What Biden’s Done Right with Ukraine

TexasTiger

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, its my opinion, just like its your opinion is I should reevaluate and let a bully succeed in this mission.

It is my contention Biden is weak and Putin is playing him.  NATO is even weaker because they won’t do anything unless Biden gives the OK.  NATO is an alliance that is as weak as its weakest link.  Guess who that is.

You have made it very clear that your "opinion" is hatred for Biden and Democrats, much love to Putin.

You are actively cheering for our country to fail.

You are transparent.

You are a real American MAGA patriot. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You have made it very clear that your "opinion" is hatred for Biden and Democrats, much love to Putin.

You are actively cheering for our country to fail.

You are transparent.

You are a real American MAGA patriot. 

I hate Biden, he is a fool, but where do you get love for Putin?

I am not actively cheering for our country to fail, I just see it going in the wrong direction under Biden’s leadership.  

The world is divided with India, China and Russia forming an alliance so to speak because of China’s and India’s dependence on Russian oil.  It is no coincidence that those countries are the ones that produce the most CO2 emissions.  Iran using Russia as an intermediary for their nuclear deal and as a result the Saudi’s refusing to take Biden’s phone calls and thinking about selling their oil to China for the yuan.

We have Biden refusing to open up our oil drilling so we could help provide oil to those countries and Democrats urging Biden to ramp up climate change spending.

We have inflation we haven’t seen in 40 years and highest gas prices ever.  The man is a disaster and need to stop being so stubborn and help the American people.

I will tell you what I think and, therefore, transparent.

I am a real American patriot as I believe America is the best country on earth.  I do not want to see us fall as the leader of the Free World.  JMO.

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

So your contention is that Biden, his administration, and the rest of NATO is acting purely out of fear and not even bothering to evaluate actual risk.

Also that if you weigh the risks, it's obvious anyone would act.

Got it.

That's pretty much his argument alright. 

You nailed it. ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's pretty much his argument alright. 

You nailed it. ;)

I get something right every once-in-a-while.

I wish the prize was better.

• Haha 2

I see people on hear that are set in their view and can't give credit to anybody on the other side. It is true that under Obama-Biden that no defensive weaponry was sent to Ukraine and yet when Trump was President he did provide many of the weapons that the Ukrainians initially used to slow down the initial invasion. Trump was right about trying to force NATO to pay the 2% that they had agreed to but his abrasive personality also infuriated our allies.  Biden's weak withdrawal from Afghanistan probably gave Putin the idea that we would sit on the sideline.  Biden's use of the media to thwart Putin's False Flag was a great move making it harder for countries not to condemn. Putin gets the most credit for solidifying the NATO alliance but it did not hurt that Biden was friendlier to our allies then Trump was. I think Biden was initially a little slow in getting defensive weapons to Ukraine but has since picked up the ball and run with it. 

I give credit for Biden drawing a line that we (Including NATO) will not put Boots on the group or assets in the air in Ukraine as Nuclear war is a real option with Putin. I have to wait on what comes of the discussion between Biden and Xi today to determine if he was forcible enough to make sure that China does not give material aid to Russia. It is ok if China doesn't come out completely against Russia as long as they don't help Russia especially by providing military aid.

Biden gets Kudos for the sanctions but I wish he was more supportive of fossil fuel industry in US instead of going to external countries some of who are not our friends. I understand the climate change side of this but since we need the oil and natural gas both for us and our Allies and that our environmental footprint in this country is cleaner then most other countries why not produce hear in a cleaner manner, while still moving ahead with long term greener solutions.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I see people on hear that are set in their view and can't give credit to anybody on the other side. It is true that under Obama-Biden that no defensive weaponry was sent to Ukraine and yet when Trump was President he did provide many of the weapons that the Ukrainians initially used to slow down the initial invasion. Trump was right about trying to force NATO to pay the 2% that they had agreed to but his abrasive personality also infuriated our allies.  Biden's weak withdrawal from Afghanistan probably gave Putin the idea that we would sit on the sideline.  Biden's use of the media to thwart Putin's False Flag was a great move making it harder for countries not to condemn. Putin gets the most credit for solidifying the NATO alliance but it did not hurt that Biden was friendlier to our allies then Trump was. I think Biden was initially a little slow in getting defensive weapons to Ukraine but has since picked up the ball and run with it. 

