Big Hit

Guest Tigrinum Major

I was there and it's still my favorite all time big hit. Carlos "Wheat Toast" Cheatum laid the lumber. I think Cobb is still sitting on the end of the bench sayin' "Where he at"?

thehit.jpg

Here is a picture. Cobb was at the AU/TN game this year. I thought the site of an AU jersey would make him p--- in his pants. What kept his head from popping off?

IMHO, the Reggie Brown hit this past year against UGA surpassed the Cheatum hit on Cobb. If my memory serves me correctly, Cobb got right up after the hit was made and was not seriously injured. When I saw the Reggie Brown hit last year, I thought that he had died, seriously. Brown lay motionless on the ground for about ten minutes before walking off the field with support from the UGA trainers. It was so bad that everyone in Jordan Hare and everyone watching on TV was praying for his safety.

Alex

When Cheattom popped Cobb, it seemed like the stadium went quiet for a second, as if inhaling, then exploded...kind of a combination of yelling and that distinctive "OOOOOHHHHH" sound.

Reggie did get up, but he didn't play much (if at all) in the second half...I remember him sitting on the bench with a towel over his head, getting serenaded with "Reg-gie...Reg-gie".

What I had forgotten until watching the clip again is that not only did Cheattom rattle Cobb's teeth, he recovered the resulting fumble.

It's still the hardest hit I've seen in person.

When Cheattom popped Cobb, it seemed like the stadium went quiet for a second, as if inhaling, then exploded...kind of a combination of yelling and that distinctive "OOOOOHHHHH" sound.

Reggie did get up, but he didn't play much (if at all) in the second half...I remember him sitting on the bench with a towel over his head, getting serenaded with "Reg-gie...Reg-gie".

What I had forgotten until watching the clip again is that not only did Cheattom rattle Cobb's teeth, he recovered the resulting fumble.

170373[/snapback]

I agree. This was textbook hit. The brown hit was just happenstance, and a freak hit. I was in the student section in the enzone right behind Cobb. It was like a big "oh, crap" went up. The best part was that Cobb got up and we were able to cheer and gain momentum. Helluva hit. Luckily I avoided Carlos while there. Can't say the same about Kevin Porter though.

That was my very first BIG TIME Auburn game I ever went to my freshman year on the Plains. Ahhhh, sweet memories!!

I also remember Reggie parked on the bench with the towel over his head. And if I'm not mistaken his co-hort Chuck Webb got his own head damn near taken off in the same game. I vaguely remember seeing both of them just sitting there on the bench, and I almost felt sorry for those boys. Almost.

Thanks for the clip. HURRY UP SEPT. 3!!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Guest Tigrinum Major

170373[/snapback]

I agree. This was textbook hit. The brown hit was just happenstance, and a freak hit. I was in the student section in the enzone right behind Cobb. It was like a big "oh, crap" went up. The best part was that Cobb got up and we were able to cheer and gain momentum. Helluva hit. Luckily I avoided Carlos while there. Can't say the same about Kevin Porter though.

170417[/snapback]

Fred Smith was after those guys, right? That was the hardest hitter on a consistent basis, pound for pound, that I have ever seen.

Look at his form in hitting Cobb!! Textbook. I think Juinor's hit on Reggie Brown was a lot harder though. he was out cold as soon as he was hit you could tell the lights had gone out. THe Cobb hit was for sure one for the books.

I was @ the game as well. Jim Fyffe gave the play it's due: "OH MY! Carlo Cheatom really laid the wood to him." :big:

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

Sad how people here in Oklahoma called Rosegreen's `cheap'..Brown squated before the hit..

Best two hits Ive ever seen in college were:

1 The Penn St.?Michigan game where the PSU Te was streaking down te far sideline and got hit and knocked all the way to the BENCH flat on his tail (several years back)

2. THe FSU.Miami game two years ago where FSU ran a fake reverse and threw to the guy behind the line and he was hit (blindsided) and spun a full circle on the we turf...AWESOME!!

Lord, I hate to admit this, but the Ohio State safety's hit on Stacy Danley in the Citrus Bowl(I think) was sick. Danley was conscious but Dye came out on the field and told him not to get up until he could run off the field. He also said to make sure and find the guy who hit him and point to him, lettin' him know he'll be back.

Danley did just that.

esquire, that hit you're talking about was the 1/1/90 HOF Bowl (now the Outback) and it was one Zack Dumas that laid Stacy out...Reggie Slack just floated that little flare out to Danley and he just had to wait there and take the lick.

We were behind 14-3, I believe, when that happened...we went on to score 28 unanswered points.

That hit and one that Texas A&M LB Quentin Coryatt put on TCU wideout Kyle McPherson in 1991 are probably the two hardest I've seen on television.

Hope the link works:

thehit.gif

Did that guy live???  Holy schnickies!! :blink:

170738[/snapback]

Yes, he made it, but he did suffer a broken jaw.

What amazed me so much about that hit was Carlos' ability to hop on the live ball he just seperated from Reggie as he delievered that hammer of a hit. Reggie didn't ' get right up', and didn't play much, if any, afterward.

• 10 months later...

This doesnt involve AU, but.....

this is block off the ball, but still- It looks like something out of those NFL Blitz games.

Colorado @ Thug U

Although it's a nice hit, I still have strong feelings about that program and will continue to refer to them as 'Thug U'

I think the Quentin Coryatt hit is the best ever! he broke the players jaw in 3 places Quentin Coryatt

I know its has already been said but i posted the link because I couln't open the other one!

Archived