Important Games to Watch or Follow

kennypowers

Several important games tonight in CBB.

#10 Villanova @ #8 Providence - It's a shame this game is on CBS Sports instead of ESPN or FS1. The Friars have won like a million close games and are getting dinged by the computers for it. IIRC they have either the highest or second highest luck rating ever seen on Kenpom. A Providence win puts them in command of the Big East and could move them up to the 2 line. 

Florida @ Texas A&M - UF still has chances to improve their resume but they're on the wrong side of the bubble and they're running out of games. If they lose tonight to a TAMU team that hasn't won in a month their bubble is probably burst barring a red hot finish. 

#4 Kentucky @ #16 Tennessee - If we're ever going to get any help from anybody it's gotta be tonight. Kentucky could be without Toppin and Tyty and they only play seven or eight guys anyway. We'll know by the first TV timeout which Tennessee we're getting tonight. Good Tennessee looks like a top 15 team, bad Tennessee would struggle to score against a team from the YMCA. I've seen UT play a half dozen times and I still don't know if they're a good team or not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If you're a fan of College Basketball this night is insane!

Duke wins on a buzzer beater against Wake.

South Carolina wins with a half court buzzer beater in OT against Ole Miss.

Oklahoma can't hit a buzzer beater and loses to Texas in OT.

Clemson loses by 1 to FSU.

A&M holds on after blowing a 12 point second half lead and wins by 1 against Florida.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

We'll know by the first TV timeout which Tennessee we're getting tonight.

So far it's good Tennessee. Go Vols. 

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Wheeler gets rocked by another screen. His front court are gonna get him so many concussions.

Hey, at least Coach Cal is playing it cool, reserve and professional; and not all energetic like Pearl, or they may be down by 30 instead of 20!  

Down goes UK. Great.  Take care of business tomorrow and we have a 2 game lead over UK and now UTk

THAT Vol team tonight was VERY impressive. They played with their hair on fire. No wonder Powell can’t see the floor. Ziegler and Chandler are quick as lightning. High octane. Totally outplayed UK’s guards. Fulkerson attacked the Big T. Got him in foul trouble. And UT pushing the ball up court? Wow. We’ve owned them for a bit now, but this Vol team looks different.

47 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Zeep better be all over Ziegler when we play UT. He is the little engine that can for them tonight over UK.

I really enjoyed watching him. He reminds me a bit of KD with him getting the crowd fired up at the end of the game.

Also, now I guess we're back to being Arkansas fans on Saturday when they play Tennessee!

I don't know what Kentucky was thinking putting Tyty out there tonight. He didn't look right and he may have injured himself again. Toppin at least looked like a basketball player even though he wasn't 100%. Tyty stirs the drink for them. What does Cal do now? He clearly doesn't trust anyone else in that role and they've got several tough games still to play. 

I went to bed at halftime, but I'm hoping we have a better showing in Knoxville than Kentucky did. That looks to be our toughest game left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I went to bed at halftime, but I'm hoping we have a better showing in Knoxville than Kentucky did. That looks to be our toughest game left.

Definitely our toughest left

• Like 1

Vandy at AU - Stop Pippen, and keep out of foul trouble, and we're golden. 8pm on SECN    Hope we get Fish

St. John's at Xavier should be a good one.  St. John's actually playing well despite their record...might have to make a serious run, or win their tournament though.  Xavier's losses are all to tournament teams...5:30 pm CBSS

MSST in a must win on the road at the Updykes at 6 pm on ESPN2

Boston U looking to stay hot at Holy Cross at 6 pm

Miami FL on the road at Louisville at 6 pm.

Vermont at New Hampshire at 6 pm

Notre Dame hosting BC at 6 pm on ESPNU

Illinois at Rutgers at 6 pm on BTN could be a very good game.

Seton Hall at UConn at 7:30 pm on CBSS

New Mexico State going for win number 21 hosting Dixie State...New Mexico State ... hated that game.

Purdue at a dangerous Northwestern at 8 pm on BTN

Baylor at Texas Tech at 8 pm on ESPN2

Boise on the road at Air Force at 9 pm on FS1

Gonzaga at Pepperdine...another scrimmage for the Zags.

Road games have been killer for a lot of teams this season.