I give credit for Biden drawing a line that we (Including NATO) will not put Boots on the group or assets in the air in Ukraine as Nuclear war is a real option with Putin. I have to wait on what comes of the discussion between Biden and Xi today to determine if he was forcible enough to make sure that China does not give material aid to Russia. It is ok if China doesn't come out completely against Russia as long as they don't help Russia especially by providing military aid.

Biden gets Kudos for the sanctions but I wish he was more supportive of fossil fuel industry in US instead of going to external countries some of who are not our friends. I understand the climate change side of this but since we need the oil and natural gas both for us and our Allies and that our environmental footprint in this country is cleaner then most other countries why not produce hear in a cleaner manner, while still moving ahead with long term greener solutions.

You realize that permits are way up, right?  By the way, you do great work in the basketball forum.  Love you analysis!

22 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You realize that permits are way up, right? 

I heard on local talk radio that Biden was personally responsible for higher gas prices because he's "shut down" drilling. 

I am sure the MAGA's believe it - right along with the proposition the POTUS can instantly turn off (or turn on) oil supply in real time.

Edited by homersapien
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You realize that permits are way up, right?  By the way, you do great work in the basketball forum.  Love you analysis!

I do realize that but there is much more that can be done. I am a proponent of Green but energy is also a military asset.  Europe in trying to go green especially countries like Germany closed all of its nuclear plants and then realized they did not have enough Solar, Wind, etc to meet their needs so became dependent on Russia and other countries.  This dependency makes them vulnerable. Nuclear waste is not clean but production of nuclear energy is very clean even compared to natural gas.   You have to have a bridge while moving to green. We have made advancements in energy storage which is key if you want to go green but it is still to inefficient and costly.  The future of a green country relies on research Solid state batteries that are economical, can re-charge to 80% within a reasonable time frame and can be recharged enough time that the battery lasts as long as the car. These type batteries and mass manufacturing of electric cars should actually give us clean cars, that are better than internal combustion and cheaper. Today the expense is because not being mass manufactured and also relying to much on old designs with central motor and drive shaft as opposed to small motors at each wheel.  I think we are 5-10 years from that. Next is how how to create recharging stations at gas stations, increase electrical production to re-charge the cars,  and a new tax structure to pay for roads that Electric cars are using. 

There is a lot we can do in this area. Maybe one day I will start an article on it,  The big thing is it is not an overnight process and we often spend to much money on the wrong things that actually slow down the move to Green.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I do realize that but there is much more that can be done. I am a proponent of Green but energy is also a military asset.  Europe in trying to go green especially countries like Germany closed all of its nuclear plants and then realized they did not have enough Solar, Wind, etc to meet their needs so became dependent on Russia and other countries.  This dependency makes them vulnerable. Nuclear waste is not clean but production of nuclear energy is very clean even compared to natural gas.   You have to have a bridge while moving to green. We have made advancements in energy storage which is key if you want to go green but it is still to inefficient and costly.  The future of a green country relies on research Solid state batteries that are economical, can re-charge to 80% within a reasonable time frame and can be recharged enough time that the battery lasts as long as the car. These type batteries and mass manufacturing of electric cars should actually give us clean cars, that are better than internal combustion and cheaper. Today the expense is because not being mass manufactured and also relying to much on old designs with central motor and drive shaft as opposed to small motors at each wheel.  I think we are 5-10 years from that. Next is how how to create recharging stations at gas stations, increase electrical production to re-charge the cars,  and a new tax structure to pay for roads that Electric cars are using. 

There is a lot we can do in this area. Maybe one day I will start an article on it,  The big thing is it is not an overnight process and we often spend to much money on the wrong things that actually slow down the move to Green.

