4 star WR Karmello English Decommits from Auburn

Sizzle

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I expected Cobb and Enlgish (The delay from English initially had me panicking). My concern still is out there. Faulk is supposed to be committing elsewhere which looks really bad for us and McElderry going to Alabama is a hard pill to swallow.

Offensive Line is just a murky issue right now with no clear answers.

I'll just say that this has seemingly been AU recruiting for a chunk of time now. If bama, UGA, etc, want them, we are facing an uphill battle. until we show consistency as a program and win, we will continue to have these types of things happen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

I asked over on On3 about Juco's yesterday and Keith said that he knows we're looking at at least 2 Juco DL right now. People won't like that but I'm cool with it because of our success with Juco's over the years.

OL is murky like you said. Our OT board specifically seems small. I've seen some chatter that we have a couple quiet OT targets that were scout finds that the staff is trying to keep under wraps, but who knows if that's true.

I hope we can somehow get Ramil and DJ Chester. That would cover both OT spots (despite Chester being a swing guy). Then keep working on Hughley.

Inside guys I just hope we can land Lew and another.

With how many OL are leaving this year people are foolish if they think freshmen are going to take a spot. We will be busting our ass in the portal for starting OL to hold us over while younger guys continue to develop. We shall see.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I hope we can somehow get Ramil and DJ Chester. That would cover both OT spots (despite Chester being a swing guy). Then keep working on Hughley.

With how many OL are leaving this year people are foolish if they think freshmen are going to take a spot. We will be busting our ass in the portal for starting OL to hold us over while younger guys continue to develop. We shall see.

I don’t understand how we didn’t at least get a couple JUCO or FCS OL to come to us. Just makes no sense. We keep saying the same things but damn Will Friend really is a weak spot on this staff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t understand how we didn’t at least get a couple JUCO or FCS OL to come to us. Just makes no sense. We keep saying the same things but damn Will Friend really is a weak spot on this staff. 

Which is what's frustrating, bc he was always considered a good recruiter at the very least before he came here, but on the same token, in this NIL era now, I don't think we are doing enough. We should be breaking the bank for OL with how our OL has been for around a decade now 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The problem is Friend as a developer is considered one of the best in the country.

I do wonder if maybe there is some disagreement when it comes to evaluation and offering. Allegedly there was someone he wanted to offer just before February NSD and Harsin either ignored or shot it down. But of course I find it hard to believe he'd stick around another season if there was that much headbutting going on. So, who knows? If he can show he can develop O-Linemen, then I'm willing to give him a pass for his recruiting efforts.

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For sure. We're gonna need 3 portal guys minimum, including a center. Hopefully Eston Harris (RG) and Colby Smith (RT) are ready to roll next year. That'd be huge. Then hope Stutts really does take Council's job this year, perform well, and stick around next year. But even if that happens we'd still need a LT and C out the portal. Friend's gotta start earning that check right now. 

19 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'll just say that this has seemingly been AU recruiting for a chunk of time now. If bama, UGA, etc, want them, we are facing an uphill battle. until we show consistency as a program and win, we will continue to have these types of things happen.

I thought both Bama and UGA had offers in for English?

Just now, Hank2020 said:

That's not talking about every player, some just want to come to AU, but in todays age with NIL, what those schools have produced to the NFL, we do face an uphill battle. We had Quinnen Williams committed for like a year plus and as soon as bama came, he said cya. It's just how it is, being in an area where your rivals are producing and you aren't 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's possible (though unlikely) that Chester or Hughley could start as a true freshman. Not ideal, because generally anything short of a legit 5 star talent needs a year of college weight training on offensive line, but they're probably good enough that they could pick up some slack even as a true frosh. 

But even if that happens, we're still going to need 3-4 guys, at least, who we can simply plug and play with. Whether that's someone already on the roster or a transfer, I don't know, but I would think there'd need to be at least a few transfers coming in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If he can show he can develop O-Linemen, then I'm willing to give him a pass for his recruiting efforts.

But that’s the problem though. You have to bring guys in to order to actually develop them. He’s not bringing anybody in

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

That's not talking about every player, some just want to come to AU, but in todays age with NIL, what those schools have produced to the NFL, we do face an uphill battle. We had Quinnen Williams committed for like a year plus and as soon as bama came, he said cya. It's just how it is, being in an area where your rivals are producing and you aren't 

I agree but see this as a step forward too. Obviously those two schools have been more productive over last 10 years as a whole so would carry more weight. It just seemed like the comment was insinuating we can never win against them. But you are correct (IMO) if we match NIL we will definitely win more. I am just taking this one as a win and celebrating that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree but see this as a step forward too. Obviously those two schools have been more productive over last 10 years as a whole so would carry more weight. It just seemed like the comment was insinuating we can never win against them. But you are correct (IMO) if we match NIL we will definitely win more. I am just taking this one as a win and celebrating that.