• Like 2

A peak ahead:

Conf losses =         1       3      3       4
     Auburn      UT     UK      Ark
16-Feb      Vandy      
19-Feb  @ UF  @ Ark      ua      UT
23-Feb      OM  @ MIZ      LSU  @ UF
26-Feb  @ UT       AU  @ Ark      UK
2-Mar  @ MSU  @ uga      OM      LSU
5-Mar      SC      Ark  @ UF  @ UT

We must win tonight to keep our 2 game lead; we have more than enough defensive capability to limit their best player.   I hope we play like we did in the A&M game; great D and ~double digit scoring across the team.

19 Feb is separation Saturday. 

- I think if Ark and ua win this weekend (besting UT and UK) and we win, we will be WAY out front to win the regular season.  There would only be 4 games left to make up being 3 games behind.  Mathematically possible, but not very likely; UT would have the only realistic chance because they play us.

26 Feb is lock up Saturday.

- If we can take down UT, we will have won the regular season; there isn't enough games remaining for the closest teams to catch us.

- With 2 easier games remaining, we can rest our starters some before the conference tournament

I see UT splitting the series with Ark. and wins over Mizz and UGA. 3-1

I see UK loosing 2 between Al, ARK, LSU and UF. And a win vs OM - 3-2

Ark already has 4 losses but their last 5 games they split with UT, wins vs UF and LSU and UK. 4-1

We get wins vs Vandy, OM, Miss St, USCe. the toss up is road games at UF and UT. 
For an outright title, Arky needs to beat UT at least once and UK. We really need to win one of UF or UT on the road. 

50 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

A peak ahead:

Conf losses =         1       3      3       4
     Auburn      UT     UK      Ark
16-Feb      Vandy      
19-Feb  @ UF  @ Ark      ua      UT
23-Feb      OM  @ MIZ      LSU  @ UF
26-Feb  @ UT       AU  @ Ark      UK
2-Mar  @ MSU  @ uga      OM      LSU
5-Mar

SC

Ark  @ UF  @ UT

UT will be our biggest worry.  UF may push us, but we'll stretch the lead late.  Same w/ MSST.

Road games have really been a beating for nearly every team in the country, as it should be.

UT I can easily seeing losing at Arkansas...everything else is in their favor.  A win at UT would really boost my confidence.

UK will win out...maybe Arkansas can push them at home...but I dunno.  Healthy players is their story.

Arkansas I could see slipping up at UF...losing to UT 1/2 and against Kentucky.

14 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Zeep better be all over Ziegler when we play UT. He is the little engine that can for them tonight over UK.

That kid is lightning quick, but stays under control.

Tonight, I'm interested in:
Butler at St. John's.  I like this St. John's team.
Ohio at Kent State.  Not a gimme for Ohio.
Richmond at VCU should be a good one.
Wright State at Oakland.
Missouri at Mississippi State just because SEC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's see if Arkansas has any better luck in Gainesville at 6 pm on ESPN2
Michigan State up and down all year at Iowa...at 6 pm on ESPN
Can Tennessee play better at Missouri than other teams at 6 pm on SECN?
Villanova at UConn is the game of the night in my book at 7 pm on FS1.  Go Huskies!
Oklahoma at Tech at 7 pm.
SDSU at Boise at 8 pm on CBSS.
Watch out for an upset in Nashville at 8 pm on SECN
If you haven't had a chance, try to catch some Toledo at W Michigan at 6 pm.  Toledo is dangerous.  Could be a Cinderella Elite 8 team w/ the right matchups in the tournament.

And the game nobody in the entire world cares about..even their fans...UGA at TAMU.

Arkansas beating UT Saturday was huge.  Florida going on a run through Ark and UK would be helpful to us

Man there'd be a ton of value for WGJ to watch some Scotty Pippen Jr film. Way different frame, but you trap this guy, he can identify the right time to shrink and break through the double. He's good at dribbling backwards to reset while still keeping his eyes up, scanning the court. Dude is so savvy

but Pip is also a very tenured player and does have that height advantage. Not a 1 to 1 comparison ofc 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Arkansas beating UT Saturday was huge.  Florida going on a run through Ark and UK would be helpful to us

Appleby is playing some really good ball and Castleton might be the best center in the conference as of right now (like literally as of right now lol). I like that matchup if Sahvir/Tyty are still hampered  and/or out.