All true. 

The real issue is whether or not free market capitalism can accomplish the transition in time to avoid catastrophe.  It's not really designed to adapt to problems that are not perceived as immediate.  Or to put it another way, to adapt to economic opportunities that are long term instead of immediate.

I don't think it can.  It's the "frog in a pot of gradually heating water" meme.  Pun intended.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

All true. 

The real issue is whether or not free market capitalism can accomplish the transition in time to avoid catastrophe.  It's not really designed to adapt to problems that are not perceived as immediate.  Or to put it another way, to adapt to economic opportunities that are long term instead of immediate.

I don't think it can.  It's the "frog in a pot of gradually heating water" meme.  Pun intended.

It has to be a bit of both. If electric cars are to expensive and have the re-charge and range issue people won't buy.  That said there have been multiple Lab break through's on solid state batteries that have higher density, quicker -re-charge capability, use cheaper available materials and can be re-charged enough times. A couple are testing manufacturing capability with small scale plants being built about two years out to prove viability and cost effectiveness of those small plants then 3-5 years later to go to mass production if those plants work.

During that time all really dirty electric generation plants (coal, oil, etc).  need to be replaced by a combination of green (Solar, Wind, etc.) or natural gas.  The cost of generating energy via Solar and Wind has become very cost competitive until you add the need for storage during hours when those can't create energy or the amount they create is not enough.  Cheap mass storage of energy is the key there. Government is and should fund research. This is one place I would have more Government involvement but with some caveats on things developed from government grants would either be open source or limited time the partner could either only use or license.   

On 3/16/2022 at 2:35 PM, I_M4_AU said:

We have Biden refusing to open up our oil drilling so we could help provide oil to those countries and Democrats urging Biden to ramp up climate change spending.

We have inflation we haven’t seen in 40 years and highest gas prices ever.  The man is a disaster and need to stop being so stubborn and help the American people.

Yeah, and it's all Biden's fault. :rolleyes:

And you call him a "fool"?  :laugh:

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, and it's all Biden's fault. :rolleyes:

And you call him a "fool"?  :laugh:

Who’s fault is it when Biden’s policies have gotten us where we are?

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It has to be a bit of both. If electric cars are to expensive and have the re-charge and range issue people won't buy.  That said there have been multiple Lab break through's on solid state batteries that have higher density, quicker -re-charge capability, use cheaper available materials and can be re-charged enough times. A couple are testing manufacturing capability with small scale plants being built about two years out to prove viability and cost effectiveness of those small plants then 3-5 years later to go to mass production if those plants work.

During that time all really dirty electric generation plants (coal, oil, etc).  need to be replaced by a combination of green (Solar, Wind, etc.) or natural gas.  The cost of generating energy via Solar and Wind has become very cost competitive until you add the need for storage during hours when those can't create energy or the amount they create is not enough.  Cheap mass storage of energy is the key there. Government is and should fund research. This is one place I would have more Government involvement but with some caveats on things developed from government grants would either be open source or limited time the partner could either only use or license.   

Government has always funded basic research, for the exact same reasons I stated above - it's far too long term and risky for free market, capitalistic companies to even consider it.  The age of basic research conducted by private companies is long past.

Government has always funded major capital infrastructure projects - electrification, the interstate system, etc. - simply due to scope or scale.

The issue is not really how to address AGW - you are doing a good job of explaining that.  The problem is politics, which is another way of saying, the problem is with the "us", the people, who ultimately determine government policy. ("We have met the enemy, and it is us". ;))

And popular politics responds much like capitalistic corporations - the people (or at least all too many of the people) aren't sensitive to what they perceive as a largely theoretical, long term problem, not an immediate one worthy of response. 

Unfortunately, the science of this problem - expressed as time -  won't convince a large majority of the people it is immediate until it is too late to attenuate it, much less reverse it.

This is why I am ultimately pessimistic.

