What area needs the most attention in spring ball

aubiefifty

What area needs the most attention for Auburn in spring ball

Patrick Conn
3 minutes

We have spoken ad nauseam about areas of emphasis for the Auburn Tigers heading into spring football. Whether it has been about the quarterback situation or who will step up for the wide receivers. Both groups have their limitations in terms of experience.

Incumbent starter TJ Finley has started a handful of games between his time at LSU in 2020 and with the Tigers in 2021. He served mostly as the backup to Bo Nix until an injury ended his season. Finley would finish out the season started the final three games.

Then we have the addition of Zach Calzada, who took over in week two at Texas A&M following the injury to Haynes King. Now the two will battle it out for the starting job along with Oregon Ducks transfer Robby Ashford, who has yet to see the field at the FBS level.

Shedrick Jackson will lead the charge at wide receiver after a mass exodus at the position through the transfer portal. However, one media outlet doesn’t think either of these positions is the biggest area to address during the spring.

What 247Sports Says…

54387b1b1e0e4a61b9a4abb4facc9f73.jpg

AP Photo/Matthew Hinton

Auburn returns four starters along its offensive front, but those players have to perform with more consistency than what was shown during the 2021 season. Bluntly, the Tigers underwhelmed at the line of scrimmage and if chief playmaker Tank Bigbsy is primed for a major campaign this fall to aid in the transition to T.J Finley or Zach Calzada as the starting quarterback, Auburn’s renewed sense of nastiness at the point of attack needs to show up. Best-case scenario for Auburn under the direction of a new offensive coordinator next season is that the offensive line is not a liability.

As it always does, the success of any team begins in the trenches. While they return most of the starting five, they have to find a way to improve in 2022. The Tigers allowed 23 sacks a season ago. It isn’t a horrible number compared to the rest of the SEC, but definitely room for improvement.

Auburn also allowed 101 total quarterback pressures. The tackle duo of Brodarius Hamm and Austin Troxell allowed 39 of them. Troxell will need to be improved this upcoming season.

Contact/Follow us @AuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions.

Follow Patrick on Twitter: @PatrickConnCFB

We must find a QB who can win SEC games.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Patrick Conn
3 minutes

We have spoken ad nauseam about areas of emphasis for the Auburn Tigers heading into spring football. Whether it has been about the quarterback situation or who will step up for the wide receivers. Both groups have their limitations in terms of experience.

Incumbent starter TJ Finley has started a handful of games between his time at LSU in 2020 and with the Tigers in 2021. He served mostly as the backup to Bo Nix until an injury ended his season. Finley would finish out the season started the final three games.

Then we have the addition of Zach Calzada, who took over in week two at Texas A&M following the injury to Haynes King. Now the two will battle it out for the starting job along with Oregon Ducks transfer Robby Ashford, who has yet to see the field at the FBS level.

Shedrick Jackson will lead the charge at wide receiver after a mass exodus at the position through the transfer portal. However, one media outlet doesn’t think either of these positions is the biggest area to address during the spring.

What 247Sports Says…

54387b1b1e0e4a61b9a4abb4facc9f73.jpg

AP Photo/Matthew Hinton

Auburn returns four starters along its offensive front, but those players have to perform with more consistency than what was shown during the 2021 season. Bluntly, the Tigers underwhelmed at the line of scrimmage and if chief playmaker Tank Bigbsy is primed for a major campaign this fall to aid in the transition to T.J Finley or Zach Calzada as the starting quarterback, Auburn’s renewed sense of nastiness at the point of attack needs to show up. Best-case scenario for Auburn under the direction of a new offensive coordinator next season is that the offensive line is not a liability.

As it always does, the success of any team begins in the trenches. While they return most of the starting five, they have to find a way to improve in 2022. The Tigers allowed 23 sacks a season ago. It isn’t a horrible number compared to the rest of the SEC, but definitely room for improvement.

Auburn also allowed 101 total quarterback pressures. The tackle duo of Brodarius Hamm and Austin Troxell allowed 39 of them. Troxell will need to be improved this upcoming season.

Contact/Follow us @AuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions.

Follow Patrick on Twitter: @PatrickConnCFB

You mention that Ham and Troxell allowed 39 hurries. That is about 40% of the number allowed there are 5 O-Linemen which basically means they are 0% of the O-Line. I do agree they were probably worse 2 on that front. 

