Hoover High's first game

AURainman

Linky, Dinky

ESPN to broadcast Hoover's football season-opener

Thursday, June 30, 2005

RYAN YOUNG

News staff writer

Hoover High football's season-opener Aug. 27 will be shown nationally on ESPN.

The Saturday game against Nease High School of St. Augustine, Fla., will be played at Hoover's Buccaneer Stadium at 11 a.m.

This will be the first time an Alabama high school football team has played in an ESPN-televised game, network spokesman Mike Humes said.

Hoover's team has received a spate of national publicity recently. It was mentioned in Sports Illustrated as one of the nation's top high school athletic programs, and school officials are in contract talks about the possibility of the team's being followed throughout the season for an MTV documentary.

"When you have a high-profile program, you look for opportunities to accentuate the positives and expose our school and program on a national level," Hoover Athletics Director Jerry Browning said.

"Winning three consecutive 6A state championships, we obviously have recognition in the state of Alabama. But we are very interested in pursuing national goals as well, and ESPN is just a tremendous, tremendous opportunity for us."

The Bucs finished last season 15-0 and have appeared in the 6A state title game each of the past five seasons, winning four.

Nease went 11-2 last season, led by one of the nation's most highly touted high school quarterbacks, Tim Tebow, who broke Florida state records with 4,286 passing yards and 5,552 total yards.

Browning would not disclose financial details. He said Hoover has "made more money at other games for sure, but it is a fair contract."

Hoover will collect a portion of the gate receipts and is also paying Nease an undisclosed sum to help with travel costs. The schools had agreed to play before Paragon Marketing Group negotiated the contract to have the game televised on ESPN.

"People have a misconception that when you're on ESPN, they're going to pay you thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to be on television," Browning said. "They don't have to do that. It costs a lot of money to be on television.

"It's about the exposure," he said. "We're playing a great team from Florida that has a tremendous quarterback, and we're getting to play on national television. You can't ask for much better than that."

Buccaneer Stadium will be expanded with extra bleachers to hold 11,500 people, Browning said. Tickets ($10 for adults and $8 for students) will be sold in advance through Hoover High School, but Browning did not know when sales would begin. A postgame concert by a yet-to-be-decided band will be held.

Great News for a local High School (*cough* My Alma Mater *cough*)

No offense to any Hoover people...but I can't wait for the day that Spain Park knocks their butts back to planet Earth...sooo tired of hearing about THE University of Hoover. :rolleyes:

Just so my lazy a** doesn't have to go check, are we looking at any Hoover players this season??

169966[/snapback]

We are looking at Hoover OL Bryan Morgan.

Food for thought:-- I'm not sure that negative comments about a high school will help our recruiting there. Think about it.

Food for thought:-- I'm not sure that negative comments about a high school will help our recruiting there.  Think about it.

170048[/snapback]

So because Auburn is recruiting Hoover players, that means I have to be a Hoover fan? Come on...

Archived