But to paraphrase George Carlin, we have detected a line of Russian ICBMs heading for us in space, so I wouldn't sweat anthropogenic global warming. ;) 

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Who’s fault is it when Biden’s policies have gotten us where we are?

We are where we are because of the pre-existing circumstances that created this inflation and gas prices, not because of anything Biden has done -or not done - since elected. 

To believe otherwise is just simple-minded idiocy.

(To put it in terms you can perhaps relate to, it's the same as saying the viral pandemic was caused by Trump, simply because he was POTUS at the time.)

Biden's responsibility includes devising policies that will hopefully deal with this reality moving forward, but they are certainly not his "fault".

So get back to me in 10 years or so and we'll discuss how much of an "idiot" Biden is/was.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

We are where we are because of the pre-existing circumstances that created this inflation and gas prices, not because of anything Biden has done -or not done - since elected. 

To believe otherwise is just simple-minded idiocy.

(To put it in terms you can perhaps relate to, it's the same as saying the viral pandemic was caused by Trump, simply because he was POTUS at the time.)

Biden's responsibility includes devising policies that will hopefully deal with this reality moving forward, but they are certainly not his "fault".

So get back to me in 10 years or so and we'll discuss how much of an "idiot" Biden is/was.

Absolutely.  I wish we had a forum in which issues were discussed, free from all political references.  The fan mentality makes us all stupid.

Do we know what inflation is?

Do we know what causes it?

Can we point to a single policy that created it?

The political answers sound dumb because,,, they are.  As intelligent as,,,  my guy is a hero of mythic proportions, your guy wants to destroy the country.  Sadly we have way too many who believe that is all you need to know in order to be informed.

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Please define and explain those policies.

On January 20th 2021 Biden signed the following:

1,Order rejoining the Paris Climate Accords

Biden signed an executive order putting the U.S. back in the Paris climate accords, fulfilling a top campaign promise that was a key part of his plan to combat climate change.

The international treaty, from which Trump withdrew the U.S., sets goals for nations to limit their carbon emissions to “limit global warming to well below” 2 degrees Celsius.

2,Order revoking permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and stopping oil and pausing gas leasing at Arctic refuge

Biden signed an executive order scrapping a permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, the controversial 1,200-mile structure that carried oil from Canada to the U.S., and placing a temporary pause on oil and gas leasing activities at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Climate activists have panned both projects, saying the Keystone pipeline would carry oil made from tar sands — whose production is carbon intensive — over sacred indigenous lands and the leasing in the refuge could endanger grizzly bears, polar bears, gray wolves and more than 200 species of birds.

But the Keystone decision in particular was quickly slammed by Republicans and some business groups, likely foreshadowing an initial battle for the Biden administration.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/535245-these-are-the-executive-orders-biden-has-signed-so-far

These two EOs were basically a war on the oil industry.

A State Department report sent to Congress concluded that Nord Stream 2 AG and its CEO, Matthias Warnig, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, engaged in sanctionable activity. But Blinken immediately waived those sanctions, saying that it was in the U.S. national interest.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-waive-sanctions-firm-ceo-behind-russias-nord-stream-2-pipeline-source-2021-05-19/

These two actions set the stage for higher gas prices.  Then he signs a $1.9 Trillion Covid relief bill that probably didn’t need to be that much.  So we got a lot of cash chasing fewer goods=inflation.

With his signature, the president checks off his first priority in the White House. He also will give a prime-time addressThursday describing how the country will proceed in fighting the virus a year after the World Health Organization declared it a pandemic.

The plan will send direct payments of up to $1,400 to most Americans. Direct deposits will start hitting Americans’ bank accounts as soon as this weekend, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Thursday.

The bill will also extend a $300 per week unemployment insurance boost until Sept. 6 and expand the child tax credit for a year. It will also put nearly $20 billion into Covid-19 vaccinations, $25 billion into rental and utility assistance, and $350 billion into state, local and tribal relief.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/biden-1point9-trillion-covid-relief-package-thursday-afternoon.html

In conjunction with this Biden signs an EO that exacerbate the work situation and unemployment.