There is no one Group that needs the most attention. O-Line stands out every year of course, if Calzada could do contact this spring QB would be up there with the O-Line but without him practicing I think QB won't be decided till fall unless somebody really steps up this spring. Basically a new WR group, lost 2 out of 3 top LB's and the returner Pappoe was out injured most of last year, we lost our two key DB's.  D-Line I am not worried about other then from a depth perspective. We are solid at TE and RB so I am not worried about them.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

All of them except the RBs and TEs. 

Agree and our D line returned a lot of talent. Our kicker stuck around even tho we signed the top HS kicker, so there are a couple of decent areas. Otherwise, a TON of work to do to even remain competitive and win 6. 

Not The band!

Edited by Hopsing

Everything obviously, but receiver. OL is what it is with this group of guys. I do think Zierer could be better than Trox at LT, and conversely, Trox more comfortable at RT than Bro Hamm. But WR is really bad outside of the slot. Unlike OL though, I do think there's room to improve the outlook if they get a portal guy or two that can be a WR1

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Everything on offense except the top 2 RB’s

I would argue both of them need a lot of work, too. Both guys left a good bit of yardage on the field. Of course that is the strength of the offense, but still lot of improvement to be made there.

6 hours ago, au302 said:

Everything obviously, but receiver. OL is what it is with this group of guys. I do think Zierer could be better than Trox at LT, and conversely, Trox more comfortable at RT than Bro Hamm. But WR is really bad outside of the slot. Unlike OL though, I do think there's room to improve the outlook if they get a portal guy or two that can be a WR1

Our pass pro was ok last year, but run blocking atrocious.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a single position that doesn't need a ton of attention.

QB - Both TJ & Calzada have a ton of room for improvement

OL - They've been awful for 2 years.  Bunch of guys returning that consistently graded near the bottom of SEC players week in and week out.  Jones is probably the only one that should be a lock starter.

RB - Tank has loads of talent, but missed some holes.  Can improve/utilized more catching the ball.  Like Hunter, but out side of LSU he didn't really have a good SEC game.  He got blown up often at the LOS

WR - So little returning

TE - Can someone step up behind Shenker

DL - I guess the least of our concern, but we really need someone to break out as a pass rushing threat.  Need depth

LB - Little to No experience behind Pappoe, who didn't play well when healthy last year

CB - Can DJ James take a starting spot?  Can Pritchett step up and be the #1 CB.  Simpson go picked on a lot last year

S - Who steps up after Zion??

My order of concern would probably be 
OL
QB
WR
LB
S
CB
DL
TE
RB

• Like 1

what is the word on steiner? all i heard was he was going to be a beast and now it seems we hear little out of him.

WRs.  Good receiver play would turn this team into very good very quick.  Defense still has enough talent to be good with an offense that doesn’t strand them on the field like Miss State and Bama games.  Running game comes alive when the LBs have to respect the pass.  Good receivers make average QBs look good. 

• Like 1

Who is the talent on the D line that people speak of?

We literally have to get better everywhere. At best this year the defense was going to carry us but with all the losses this year may be pretty rough. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Who is the talent on the D line that people speak of?

We literally have to get better everywhere. At best this year the defense was going to carry us but with all the losses this year may be pretty rough. 

Last year most everyone thought we'd have an elite defense. Seems ppl are back on there wagon again

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

ThTs not a Spring problem. That seems to be a recurring theme.

Yeah, negative fan emotions tend to recur right along with our intensely mediocre- or, in the case of this most recent one, worse- football seasons.

The football team needs to get a lot better and fast. The coaches need to do a better job than they have so far and the players need to be better. When that happens, the fan support will come. That's how it's always worked and, despite whatever strange affection some fans have for him, that's how it's going to work with this coach. 

The football program will earn what it earns. 

We have 5 QBS on scholarship.  Is Calzada good to go in the Spring? I see no way all 5 get an equal shot. I'm afraid my favorite, D Davis will be wearing a different uniform next year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is Calzada good to go in the Spring?

There are differing reports on what he'll be able to do and how limited he'll be.  QBs aren't ever live, so I don't really see why he can't go through nearly everything.  By A-Day he'll be 16 weeks out from surgery.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There are differing reports on what he'll be able to do and how limited he'll be.  QBs aren't ever live, so I don't really see why he can't go through nearly everything.  By A-Day he'll be 16 weeks out from surgery.

What did he have surgery on?

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Just because it isn't live doesn't mean he won't get hit. If he's hurt you can't put him out there. QB's get hit when it's not live all the time

• Thanks 1