a streak shooter and a dunker. Nothing else. Flanigan has had multiple double-figure scoring games in SEC play, and he provides the possibility of weakside playmaking.

I love what Devin brings to the team, but there's a reason he's taken a backseat to Allen the last two years.

If I'm tweaking that five for anyone, it's Zep. He's the best on-ball defender in the SEC, and he's good enough as a shooter (though a reluctant shooter) to play off ball without hurting our spacing.

• Love 1

Harper, Flan, chuma, Smith, Kessler. Nobody from the Pearl era is beating this line up

This year green kd flan Smith Kessler

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Harper, Flan, chuma, Smith, Kessler. Nobody from the Pearl era is beating this line up

This year green kd flan Smith Kessler

I'd like to see them play

Mitchell

Brown

Thor

Okoro

Cardwell 

If I had to compete with Pearl players against @cole256's lineup, I'd have to look for wing matchups and shooting.

I'd start with Sharife at PG. He's a terrible defender, but Harp can't stay in front of him either so that gives me (1) the best passer Pearl has ever had by a wide margin and (2) a PG living in the lane.

After that, I need floor spacing. I'd go with KT Harrell for sure because he also had some size at 6'3" or 6'4". I favor picking Okoro because he's a dog defensively and thick enough to push Smith off the nail. Jabari can get his shot based on the height advantage, but it's gonna be a struggle. I want Wiley as my designated screener/diver/rebounder. Plus, I can play Isaac in the dunker's spot off the Cooper/Wiley pick and roll action.

Last spot, I want Samir Doughty over Bryce. Bryce was a better on ball defender, but against that group, we're not worried about ball pressure. We're trying to survive on the glass without giving up shooting. Then, we're going to run the dog out of that team of bigs. We're not getting a lot of stops, but we're trading their 2s for our 3s. I don't think this team beats that team best of 7, but they present mismatches enough to win a few.

Cooper

Harrell

Doughty

Okoro

Wiley

Edited by mcgufcm

This years team only.

C Kessler

PF Jabari

SF Flanigan

SG KD

PG Greene

I would worry about Flanigan running out of steam with no subs since he is not 100% yet.

All Time 

C Kessler - I know Barkley played Center but Kessler is closest to a true Center we have ever had Barkley could player C, PF, SF 

PF Barkley

SF Jabari

SG John Mengelt - Best pure shooter I have ever seen at Auburn and unlimited range - If not him Eddie Johnson. Mengelt and Johnson it is a tossup for me. Johnson was the energizer bunny and had a complete game.

PG Doc Robinson - To many have forgotten how good he was.

Edited by AuburnNTexas