Executive order guaranteeing unemployment insurance for workers who refuse work due to Covid-19

Biden has requested that the Department of Labor consider clarifying its rules to establish that workers “have a federally guaranteed right to refuse employment that will jeopardize their health,” and that workers who do so will still qualify for unemployment insurance.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/here-s-full-list-biden-s-executive-actions-so-far-n1255564

Interesting enough he also signed an EO directing OSHA to protect workers from COVID.

Sec. 2.  Protecting Workers from COVID-19 Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.  The Secretary of Labor, acting through the Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health, in furtherance of the policy described in section 1 of this order and consistent with applicable law, shall:

(a)  issue, within 2 weeks of the date of this order and in conjunction or consultation with the heads of any other appropriate executive departments and agencies (agencies), revised guidance to employers on workplace safety during the COVID-19 pandemic;

(b)  consider whether any emergency temporary standards on COVID-19, including with respect to masks in the workplace, are necessary, and if such standards are determined to be necessary, issue them by March 15, 2021;

(c)  review the enforcement efforts of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) related to COVID-19 and identify any short-, medium-, and long-term changes that could be made to better protect workers and ensure equity in enforcement; 

(d)  launch a national program to focus OSHA enforcement efforts related to COVID-19 on violations that put the largest number of workers at serious risk or are contrary to anti-retaliation principles; and

(e)  coordinate with the Department of Labor’s Office of Public Affairs and Office of Public Engagement and all regional OSHA offices to conduct, consistent with applicable law, a multilingual outreach campaign to inform workers and their representatives of their rights under applicable law.  This campaign shall include engagement with labor unions, community organizations, and industries, and place a special emphasis on communities hit hardest by the pandemic.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-protecting-worker-health-and-safety/

This means Biden and his right hand man Fauci knew they were going with the vaccine mandate from OSHA before he was even in office.  Without this EO he could not have come up with his *work around*.  Such authoritarian behavior from an old grandpa.

I could go on, but it is Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Biden's sanctions against Russia aren't just directed at Putin and the Russian government. The sanctions are targeting the whole country and hurting their economy. Now Russia is responding by suspending fertilizer exports. Food prices are going to be even higher by 2023. It's clear that the sanctions aren't just hurting Russia, they're hurting the U.S. also.

Biden's foreign policy is creating a geopolitical mess. Not only is China supporting Russia but the 2nd most populous country, India, is also aligning with Russia. The narrative that the "whole world" condemns Russia couldn't be more false. The 2 most populous countries are aligning with Russia.

Trump had good relations with India and got a military deal signed in 2020 for more military cooperation from India.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/27/928153680/u-s-and-india-sign-military-agreement-during-pompeo-esper-trip

Now with Biden, India is ignoring U.S. calls to not do business with Russia. Instead, India is buying more oil from Russia.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-business-europe-middle-east-india-ad0ad81c4e7003f62a00af842513b435

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden signed an executive order putting the U.S. back in the Paris climate accords, fulfilling a top campaign promise that was a key part of his plan to combat climate change.

The international treaty, from which Trump withdrew the U.S., sets goals for nations to limit their carbon emissions to “limit global warming to well below” 2 degrees Celsius.

2,Order revoking permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and stopping oil and pausing gas leasing at Arctic refuge

Biden signed an executive order scrapping a permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, the controversial 1,200-mile structure that carried oil from Canada to the U.S., and placing a temporary pause on oil and gas leasing activities at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Climate activists have panned both projects, saying the Keystone pipeline would carry oil made from tar sands — whose production is carbon intensive — over sacred indigenous lands and the leasing in the refuge could endanger grizzly bears, polar bears, gray wolves and more than 200 species of birds.

But the Keystone decision in particular was quickly slammed by Republicans and some business groups, likely foreshadowing an initial battle for the Biden administration.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/535245-these-are-the-executive-orders-biden-has-signed-so-far

These two EOs were basically a war on the oil industry.

