What Alabama high school coaches have to say about Bryan Harsin

McLoofus

My undergrad school, Kennesaw State, started their football program in 2015. Brian Bohannon and his staff visited every single high school in the state of Georgia that had football when starting out. I’m talking from tiny single A in South Georgia to massive 7A schools in Gwinnett County. We recruit we pretty well for FCS. 

CBH should look into trying something like that. 

• Like 1

This is rather alarming. He has surely had time to at least visit the high schools and meet the coaches. I don’t understand how he doesn’t realize the importance of relationships.

• Like 5

The solutions to many of Harsin's problems are so obvious. Coaches and players are literally telling him what to do. That gives me some optimism they can be fixed. And pessimism that they existed in the first place. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, casatiger said:

Probably have more questions than answers after reading that.  

That is very much where I am, after reading that.  The coaches that have met him, have good things to say about him.  That is definitely good.  High school coaches that have not met him is confusing.  Is that intentional?  Has he simply not had time to meet all of them yet?  Given his complete lack of familiarity with the area, I would imagine that someone on the staff has been suggesting where he should go, and who he should talk to.  Was he getting bad advice?

• Like 1

How many individual high schools are in Alabama? Georgia? Florida?

It'll be interesting how this works out, because it doesn't seem like he is a star gazer. He'll do his own evaluation, and he's not gonna take a kid that doesn't fit his culture. 

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

It'll be interesting how this works out, because it doesn't seem like he is a star gazer. He'll do his own evaluation, and he's not gonna take a kid that doesn't fit his culture. 

Well, if top players at Montgomery Catholic don't "fit his culture" he's a lost cause.  Those students are well versed and well trained in the religion from kindergarten to senior year.

There is no excuse for him to go to Carver HS in Montgomery and NOT drive 10 miles to Catholic HS. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dshep4au said:

This is rather alarming. He has surely had time to at least visit the high schools and meet the coaches. I don’t understand how he doesn’t realize the importance of relationships.

He from the North...

• Love 1

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

In 14 months when the dang HC hasn't walked in the doors of Thompson HS or Catholic Montg HS (even while he visited Carver in Montg) or Eufaula HS all 3 of which is less than an hour drive from his office desk... he set himself apart from the rest of the rest of the SEC recruiting powers.  Auburn has systematically de-recruited the top players at those schools when the HC won't get in the car and drive less than an hour to shake a few hands, walk the halls and actually meet the coaches and players face to face. 

We are talking about a seasoned HC here, are we to believe he didn't have sense enough to get out and meet HS coaches and players when he's had over a year to do so?  Are we to believe he's been too busy to fit that task into his work schedule after +400 days on the job?  What the heck has be been doing if he hasn't visited one of the elite HS's in this state, Thompson?  WTH? 

It is shocking to read that he has not been to Thompson High School. That team is always loaded with talent and especially this year. It is irresponsible for him to take this kind of attitude. This is absolutely the biggest issue people had with him being hired; he had no recruiting relationships with coaches or players and evidently is in no hurry to build them. He is just riding the clock until he is let go. The quicker he is done at AU will be the better.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

It is shocking to read that he has not been to Thompson High School. That team is always loaded with talent and especially this year. It is irresponsible for him to take this kind of attitude. This is absolutely the biggest issue people had with him being hired; he had no recruiting relationships with coaches or players and evidently is in no hurry to build them. He is just riding the clock until he is let go. The quicker he is done at AU will be the better.

Perhaps he does not like to play with the big boys at Thompson.  This is somewhat unfair of a statement but one is left to wonder why he hangs around Mars Hill for hours and practically has to be asked to leave but cannot seem to find his way to Thompson for a quick hello.  Thompson is no doubt an uphill climb considering where their "funding" comes from for all those nice facilities (it ain't local sales tax), but my goodness coach they have multiple five stars most years.   

Edited by casatiger
Needed to expound a bit.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Perhaps he does not like to play with the big boys at Thompson.  This is somewhat unfair of a statement but one is left to wonder why he hangs around Mars Hill for hours and practically has to be asked to leave but cannot seem to find his way to Thompson for a quick hello.  Thompson is no doubt an uphill climb considering where their "funding" comes from for all those nice facilities (it ain't local sales tax), but my goodness coach they have multiple five stars most years.   

It's not unfair at all IMO.  Because "IF" he's chosen not to play with the big boys, then he gave up before even giving it a shot and AU recruiting is doomed.  "IF" he comes off as small potatoes in this league and he focuses his resources and valuable time around the Mars Hill while out right ignoring the State hot bed's like Thompson then the rest of this conference will eat us alive.  Regardless of where the elite HS funding comes from, Auburn better damn well be a prescience in their facilities on the regular.  

This crew has to sell Auburn Football and to do that you have to have glad hand every HS coach & make sure his stud players know the HC and his vision for AU football.  The old Tiger Prowl tour could do our HC some good.  When Auburn coaches were up front and in the spot light and every HS coach and kid knew our coaching staff immediately.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I hate to quote you again....BUT I recall a comment made 2 couple of weeks ago where a poster on another board linked a call-in from the PF show.  The caller (can't remember his name) claimed to be CBH's father and he was going to bat to defend his son.  Anyway, the stated multiple times that 4-5*'s weren't needed in order to win at Auburn.  That his son felt like a load of 3*'s that were "coached up" could compete just fine in this league and that' was exactly what CBH intended to do.  

I think about your comment above and even one from oracle in this thread, where CBH isn't a "star gazer" that he wants players that fit his "culture" and it sounded like he may even have a stubborn streak where he insists on pursuing the Mars Hill types rather than the Thompson/Catholic HS types. 

IF this is the philosophy, then the dang well better show massive improvements on the field this year or he's toast. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

If Harsin thinks he can be David in a league of Goliaths, his education here will be short but very much to the point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Doesn't matter. You don't go to a vast majority of the Highschool...you go to the places where the talent is, which apparently Harsin isn't doing a great job of even in Alabama. 

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

At a place like Auburn with the history and resources we have id VASTLY prefer a coach who is confident enough to go after the top talent in the region rather than "see how it works out" with a guy who doesn't want to put the hard work in to recruit and instead wants to take the leftovers hoping to find diamonds in the rough.  

It sounds good on paper, but in reality you don't win Championships in the SEC and playoffs by doing your own personal "evaluations" and outcoaching everyone else with lesser talent...It just doesn't happen like that. 

• Like 3

Hopefully now more people will believe what we said a while ago now. But I also hope this means Harsin is changing the way he recruits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This didn't make me feel a bit better after reading. This whole pitch to 3 star recruits sounds a whole like Butch Jones declaring our players have 5 star hearts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

This didn't make me feel a bit better after reading. This whole pitch to 3 star recruits sounds a whole like Butch Jones declaring our players have 5 star hearts. 

I live in TN. Some of the sunshine pumping posters around here sound a lot like UT fans over the last decade. I don't know if AU turns into the next UT, but some of the fanbase is well on its way. 

Meanwhile, UT may have finally found their coach ...

• Like 4

Half the battle is just showing up. Alabama been dominating in recruiting for over a decade now mainly because they were just showing up and showing up often. Harsin and the rest gotta hit the road, these recruits are interested in Auburn but they ain’t coming to Auburn just off name alone.

You actually have to build a relationship with these guys and our staff has been struggling to do that (at least offensively)

• Like 6