No,  I'm not saying that we can't we win against them, it's just that's it's an uphill battle with a chunk of top prospects given production and now nil, that is what I meant by my post 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CR said:

Thats a good get from a school Auburn has struggled with for years.

And we also don’t have the best relationship with their head coach either these days….

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Need a ultra aggressive staff like how chizik’s was. Filled with strong recruiters. Trooper, luper, tommy thigpen, Jeff Grimes  we’re all alpha apex predator recruiters! I know Georgia wasn’t what it is now in recruiting under richt but they still were a force. In my lifetime that’s imo the best recruiting staff we have ever had. We went toe to toe with bama, Georgia, lsu etc and won our fair share of elite recruiting battles. We played in the grey area and pushed the envelope. I miss those days. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

The problem is Friend as a developer is considered one of the best in the country.

I do wonder if maybe there is some disagreement when it comes to evaluation and offering. Allegedly there was someone he wanted to offer just before February NSD and Harsin either ignored or shot it down. But of course I find it hard to believe he'd stick around another season if there was that much headbutting going on. So, who knows? If he can show he can develop O-Linemen, then I'm willing to give him a pass for his recruiting efforts.

He is? Tennessee fans would vehemently disagree. He was a great recruiter there getting 2 or 3 five stars but they had egregiously bad OL play under him.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

Great pickup War Eagle and welcome to Auburn.

• Like 2

Happy for @Zeek . Don’t like seeing you negative man. Even if I’ve been so down on AU football since the NO win November. Last week was rough to watch from a distance. Your back baby!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Need a ultra aggressive staff like how chizik’s was. Filled with strong recruiters. Trooper, luper, tommy thigpen, Jeff Grimes  we’re all alpha apex predator recruiters! I know Georgia wasn’t what it is now in recruiting under richt but they still were a force. In my lifetime that’s imo the best recruiting staff we have ever had. We went toe to toe with bama, Georgia, lsu etc and won our fair share of elite recruiting battles. We played in the grey area and pushed the envelope. I miss those days. 

I don't think a lack of talent was what brought Gus down ultimately, but re-hiring a Gene, who could've overseen the talent accumulation part of things, I really think that would've helped in a lot of ways

1. Would've been Gus admitting that he needed significant help w/roster mngt, which I think we all could see that towards the end 

2. Would've had Gene handling the one aspect of football he was elite in 

3. A group like you described, even with relatively poor NIL budgeting, would've been killing it nowadays. You need some dirtbaggery on your staff, to put it blunt

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think a lack of talent was what brought Gus down ultimately, but re-hiring a Gene, who could've overseen the talent accumulation part of things, I really think that would've helped in a lot of ways

1. Would've been Gus admitting that he needed significant help w/roster mngt, which I think we all could see that towards the end 

2. Would've had Gene handling the one aspect of football he was elite in 

3. A group like you described, even with relatively poor NIL budgeting, would've been killing it nowadays. You need some dirtbaggery on your staff, to put it blunt

I think you are defining what the modern (successful) power 5 coaching staff will look like. 

Head coach will be a CEO type.

Coordinators will be excellent Xs and Os type.

Position coaches will be super recruiters.

Gus was a good coach, good guy,,, just not a CEO.  As much as people complained about Luper and Trooper, they knew their roles.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I read where both liked English but had other players prioritized. Georgia is after at least one 5 star. Bama signed a big wr class last year, so they can only take a few. The problem is that if those schools don't get the ones they wanted more and come back to English...will he reconsider? Getting a commitment is just the first step. 

1 hour ago, peashooter said:

I read where both liked English but had other players prioritized. Georgia is after at least one 5 star. Bama signed a big wr class last year, so they can only take a few. The problem is that if those schools don't get the ones they wanted more and come back to English...will he reconsider? Getting a commitment is just the first step. 

Getting a commitment in my mind is after many successful steps. Definitely not at the end as they can still change their minds but if we are giving all these other schools (Bama and UGA included), seems disingenuous to minimize our commitments and glorify theirs (not saying your post does that). Is there any information that you know of that says they (RB and WR did not have commit-able offers?

Edited by Hank2020

59 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Getting a commitment in my mind is after many successful steps. Definitely not at the end as they can still change their minds but if we are giving all these other schools (Bama and UGA included), seems disingenuous to minimize our commitments and glorify theirs (not saying your post does that). Is there any information that you know of that says they (RB and WR did not have commit-able offers?

Georgia/Bama aren't on Cobb's offer list on 247. English was injured. I think he was offered by both but not prioritized as much as some. That may change after this season. He may be locked in but if those or others come after him hard you don't know if he will reconsider. Georgia is in on at least one 5 star, Bama got the no 1 Juco wr(which is good since it is one less wr spot). So, we'll see. 

• Like 1