A State Department report sent to Congress concluded that Nord Stream 2 AG and its CEO, Matthias Warnig, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, engaged in sanctionable activity. But Blinken immediately waived those sanctions, saying that it was in the U.S. national interest.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-waive-sanctions-firm-ceo-behind-russias-nord-stream-2-pipeline-source-2021-05-19/

These two actions set the stage for higher gas prices.  Then he signs a $1.9 Trillion Covid relief bill that probably didn’t need to be that much.  So we got a lot of cash chasing fewer goods=inflation.

With his signature, the president checks off his first priority in the White House. He also will give a prime-time addressThursday describing how the country will proceed in fighting the virus a year after the World Health Organization declared it a pandemic.

The plan will send direct payments of up to $1,400 to most Americans. Direct deposits will start hitting Americans’ bank accounts as soon as this weekend, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Thursday.

The bill will also extend a $300 per week unemployment insurance boost until Sept. 6 and expand the child tax credit for a year. It will also put nearly $20 billion into Covid-19 vaccinations, $25 billion into rental and utility assistance, and $350 billion into state, local and tribal relief.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/biden-1point9-trillion-covid-relief-package-thursday-afternoon.html

In conjunction with this Biden signs an EO that exacerbate the work situation and unemployment.

Executive order guaranteeing unemployment insurance for workers who refuse work due to Covid-19

Biden has requested that the Department of Labor consider clarifying its rules to establish that workers “have a federally guaranteed right to refuse employment that will jeopardize their health,” and that workers who do so will still qualify for unemployment insurance.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/here-s-full-list-biden-s-executive-actions-so-far-n1255564

Interesting enough he also signed an EO directing OSHA to protect workers from COVID.

Sec. 2.  Protecting Workers from COVID-19 Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.  The Secretary of Labor, acting through the Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health, in furtherance of the policy described in section 1 of this order and consistent with applicable law, shall:

(a)  issue, within 2 weeks of the date of this order and in conjunction or consultation with the heads of any other appropriate executive departments and agencies (agencies), revised guidance to employers on workplace safety during the COVID-19 pandemic;

(b)  consider whether any emergency temporary standards on COVID-19, including with respect to masks in the workplace, are necessary, and if such standards are determined to be necessary, issue them by March 15, 2021;

(c)  review the enforcement efforts of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) related to COVID-19 and identify any short-, medium-, and long-term changes that could be made to better protect workers and ensure equity in enforcement; 

(d)  launch a national program to focus OSHA enforcement efforts related to COVID-19 on violations that put the largest number of workers at serious risk or are contrary to anti-retaliation principles; and

(e)  coordinate with the Department of Labor’s Office of Public Affairs and Office of Public Engagement and all regional OSHA offices to conduct, consistent with applicable law, a multilingual outreach campaign to inform workers and their representatives of their rights under applicable law.  This campaign shall include engagement with labor unions, community organizations, and industries, and place a special emphasis on communities hit hardest by the pandemic.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/21/executive-order-protecting-worker-health-and-safety/

This means Biden and his right hand man Fauci knew they were going with the vaccine mandate from OSHA before he was even in office.  Without this EO he could not have come up with his *work around*.  Such authoritarian behavior from an old grandpa.

I could go on, but it is Saturday.

political cartoon

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

political cartoon

The US in 2021:  

68 United States 2.1 2.4 1.8 1.2 4.3

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/economic-data/worlds-highest-lowest-inflation-rates

That’s 68th out of 191 countries.

You can see the trend as 2.1 was in 2017 and fell to 1.2 in 2020 and then Joe Biden happened. We are now a 7.9% year over year.  That’s almost 2 x that of last year, way to go Joe.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The US in 2021:  

68 United States 2.1 2.4 1.8 1.2 4.3

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/economic-data/worlds-highest-lowest-inflation-rates

That’s 68th out of 191 countries.

You can see the trend as 2.1 was in 2017 and fell to 1.2 in 2020 and then Joe Biden happened. We are now a 7.9% year over year.  That’s almost 2 x that of last year, way to go Joe.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Yeah, rejoining the Paris Climate Accords and revoking the Keystone Pipeline permit were catastrophic triggers for inflation. :rolleyes: 

Now how exactly did that work again?

You're becoming too much of a hoot to even be useful as a foil.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, rejoining the Paris Climate Accords and revoking the Keystone Pipeline permit were catastrophic triggers for inflation. :rolleyes: 

Now how exactly did that work again?

You're becoming too much of a hoot to even be useful as a foil.

Pay attention.  The oil issue embolden Russia to hold Europe hostage to Russian gas as Europe was deep into the Paris Climate Accords.  Germany has reversed it’s stance on Nuclear power just so they would not be so dependent on Russian oil.  Probably too little to late, but they have seen where this green energy isn’t ready for prime time.  Joe hasn’t.  That ‘s just the oil side of it.

Joe passed a $1.9 trillion stimulus bill that had a lot of moneys that were not needed and passed another $1.9 trillion infrastructure bill just last year.  That’s $3.8 trillion injected into the economy chasing goods that are hampered by supply chain issues.  I know the former Mayor of South Bend has been working on the supply chain issues after his paternity leave ended, but not much has been done.  Now China has locked down it’s production in certain areas because (of all things) COVID and you get what you have now.  High inflation.  Some of it is bad timing other things are bad leadership.

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 2:41 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Pay attention.  The oil issue embolden Russia to hold Europe hostage to Russian gas as Europe was deep into the Paris Climate Accords.  Germany has reversed it’s stance on Nuclear power just so they would not be so dependent on Russian oil.  Probably too little to late, but they have seen where this green energy isn’t ready for prime time.  Joe hasn’t.  That ‘s just the oil side of it.

Joe passed a $1.9 trillion stimulus bill that had a lot of moneys that were not needed and passed another $1.9 trillion infrastructure bill just last year.  That’s $3.8 trillion injected into the economy chasing goods that are hampered by supply chain issues.  I know the former Mayor of South Bend has been working on the supply chain issues after his paternity leave ended, but not much has been done.  Now China has locked down it’s production in certain areas because (of all things) COVID and you get what you have now.  High inflation.  Some of it is bad timing other things are bad leadership.

Well, speaking of "paying attention", apparently you weren't aware that the Keystone pipeline would not have an impact on gas prices.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-the-keystone-pipeline-help-limit-rising-gas-prices-oil-cbs-news-explains/

Keystone XL, an expansion of an existing North American pipeline, would have carried 830,000 barrels of crude oil from Alberta, Canada, to Nebraska daily at its peak. At the time Mr. Biden halted its construction, the $8 billion expansion was only about 8% complete, according to Reuters. 

Yet many experts agree that moving ahead with the pipeline wouldn't have prevented U.S. gas prices from climbing to a record high. Expanding the Keystone would have increased global oil production by less than 1%, an amount, they explained, is "almost negligible." 

"I can see why people make that connection," Nemet said."But in terms of gasoline prices and global oil prices, it's just something it's better to just ignore because it would have no impact." 

So that's simply a political meme.

As far as the risk/benefits of the stimulus packages, both need to ascertained.  And it's hardly a cut and dried conclusion.

https://en.as.com/en/2022/01/19/latest_news/1642555340_994917.html

Are stimulus checks causing inflation in the United States?

After a recession or economic disruption economies normally experience a period of higher inflation, but are the stimulus checks to blame in this case?

Edited by homersapien

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Apparently you weren't aware that the Keystone pipeline did not affect supply.  We are getting the same amount of oil, it's simply be shipped a different way

You’re making stuff up.  Where in the quoted statement did I mention the Keystone XL pipeline?

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You’re making stuff up.  Where in the quoted statement did I mention the Keystone XL pipeline?

On 3/19/2022 at 6:15 PM, I_M4_AU said:

But the Keystone decision in particular was quickly slammed by Republicans and some business groups, likely foreshadowing an initial battle for the Biden administration.....

Edited by homersapien